Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

rhag posted:

Wouldn't something like http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ work? I believe it does have scheduling. If that won't work for you, there are download managers out there that can help you out.

Hrmm - that looks very promising! I will check it out and report back. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

rhag posted:

Wouldn't something like http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ work? I believe it does have scheduling. If that won't work for you, there are download managers out there that can help you out.

I've tested this out and while a little awkward to figure out at first it works perfectly for what I need. If you would like a forums upgrade or an AV gift certificate or whatever just let me know. Thanks!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've recently been hired at a company that's deemed me fit to manage inventory as part of my duties. Currently, this means keeping a few googledocs spreadsheets updated with item names, serial numbers, date in/out, and if out, where the item is going to. The "live" inventory is reconciled monthly, then the master inventory list, which contains every item to ever come through our doors, is updated with the new info. I'm wondering if there's any way to streamline the process a bit.

We have a Wasp cordless bar code scanner, which works nicely, but isn't an amazing help by itself. Would it be feasible to have a small program written that has a(possibly editable) drop down menu of the items we carry, a button for whether the item is coming into inventory or leaving inventory, a text box for the items serial number, and a text box for destination, if any? The idea being that when an item comes into inventory, we can select the model from the drop down box, scan the serial bar code, and push a button to have a googledocs spreadsheet updated with the new info and a time stamp for when it was added. When an item leaves inventory, we would just select that it's leaving, what model it is, scan the serial, input the destination, and then the program would find that item's line in the googledocs inventory sheet and update it with the new timestamp and info.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I need to download the targets of 300 links on a particular web page. I have no desire to right-click + "Save As" 300 times, but I also don't know much about scripting. Could someone please write what I'm sure would be 8 lines of code that would take me days to learn?

Edit: I should add that the links are all of the form '<a href="Filename_base_####.ext"> Filename_base_####.ext</a>', where "Filename_base" and "ext" are the same for all 300 targets, and the #### range from 0000 to 0299.

Edit edit: This is for either Windows 7, or for Linux. Either is fine, though Windows would be easier.

Edit 3: Question answered in a different thread. Was directed to the Firefox extension DownThemAll!, at http://www.downthemall.net/. Consider this request satisfied!

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 25, 2013

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Grundulum posted:

I need to download the targets of 300 links on a particular web page. I have no desire to right-click + "Save As" 300 times, but I also don't know much about scripting. Could someone please write what I'm sure would be 8 lines of code that would take me days to learn?

Already solved, but here you go for future reference.

Copy this into DownloadLoop.ps1, adjust example.com to whatever you want, and run it:

code:
$scriptpath = $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path
$cwd = Split-Path $scriptpath

for ($i=1; $i -le 300; $i++)
{
    $num = $i.ToString("0000")
    $src = [string]::Format("http://example.com/Filename_base_{0}.ext", $num);
    $dst = [string]::Format("{0}\Filename_base_{1}.jpg", $cwd, $num);
    [string]::Format("saving {0} to {1}", $src, $dst);
    ((new-object net.webclient).DownloadFile($src, $dst));
}
:)

epswing fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 25, 2013

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks for that! I can follow what you did, but would never have come up with the correct commands myself without days of research.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm looking for something that will allow me to quickly sort a bunch of photos I have. Basically the interface I would like would have the picture, and then a yes/no voting system using keys on the keyboard or clicking. Clicking one direction would cause the photo to go into one folder, and another key would put it into a different folder. An additional, but unnecessary feature would be that you could click once to change the orientation of the picture. So for example, if the picture is upside-down, I would just need to click once to flip it right side up instead of clicking rotate 90 degrees, rotate 90 degrees. Thanks so much!

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Windows or OS X?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

huhu posted:

I'm looking for something that will allow me to quickly sort a bunch of photos I have. Basically the interface I would like would have the picture, and then a yes/no voting system using keys on the keyboard or clicking. Clicking one direction would cause the photo to go into one folder, and another key would put it into a different folder. An additional, but unnecessary feature would be that you could click once to change the orientation of the picture. So for example, if the picture is upside-down, I would just need to click once to flip it right side up instead of clicking rotate 90 degrees, rotate 90 degrees. Thanks so much!

This already exists!! It is in this very thread and I think it had "sort" in the name.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been re-ripping my CDs lately, but some things I've lost, so I'll just have to keep them mp3s. I'd like to just copy everything into one folder, then run some sort of script that will check for duplicate tags and delete mp3s in the case of duplicates.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
edit..Ooops, moved to the Cavern

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 29, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hooah posted:

I've been re-ripping my CDs lately, but some things I've lost, so I'll just have to keep them mp3s. I'd like to just copy everything into one folder, then run some sort of script that will check for duplicate tags and delete mp3s in the case of duplicates.

MusicBrainz Picard might be able to help.

jabber jacket
Jul 15, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

This already exists!! It is in this very thread and I think it had "sort" in the name.

I found it here:

Hoborg posted:

mmhmmm.

Here y'go.

Get the instructions by clicking "Help"

Download link:

Binaries: http://bit.ly/fb5rz2
C# Source: http://bit.ly/hlifTh

Errata:

Seeming as I finished this in 2 hours, 53 minutes I didn't put much effort into data validation and whatnot. If you enter an invalid path into a textbox and select it as the destination then it probably will crash. I did test it under normal conditions so as long as you play nice it will serve you well.

Unfortunately it looks like the links to download it are no longer valid.

Is there anyone that still has this and, if so, would you mind uploading it for us?

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
I'd like to request an app for Windows that, when the user runs it, will take files from a certain network location and place/replace them with files on their local machine. I know it sounds stupidly easy and I think it can be accomplished with a batch script but I'm not sure where to start.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

TheEffect posted:

I'd like to request an app for Windows that, when the user runs it, will take files from a certain network location and place/replace them with files on their local machine. I know it sounds stupidly easy and I think it can be accomplished with a batch script but I'm not sure where to start.

code:
xcopy /e /y \\server\share\source\directory c:\destination\directory
Put that into a text file and change the extension to .cmd to make it executable. Change the path names, obviously. The /e option means copy a whole directory, and /y means to overwrite files without prompting.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

SamDabbers posted:

code:
xcopy /e /y \\server\share\source\directory c:\destination\directory
Put that into a text file and change the extension to .cmd to make it executable. Change the path names, obviously. The /e option means copy a whole directory, and /y means to overwrite files without prompting.

Thank you! This is great. Is there a way to select a certain file rather than a directory (is it just \\server\path\thing.exe)? If I want to create a directory with mkdir is there a way I can set permissions? If I use xcopy will it retain the source directory's permissions? And (sorry) if the directory path has a space in it do I need to use %20 in its place?

Sorry for all the questions. I have limited resources to test this with, and when I do it can potentially jack up an employee's work software, so I'm trying to get it right the first time.

TheEffect fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 19, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TheEffect posted:

(is it just \\server\path\thing.exe)?
Yes.

TheEffect posted:

If I use xcopy will it retain the source directory's permissions?
There's a /O switch that "Copies file ownership and ACL information", I don't understand permissions fully though, so I don't know if that qualifies.

TheEffect posted:

And (sorry) if the directory path has a space in it do I need to use %20 in its place?
You need to put entire paths between quotes, like this:

xcopy "c:\path with space\file.txt" "\\server2\other path with space\"

What I wanted to say is that you can just type help at the commandline to get available commands and that you can just type something line xcopy /? to get the available switches.

All this stuff is pretty well documented on the internet as well.

Typing mkdir /? shows me there are no specific options for creating permissions directly with mkdir, which means doing that will involve using some other command. (e: apparently called icacls ?)

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 19, 2014

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes.
There's a /O switch that "Copies file ownership and ACL information", I don't understand permissions fully though, so I don't know if that qualifies.
You need to put entire paths between quotes, like this:

xcopy "c:\path with space\file.txt" "\\server2\other path with space\"

What I wanted to say is that you can just type help at the commandline to get available commands and that you can just type something line xcopy /? to get the available switches.

All this stuff is pretty well documented on the internet as well.

Typing mkdir /? shows me there are no specific options for creating permissions directly with mkdir, which means doing that will involve using some other command. (e: apparently called icacls ?)

Thanks man. With your help and guidance I have a script that does exactly what I needed. Much appreciated.

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
There are some users in my Windows Network that create new Folders for certain tasks, to make things quicker they copy an existing folder tree and paste it to the new location. The folders start out empty and are filled with files oder time.

I'd like to request an app (or windows explorer extension?) that automatically changes the folder icons, depending on their state. Basically folders with content show up differently than empty folders.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Don't most operating systems already do this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

Don't most operating systems already do this?

yes, but not in Detail or list view sadly.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
I was wondering if a very simplistic (famous last words) YouTube app was possible with the following functionality:

One single window, with a drop-down at the top, listing your subscribed channels (by default only showing channels that have new videos), and the selected video below, and a preferences window where the user can input all their login info, sorting prefs, and other items. Yay/Nay? Hopefully for Mac, as that's what I'm on, but other systems would surely benefit from such an app.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Buck Futter posted:

I found it here:

Unfortunately it looks like the links to download it are no longer valid.

Is there anyone that still has this and, if so, would you mind uploading it for us?
Dang and the other guy likely to have it (mastermenthe) only posted those 2 times to request it.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 21, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

stradiwari posted:

There are some users in my Windows Network that create new Folders for certain tasks, to make things quicker they copy an existing folder tree and paste it to the new location. The folders start out empty and are filled with files oder time.

I'd like to request an app (or windows explorer extension?) that automatically changes the folder icons, depending on their state. Basically folders with content show up differently than empty folders.

Try this.

You'll just need to register the dll manually by running this as admin in whatever folder you extract it to:
code:
regsvr32 "IconOverlay.dll"
And to unregister:
code:
regsvr32 /U "IconOverlay.dll"
I have no loving clue about COM and ATL stuff but it seems to work for me. You might need to log off/on or at least restart Explorer to get this fully loaded. It always uses the "icon.ico" from its folder, so if you want to replace the little green ball, just edit that file.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Could someone make an app that scans a directory for files that are full of nothing but a single repeating byte and if any such files are found ask to reduce them to 0-byte files?

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 5, 2014

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Windows?

Edit: Hey aren't you the guy I made that IP range inverter for, last year? How's that working out for you? :v:

epswing fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 5, 2014

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Yes, please. Still goin' strong when I need to swap blacklists/whitelists. :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here you go.

Since it wipes files, definitely use at your own risk however! :)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Seems to work so far. :) Thanks!

Other versions being worked on still also welcome (and code to look at is fun too).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo sorry epalm, didn't mean to preempt your app, I had a reply open while I went off for dinner.

You're welcome Hogburto. Please don't consider that code to be exemplary or anything, I've been really itching to use goto somewhere after the whole Apple fiasco :D

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
Looking for a simple batch script that will push a folder out to all PCs in a text document, one station per line. Based on various sources on the internet I've come up with this, but I can't get it to work. Does anyone mind polishing up this turd or showing me the error of my ways?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo sorry epalm, didn't mean to preempt your app, I had a reply open while I went off for dinner.

It's all good, lots of tiny custom app glory to go around :)

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Anyone willing to make a tiny app that will play an mp3 or wav file every X or X + rand(Y) minutes without any intervention?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Anyone willing to make a tiny app that will play an mp3 or wav file every X or X + rand(Y) minutes without any intervention?

What OS, and is it going to play the same file each time or does it need to go through a list?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Windows 8 x64. The same file each time is fine.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

Don't have a Win8 system to check with but it should be fine unless they destroyed the task tray. Out of curiosity, what's this for?

Happiness Periodic Mp3 Player
- Settings are in config.ini
- Will play .wav or .mp3 (mp3 requires codecs?)
- Right click task tray icon and choose "Quit" to exit
- Set Y to 0 if you want no randomness
- 32 bit

My request is an IRC client or addon that will read channel chatter in Text to Speech, preferably Microsoft Anna.
I've never been agreeable to mICR so I'd like something standalone; however now that I've added "addon" to my google searches, I'm finally finding stuff that might work...

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 27, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I need to format some USB sticks FAT32 under Win7. Seems like I can't use anything standard in the OS so I have to go 3rd party.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Forget the reason for that but I always have to use this when a windows user wants something formatted in FAT32: FAT32 Formatter v1.1

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I need to format some USB sticks FAT32 under Win7. Seems like I can't use anything standard in the OS so I have to go 3rd party.

Not true. You can use the built-in diskpart command line utility. Open a command prompt as administrator:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Fat32format works great and comes in a Windows GUI flavor. I've used it a bunch.

• Locked thread