Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BananaNutkins posted:

All this argument and these are the readership numbers:

Asimov's Science Fiction circulation went up for the third year in a row. Circulation went up 10.8 percent from 2011, to 25,025.

Analog Science Fiction and Fact circulation went up 4.9 percent, to 27,803.

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction circulation went down 20.4 percent, to 11,510.

Maybe if schlock authors started writing better short stories and books that people actually like instead of pushing agendas, we'd see some actual numbers. Until then everyone's pissing in the same kiddypool every time an argument erupts.

It got mentioned upthread, but it's worth reiterating. This is for the magazines. When's the last time you saw one of those magazines in a B&N? When's the last time you read one of those magazines? They've been hard to find for years and years and years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

rchandra posted:

If you've read Red/Green/Blue Mars, how would you compare 2312 to those? I liked the Mars books a lot but not The Martians or Antarctica.

I'll have to defer you to my fellow posters on this one, as 2312 is the first of KSR I've read. I've enjoyed 2312 for the most part though, even if it is slow.

Venusian Weasel posted:

Yeah, I've always gotten the impression that KSR is one of those people who really needs a collaborator with his writing. He can really do worldbuilding in a way others can't, but he desperately needs someone who's good with writing characters to really make his worlds seem realistic.

As mentioned, this is the first novel of his I've read so I have no idea if this is a common trait in his book. I will say that while Swan is a bit flat as a protagonist, Wahram is fantastic and I've basically loved every scene he's been in. Genette is pretty cool as well.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Coldforge posted:

Translation: If you try to ban it, say through a blacklist, it just goes underground and becomes harder to keep track of, and probably gets even worse through the magic of "positive" reinforcement loops.

What makes you think it's not there already? I found this at a used book store that was closing down a few years ago:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Savaged-States-America-Futuristic/dp/B000OT1T3O/
only in a much more polished looking edition.

(I wasn't paying attention and actually bought it, once I realized what I had it went in the trash, which was the first book I threw out for reasons not involving "mold" or "pages fallen out all over" as an adult)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

anathenema posted:

Anyway, can anyone recommend me something fun in fantasy that isn't totally stupid? It doesn't have to be brilliant, but something along the lines of the energy of the Gentlemen Bastards stories would be good.

You know what doesn't get recommended often enough? This book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_for_the_Morning_Glory

savinhill posted:

Try Robert VS Reddick's Chathrand Voyage series. It's fun, has a ton of awesome adventure, and it also has a large scope with world building and history that has a lot of impact on the greater story and plot.

These too! (I thought things sort of fell apart in book 4 but the first couple are just great)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Zola posted:

I do still trot out the True Game series once in a blue moon, though.

The full nine set or just the Peter books?

Northshore/Southshore are good too, but I read the reviews of her latest and I'm not touching that.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

fritz posted:

It got mentioned upthread, but it's worth reiterating. This is for the magazines. When's the last time you saw one of those magazines in a B&N? When's the last time you read one of those magazines? They've been hard to find for years and years and years.

Local B&N usually has Asimov's, Fantasy & Science Fiction, occasionally has Analog. They do have a tendency not to show up some months, though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Those magazines are hardly the central pillars of the genre they used to be. Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, Apex, Beneath Ceaseless Skies - important markets, all online, all free to read.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Venusian Weasel posted:

Local B&N usually has Asimov's, Fantasy & Science Fiction, occasionally has Analog. They do have a tendency not to show up some months, though.

True, however as someone who dealt with paying for placement in B&N, Borders, Amazon, et al, as my job, any appearance in those magazines means gently caress all when you're trying to sell actual books into major distributors. They may be good venues for establishing your name in the industry, but they don't help much in trying to get your novel sold in at significant numbers..Not to say that the buyers for SF/Fantasy aren't huge nerds who love this stuff (which they are), but they usually need something more to base a significant buy on.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

You know what doesn't get recommended often enough? This book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_for_the_Morning_Glory

Hell yes. That book is so good. I know I have reccomended it here before at least once.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zola posted:

I used to really enjoy Sheri Tepper because she's one of the few authors that has been able to surprise me with a plot twist. Unfortunately, she seems to have become increasingly shrill and (dare I say it?) anti-man with each subsequent book. By the time I got to The Fresco, I gave up. At the end, when Benita becomes sort of superwoman due to her friendly alien backup and there's the little diatribe about not needing men (what the gently caress is the difference between a woman relying on a man and relying on some super-powerful alien? She still isn't doing gently caress-all on her own behalf without needing help), I gave up.

I do still trot out the True Game series once in a blue moon, though.

The most baffling one is Grass, wherein the female lead must defeat the patriarchy, her marriage, the catholic church, space mormons, the urge to participate in charity, the aristocracy, psychic horses, and animal cruelty. Then there's an alien sex scene (because it's sci-fi) and she goes to another dimension with her new alien fox friend.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

fritz posted:

What makes you think it's not there already? I found this at a used book store that was closing down a few years ago:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Savaged-States-America-Futuristic/dp/B000OT1T3O/
only in a much more polished looking edition.

(I wasn't paying attention and actually bought it, once I realized what I had it went in the trash, which was the first book I threw out for reasons not involving "mold" or "pages fallen out all over" as an adult)

Don't know, don't care. Someone asked for the meaning of a post, and I provided; end of my involvement. I'm just here for book recommendations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

crowfeathers posted:

The most baffling one is Grass, wherein the female lead must defeat the patriarchy, her marriage, the catholic church, space mormons, the urge to participate in charity, the aristocracy, psychic horses, and animal cruelty. Then there's an alien sex scene (because it's sci-fi) and she goes to another dimension with her new alien fox friend.

Sometimes I read posts like this and I have a really hard time believing that you aren't making this poo poo up. What was that other series? Honor Harrington or something? People are loving weird.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

fritz posted:

The full nine set or just the Peter books?

Northshore/Southshore are good too, but I read the reviews of her latest and I'm not touching that.

The Peter books, I'm still trying to get my hands on the other six.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fookolt posted:

Sometimes I read posts like this and I have a really hard time believing that you aren't making this poo poo up. What was that other series? Honor Harrington or something? People are loving weird.

The Waters Rising is pretty bizarre by all accounts as well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Darth Walrus posted:

That article has my least favourite thing and my most favourite thing this week: an extended debate on horse rape, and

quote:

Gene Wolfe is the Blessed Walrus of Obliqueness

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
About right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Darth Walrus posted:

Good God, I am so glad I stopped at The Fresco.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

fookolt posted:

She also wrote The Companions, where the protagonist discovers that god lives in a parallel dimension and talks directly only to the trees on a specific alien planet through the "language of scents", which means they have to team up with a woman who was genetically engineered by a perfume company because only she can understand it, and then there's a sentient tree that figures out how to walk, and humanity was designed by space dogs (the space dogs are also slavers and kidnap people into an alternate dimension), and everyone hates humanity for being the only race in the universe to "take pride in their work"

The way the protagonists win is they ask God (through tree perfume) to solve all the problems, which God does, and also God destroys all of humanity except for people who are members of PETA (this is accomplished with the use of sex dolls that make you autistic)

It's ok though because the hero saved the animals

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

I care a little, because people with strong political views will tend to put money into those interests (I.e. OSC and his anti-homosexuality). If they're dead or the books are public domain though that's not an issue.

Yeah, I have given a lot of money to Mieville so I guess I've done my part to feed the revolution.
Bad part: I'll probably end up before a communist execution squad if that unlikely event happens.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Darth Walrus posted:

This is amazing. It's like the anti-thesis for Oh John Ringo No. Part of me would love to see a thread of these horror screeds but I'm quietly afraid of what it could turn into.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is amazing. It's like the anti-thesis for Oh John Ringo No. Part of me would love to see a thread of these horror screeds but I'm quietly afraid of what it could turn into.

The thing that's really awful is that she has such interesting ideas! In The Fresco, for example, there is a set of painted panels with incredible religious significance to the aliens who live there. There are scholarly treatises based on the panels which interpret each element and its meaning, and there's a whole philosophy based on the interpretation of the, etc etc etc. So what happens when the panels are cleaned?

It sounds like it would be a loving fantastic novel, doesn't it? And instead we get man-hating diatribes. Ugh. She has been pissing me off so bad for the last decade or so, which is why I gave up buying her books completely.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Starfish by Peter Watts and I still don't fully understand what will happen if behemoth makes it to the surface. Here is what it says in the book:

"Let me tell you what happens if this thing gets out," she said quietly. "First off, nothing. We outnumber it, you see. At first we swamp it through sheer numbers, the models predict all sorts of skirmishes and false starts. But eventually it gets a foothold. Then it outcompetes conventional decomposers and monopolizes our inorganic nutrient base. That cuts the whole trophic pyramid off at the ankles. You, and me, and the viruses and the giant sequoias all just fade away for want of nitrates or some stupid thing. And welcome to the Age of ßehemoth."

Can someone dumb it down for me?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yes. Land-based life on Earth depends on a trophic pyramid - a system by which sunlight is turned into biomass, which in turn gets eaten by organisms higher up the pyramid adding to their biomass, which in turn is eaten by organisms still higher up. We are very near the top of this pyramid.

The very first layer of this pyramid involves plants, which are dependent on microorganisms for a number of basic functions - fixing nitrogen, decomposing dead crap into rich soil, so on. Because it has a very low-level biochemical advantage in terms of reproductive efficiency, Behemoth will outcompete these microorganisms, eating all their poo poo and driving them extinct. Then everything higher up the pyramid will starve.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. It's much clearer now and makes sense of the 'agricultural concerns' line from earlier.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Pretty good Nebula ballot this year! :toot: Ancillary Justice and Hild, to nobody's surprise, but I'm happy to see Six Gun Snow White up there too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Angry Robot is doing a reddit AMA in r/fantasy if you wanna ask em some questions or read about the publishing biz. Answers are starting at 4pm cst.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Pretty good Nebula ballot this year! :toot: Ancillary Justice and Hild, to nobody's surprise, but I'm happy to see Six Gun Snow White up there too.

Just checked it out and bought most of the novels in the list. Female authors seem to be well represented, is this typical with the Nebula?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
On the many, many, recommendations of this thread I finally read Blindsight.

It dragged me in so completely I finished it in one sitting. But drat does it make me feel stupid. I feel like I barely grazed the meaning of what was actually going on. Would anyone have a link to a good "For Dummies" explanation or discussion?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Huge-rear end Blindsight spoilers, but if I had to boil the book down into one sentence paragraph:

Humanity has always assumed cognition and consciousness are intrinsically tied. Consciousness is actually a computational bottleneck, an exaptative accident - an evolutionary tumor that hurts the brain's performance and creates disruptive, maladaptive social behavior. Most life in the universe has no self-awareness, and that life is going to out-compete us. We may be the only living things who will ever know we lived.

Fallom posted:

Just checked it out and bought most of the novels in the list. Female authors seem to be well represented, is this typical with the Nebula?

I don't know but it's really encouraging.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Huge-rear end Blindsight spoilers, but if I had to boil the book down into one sentence paragraph:

As good a time to ask as any. I reread it recently and one specific thing confused me when they're testing the two scramblers: they try to ask "what do you see" and the scrambler only says Rorschach, which is wrong because it can also see the other scrambler. They realize it took the question as "what are you aware of." But they had just gotten done working through the realization that the scramblers have no self-awareness. Was it that they asked "what has awareness," and if so, why would Rorschach be the correct answer?

Did I misread that? Does anyone else remember this part? I'll try to find a page and exact quote, but it confused me.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Tepper isn't crazy, she's a nice old lady.

quote:

When Sheri becomes Head Queen, what three things will get changed first?

Persons who are not human must be perpetually separated from society. People who purposefully hurt others may not—ever—be released to move about in society. This includes crazy people, alcoholics, and addicts who cannot be permanently cured. None of this, "Oh, he's fine when he's on his meds, but he forgets to take his medicine." People who traffic in arms and drugs, wife beaters, serial rapists, pedophiles, and their ilk are included. Walled cities will be built in the wastelands and all nonhuman persons will be sterilized and sent to live there, together, raising their own food. There will be no traffic in, no traffic out, except for studies that may be done which might lead to a "cure." There will be no chat about this sequestration being "inhumane," because the persons so confined are not human by definition. The cities for nonhumans will not get overcrowded because the inhabitants will probably kill each other off fairly regularly.

Sure, let's sterilize all the criminals and mentally ill and stick them in concentration camps.

Suddenly I'm really happy with my decision to stop reading Grass after 50 or so pages.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

General Battuta posted:

Thanks! So the stuff about the vampires shows that the same thing was in progress on Earth, except for the accidental advantage the right-angle flaw gave Homo Sapiens? The stuff at the end was the reconstituted vampires wiping us out? Why would they wipe us out when they need us around to eat? They had that whole hibernation mechanism to prevent overfeeding in the first place.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

CaptainCrunch posted:

Thanks! So the stuff about the vampires shows that the same thing was in progress on Earth, except for the accidental advantage the right-angle flaw gave Homo Sapiens? The stuff at the end was the reconstituted vampires wiping us out? Why would they wipe us out when they need us around to eat? They had that whole hibernation mechanism to prevent overfeeding in the first place.

When we brought them back we adjusted the traits a bit. We had fixed the need to eat us, but left in the angle glitch as a way of controlling them by controlling their medicine supply

They didn't need us any more, and "fixed" the quirk of history

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CaptainCrunch posted:

I reread it recently. This is actually mentioned - they don't need humans anymore. Genetic engineering took care of the nutritional maladaptation that forced them into cannibalism. It's discussed right around when they're talking about the Euclidean disorder - Szpindel mentions that supposedly, removing that ruins vampire savantism, but then says that they didn't have any problems fixing the metabolic pathway, insinuating that humans left the Euclidean disorder in to prevent vampires from taking over, but took out the part that forces them to consume humans to live.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Ah! I missed that tidbit. Ok, I don't feel quite so flummoxed anymore. Than you, guys.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

HUMAN FISH posted:

Tepper isn't crazy, she's a nice old lady.

quote:

There will be no chat about this sequestration being "inhumane," because the persons so confined are not human by definition.

Does she think the Humane Society is for humans?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

At first I thought Sheri was a fictional character and it was a question of what's going to happen in the next book of the series when Sheri becomes Head Queen of the Tribes of Lost Ezalend or some bullshit.

Then I looked into it.

Now I just feel… disappointed. And I don't even know who this author is in the slightest.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

At first I thought Sheri was a fictional character and it was a question of what's going to happen in the next book of the series when Sheri becomes Head Queen of the Tribes of Lost Ezalend or some bullshit.

Then I looked into it.

Now I just feel… disappointed. And I don't even know who this author is in the slightest.

She's utterly insane.

The most recent Tepper book I read was Raising the Stones, in which several things are shown to be irredeemable. Specifically, these are Space Islam, societies that are not matriarchal, and Catholics. The plot involves an attempt by Space Muslims (who also are the only people in the known universe to own slaves) to take over a doomsday weapon in order to destroy all societies in which women have freedom. The protagonist is the son of a Space Imam and wants to rediscover his father's culture, but eventually realizes that all traditions are evil, and Islam even more so, and that he should have listened to his mother and not left home. Then a group of children accesses an ancient fungus that is powered by imagination and the fungus replaces their religion with "a religion that actually works" and they pray for it to kill all the evil people, which it does, and the heroes are triumphant and slavery is abolished. The book ends with the promise that, through transplanting this fungus to other planets, all human problems can be abolished because it will replace all other religions.

Also the woman from Grass is mentioned, she has become a Christ-like figure and is the basis of all religions besides the Islam surrogate.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

crowfeathers posted:

She's utterly insane.

The most recent Tepper book I read was Raising the Stones, in which several things are shown to be irredeemable. Specifically, these are Space Islam, societies that are not matriarchal, and Catholics. The plot involves an attempt by Space Muslims (who also are the only people in the known universe to own slaves) to take over a doomsday weapon in order to destroy all societies in which women have freedom. The protagonist is the son of a Space Imam and wants to rediscover his father's culture, but eventually realizes that all traditions are evil, and Islam even more so, and that he should have listened to his mother and not left home. Then a group of children accesses an ancient fungus that is powered by imagination and the fungus replaces their religion with "a religion that actually works" and they pray for it to kill all the evil people, which it does, and the heroes are triumphant and slavery is abolished. The book ends with the promise that, through transplanting this fungus to other planets, all human problems can be abolished because it will replace all other religions.

Also the woman from Grass is mentioned, she has become a Christ-like figure and is the basis of all religions besides the Islam surrogate.
Man, it'd be a real bummer if they put the fungus on some planet where people didn't think well of all those other humans. Not like she already used it to kill off all the competition once..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

crowfeathers posted:

She's utterly insane. :words:
You know, I always thought people like that were just a caricature that rightwingers came up with to justify themselves. It's kind of disappointing to see that they actually exist and make money.