Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Basically, the records go "the kids started a riot, and Zero escaped", while Jack goes "actually, I started the escape, and everyone - guards and kids - attacked me so I killed them all". Then she keeps talking about how nothing is as she remembers it. Is there a payoff to all of that, beyond "Jack is very messed up"?

Are you playing as a guy and plan to bang her? If not, then no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Also as silly as Jack's character may be in ME2, she's really redeemed in ME3 I think. The section with her was one of the better sections in the game imo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kibayasu posted:

Are you playing as a guy and plan to bang her? If not, then no.
I suppose it will have to stay an unsolved mystery then.

In other news:

Touching scene with Tali after the Migrant fleet trial. "Let's go back to the ship, Tali Vas Normandy... I'LL TAKE IT!"

In other interesting juxtaposition news, if an enemy is shouting when you hit them with a Vanguard charge and a few MMA elbows, they literally go "garbleplixtblarg" or whatever.

One line from Jacob that I found all kinds of good (if a bit incongruous, considering I just came back from fixing Jack with the same) was "either it's a real problem, and you won't fix it with Psych 101, or it's not and you're just dragging things out". Apparently no one else likes it (probably because it's a Jacob line) but I thought it was kinda brilliant.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I've been lurking in this thread for awhile(so I've been spoiled for most of the plot), but I never played any of the Mass Effects when they were out, but on Christmas I got the PS3 Trilogy set, and since then have been playing thru all three games for the first time.

I just now played the Citadel DLC on Mass Effect 3 and did the final party with everyone before the big ending...I can't believe how bittersweet that party is talking with everyone and knowing this is the end. The next morning when Kasumi, says," if I never see you again, it's been fun." I got a little choked up. When Mordin's recording gets to you and he sings all his little ditties and stuff, drat, that really hits you hard. Somehow I just want to get all the crew into the Normandy and fly off somewhere into the galaxy, and forget all this Cerebus/Reaper stuff and go around having adventures and blowing stuff up.

It's been a long while since I've played any game that affected me like that. I think playing them all at once like that is what me feel like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SubponticatePoster posted:

As a general rule, Cerberus employs incompetent assholes?

Yep.... let's give them the Collector Base! :shepface:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jerusalem posted:

Yep.... let's give them the Collector Base! :shepface:
Oh yeah - I don't want to search online for fear of spoilers, but which choice will let me kill more Cerberus people in ME3?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 23, 2014

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

Xander77 posted:

One line from Jacob that I found all kinds of good (if a bit incongruous, considering I just came back from fixing Jack with the same) was "either it's a real problem, and you won't fix it with Psych 101, or it's not and you're just dragging things out". Apparently no one else likes it (probably because it's a Jacob line) but I thought it was kinda brilliant.

I thought it was a cool thing too, but it doesn't really work when you have no other options in trying to get to know your RPG team mates. They did sort of the same with Sten in Dragon age, but at least there you could figure out he's a stoic bastard and can give him clipped orders that'll make him respect you.

Jacob just comes off as this passive aggressive dick who you can't talk to; "ALREADY?! I'm not big on forcing these talks, Shepard"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah - I don't want to search online for fear of spoilers, but which choice will LETI get to kill more Cerberus people in ME3?
There is no difference, as far as I can tell.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah - I don't want to search online for fear of spoilers, but which choice will let me kill more Cerberus people in ME3?

ME3 plot spoilers Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just know this: None of your choices affect gameplay at all.* The only changes are to bits of dialogue and cutscenes.

*The lone exception being that certain characters can't be ME3 squadmates if they're dead.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2014

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There is one bit where your choices change gameplay iirc: depending on how you resolve the Legion mission in ME2, you'll be fighting a greater or smaller number of geth in the Rannoch missions

There are probably more but I'm not sure where.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is that actually true? I just checked the wiki for A House Divided, and it only says it affects war assets and the ability to make peace. So just cutscene stuff.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Recommend me a good save editor for my teammates stats? I got Warp Ammo as my advanced power, and would like to reassign all the points I invested into various teammate ammo powers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Recommend me a good save editor for my teammates stats? I got Warp Ammo as my advanced power, and would like to reassign all the points I invested into various teammate ammo powers.
Did you buy "Lair of the Shadow Broker"? Because the ability to do that is one of the rewards for completing it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 24, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lycus posted:

Just know this: None of your choices affect gameplay at all.* The only changes are to bits of dialogue and cutscenes.

*The lone exception being that certain characters can't be ME3 squadmates if they're dead.

Interesting wording. Your choices matter a great deal for the story and the characters you interact with, but I guess that is not strictly part of the gameplay in your interpretation. But I think that's simply not true, the dialogue and characters can be massively different, depending on what you did in the first games, and playing these out is definitely part of the gameplay.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Lycus posted:

Did you buy "Lair of the Shadow Broker"? Because the ability to do that is one of the rewards for completing it.
Thanks.

Is it just me, or are teammates rather useless in 2*? In 1, my teammates basically killed Saren for me, by using the highly innovative tactic of turning around and shooting him in the face, instead of huddling behind cover and ignoring him as he barged past them to rip my head off. Teammates will also never charge ahead or become useful distractions (except when their AI glitches and they keep trying to take cover behind the wrong side of the cover thing) unless you tell them to charge ahead - at which point you're pretty much forced to keep sending them ahead manually unless you want them to stay back at the start of the level.

* Some teammates powers are useful, but only when you trigger them manually. And yes, I have the AI set on "do as much as you can without my input, please".

Edit - Also, of all the things you could put time and effort into, "don't point your gun at me" cries in a game without friendly fire should probably be the last.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 24, 2014

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Xander77 posted:

Thanks.

Is it just me, or are teammates rather useless in 2? In 1, my teammates basically killed Saren for me, by using the highly innovative tactic of turning around and shooting him in the face, instead of huddling behind cover and ignoring him as he barged past them to rip my head off. Teammates will also never charge ahead or become useful distractions (except when their AI glitches and they keep trying to take cover behind the wrong side of the cover thing) unless you tell them to charge ahead - at which point you're pretty much forced to keep sending them ahead manually unless you want them to stay back at the start of the level.

You'll have to work with the move orders a lot to move them to useful positions but then they will actually kill stuff and draw fire occasionally.

In ME3 the move orders don't work half of the time, and when they do, the teammates will just stand near the waypoint without going into cover so they get shot down immediately and they don't ever kill any enemies period. And once you turn around they will have disappeared because they will teleport all over the map as soon as you don't look at them for a moment.

So enjoy ME2's teammates while they last :shepface:

E: Also keep in mind that you can directly order teammates to shoot at specific enemies by aiming at the enemy and pressing the teammate move order key. That gets them to shoot even more often but in ME2 at least, as long as you position them properly manually they should be doing that automatically most of the time.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 24, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

In both ME2 and ME3, I don't even bother using the squadmate commands, and I barely notice what they're shooting at. For me, I guess squadmates are only good for their powers.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Xander77 posted:

Edit - Also, of all the things you could put time and effort into, "don't point your gun at me" cries in a game without friendly fire should probably be the last.

They added that for all the multiplayer characters, too! Bioware is great at prioritization.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Torrannor posted:

Interesting wording. Your choices matter a great deal for the story and the characters you interact with, but I guess that is not strictly part of the gameplay in your interpretation. But I think that's simply not true, the dialogue and characters can be massively different, depending on what you did in the first games, and playing these out is definitely part of the gameplay.

Bioware account spotted.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
The AI is hilariously bad in ME3. It took me a few battles to realize, I was essentially doing everything while my crew watched from the back. And it takes too much work to micromanage their movements and fire, so now they I just use them for their special powers which do work immediately.

Although, I say that, but Wrex in Citadel DLC was a loving badass, and as a Vanguard spamming Biotic Charge/Nova, he is the one character who is always charging ahead with me. It was great to fight with him side by side, as he smashes his giant shotgun into some Cerberus fodder. Maybe just because he was set to melee all the time, and that was simple enough for the AI to figure out. And everything he says is golden. I wish I could take him with me everywhere. I like the combat sims and always use Wrex in them, but because no one says anything in them, they are not nearly as fun.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
For something completely different, they used some Mass Effect 3 music in Top Gear last night! Only a little, though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cryohazard posted:

For something completely different, they used some Mass Effect 3 music in Top Gear last night! Only a little, though.
They have some weird but awesome music choices in that show. I've heard stuff from Lost, a lot of Pirates of the Caribbean and I swear they used something from CoD on one of the military segments.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Cryohazard posted:

An End For The Stig, Once And For All

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I took infiltrator in ME2 and ME3 because I love the one shot, one kill dynamic you get. It works splendidly in 3 too, I'm just wondering if there's ever a reason to use a different sniper rifle? The one you get at the beginning pretty much one-shots almost everything, and I was playing hardcore. Combine that with some shield draining power, only carry one very light SMG for barriers and shields and the headless bodies hit the ground before they squeezed out their first shot. Any other sniper rifle you get is either less accurate/heavier/has an awkward zoomed in overlay or does less damage. Am I missing anything?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Police Automaton posted:

I took infiltrator in ME2 and ME3 because I love the one shot, one kill dynamic you get. It works splendidly in 3 too, I'm just wondering if there's ever a reason to use a different sniper rifle? The one you get at the beginning pretty much one-shots almost everything, and I was playing hardcore. Combine that with some shield draining power, only carry one very light SMG for barriers and shields and the headless bodies hit the ground before they squeezed out their first shot. Any other sniper rifle you get is either less accurate/heavier/has an awkward zoomed in overlay or does less damage. Am I missing anything?

I forget which one it is you get in ME3 SP first, I assume it's the Mantis?
If so, the one rifle that sticks out would be the Black Widow that should one-shot at least as well as the Mantis but work slightly better against armored opponents like Brutes and Banshees and you can get all three shots in a clip off within a single use of Cloak (and hence get the bonus damage for all thee shots) so you'll effectively have a better "gently caress-off damage shots per cloak" ratio.
At least that's how it works in multiplayer but for all I know on Hardcore, even Brutes and Banshees might die to a single Cloak headshot from the Mantis, especially if it's not even Insanity which is roughly equivalent to Bronze in MP, soo ...

EDIT: But to be honest I have no idea, the guns behave pretty radically different in SP and MP at this point and I don't remember poo poo about the SP guns.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 24, 2014

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Is there a way to turn down the slow-mo bullshit in singleplayer? Trying to get back into the SP after playing so much multiplayer is really jarring.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Police Automaton posted:

Widow or Black Widow maybe, but I've never used sniper rifles. Infiltrator sounds cool though. I may start a second play thru and use that class and go Renegade instead of Paragon. I love bouncing around the battle field though and just force punching folks around as a Vanguard though. I've played a couple maps where Shepard is waiting at the drop zone under a Cerebrus shuttle with a Nova waiting to kill em off. I always imagine the Cerebrus grunts looking down at Shepard, and just saying, drat it, I have to drop down in that grinder.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

AgentHaiTo posted:

Widow or Black Widow maybe, but I've never used sniper rifles. Infiltrator sounds cool though. I may start a second play thru and use that class and go Renegade instead of Paragon. I love bouncing around the battle field though and just force punching folks around as a Vanguard though. I've played a couple maps where Shepard is waiting at the drop zone under a Cerebrus shuttle with a Nova waiting to kill em off. I always imagine the Cerebrus grunts looking down at Shepard, and just saying, drat it, I have to drop down in that grinder.

Yeah, I had a blast as an Infiltrator; you get a few free seconds of bullet time every time you pull up the scope, so fights tended to be a lot of "pop out of cover HEADSHOT throw a fireball at somebody behind cover so they pop out HEADSHOT". Really satisfying. Also when you needed to move between cover, you just pop on your cloak, pop into some more cover and then get a cloaking bonus to headshot damage as well. You just feel like an unstoppable marksman; it's the polar opposite of Vanguard in terms of playstyle, but in my opinion right up there for feeling like a badass.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bogart posted:

An End For The Stig, Once And For All

Same Stig, Different Day

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

AgentHaiTo posted:

You should learn the joys of a shotgun infiltrator.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I ever commit to actually finishing a single game of ME3's SP, I will have to go back and use one of my 12+ ME2 saves to try out something that isn't a vanguard.

I always sit down to play ME3, and load up the multiplayer with the intention of playing one match and then playing a mission or two of the single player. But I never seem to get around to playing Shepard...

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Behold pure :effort: the likes of which should be shamed endlessly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrpV9rCxtZU

And behold :effort:'s "official" soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFNnxQPaXWc

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

If you fail Joker's mission and reload, everyone are just hanging out in their default "standing there" poses. Chambers is particularly nonchalant. By the way, starting the mission automatically the moment you touch the map screen and sending me right back to the start without any checkpoints any time I die is just brilliant.

Currently I'm taking a course that deals with Sam Shepard, and being forced to suppress a giggle every once in a while is probably the most entertaining thing about it.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

AgentHaiTo posted:

Although, I say that, but Wrex in Citadel DLC was a loving badass, and as a Vanguard spamming Biotic Charge/Nova, he is the one character who is always charging ahead with me.

I love Wrex in Citadel but someone seriously screwed up his power options. He doesn't feel like the Vanguard NPC at all. Stimpacks?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Draile posted:

I love Wrex in Citadel but someone seriously screwed up his power options. He doesn't feel like the Vanguard NPC at all. Stimpacks?

He isn't a vanguard though. In ME1 he had biotic barrier, warp, throw, and stasis along with fitness and weapon skills. That would have put him in line with what ME1 vanguards were but certainly not what they became. In Citadel his skill mix is closer to a sentinel.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Well in ME1 each NPC was similar to a class, so that Garrus was the infiltrator, Liara the adept, Wrex the vanguard, etc. I'm saying I wish they'd kept Wrex similar to a vanguard instead of what they made him. I'd have loved to see Wrex's power options as charge, barrier, carnage, incendiary ammo. Yeah it would have been overpowered but who cares, it's Wrex in a self-contained single player dlc.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Giving Biotic Charge to anyone other than a player character is just asking for trouble considering you can get stuck in the Normandy's cockpit.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

It was cool enough that they gave us a boss fight with charge but look how much it had to be scripted to keep things from going bad. Maybe in ME4 they can come up with a fix and throw more charging npcs in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Charge never worked with NPCs from what I remember, you could give it to them and they'd try to use it but it just had no effect (Vasir's charge was scripted and completely different from the player controlled power). I do think that Wrex should have had an offensive biotic power like warp or throw instead of stim packs though. Not only do the stims not fit Wrex at all but his AI was bugged and he'd just spam through his whole supply at once, leaving him with no grenades for either of his grenade powers.

• Locked thread