Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don S Davis was the stunt double for Dana Elcar who played Pete Thornton. That's where they first met. MacGyver is still pretty good but 80's as gently caress. It's pretty cheesy now and can be hard to watch without a huge dose of nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
A few days ago I had a day where Don S. Davis popped up in every non-live sports thing I watched, starting with Miracle and ending with Best in Show. He was everywhere, and he was awesome.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Major Isoor posted:

God dammit, I'm gonna have to start watching MacGyver after I finish Stargate, won't I?

(heh, might make sense, I guess? He's had enough of all the fighting, etc. from his earlier days, and has decided to become a pacifist?)

Even better is thinking of Twin Peaks as a prequel to Stargate, after Major Briggs got a name change and a few promotions. :v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm 3 eps deep in Season 4 on my 2nd run.

Did anyone else notice the bottomless magazine in the shotguns they used against the replicators? It was loving ridiculous. I wonder why that didn't annoy me as much the first time around.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

GreenNight posted:

Don S Davis was the stunt double for Dana Elcar who played Pete Thornton. That's where they first met. MacGyver is still pretty good but 80's as gently caress. It's pretty cheesy now and can be hard to watch without a huge dose of nostalgia.

It's 80s as gently caress with all that entails but every now and then RDA drops a self aware line that could be straight out of Jack O'Neils mouth.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh my God, I had completely forgotten about Teal'c's son and his terrible, terrible storyline.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Oh my God, I had completely forgotten about Teal'c's son and his terrible, terrible storyline.

Wait until you remember Daniel's kid arc.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jacks kid had the best story arc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ratjaculation posted:

The trajectory was kind of flat on that one, but I agree.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Holy poo poo. Even Carter had a lovely kid arc. Didn't she adopt the bomb kid after the doctor died or am I misremembering?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Ratjaculation posted:

For a minute I thought you meant the Jack's child clone arc. You still wouldn't be wrong.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jack also had the episode where they found the race with the super smart nanite children.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Flame112 posted:

Holy poo poo. Even Carter had a lovely kid arc. Didn't she adopt the bomb kid after the doctor died or am I misremembering?

She wasn't bad at all, she only showed up like once or twice after the first episode until Carter adopted her after Dr. Frasier died and I don't think was ever mentioned again.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
"The name's Olo... Hans Olo"

Just saw Prometheus Unbound, and it was pretty good! :D I take it whats-her-face (didn't catch her name; just the fact that she fancies Daniel like just about everyone else) is the re-occuring anti-hero-esque character that's supposed to play a larger role later this/next season, as I think someone here mentioned? If so, I can certainly sense that she won't quite receive the warm greetings Jonas gets, after the damages she caused!

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Major Isoor posted:

"The name's Olo... Hans Olo"

Just saw Prometheus Unbound, and it was pretty good! :D I take it whats-her-face (didn't catch her name; just the fact that she fancies Daniel like just about everyone else) is the re-occuring anti-hero-esque character that's supposed to play a larger role later this/next season, as I think someone here mentioned? If so, I can certainly sense that she won't quite receive the warm greetings Jonas gets, after the damages she caused!

That's Vala, recurring in season 9 and is a regular in season 10. People say that her and Ben Browder showing up ruined the show, but I say they're insane; I had loads of fun.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 11, 2017

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
After seeing a bunch of people mention it in here, I decided to give Farscape a try. I've only seen the first episode, but I don't think I can watch this. The floating little king, the warrior with the flesh goatee, it all just looks terrible. It's like one step removed from Thunderbirds.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You don't watch Farscape for its outstanding special effects.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Correct. You watch Farscape for the characters, the chemistry (seriously, Rigel's a loving puppet and is more real than thousands of scifi characters) and the slow downward progression of John Crighton's sanity.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

I take it whats-her-face (didn't catch her name; just the fact that she fancies Daniel like just about everyone else) is the re-occuring anti-hero-esque character that's supposed to play a larger role later this/next season, as I think someone here mentioned? If so, I can certainly sense that she won't quite receive the warm greetings Jonas gets, after the damages she caused!

She's the worst thing that ever happened to Stargate, and personally I think she's also the reason it got cancelled. I can't even watch the episodes that she's in anymore, she is so grating.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

richardfun posted:

After seeing a bunch of people mention it in here, I decided to give Farscape a try. I've only seen the first episode, but I don't think I can watch this. The floating little king, the warrior with the flesh goatee, it all just looks terrible. It's like one step removed from Thunderbirds.

Man, I want to go watch some original Thunderbirds.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

richardfun posted:

I was kind of put off by it the first time that I tried to watch it, too, but at some point I gave it another chance (I think because of this thread, actually), and it eventually really grew on me.

It might just not be for you, but I would really recommend pushing through just to see things develop a bit more before you make up your mind!

I've never seen another show put its main character through so much crazy poo poo. It's like they took the O'Brien Must Suffer idea from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and made entire story arcs in the same spirit for Crichton.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's the same way with Babylon 5. The effects are loving horrible and the first season is rough but drat it turns into an amazing show.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Taffer posted:

She's the worst thing that ever happened to Stargate, and personally I think she's also the reason it got cancelled. I can't even watch the episodes that she's in anymore, she is so grating.

Worse than human form replicators and the Ori? Surely, you jest.

She changes the dynamic of the show for sure, but I wouldn't say it's worse, just different. Very different.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Correct. You watch Farscape for the characters, the chemistry (seriously, Rigel's a loving puppet and is more real than thousands of scifi characters) and the slow downward progression of John Crighton's sanity.

Downward spiral? I would say its a plunge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Downward spiral? I would say its a plunge.

I'd say it's pretty steady until about 1/4 the way through season 2. Then he's in free fall.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'd say it's pretty steady until about 1/4 the way through season 2. Then he's in free fall.

I would say things started to go downhill at the end of season one with getting tortured/ getting the wormhole tech and then it's crazy town.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

richardfun posted:

Keep trying, because it becomes the best thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

bobkatt013 posted:

I would say things started to go downhill at the end of season one with getting tortured/ getting the wormhole tech and then it's crazy town.

The turning point is honestly during the princess and stone three-parter (I think?) when Braka has Crichton in a scout ship and Crichton realizes that there is literally no way Scorpius will allow him to be killed (because of the info in his noggin) and he just has this epiphany that he can let all the loving crazy out.

e: Here's the clip :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c4UJJPEyGA

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WarLocke posted:

The turning point is honestly during the princess and stone three-parter (I think?) when Braka has Crichton in a scout ship and Crichton realizes that there is literally no way Scorpius will allow him to be killed (because of the info in his noggin) and he just has this epiphany that he can let all the loving crazy out.

Someone must think that crackers matter

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

richardfun posted:

I gave Farscape a try as well, due to this thread. I made it fairly far as I finished Season 3.

The relationships between characters are exactly why I stopped. It doesn't make sense. Rigel backstabs the group how many times? Yet they keep him around to give him another opportunity with the mentality "Well, that's Rigel for you, hahaha.". They should have dumped him out an airlock after the first attempt of his.

I just couldn't push it anymore after I hit the end of Season 3 milemarker. I lost all desire to keep watching.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Somebody said they didn't like Farscape? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQo9_VI6TnA

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

WarLocke posted:

e: Here's the clip :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c4UJJPEyGA

I'm pretty sure the lizard girl in that clip is Browder's wife

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Floppychop posted:

I gave Farscape a try as well, due to this thread. I made it fairly far as I finished Season 3.

The relationships between characters are exactly why I stopped. It doesn't make sense. Rigel backstabs the group how many times? Yet they keep him around to give him another opportunity with the mentality "Well, that's Rigel for you, hahaha.". They should have dumped him out an airlock after the first attempt of his.

I just couldn't push it anymore after I hit the end of Season 3 milemarker. I lost all desire to keep watching.

You mean like when all the characters have backstabbed each other? Do not forget that most of the cast cut off pilots arm.

Browder's wife appeared as like 5 diffrent characters.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 28, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GreenNight posted:

You don't watch Farscape for its outstanding special effects.

No, you watch it because you're 12 and aren't allowed to watch Lexx.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

No, you watch it because you're 12 and aren't allowed to watch Lexx.

Are you seriously saying that Lexx is better than Lexx?
You also in a way do watch Farscape for the practical effects. The puppets they use are amazing.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

But yeah, I also enjoyed the Cam-Vala seasons of SG-1. The big supergate battle, for instance, was one of the best battles they've had in all of Stargate.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The cheapness of the production aside, Farscape may well be the most interesting and ambitious science fiction programme to have ever aired. There are no reset buttons, ever. Everything that happens from scene to scene is remembered and effects later interactions between characters in a natural and realistic way. The story plays out almost without filler for four seasons and a mini-series.

And they take that stupid muppet midget and make you genuinely forget that he's not an actual living thing.

Floppychop posted:

They are, through necessity, stuck with each other. Each brings something to the ship the others need to survive while they are hunted by the space nazis and are all cut-off from anything even vaguely familiar to them except each other. I think that it's a mark of the genius of the show that they refused to do the scifi cliche of everyone getting along (except the obvious villain character who'll die by episode four - Voyager) or immediately becoming friends.
Their relationships are a much more complicated than that, and I found it interesting.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Message in a Bottle is a really good episode, but really these loving aliens could've chosen a slightly less aggressive way of getting their message of survival across, as opposed to, you know, impaling a dude against a wall.

However, "undomesticated equines could not remove me" might literally be the most touching moment in the series.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
Was sick the other day so I started watching SG1 yet again. It is amazing to me that no matter how many times I have watched this series, the first sight of Kinsey always pisses me off. I hate that bastard.

Also Vala haters can suck it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

cycowolf posted:

Was sick the other day so I started watching SG1 yet again. It is amazing to me that no matter how many times I have watched this series, the first sight of Kinsey always pisses me off. I hate that bastard.

Also Vala haters can suck it.

Vala was worse than Teyla. There, I said it.

At least Teyla got like no screen time.