Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruc
May 30, 2006
I decided to bite the bullet and grab the Light DLC pack and holy poo poo is light controlling like, exactly what I wanted out of this game. I never actually use my weapons, just beating the poo poo out of everything with light weapons is so drat fun especially since everything you do seems to cc stuff.

How do you guys on consoles do the targeting though? I am playing on PS4 and hold L1 to target is way too wonky and auto target seems to randomly target boxes and crates and poo poo. I really wish you could just hit L1 to TOGGLE target because holding L1 down when you have to hit L2 constantly for powers is super annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Fuzz posted:

Warlocke: what's your Quantum Troll build/layout? We should compare notes. I am completely addicted to Tachyon Burst when soloing... my Domination is so high that it usually lasts about a minute and a half on most things in T3 stuff.

Tachyon Burst, Singularity, Alcubierre Wave, Quantum Tunneling, Einstein's Ray, and either Closed Loop (Damage stance) or Event Horizon (Controller stance).

Tachyon Burst - PoT and hard CC, hits two targets
Singularity - AoE Defense Debuff, also sucks mobs together for easy AoEing and if the target mob is still alive at the end it explodes/sends them flying/does more damage
Alcubierre Wave - Cone Damage Debuff and knockback. Actually starts BEHIND you so can fling guys at your rear in front of you for easier AoEing.
Quantum Tunneling - teleport/breakout/aggro dump/very short (2 seconds?) damage shield
Einstein's Ray - Single-target pull and stun. I have it on #5 because I don't use it often, but in the situations where you want/need a pull it is VERY nice to have.
Closed Loop - 35% supercharge, breakout, short CC immunity and self-heal
Event Horizon - 50% supercharge, group-wide damage shield, power over time, and does damage to enemies who hit shielded characters

You can get all those powers and still have 6 points free for all the useful iconics (both damage buffs, the Vit/Power, Dom, Defense/Toughness and whatever else - basically the entire two bottom rows except for the two healing nodes, super strength and the Perception one). Or drop an iconic to get Temporal Extortion if you want a power dump.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Bruc posted:

I decided to bite the bullet and grab the Light DLC pack and holy poo poo is light controlling like, exactly what I wanted out of this game. I never actually use my weapons, just beating the poo poo out of everything with light weapons is so drat fun especially since everything you do seems to cc stuff.

How do you guys on consoles do the targeting though? I am playing on PS4 and hold L1 to target is way too wonky and auto target seems to randomly target boxes and crates and poo poo. I really wish you could just hit L1 to TOGGLE target because holding L1 down when you have to hit L2 constantly for powers is super annoying.

I just hold L1 with my index finger while using my middle for L2. I guess I'm used to it from owning Playstations forever but it doesn't feel weird to me.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

whatspeakyou posted:

Get into one of those GoT walk-ins. It'll net you 3500ish MoTs from one run. that should buy you tiers 1 AND 2. I would offer to help you with one, but you're one of them drat Heroes. :colbert:

I've got a Villain on the way up if that's any consolation. Running her as a Quantum Controller so that should be fun.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm not sure if anyone from the old Goonlimited is still on, but my hard light character Spaindex wasn't able to invite or change permissions etc, so Crono and I (as my rage villain Roooooooxanne) made a new villain league Goonvasion if you'd like to join. Hoping more people hop on the game and we can have some true goon fun.

All Stars is working pretty well hero-side, though I'm not able to invite or anything.

Definitely come try the game if you haven't. It's different, but really fun.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

OK I am officially boggling. Central City gear ('Tier 2.5') is about 650 MoT for level 62 gear. The tier 3 gear is level 70 but costs 1200+ MoT each. :psyduck:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

OK I am officially boggling. Central City gear ('Tier 2.5') is about 650 MoT for level 62 gear. The tier 3 gear is level 70 but costs 1200+ MoT each. :psyduck:

It was way worse a few months before, when it was 2500+ MoT each because someone hosed up their conversions hilariously.

Also, you could probably skip Central City gear, I know I did when I was doing the T2-T3 grind. I scored them all for the feat afterwards because buying all those pieces was trivial when you were doing T4 content.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MJ12 posted:

Also, you could probably skip Central City gear, I know I did when I was doing the T2-T3 grind. I scored them all for the feat afterwards because buying all those pieces was trivial when you were doing T4 content.

What CR do you need to buy t4 gear and can you get there with the CC gear? Or should I just expect to be grinding up for the t3 watchtower gear?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
T3 gear was reduced in price 50% compared to what it used to be 10,000ish for a full set compared to 20,000ish. I never bothered buying it.

Just do the T3 Nightclub/Police Station Duo (DLC4 req) to get a chance of CR64 gear from each of the four bosses then mod it using the marks you get from everything else with synthetic T3 mods from the Kryptonian vendors.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

What CR do you need to buy t4 gear and can you get there with the CC gear? Or should I just expect to be grinding up for the t3 watchtower gear?

T4 gear requires CR70. I think you may be able to get there with the CC gear if you stick good mods in, but more likely you'll need some pieces of T3 gear.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Playing on the Ps4 am I going to regret being a villain when I get to the point where I am doing mostly group stuff or is the faction pop imbalance not as bad as it apparently is on PC?.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I decided to get back into this game to scratch my superhero itch and the current endgame has me thoroughly overwhelmed. I have an electric healer (hero-side) at CR 51 and I've been doing t2 alerts in order to try to get into t3 and onwards. There are mod slots on gear now which I am having trouble finding the exobits for and there's a whole bunch of new content that I have no idea how to approach.

So I guess my question is whether there's a streamlined process of getting gear so I can progress onwards? Especially those mods, is there no other way of getting them besides for hunting for exobits and crafting?

On the other hand, I am reminded that I really enjoy the PvE content in this game. Healing all these annoying pubbies is strangely satisfying.

EDIT: For clarification, the last time I played, only 4 DLCs were available and I have all of those.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zakmonster posted:

So I guess my question is whether there's a streamlined process of getting gear so I can progress onwards? Especially those mods, is there no other way of getting them besides for hunting for exobits and crafting?

I'm still figuring things out myself, but as for mod slots and crafting, I don't think at low tier levels you really have to do it, and at tier 3 and above you can now buy 'synthetic mods' from the same vendors you buy armor from. They aren't as good as a 'real' mod but they just cost Marks of Triumph. So you don't HAVE to farm for exobits until/unless you want the very best mods at endgame/tier 5. I think.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I'm still figuring things out myself, but as for mod slots and crafting, I don't think at low tier levels you really have to do it, and at tier 3 and above you can now buy 'synthetic mods' from the same vendors you buy armor from. They aren't as good as a 'real' mod but they just cost Marks of Triumph. So you don't HAVE to farm for exobits until/unless you want the very best mods at endgame/tier 5. I think.

Oh, that's good to know. I guess I just have to grab a few more pieces of t2 so I can clear that CR53 hump and then finally be able to see Coast City (or Central City, I forgot which).

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zakmonster posted:

Oh, that's good to know. I guess I just have to grab a few more pieces of t2 so I can clear that CR53 hump and then finally be able to see Coast City (or Central City, I forgot which).

Central. Coast City's still not in, I have suspicions it'll be the hub for War of the Light II.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Zakmonster posted:

The problem getting over that hump is you can have full t2 armor (I even had some level 56 and 58 armor from drops) but since my weapon, neck, and trinkets were all level 30 to 34 the average gets dragged down and I was stuck at 51 for almost a week. You really need to hit the tier 2 duos hard and hope for a weapon drop, when I finally got a level 48 rifle it got me the last 2 CR I needed to get into Central City (even if it's a weapon you don't use, just having it in your inventory will count it for your CR). And once you can get into CC you can buy a new weapon immediately for 600 MoT.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

WarLocke posted:

The problem getting over that hump is you can have full t2 armor (I even had some level 56 and 58 armor from drops) but since my weapon, neck, and trinkets were all level 30 to 34 the average gets dragged down and I was stuck at 51 for almost a week. You really need to hit the tier 2 duos hard and hope for a weapon drop, when I finally got a level 48 rifle it got me the last 2 CR I needed to get into Central City (even if it's a weapon you don't use, just having it in your inventory will count it for your CR). And once you can get into CC you can buy a new weapon immediately for 600 MoT.

Well, lucky for me I got a purple rifle from the Star Labs alert last night, which bumped me up to 52. How would I go about trying to upgrade the non-armor pieces? Hammer duos/alerts and hope for a drop from the boss?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

They're adding purchasable weapons/rings/necks etc for T1, T2 & T4 in game update 34 which should be out soon (it's on the test server).

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Giedroyc posted:

They're adding purchasable weapons/rings/necks etc for T1, T2 & T4 in game update 34 which should be out soon (it's on the test server).

Oh thank god for that!

I'm really happy with how SOE is starting to remove a lot of the grind and replace it with just being able to get what you need. If they keep this up, maybe the game can last another couple years.

Edit: Hey, while I'm here I need to ask if there's any way to be able to aim your attacks like you can with a mouse if you're using a 360 controller. My left stick is getting to the point where it gets stuck moving forward sometimes and readjusting it sends my aim way off.

Crono S. Magnum fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 24, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's strange how in a superhero game the dress-up is the weakest part.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Giedroyc posted:

Very soon, in fact:

quote:

@DCUO: Game Update 34 launches tomorrow. 4 hours of downtime begins at 6AM PST. Stay tuned for details. [Mepps]

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Trying to decide how best to get through tier 3. I can save up 1500 MoT for a level 70 chest, or I can spend 650+125 MoT for a level 62 chest and synthetic III mod...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Go with the 70 gear if you're willing to be patient. It is so much nicer to be at-level when you break into a new tier than just boosted by mods, take it from me. (Especially T4 onwards.)

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Go with the 70 gear if you're willing to be patient. It is so much nicer to be at-level when you break into a new tier than just boosted by mods, take it from me. (Especially T4 onwards.)

This is really important to know in T5, where a super-awesome mod might give you +120 health or something and +10 CR, while actually getting the CR from your equipment may give you +200 health plus a billion other stats. Mods generally give low returns (the base mods are legitimately fantastic though because they scale very well), if you're rocking all Cr90 gear with Synthetic I mods you are probably going to be performing at 99% of the ability of an equivalent character with Expert V mods.

It's funny because I bet it's entirely intentional. I suspect Sony is trying to troll the poo poo out of CR hounds (i.e. 90% of pubbies) by making it so you could have a CR92 character who is legitimately better in all ways than a character with CR100.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I was just more suggesting it because the T4 dailies can be kind of murderous if you're undergeared. They already hit hard when you first arrive. (Hi, Clownvanity)

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I was just more suggesting it because the T4 dailies can be kind of murderous if you're undergeared. They already hit hard when you first arrive. (Hi, Clownvanity)

I was editing it a bit, I realized that I was actually agreeing with you. :p

Also, the T4 dailies are hugely difficult compared to Gates, which you should run a bunch until you get a ton of T4 stuff anyways. I've actually legitimately gotten my butt kicked by things in the T4 dailies and the T4 solo instances despite having low-level (~81) T5 gear.

Basically it should be something like Shady Nightclub (Police Station for villains?)->FoS 1/3 (2 is interestingly hard due to pubbies insisting on one tank and one tank only and one really weird segment, plus the enemies having anomalously high damage for trash mobs)-> Gates -> Prime -> T5 Challenges -> Gotham Wasteland.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I guess I should have asked whether the t3 duos/alerts/bonus boxes drop gear that can substitute for the way overpriced t3 armor sets. 1500 MoT is ridiculous when all the CC dailies give maybe 120 MoT in total. It just seems like such a bullshit jump in cost compared to the t1-t2 increase.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

They're changing the T4 bounty missions with this update so they always drop a piece of gear now, provided you can find a group to do it with.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

:siren: 'Work in Progress' livestream going on RIGHT NOW :siren:

http://www.twitch.tv/dcuniverseonline

Mention of 'Weapon Mastery' and "flowing through multiple weapons during battle"
Weapon Mastery is special combos that go from HB to Brawling to MA to etc etc (predetermined moves)
Billed as alternative to clipping
Weapon trees will have 4 rows of passives
Third row is weapon mastery combo unlocks, 4th row is more passive bonuses, stated to be tuned for CR115?
If you use these combos and clip a power at the end instead of early you get dmg/crit bonuses
Each weapon combos into two other weapons, like a flowchart (ex HB goes to Brawling or Bow, then Brawling goes to Two-Hand or MA, etc etc)
Some weapon combos are changed around (mentioned are Two-Hand and Staff having more tap-hold combos)
Mention of a power animation timing pass, normalizing animations (long ones shorter, some extremely fast ones longer/slower)
Enforcing minimum animation time for jump canceling?
"Sunsetting ranged charge-up attacks" -> becoming basic hold attacks

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 25, 2014

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Can you chat in group while also in party chat on PS3/4? my friend and I are always partied up but it would be nice to be ableto talk to other people in the group as well if need be.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Mention of 'Weapon Mastery' and "flowing through multiple weapons during battle"
Weapon Mastery is special combos that go from HB to Brawling to MA to etc etc (predetermined moves)

if i can do shield/sword/bow and be taskmaster then i can die happy

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Spaceman Bill posted:

if i can do shield/sword/bow and be taskmaster then i can die happy

OK, so this is how they are saying it works. Each wepon type has two other weapons it can combo into, and you unlock these with new skill point options. So Hand Blaster can combo into Brawling or Bow, but it's one-way - Brawling has its own two weapons it can combo into, it can't go right back to Hand Blasters.

Basically these combos are just new moves added to existing combos. For example Martial Arts Lunging Knee combo then hold range = tack Lofting Shot onto the end.

It's not infinite combos. You start with one weapon, you combo to a second weapon, then the combo ends.

The added mastery combos can't be clipped (if you clip early they just don't do damage) BUT if you fire off a tray power right as the final hit lands you get a damage (and/ore crit?) bonus to that power. This is apparently how they plan to encourage people to not clip.

e: This isn't in GU34 coming tomorrow, it will be part of DLC 10 (Amazon Fury). So it's not free to everyone, if you're Legendary you get it or if you buy Amazon Fury as a free/premium you also get it.

e2: Dev post on it in new subforum:

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/work-in-progress-weapon-mastery.193243/

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 25, 2014

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Do people on consoles ever end up actually playing as the role they queue for at any point? every dungeon I have done so far up to around level 18 has consisted of me as controller plus 3 DPS (and then I can see a healer role and tank role underneath the DPS symbol in the party). It makes poo poo really frustrating and un-fun in dungeons because nobody heals or tanks and most people are bad anyhow which makes it even worse. I assume it gets better at 30 at least but for now it's seriously a pain.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bruc posted:

Do people on consoles ever end up actually playing as the role they queue for at any point? every dungeon I have done so far up to around level 18 has consisted of me as controller plus 3 DPS (and then I can see a healer role and tank role underneath the DPS symbol in the party). It makes poo poo really frustrating and un-fun in dungeons because nobody heals or tanks and most people are bad anyhow which makes it even worse. I assume it gets better at 30 at least but for now it's seriously a pain.

No, not really. I can't speak for consoles specifically but people are really in love with their DPS roles in this game.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

the league im in actually discouraged me from going controller role cause hard light is apparently bad at it/great at dps (and so far ive agreed)

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

:siren: 'Work in Progress' livestream going on RIGHT NOW :siren:

http://www.twitch.tv/dcuniverseonline

Billed as alternative to clipping
Weapon trees will have 4 rows of passives
Third row is weapon mastery combo unlocks, 4th row is more passive bonuses, stated to be tuned for CR115?
If you use these combos and clip a power at the end instead of early you get dmg/crit bonuses
Each weapon combos into two other weapons, like a flowchart (ex HB goes to Brawling or Bow, then Brawling goes to Two-Hand or MA, etc etc)
Some weapon combos are changed around (mentioned are Two-Hand and Staff having more tap-hold combos)
Mention of a power animation timing pass, normalizing animations (long ones shorter, some extremely fast ones longer/slower)
Enforcing minimum animation time for jump canceling?
"Sunsetting ranged charge-up attacks" -> becoming basic hold attacks

Oh god this sounds loving amazing and I love the poo poo out of the idea that I can absolutely murder the poo poo out of people with weapon after weapon.

I can't wait for DLC10 to come along so these guys can take my money already. :(

Bruc
May 30, 2006

WarLocke posted:

No, not really. I can't speak for consoles specifically but people are really in love with their DPS roles in this game.

It's really dumb they can queue as something and not actually play it, bleh.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Spaceman Bill posted:

the league im in actually discouraged me from going controller role cause hard light is apparently bad at it/great at dps (and so far ive agreed)

I may not be an uber gamer or anything, but hard light is fantastic at controlling, assuming you don't die. Your pot puts you in the middle of the action, but you don't have to worry about running out of power yourself like some of the other controllers so you have tons of staying power as long as you're alive.

People underestimate how useful the combos are and instead go for MAXIMUM CLIPPAGE which defeats the whole point of the set.

It is really, really good at dps though. And you'll never run out of power unless you get stunlocked or something.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

mastajake posted:

I may not be an uber gamer or anything, but hard light is fantastic at controlling, assuming you don't die. Your pot puts you in the middle of the action, but you don't have to worry about running out of power yourself like some of the other controllers so you have tons of staying power as long as you're alive.

People underestimate how useful the combos are and instead go for MAXIMUM CLIPPAGE which defeats the whole point of the set.

It is really, really good at dps though. And you'll never run out of power unless you get stunlocked or something.

This is the one thing I'm not a fan of when it comes to Rage: HL can survive on very little power, but Rage is power hungry as gently caress when it comes to DPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Holy poo poo, if you can chain One Handed and Shield, I will be so happy.

• Locked thread