Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Vatek posted:

Multiboxing carrier ratters make so much money that losing one occasionally doesn't inflict much of a dent in their wallet.

Trabisnikof posted:

Plus there are people who multibox carrier ratting so that they can all cyno in if one gets hotdropped.

Ahhhh, I see. I guess I was thinking too small, at only one carrier. Silly me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

nessin posted:

Pretty sure the knowledge that the Rus would get involved made a significant difference. You're reading far too literally into that statement than even an idiot should.

I think he takes a lot of credit away from CFC FCs is my point, I guess that's just my idiot opinion?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alchenar posted:

Fixed for you.

People rat in supers now, most people who can afford 12 carriers + optimal ratting fittings normally upgrade to a super.

A Nyx can bring in some pretty awesome ticks, especially with archon support.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

What ticks would you expect from a Thantos solo in a sanctum, for example?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

subhelios posted:

I had heard about this game from some other goons, figured I'd give it a try. Read the OP and followed the instructions (I thought), but I think I hosed up with the vcode thingy. When I got to step 5 it just said 'character', and when I pressed continue it dumped me back at the beginning. Starting to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

I have honestly no idea, maybe I'm destined for a life of being lovely :v:

Tried it again and it seems to be working so far. Now to see if I'll actually get the email.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mynnna posted:

Yeah it's riddled with poor assumptions and factual errors, though the overall point isn't a bad one.

I like how Kugutsumen apparently created Pandemic Legion and not the true king of war, Shamis Orzoz.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alexzandvar posted:

People rat in supers now, most people who can afford 12 carriers + optimal ratting fittings normally upgrade to a super.

I don't know if anyone dumb enough to rat in a super counts as "people."

Even running anomalies in a carrier is pretty wasteful compared to what you could be doing with the same capital and skillset, unless you're multiboxing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ice Fist posted:

The only thing I thought was garbage from reading his analysis was the 'RUS FCs gave encouragement to CFC to drop on PL/N3 supercaps.' The story I heard is that Laz had a pair of steel balls and said 'gently caress it' and dropped everything he had. It never sounded like he had an angry Russian in his ear telling him to drop.

Laz was also goaded constantly on OG Mumble when playing BF4 with us. I would like to take credit for that :colbert:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Uba Stij posted:

Laz was also goaded constantly on OG Mumble when playing BF4 with us. I would like to take credit for that :colbert:

Ok ok. I give. Uba actually caused B-R.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ice Fist posted:

Ok ok. I give. Uba actually caused B-R.

Just call me the master of the meta game :unsmith:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Alexzandvar posted:

Supers can only use fighters, which suck rear end. Nobody sane rats in a super. People use them for occasional missions / plexes that are ungated and have a structure to kill, but due to their inability to use normal drones they see significantly less PvE use than a few years back.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Alexzandvar posted:

An Eve-O pubbie with terrible advice? Well, I never

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booley posted:

Supers can only use fighters, which suck rear end. Nobody sane rats in a super. People use them for occasional missions / plexes that are ungated and have a structure to kill, but due to their inability to use normal drones they see significantly less PvE use than a few years back.

You are correct in the plexes with structures, but the Russians do use supers for ratting and other assorted alliances which are crazy enough.

I used to rat with an Aussie who used a Nyx and an archon and 2 thanatos. He could clear a sanctum in no time.

Really its just another risk v reward thing. If your crazy enough to do it in the right region with a dead end system it prints money, if your not your just an idiot.

EDIT: I never said "go rat in a super", I said there are people who do rat in them.

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 23, 2014

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Alexzandvar posted:

You are correct in the plexes with structures, but the Russians do use supers for ratting and other assorted alliances which are crazy enough.

I used to rat with an Aussie who used a Nyx and an archon and 2 thanatos. He could clear a sanctum in no time.

Really its just another risk v reward thing. If your crazy enough to do it in the right region with a dead end system it prints money, if your not your just an idiot.

EDIT: I never said "go rat in a super", I said there are people who do rat in them.

See, that's dumb because he could clear it faster in another thanny/archon rather than the nyx. Please stop posting about things which you have no clue about.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Booley posted:

See, that's dumb because he could clear it faster in another thanny/archon rather than the nyx. Please stop posting about things which you have no clue about.

You beat me to it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well I apologize then, just trying to give my 2 cents. Admittedly I am not an expert on any ratting beyond a sub cap, so Ill shut up about it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Alexzandvar posted:

Well I apologize then, just trying to give my 2 cents. Admittedly I am not an expert on any ratting beyond a sub cap, so Ill shut up about it.

What's your preference in terms of subcap ratting?

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Lowkin posted:

I've posted a bunch times I'm not leaving high-sec until I get myself situated, I gave this game a try for 2 months back in 09 and I hated it because I moved to the goon station. I was underclassed in every fight. I am quite content skilling up and ratting missions while I figure this game out.

I am not going to rush into null-sec only to be blown up a million times as a learning experience, that is not fun for me and I will end up quitting.

All the threads about this stuff are 2 years old and I don't know if they are relevant. I'll just start using the rookie help channel.

You will always be outclassed in every fight and never 'ready for nullsec'. Being ready for nullsec has literally nothing to do with the size of your wallet or your character skills or how many missions you've run, and everything to do with who you play with, how you pilot your ship, and your ability to make smart decisions under pressure. You cannot acquire these things in highsec, period.

Highsec level 4 missions will also leave you 100% unprepared for the lowsec level 5 mission running you think you're going to 'graduate' to-- a terrible, boring goal in and of itself. You will lose a blinged out autism chariot or two to mission probers or gatecamps and quit in frustration, thinking that it's somehow the game's fault that you refused to expose yourself to risk early on when the only cost is a tiny bit of mental fortitude.

Enjoy your eternal missionrunning grind. The actual Eve that you read about, that drew you in, is clearly not for you.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

A drake. :colbert:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I unironically miss drakes :smith:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In the past when I wasn't trapped in highsec like I am now I used to run a HAM tengu.

I made most of my money doing escalations and scannable sights with a group of friends. This was in Feyth of course, Angel rats and all, which meant having to tank for 3 damage types which was a pain in the rear end.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014

Duzzy Funlop posted:

HAM Tengu seems to work pretty well for me.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Bean Head posted:

HAM Tengu seems to work pretty well for me.

I used to HML Tengu, but then I wised up and started on the path of VNI -> Ishtar. I made 200m yesterday in about 3 hours. (Which is chump change, but still, no effort.)

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

mikey posted:

You will always be outclassed in every fight and never 'ready for nullsec'. Being ready for nullsec has literally nothing to do with the size of your wallet or your character skills or how many missions you've run, and everything to do with who you play with, how you pilot your ship, and your ability to make smart decisions under pressure. You cannot acquire these things in highsec, period.

I'd caveat that this is really a major benefit of being a Goon In Space, rather than being a feature of nullsec. Living in nullsec does actually require a certain (albeit lower than probably anticipated) amount of skill and isk, but Goonswarm goes out of its way to provide the capital you need to transition straight in.

Not trying to be pedantic, but there is some foundation to the concerns if the person is unconvinced of how deeply Goons bend over backwards to help situate newbies. Nullsec isn't the Promised Land, Goons have tended the soil.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Booley posted:

Booley posted:

Thing is, super ratting doesn't necessarily rely on drones. Rats in, say, a gate haven all spawn on the same spot. You sit your super down on that spot, permarun officer smartbombs and watch your wallet grow. The carrier really does nothing besides blapping rats that wander out of smartbomb range.

e:

SpaceDrake posted:

Ahhhh, I see. I guess I was thinking too small, at only one carrier. Silly me :v:

I'm quite happy with my single ratting Archon for now (though I have a feeling two Archons in one anom might make sentry ratting viable again, I'll try that with a carrier and an isktar first :getin:).

As long as you don't get hotdropped, idiots in random interceptors and gimmick fit Scythe Fleet Issues really don't stand a chance against you. If no dictor is involved, you can even get away from gangs that would normally kick your poo poo in. This is, of course, due to the awesome power of the MTU/warp stab combination: whenever assholes come in to shoot you, you just refit your lows to warp stabs, align to the POS, and gently caress off. Alternatively, you spam your bottomless reserve of drones at them and watch them melt while being able to mash warp if enough people to drown you in scrams appear.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 23, 2014

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Coffee. Cigarettes. Beer. Kimchi. Ingest.

Lowkin posted:

I've posted a bunch times I'm not leaving high-sec until I get myself situated, I gave this game a try for 2 months back in 09 and I hated it because I moved to the goon station. I was underclassed in every fight. I am quite content skilling up and ratting missions while I figure this game out.

I am not going to rush into null-sec only to be blown up a million times as a learning experience, that is not fun for me and I will end up quitting.

All the threads about this stuff are 2 years old and I don't know if they are relevant. I'll just start using the rookie help channel.

Seriously man, most of what highsec is good for is ganking. You will die in nullsec and that's fine. We've all died in this game. If you want to mission in highsec, why not rat in null? If you turn around and say that it's because of skills, you can train for a navy vexor and while you're training for that I'll rat with you. I need to rat anyway to increase my sec status. You can also participate in fleets in a rifter as fast tackle/scout. Everyone loves rifters!

I know I'm being the broken record here, but highsec is not worth living in, unless you're a pirate.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Conskill posted:

I'd caveat that this is really a major benefit of being a Goon In Space, rather than being a feature of nullsec. Living in nullsec does actually require a certain (albeit lower than probably anticipated) amount of skill and isk, but Goonswarm goes out of its way to provide the capital you need to transition straight in.

Not trying to be pedantic, but there is some foundation to the concerns if the person is unconvinced of how deeply Goons bend over backwards to help situate newbies. Nullsec isn't the Promised Land, Goons have tended the soil.

Even if he can't get in Goonwaffe, Groon is still 'Goons In Space'. Your moneymaking opportunities may not be as varied and profitable in Syndicate, but you'll still get the help and experience you need (and I assume some free T1 frigates/cruisers). The only requirements are having an SA account and not being a total shitlord. I mean, Noctis Horrendae is presumably still in Groon, so the bar is just not that high.

xlr82xs
Sep 9, 2008
What sort of isk do you make running level 3s and 4s in highsec anyway ?

I'm probably one of the worst ratters in theta and I average 30-40 mil an hour for clicking 9 times and watching Netflix.
Will going back to highsec make me space rich faster ?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

What ticks would you expect from a Thantos solo in a sanctum, for example?

80m? 60m? Expect somewhere around 60-100, I would think.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

80m? 60m? Expect somewhere around 60-100, I would think.

3 ticks x 30 mil, maybe a bit more, so thereabouts. It's only 1/3 to 1/4 more than an isktar could get (60-70 mil/h), but why would you not rat in a carrier if you can.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Lowkin posted:

If you were not a goon, this would be the correct thing to do. However, if you move to nullsec and then join the theta/sigma channels and state that you are new and scared of losing ships, people will give you several hundred million isk and, in my case literally, a pack of 50 rifters. I started playing 3 weeks ago and am doing the same things as you; loving around independently till I feel comfortable with how the game works. However, I am doing this in 0.0 space in an infinite series of caracals, because they will not stop giving me money.

I lost a Noctis yesterday to a gatecamp 3 minutes after I first jumped into the ship. With fittings it was worth like, 90 million? I forgot to insure it.

I did not care because I was given it for free after I mentioned salvaging in a frigate. It owns. I bought another immediately afterwards.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

blowfish posted:

3 ticks x 30 mil, maybe a bit more, so thereabouts. It's only 1/3 to 1/4 more than an isktar could get (60-70 mil/h), but why would you not rat in a carrier if you can.

Because it's dismal income for what you're risking, and because unless you have a beastly computer and the will to fund tons of accounts at once ratting is a dead end in terms of scaling income.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

subhelios posted:

I had heard about this game from some other goons, figured I'd give it a try. Read the OP and followed the instructions (I thought), but I think I hosed up with the vcode thingy. When I got to step 5 it just said 'character', and when I pressed continue it dumped me back at the beginning. Starting to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

I have honestly no idea, maybe I'm destined for a life of being lovely :v:

I heard you got this figured out, but this happened to me too. The EVE API needs time to update and if you try to register too quickly, it won't have time to update and pull your Character Names. Or something along these lines.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
Wrecking shot huh SUAS? ...

I like it, it's quite different to the other stuff.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014

Kheldragar posted:

I used to HML Tengu, but then I wised up and started on the path of VNI -> Ishtar. I made 200m yesterday in about 3 hours. (Which is chump change, but still, no effort.)

I'm slowly moving on to that path too, it'd certainly be less of an expensive loss when I inevitably get a hot drop attempt and seemingly less work than the Tengu. :v:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Booley posted:

This is actually a thing. In the deep south, anoms are set up in such a way that you can use a smartbombing supercarrier to clear them very rapidly - smartbombs are as wide as the ship model, so in a small anom a Nyx can bomb everything.

It made themittani dot com when one got blown up :v:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Red Crown posted:

This is actually a thing. In the deep south, anoms are set up in such a way that you can use a smartbombing supercarrier to clear them very rapidly - smartbombs are as wide as the ship model, so in a small anom a Nyx can bomb everything.

It made themittani dot com when one got blown up :v:

It's still a dumb thing. It only works against sansha/blood rats because all non-EM smartbombs suck rear end, and parks your 20b ship in place pretty close to the warpin for the anom.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bean Head posted:

I'm slowly moving on to that path too, it'd certainly be less of an expensive loss when I inevitably get a hot drop attempt and seemingly less work than the Tengu. :v:

With some good skills the tengu's align time is very short, making you pretty drat hard to catch barring a really lucky interceptor, and if your packing precision tech 2 missiles you might have a chance of killing him before his buds show up.

to be honest I wouldn't recommend ratting in anything you can't already pay for if you lost it the second you undock. And if a cloaky camper sets up in your system just tech 2 your fit and be ready to warp out.

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 23, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Cerebral Wolf posted:

Wrecking shot huh SUAS? ...

I like it, it's quite different to the other stuff.

Wait, what? Apparently I missed something amongst all this unironic talk of hisec mission running.

What are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Red Crown posted:

I really don't get this whole "CFC fears PL FCs" thing. I feel like he pulled a lot of that article out of his rear end.

James 316 knows how to tell a good story. Facts are optional.

• Locked thread