Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I saw Phantogram last night and got this:

Really drat jealous. All their stuff was back-ordered on Sears, too. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
It's funny to me that Sear's is, once again, an epicenter of record buying, like it was in the 60's.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

man if you are holding back on the Solaris or Dredd ost's on Sears, pull the fuckin' trigger. This poo poo sounds incredible.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
I am glad that Sears worked out for you guys. I've got a couple orders coming in that I am totally excited about. I also found a cool trick to the search field: try searching by indie labels, it surprisingly groups them perfectly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I finally got my paycheck, so I'm digging around on Sears---man, a whole lot of reggae in the under $10 filter. I have no idea if any of it is good or not, since I'm basically oblivious to that sound, but I'm tempted to throw some in for the hell of it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
As a former Sears Holdings employee, it looks like this stuff is sold by a different store and fulfilled by Sears. Their website is really poor at differentiating that, to the point where it even says "Sold by: Sears" in the confirmation email.

Sears doesn't stock records online or in stores. The dude who signs the "your order is processing" email was my boss' boss' boss.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I wonder if this is a permanent thing or Sears randomly bought a million records as a one-time thing and this bliss is a very temporary thing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

beergod posted:

I wonder if this is a permanent thing or Sears randomly bought a million records as a one-time thing and this bliss is a very temporary thing.

Yeah, I don't think they're going to maintain the selection that they have up now, it feels like they somehow ended up with a distributor's inventory and are unloading it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jesus, I have like fifty tabs up of records I might buy. Time to slow down a bit.

e: ...he says, searching some more.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
My five came in two packages, each with standard cardboard mailers inside a crinkly but still durable cardboard wrapping. I selected the 99 cent shipping and got both in a few days. I got:

DJ Shadow - Entroducing
Holy gently caress - Latin
Justin Timberlake - Justified
At the Drive-In - Acrobatic Tenement (colored)
The Menzingers - A Lesson in the Abuse of Information Technology (colored)

For $65 I can't complain at all. And I get paid again on Thursday :getin:

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Snowy posted:

My new fun way to use Discogs is to keep open a tab of "collection with statistics" and occasionally refresh to see how the market is treating my collection value. This is only for entertainment value, since they don't give you any info on which sales are affecting price estimates, but it's fun to see the fluctuations.

Oh poo poo. I didn't know this existed until now. I'm only maybe a third of the way into entering all of my collection on there and apparently what I do have is worth quite a bit. Fun.

So jealous of all you people getting orders from Sears. loving Australia.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

luncheon meat posted:

So jealous of all you people getting orders from Sears. loving Australia.
here here

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, Sears along with its 1 dollar shipping makes a Secret Santa swap type thing really palatable.

e: wink wink

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 23, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
For everyone freaking out about the Expedit: http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312.

It's not that bad, and I actually think that the Kallax looks a bit better without the fat edges. The Expedit is a pretty awesome piece of inexpensive furniture but it's become so ubiquitous that it immediately screams 'IKEA.'

I'm not saying that the Kallax won't as well, or that it'll even approximate looking high-end, but at least it'll be less obvious for a while.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
What type of inner sleeves do you all recommend for when it comes to protecting your records? I typically use the Ultimate Outer 5.0 from sleeve city to keep my collection in check, if that helps.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pookdaddy G posted:

What type of inner sleeves do you all recommend for when it comes to protecting your records? I typically use the Ultimate Outer 5.0 from sleeve city to keep my collection in check, if that helps.

Whatever anti static ones are cheapest. I think the last ones I bought were called disc master or something.

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008
Superunknown repress incoming.
http://soundgardenworld.com/superunknown20/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just started looking up vinyl thickness and found out that there's 240 gram records. 180 is for fuckin pussies! Thick vinyl is really cool on 7"s too, I have a Brainbombs 7" that feels so nice and hefty, I wish that was used more often.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sweet Christ I am an old man.

On the upside of that hopefully more albums from my childhood will keep coming out as they hit 20.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sublime reissue for record store day apparently, hopefully it comes to Australia.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

bowmore posted:

Sublime reissue for record store day apparently, hopefully it comes to Australia.

Why?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Because I like Sublime.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Snowy posted:

I just started looking up vinyl thickness and found out that there's 240 gram records. 180 is for fuckin pussies! Thick vinyl is really cool on 7"s too, I have a Brainbombs 7" that feels so nice and hefty, I wish that was used more often.

Edison Diamond Discs. :colbert:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ron Burgundy posted:

Edison Diamond Discs. :colbert:

You know you're making it thick enough when there's room to stamp writing on the edge. :cheers:

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
just received Johnny Greenwoods "The Master" soundtrack on Sears. The score sounds incredible, plus the cover art is the perfect homage to PSH. Highly recommended if you guys like original scores.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Got an email from amazon, that cheap 808 + Heartbreak repress ain't happenin.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
More bad news. Prices on the sears site have all gone up. Looks like I missed out. :(

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

DammitJanet posted:

More bad news. Prices on the sears site have all gone up. Looks like I missed out. :(

drat, I was just about to place an order on my lunch break. Oh well.

I bought a 4x2 Expedit over the weekend and just set it up last night. Can definitely see why these are recommended shelves. On average, how many records can each section hold?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
~80-100 depending on gatefolds, etc. 100 LPs is pretty damnn tight, though. Also, I put a tight fit 1x2 block stop in the rear of each cube on my big shelf to line everything up and not have poo poo slide out the back. Adds a little stability, too.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 25, 2014

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

DammitJanet posted:

bummer. was great while it lasted.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

DammitJanet posted:

I spent three hours last night trying to build up a cart of three records (thanks to their broke-rear end website) that I thought were worth buying that totaled $50 so I could use the $5 off $50 coupon. I made it to $48.67 before giving up, assuming I could finish the job today.

I am wholeheartedly regretting that decision now, so I just took my Sun Araw Amazon coupon and bought This Is Happening by LCD Soundsystem.

I'm pretty sure that's the last time I'm going to see Grizzly Bear records for less than $25 or Kavinsky's "Outrun" for less than $30 for a long time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DammitJanet posted:

Like across the board everything's more expensive? I'm still seeing a ton of good records in the 10-12 dollar range.

Edit: yeah it definitely seems more expensive now. Guess it wasn't absurd to put 4 orders in in the past week?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 25, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
truly it was a paradise, gone too soon from our tender grasp

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Records would be so much more popular if those sears prices were normal prices.
I spend $100s of dollars on new records when they are less than $12 each. I spend zero dollars on new records when they are $18+.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

stay depressed posted:

truly it was a paradise, gone too soon from our tender grasp

At least I got most of what I wanted. Should've grabbed Pinkerton though.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Cloks posted:

At least I got most of what I wanted. Should've grabbed Pinkerton though.

I ordered today anyway and still picked up three records that were cheaper than amazon's prices or that amazon straight up doesn't have, and used the $5 off $50 coupon, so it might be worth price checking your faves.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The under 10$ records haven't changed pricing it looks like.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If you have one of the weird brick and mortar Sears that aren't really clothing stores in your area, you can still find some pretty cheap vinyl records. I don't know if they're just slow on the draw, but I grabbed the Dredd OST, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and Random Access Memories for under $35. The pricing might be determined by individual store managers, so there's still hope!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ugh, I didn't pull the trigger. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

cosmicjim posted:

Records would be so much more popular if those sears prices were normal prices.
I spend $100s of dollars on new records when they are less than $12 each. I spend zero dollars on new records when they are $18+.

It's like it's a niche hobby for collectors