Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

wolrah posted:

Sometimes. Chris Harris famously bought a used S4, noticed that a few things were a bit off about it, and discovered it was the very same press car he had thrashed the poo poo out of in a drifting video some time prior.

43 of the 100 Fiesta Movement cars from 2010 were sent here. They are Euro-Spec Fiesta's that were brought over for a marketing campaign before the NA Fiesta went on sale. They could only be driven on the street for a certain period of time in the US. Being turned into rally cars is much better than being crushed or sent back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

About Chernobyl, a lot people don't realize, the Russians/Ukrainians continued to run the remaining three reactors until 2000.

Also the shots of the country side of Ukraine at times looked almost like the American plains states with how boring it was. I swear minus the Cyrillic letters and soviet era monuments it looked just like driving through Oklahoma or Kansas.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oklahoma and Kansas aren't that green.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, and the Charge being such a big part of (especially) British cultural history is why I really want to know, in light of this:

... whether the producers' written note, delivered to them on the overlook, was meant to be read as a direct reference to the unclear note that sparked the battle, or whether a British audience would immediately recognize it as such. Or whether it was a complete and unbelievable coincidence of TG tropes.

Well, I thought it was an intentional joke, but now you've got me doubting myself.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I genuinely giggled at the credits for Extra Brave Film Camera at the end.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

After watching this week's episode I really want a Focus three cylinder. However I don't think they are released in Australia yet.

Pretty good episode, but I wish it would stop raining in England for two seconds so they can get some dry laps in this season.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

You Am I posted:

After watching this week's episode I really want a Focus three cylinder.

They do look tasty!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's a lot of money for a slow car. Would much prefer a renaultsport Clio.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I liked the use of that creepy-rear end track off the new Boards of Canada album that they used during the Chernobyl scene. It was just perfect, especially considering the tone/theme of the album.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pretty fantastic episode all round really. Glad I didn't skip the interview this time around, as James Blunt was surprisingly interesting and funny.

Despite a pretty lackluster first week, this has been good series so far - definitely better than the last one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

It's a lot of money for a slow car. Would much prefer a renaultsport Clio.

If you're shopping for a RenaultSport Clio, you'd use the Fiesta ST as a comparable car, not the 3 cylinder.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You Am I posted:

If you're shopping for a RenaultSport Clio, you'd use the Fiesta ST as a comparable car, not the 3 cylinder.

Obviously, just pretty similar money I mean.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

webmeister posted:

Pretty fantastic episode all round really. Glad I didn't skip the interview this time around, as James Blunt was surprisingly interesting and funny.

His girlfriend's face when he made that joke about being under Joss Stone was hilarious.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

captainOrbital posted:

I liked the use of that creepy-rear end track off the new Boards of Canada album that they used during the Chernobyl scene. It was just perfect, especially considering the tone/theme of the album.

I was wondering what that was, cheers. Guess I'm gonna have to go out and buy that album.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

nmfree posted:

I'll go ahead and be that guy: what the hell was this all about?

Freemasons, funny handshake, old boys club etc.

neckbeard posted:

Kinda wondering if they put off the McLaren P1's lap hoping there would be drier conditions later on

Yeah, given the conditions over the past few weeks I think they are waiting for a dry spell to put the P1 round the track. Doing a lap on the lake that James Blunt drive round would be pointless.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 19, 2014

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Delsaber posted:

I was wondering what that was, cheers. Guess I'm gonna have to go out and buy that album.
Finalgear is a great resource in case you're ever wondering what music they are using:

http://forums.finalgear.com/wts-tg-season-21/21x03-february-16th-2014-a-57487/

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

little 3 cylinder cars are a lot of fun to drive :)

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Tomarse posted:

little 3 cylinder cars are a lot of fun to drive :)

James May said a while ago that he likes his panda since it is easy to take to the limit and have fun in, where as in a zonda you have to be doing highly illegal things to take it to its limit. Then again though, James May.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alighieri posted:

James May said a while ago that he likes his panda since it is easy to take to the limit and have fun in, where as in a zonda you have to be doing highly illegal things to take it to its limit. Then again though, James May.

Meaning, James May is right, because he usually is. It's a hell of a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow. And driving a fast car fast requires a race track, or a hell of a lot more open road / willingness to risk one hell of a ticket than flogging a slow-but-fun car up a mountain road.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

IOwnCalculus posted:

Meaning, James May is right, because he usually is. It's a hell of a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow. And driving a fast car fast requires a race track, or a hell of a lot more open road / willingness to risk one hell of a ticket than flogging a slow-but-fun car up a mountain road.

James is indeed right and surprisingly even Jeremy seemed to get this when he was thrashing the up! up the mountain in this episode. I never thought it could be more fun till I spent time driving one too.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
My personal favorite is to drive an intermediate car fast, but v:v:v.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The slower and shittier, the better. Some of the best fun I've had was pushing my Blazer around highway onramps, on the edge of oversteer at 30 mph.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fucknag posted:

The slower and shittier, the better. Some of the best fun I've had was pushing my Blazer around highway onramps, (by hand) on the edge of (emotional breakdown) at -2 mph.

In the case of my beater corolla.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fucknag posted:

The slower and shittier, the better. Some of the best fun I've had was pushing my Blazer around highway onramps, on the edge of oversteer at 30 mph.

Mine was driving my 1974 Super Beetle on dirt roads.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tsuru posted:

Finalgear is a great resource in case you're ever wondering what music they are using:

http://forums.finalgear.com/wts-tg-season-21/21x03-february-16th-2014-a-57487/

:stare:
I really shouldn't be, but even after nearly 20 years on the internet I'm still amazed by the little rabbitholes of :spergin: that exist in the most unlikely places.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

webmeister posted:

:stare:
I really shouldn't be, but even after nearly 20 years on the internet I'm still amazed by the little rabbitholes of :spergin: that exist in the most unlikely places.

:spergin: on a car forum? Unlikely?

eeS.
Nov 8, 2005

STUPID AS HELL!!
Cracking episode of Top Gear tonight, I thought all of the car segments were absolutely brilliant!

And yes, who here doesn't love overhead switches! :swoon:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Holy lol, the news segment is one of the funniest they've done. Great episode!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

eeS. posted:

Cracking episode of Top Gear tonight, I thought all of the car segments were absolutely brilliant!

When we go to Mars, we have to take that Mercedes.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

I want that alfa, the disco volante. I will give up everything to have it. Also enjoyed the new outside camera angle that faces in from the windscreen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alighieri posted:

I want that alfa, the disco volante. I will give up everything to have it. Also enjoyed the new outside camera angle that faces in from the windscreen.

The top gear team has been watching /tuned and /bigmuscle.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Alighieri posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. That car is the sexiest thing I may have ever seen. I have listed after various cars over the years but that thing is on a other level entirely.

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?

eeS. posted:

And on that bombshell, good night everybody... in the world!

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
Superb episode, in that all three segments offered something great for the three presenters. Also a rare episode where Hammond was not cringe worthy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alighieri posted:

So loving gorgeous :swoon:

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So loving gorgeous :swoon:

I didn't like it. I think mainly because of the squared wheel wells. I think the stock 8c looks way better.

Didn't mythbusters prove that the tablecloth trick was faked? Still fun watching a GTR go 20 feet...

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fejsze posted:

I didn't like it. I think mainly because of the squared wheel wells. I think the stock 8c looks way better.

Didn't mythbusters prove that the tablecloth trick was faked? Still fun watching a GTR go 20 feet...

Agreed on the squared wheel wells.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 24, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Fejsze posted:

Yes. Turns out there was a huge sheet of plastic between the tablecloth and the dishes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They've really gone all-in with the drone shooting rigs. I'm not surprised: it must be infinitely less expensive and less restrictive than a helicopter. Theyve gotten some really neat shots with them so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Yeah, the wheel wells on the Alfa looked really strange. Wasn't a fan of it at all, especially considering the price.

Anyone that's used launch control on a GTR knows how insane it is to do it in that short of a space. That must have been rear end puckering.