Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dik-dik posted:

Do y'all know of anywhere other than Sweet Maria's to get Filtropa filters? I have nothing against SM, I just don't need to buy anything else from them right now and don't really want to pay for shipping on just filters. Have any of you had luck getting them at your local coffee shops?

You can sometimes get them on amazon. I've seen some shops carry them -- Temple in Sacramento, I think intellegensia in LA and one of the Seattle shops too.
That said, it is just easiest to order like 5 packages from sweet marias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I know the op recommends the sweet Maria's ccd but is something like the below going to be pretty much the same thing? We have a registry on amazon so I'd like to be able to add stuff they have on there.

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VDG-02R-Glass-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B002VUYYFY/ref=wr_it_dp_o_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2AMVJN4KMBV2J&coliid=I3EDTATDYC0DR

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Iron Lung posted:

I know the op recommends the sweet Maria's ccd but is something like the below going to be pretty much the same thing? We have a registry on amazon so I'd like to be able to add stuff they have on there.

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VDG-02R-Glass-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B002VUYYFY/ref=wr_it_dp_o_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2AMVJN4KMBV2J&coliid=I3EDTATDYC0DR

Not the same thing. That is a regular pourover cone.

Relevant amazon search

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Gotcha thanks! That's actually where I started but clicked a related product link. I'll add one of those top results instead! Now to pick a grinder...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Iron Lung posted:

Gotcha thanks! That's actually where I started but clicked a related product link. I'll add one of those top results instead! Now to pick a grinder...

Might as well order the CCD and like 5 boxes of filtropas from SM's, shipping is only like $8.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

dik-dik posted:

Do y'all know of anywhere other than Sweet Maria's to get Filtropa filters? I have nothing against SM, I just don't need to buy anything else from them right now and don't really want to pay for shipping on just filters. Have any of you had luck getting them at your local coffee shops?

Amazon stocks them, yet another reason to love amazon prime.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

o muerte posted:

Amazon stocks them, yet another reason to love amazon prime.

It looks like they don't have the white #4? Or have I just missed it?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm going down the rabbit hole.

Which heat gun do I want?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think the majority of us use the $20 Wagner (2000?) from home depot

I don't think Amazon has filtropas in stock. Just buy a bunch from Sweet Maria's and feel good about yourself for supporting an awesome small business!

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 23, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dik-dik posted:

It looks like they don't have the white #4? Or have I just missed it?

The browns taste the same, but I'd rather buy from sm. Except that time I ran out of filters and same day delivery saved my rear end.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."
Yo. Apparently I posted in this thread back in 2011, pretty hilarious...... ANYWAY. I have a Hario Mini Mill that I modded (terribly, I'm sure) and I just got one of those electric Bonavita temp-controlled kettles. The kettle is awesome by the way -- Massdrop did a drop of them and I ended up getting it $80 after shipping. I've had an Aeropress for a while but didn't use it much, due to the fact that I had to grind my coffee manually, heat up water in the microwave, brew it, and then rinse everything afterwards. It doesn't sound like a lot, and it's not, but when you have a Keurig right there to put a pod and some water into, it's much more tempting to use the Keurig. The Caribou Coffee Obsidian is actually half decent, by the way. It doesn't compare to fresh-roasted and well-brewed coffee of course, but it certainly tastes better than rear end.

I'm waiting for Baratza to update their refurb grinder page. I have the Page Monitor extension in Chrome checking every 5 minutes because I'm just needy like that. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a Virtuoso. I want to do mostly pour-over and MAYBE espresso at some point in the future. However, I spent a shitload of money recently (my entire tax return, actually) and I'm trying to be more frugal, which has been a laughable attempt at best considering my desired foray into good coffee. I'd get a refurb Vario if it was under 300, but something tells me that isn't going to happen. And even if it did, I'd be conflicted. I know, cry once, smile forever kinda thing... especially since I'm sure I will end up getting an espresso rig in the future.

QUESTIONS:
1. Should I get the refurb'd Virtuoso, provided it shows up soon, or the refurb'd Vario, if it's less than ~$300? Based upon knowing that I'll probably want to get serious about espresso within a year or two.
2. What pour-over should I get? I want something that's hard to mess up, like the CCD, but I don't want plastic. I found a ceramic Bonavita one, but some reviews say the plastic "stopper" or "switch" cracks/gives out within 6mo-1yr. And it's twice as expensive. Since I have the Bonavita gooseneck kettle, I can probably get the technique down without TOO much practice...
3. What filters for the pour-over? I've read/seen that the pointy-end filters are easier/better. Bleached or unbleached? I love Amazon Prime so I'd love to get the pour-over rig and the filters at the same time, but if I should really drive somewhere and get the filters due to a vast price difference, I'll see what I can do.

I signed myself up for a Craft Coffee subscription right before Christmas, and it gives me the opportunity to try new styles and roasts all the time. However, the freshest I've seem to have gotten it is ~2 weeks AFTER the roast date, which seems like a pretty large gap to me. If someone has a good place to order online (I can check local too) I'd love to get some recently-roasted stuff, but so far the Craft Coffee hasn't been half bad. I just haven't been drinking it quick enough because brewing it is a pain in the rear end for a lazy bum like myself. Plus in the mornings I'll typically just get coffee at work instead of at home. But if it was a quicker process at home with an electric grinder (and the kettle) with a quick cleanup, I think I'd make coffee at home.

Any thoughts are appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read.

mr. yolk fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 23, 2014

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wagner HT1000, $22 on Amazon. Or you can buy it locally at Home Depot for the same price, plus tax. You'll also want a wooden spoon. Walmart sells a four-pack for 88¢. I bought a dog bowl there as well, for about $4, and a colander for $3. I used a box to make a rapid cooling device, much like others have done. I broke the handles off the colander and used packing tape to seal the rest of the box, then cut a perfectly-sized hole to insert the hose from my shop vac. All air moving into the vacuum has to go through the beans in the colander. You'll also want a heavy leather glove to move the bowl (which will be suuuuuuuper hot), but presumably you've already got one of those. If not, they're a few bucks a pair at Walmart or Home Depot. That's pretty much all you need.

Roasting
    - Wagner HT1000 heat gun
    - Stainless steel dog bowl
    - Wooden spoon
    - Thick leather glove

Cooling
    - Cardboard box
    - Stainless steel colander (or aluminum, but it can't be plastic - hot beans will melt it)
    - Shop vac

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

mr. yolk posted:

QUESTIONS:
1. Should I get the refurb'd Virtuoso, provided it shows up soon, or the refurb'd Vario, if it's less than ~$300? Based upon knowing that I'll probably want to get serious about espresso within a year or two.
2. What pour-over should I get? I want something that's hard to mess up, like the CCD, but I don't want plastic. I found a ceramic Bonavita one, but some reviews say the plastic "stopper" or "switch" cracks/gives out within 6mo-1yr. And it's twice as expensive. Since I have the Bonavita gooseneck kettle, I can probably get the technique down without TOO much practice...
3. What filters for the pour-over? I've read/seen that the pointy-end filters are easier/better. Bleached or unbleached? I love Amazon Prime so I'd love to get the pour-over rig and the filters at the same time, but if I should really drive somewhere and get the filters due to a vast price difference, I'll see what I can do.

1. Keep an eye out for a refurb Preciso, that'll be in your budget I think. It's better than the Virtuoso, not as good as the Vario (for espresso). Seriously, if you're absolutely positive that your goal is espresso, save your money for a Vario.

2. Why don't you want plastic? The CCD is BPA free. I believe the the Hario V60 is the go-to pour over device around here.

3. I'll suggest Filtropas, although I don't have a V60 so I'm not sure how they work in that. All I know is that Filtropas are the least papery tasting filter I've ever used. Order them from Sweet Maria's.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

mr. yolk posted:

The refurbished Vario is $360; it's a much better espresso grinder than the Virtuoso or Virtuoso Preciso. Keep in mind using a grinder for both espresso and regular brewed coffee really, really sucks. It's at least "possible" with a grinder like the Vario, but if you frequently switch back and forth between brew methods, you'll either be wasting a lot of time and coffee dialing in shots, or more likely just drinking bad espresso. It's not a matter of simply flipping a dial back to the same mark, because the mechanism won't return to the exact setting you chose. That is a big problem for espresso.

The Virtuoso is a great grinder for everything except espresso, and possible better than the Vario with stock ceramic burrs for brewed coffee. If I were you, I would pick up a refurb (possibly with Preciso burrs) when they're available, and worry about your espresso grinder if and when you decide to get a machine.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

Google Butt posted:

1. Keep an eye out for a refurb Preciso, that'll be in your budget I think. It's better than the Virtuoso, not as good as the Vario (for espresso). Seriously, if you're absolutely positive that your goal is espresso, save your money for a Vario.

2. Why don't you want plastic? The CCD is BPA free. I believe the the Hario V60 is the go-to pour over device around here.

3. I'll suggest Filtropas, although I don't have a V60 so I'm not sure how they work in that. All I know is that Filtropas are the least papery tasting filter I've ever used. Order them from Sweet Maria's.

I mean, I can afford the Vario, I just don't want to be spending that kind of money on it right now. I don't want plastic because plastic cracks, and because irrational superstition about plastic. Is there a good glass/ceramic V60? I'm totally fine with perfecting my technique, as that doesn't require ANOTHER product.

Bob_McBob posted:

The refurbished Vario is $360; it's a much better espresso grinder than the Virtuoso or Virtuoso Preciso. Keep in mind using a grinder for both espresso and regular brewed coffee really, really sucks. It's at least "possible" with a grinder like the Vario, but if you frequently switch back and forth between brew methods, you'll either be wasting a lot of time and coffee dialing in shots, or more likely just drinking bad espresso. It's not a matter of simply flipping a dial back to the same mark, because the mechanism won't return to the exact setting you chose. That is a big problem for espresso.

The Virtuoso is a great grinder for everything except espresso, and possible better than the Vario with stock ceramic burrs for brewed coffee. If I were you, I would pick up a refurb (possibly with Preciso burrs) when they're available, and worry about your espresso grinder if and when you decide to get a machine.

I've read that even the Encore is "passable" for espresso, and that the Virtuoso with Preciso burrs is certainly passable. Given the opportunity to make decent espresso, I'd probably just make Americanos whenever I want a full cup. $360 is definitely in my upper range (of acceptability) but now that I know, I might just pull the trigger like an idiot and be done with it. I have the tendency to operate with the mantra of "do it right or don't do it at all". So yeah. I realize I probably sound like a douche right now but I'd rather get a really good grinder that will allow me to grind consistently for any type of coffee I want, rather than buy one for 2/3 the price that I will want to upgrade a year or two down the line.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I gave my 0.02c earlier in the thread about this, I splurged for a vario and found it wasn't that great for press and drip methods and I never got an espresso machine. I replaced the ceramic burrs with steel burrs and it's great for those methods now. I'd get a preciso or virtuoso, because it will always be good for drip/brew methods in the future. Then murder your wallet getting some beaut of an espresso machine and a dedicated espresso grinder.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 24, 2014

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

Hollis Brown posted:

I gave my 0.02c earlier in the thread about this, I splurged for a vario and found it wasn't that great for press and drip methods and I never got an espresso machine. I replaced the ceramic burrs with steel burrs and it's great for those methods now. I'd get a preciso or virtuoso, because it will always be good for drip/brew methods in the future. Then murder your wallet getting some beaut of an espresso machine and a dedicated espresso grinder.

Well that's a little disconcerting. I thought the Vario was a good all-around grinder... I don't make drip and I don't think I ever will. It'll either be pour-over, Aeropress, or espresso for me... aren't those all *relatively* fine grinds? I know my Aeropress works best with a fairly fine grind, about the size of table salt granules.

or at least i think it does.

mr. yolk fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 24, 2014

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Here is the thread that explained why I was having some much trouble with my vario: http://www.home-barista.com/brewing/baratzas-new-vario-burrs-for-non-espresso-brew-only-t21098.html

It can grind fine no problem, it's just that a result of the burrs is the generation of extremely small particles (fines) that clog up the CCD, and cause over extraction in french press. At least, that has been my experience which some others have shared on the web. There are others that seem to not complain.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

mr. yolk posted:

Well that's a little disconcerting. I thought the Vario was a good all-around grinder... I don't make drip and I don't think I ever will. It'll either be pour-over, Aeropress, or espresso for me... aren't those all *relatively* fine grinds? I know my Aeropress works best with a fairly fine grind, about the size of table salt granules.

or at least i think it does.

The Vario is good but not great for drip, and like someone else said, it's a pain to change settings from espresso to drip and back.

For pour over I would recommend the Kalita Wave over the V60. The V60 is cheaper, but in my experience it's easier to get better results on the Kalita.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

grahm posted:

The Vario is good but not great for drip, and like someone else said, it's a pain to change settings from espresso to drip and back.

For pour over I would recommend the Kalita Wave over the V60. The V60 is cheaper, but in my experience it's easier to get better results on the Kalita.

If you have the money, yes, go get a Kalita. It's beautiful, and like grahm said, it's easier to get consistent results.
Hario is much cheaper though.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

mr. yolk posted:

QUESTIONS:

I signed myself up for a Craft Coffee subscription right before Christmas, and it gives me the opportunity to try new styles and roasts all the time. However, the freshest I've seem to have gotten it is ~2 weeks AFTER the roast date, which seems like a pretty large gap to me. If someone has a good place to order online (I can check local too) I'd love to get some recently-roasted stuff, but so far the Craft Coffee hasn't been half bad. I just haven't been drinking it quick enough because brewing it is a pain in the rear end for a lazy bum like myself. Plus in the mornings I'll typically just get coffee at work instead of at home. But if it was a quicker process at home with an electric grinder (and the kettle) with a quick cleanup, I think I'd make coffee at home.

Any thoughts are appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read.

I have a Virtuoso with the upgraded burrs and I love it. It's relatively quiet, easy to switch grind size, and pretty drat consistent. I bought mine new because I couldn't afford the wait for a refurb but if you're not in a super hurry, I think they sell that model refurb for $169, which is a hell of a deal in my opinion.

I'm a really big fan of the $2.99 Melitta "Ready Set Joe" cone and a pack of #2 filters as a good way to get into single-cup pour-over on the cheap. Lately the Bee House has been my go-to. I'd say either of those are pretty great ways to get into pour-over, as making good coffee with them is pretty straightforward and the filters are readily available and inexpensive.

V60 is awesome too, but filters are a bit more expensive, probably not available locally (in case you run out/your shipment of new ones gets delayed), and you'll probably pitch several cups of coffee in the beginning as you learn how to brew with it. It's not hard, but it's not very forgiving either.

I have a Kalita Wave on order, which by itself doesn't say much because I can't seem to keep myself from buying every single loving manual brewer... but I've read excellent things about it, and if you don't mind spending the extra dollars on both the brewer and the filters, go for it.

If you're brewing 16oz at a time (or less), get a small Bee House, V60-01, or Wave 155. If you're doing more, consider the large Bee House, V60-02, or Wave 185. You want the tip to be as close to the grounds as possible, so if you're doing smaller batches in the larger cones, it's very difficult to keep from disturbing the grounds bed, which is essentially extra stirring, which means more extraction, which can take an otherwise perfectly executed pour and turn it into a cup of over-extracted cup of sink drain warmer. The Melitta $2.99 cone will do up to about 24oz but you'll need a bit larger of a grind size and a slow pour.

White filters. You'll never get the paper taste out of the brown ones. If you get a chance, I recommend you try the brown filters just to see for yourself. Just don't buy a case of them.

I have taken to roasting my own coffee but before that, I really enjoyed Intelligentsia. With a weather delay in there, I received my beans four days after roast, and they were loving amazing.

Edit - Sorry, I forgot that you don't want plastic. The Melitta $2.99 cone is plastic, so you probably want to avoid that. The Hario V60 is available in plastic, glass, or ceramic; the Bee House dripper is ceramic; both sizes of the Kalita Wave (155 and 185) are available in glass or stainless steel, and the larger version (185) is available in ceramic as well.

becoming fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 24, 2014

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Hollis Brown posted:

Sweet Maria's has started a podcast now, seems pretty good so far if anyone here is itnerested:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/weblog/sweet-marias-coffee-podcast-episode-1-coffee-buying-and-travel

Man, Tom is so :smith: that it makes me want to send positive feedback. I really did find it interesting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Made French Press for the hell of it. French Press owns. Cleanup sucks.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Made French Press for the hell of it. French Press owns. Cleanup sucks.

Huh? Scoop grounds into garbage (or compost!) with spoon, rinse spoon, rinse press of remaining grounds. (Yeah I guess if you're going to use soap or whatever then it might get a little more involved)

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

dedian posted:

Huh? Scoop grounds into garbage (or compost!) with spoon, rinse spoon, rinse press of remaining grounds. (Yeah I guess if you're going to use soap or whatever then it might get a little more involved)

You really should be taking the filter assembly apart to ensure all the grounds are out. Even so, I do agree with you that it's not a huge deal. But in comparison to anything with a filter ("toss filter, rinse"), it sucks. It's a good thing pressed coffee tastes so goddamn excellent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah using a paper filter is much faster. Cleaning the metal screen and scrubbing everything on a press pot is annoying.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah using a paper filter is much faster. Cleaning the metal screen and scrubbing everything on a press pot is annoying.

I only actually scrub mine every few months. I usually just loosen the bottom screw enough to where the filter and the metal frame separate a bit so I can be sure all the grounds washed out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My Sweet Maria's order showed up yesterday! UPS said it was on the truck for Saturday delivery but they lied...assholes. Super excited to try roasting for the first time; gonna do it Friday afternoon after my roommate goes up to the mountains for the weekend to ski so I don't accidentally smoke up the place while he's around. I've got a Whirley Pop popcorn maker; any tips before I give it a shot?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 26, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

My Sweet Maria's order showed up yesterday! UPS said it was on the truck for delivery but they lied...assholes. Super excited to try roasting for the first time; gonna do it Friday afternoon after my roommate goes up to the mountains for the weekend to ski so I don't accidentally smoke up the place while he's around. I've got a Whirley Pop popcorn maker; any tips before I give it a shot?

Roast small batches until you figure out how to tell when a roast is progressing through the different stages, sorry I can't chime in with whirly-pop specifics I've only ever used a Behmor or heat-gun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't stop turning the crank. Once things get going it only takes a few seconds of stopped stirring to scorch the beans touching the bottom of the pan.

Open all your windows, disable smoke detectors, and turn on exhaust fans before you start.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 26, 2014

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
And remember to re-enable the smoke detectors :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or do it outside with a camp stove. This also keeps the chaff out of your kitchen.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

o muerte posted:

Roast small batches until you figure out how to tell when a roast is progressing through the different stages, sorry I can't chime in with whirly-pop specifics I've only ever used a Behmor or heat-gun.

No worries at all, and yeah I was planning to only roast 4-6 oz for my first go-round. I'd really rather not torch an entire pound of quality coffee while I'm still learning.

withak posted:

Don't stop turning the crank. Once things get going it only takes a few seconds of stopped stirring to scorch the beans touching the bottom of the pan.

Open all your windows, disable smoke detectors, and turn on exhaust fans before you start.

Good to know, thanks! I'll definitely be attentive since it seems this process goes by pretty quickly (8-12 minutes max?) depending on the roast.

dedian posted:

And remember to re-enable the smoke detectors :)

Ha, yeah that would be a very bad thing to forget. Speaking of smoke, I smoked up our entire apartment a few months ago by adding (way too much) pepper to a steak prior to cooking it on a cast iron pan; are we talking about that much smoke, or less/more?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch people do it on Youtube.

That's how I started doing it with an air popper and it saved a lot of time and potential mess.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

It would probably be a good idea to time and log when first crack starts and how far in you stop. Then you can adjust your roast time depending on taste and what you're looking for.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ha, yeah that would be a very bad thing to forget. Speaking of smoke, I smoked up our entire apartment a few months ago by adding (way too much) pepper to a steak prior to cooking it on a cast iron pan; are we talking about that much smoke, or less/more?

Depends on the bean, and how far into the roast you go. When I do a C+, I normally get just a little smoke. I roast in the garage though, so I don't really have to deal with the after effects :D I can definitely smell the roast on my clothes and hair for the rest of the day - not in an unpleasant way though.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Bonavita Gooseneck Variable Kettle for $64.99 on Seattle Coffee Gear. This is the best price I think I have ever seen. YOU HAVE TO LOGIN TO SEE THIS DEAL.

Saeco Poemia Espresso Machine for $69.00 as well.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/on-sale/deals

Edit: If you go over $75 in your cart, you can get another $5 off as well.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

MrEnigma posted:

Bonavita Gooseneck Variable Kettle for $64.99 on Seattle Coffee Gear. This is the best price I think I have ever seen. YOU HAVE TO LOGIN TO SEE THIS DEAL.

Saeco Poemia Espresso Machine for $69.00 as well.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/on-sale/deals

Edit: If you go over $75 in your cart, you can get another $5 off as well.

drat, that's a STEAL. Almost wanna buy one for work.......... must...... resist.............

Baratza threw the refurbs up on their site today and I snagged a Virtuoso w/ Preciso burrs. Looks like they're all gone already........ wow. Now to buy a pourover rig.

Is that Saeco worth getting? I mean it's only $70.....

Edit: gently caress it. bought another kettle, 2 kalita waves, and the saeco. gently caress IT.

mr. yolk fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 28, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mr. yolk posted:

drat, that's a STEAL. Almost wanna buy one for work.......... must...... resist.............

Baratza threw the refurbs up on their site today and I snagged a Virtuoso w/ Preciso burrs. Looks like they're all gone already........ wow. Now to buy a pourover rig.

Is that Saeco worth getting? I mean it's only $70.....

Edit: gently caress it. bought another kettle, 2 kalita waves, and the saeco. gently caress IT.

Baratza updates their refurb site every Thursday.

e: Has anyone tried that goon roasting company/duo in SA-Mart? I don't really follow this thread closely anymore but I don't recognize the OP's name here.

e2: Also has anyone ever used the Esatto add-on? It sounds amazing if I'm reading it right. Being able to just dump all my beans into the hopper and then set it to grind 16.5 g and just turning it on without having to measure it, if I understand it right. MSRP is steep but I've seen it pop up on their refurb section a few times. Couple it with that Bonavita temperature control kettle and making coffee is stupidly even easier.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice

MrEnigma posted:

Bought. After buying a glass kettle that takes at least 20 min to boil water in the mornings, this will be so nice.