Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

RoboJoe posted:

This is a rather stupid question and but I'm wondering about something.

Anyone in the UK here who bought Lightning Returns, can you look at the back of game box and at the barcode in the bottom right, and see if it says "NOT FOR SALE IN THE UK" just above the barcode. It doesn't really mean much but I'd appreciate you checking it out all the same for me.

I'm not in the UK but I ordered mine from Amazon UK, no such restriction.

I didn't play 13-1 or 13-2, I just picked this up on a whim and I don't know what is happening or why things are happening or how but there's something in the game that makes me want to see this crazy train to its destination. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My brother and I have uploaded an Elixir Outerworld message at Luxerion South Station, so if you're looking for one of those go check that area out.

Keep running around the station, and run up to Ranulph and back if it doesn't appear. My character is same as this, my brother's is Boulala.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Systematic System posted:

Come back later: The Wildlands boss is definitely the hardest in the game till Day 7 (good news though, while all the other bosses get stronger on Day 7, the Wildlands one doesn't!).
Based on this, am I better off pursuing Dead Dunes first over The Wildlands? I'm about to start day 4 with the main quests for Luxerion and Yusnaan behind me and it seems like the game implies that The Wildlands would be the next place to go. I feel like I'm barely getting by as it is so I sure as hell don't need to make the game more difficult on myself by progressing to the wrong area too early.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
What's the best set up for the final boss of the Ultimate Lair? I've been able to get him to about 50% but then I run out of ATB to keep myself dealing enough damage to stagger him and also to defend from his attacks.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just tested this on the Ark fighting a boss do I really need to spoil this: Noel: No HP scaling at all. Damage was the same when I was at 100% hp, 50% hp and 10% hp. Scales from the MAG stat not STR stat. Deprotect increases the damage done, not Deshell.

I took another look, and it turns out I was reading about different but similarly named spells to what you were talking about. My bad.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I switched my main Physical attacking Schema to Soldier of Peace. Artemis' Arrows. :swoon:

Was pretty trivial to genocide the Gurangatch and Desert Sahagins with that.

Killed all the Cactuars as well. :( That's actually the only one I properly feel bad about so far. Never expected to end up with three spawning at once, but one of the battles ended up like that.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

McDragon posted:

Well, I switched my main Physical attacking Schema to Soldier of Peace. Artemis' Arrows. :swoon:

Was pretty trivial to genocide the Gurangatch and Desert Sahagins with that.

Killed all the Cactuars as well. :( That's actually the only one I properly feel bad about so far. Never expected to end up with three spawning at once, but one of the battles ended up like that.

They just wanted to dance you monster! :smith:

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

J-Spot posted:

Based on this, am I better off pursuing Dead Dunes first over The Wildlands? I'm about to start day 4 with the main quests for Luxerion and Yusnaan behind me and it seems like the game implies that The Wildlands would be the next place to go. I feel like I'm barely getting by as it is so I sure as hell don't need to make the game more difficult on myself by progressing to the wrong area too early.

The Dead Dunes has stronger enemies (well one specific enemy: Earth Eater), but a much easier boss than The Wildlands. Also the last dungeon in the Wildlands has a gimmick which can be rough if you're unprepared (Your health drains constantly while in the dungeon). I personally did all the stuff in the Dunes and the Wildlands before-hand, and then did both bosses on Day 6.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

The_Final_Stand posted:

Given that the alternative is extincting Earth Eaters (gently caress those guys and their "no I don't care that you're blocking, you are taking all the damage and debuffs" attitude), and I have a whole day ahead of me to burn, what sort of setup would be recommended? I'm on Normal, have the XIII and XIII-2 imports and the FFVII DLC from a pre-order.

Small tip for anyone that hates fighting earth eaters: Use Evade. Once you evade any portion of the breath attack, you don't get hit by the rest of the attack and you will never get debuffed. Evade partially refunds the ATB cost on a successful evasion, and you get to beat up on the Earth Eater while he's puking everywhere. It's a win-win.

Also if you have the Battleaxe of the Believer from the area where the Luxerion boss is in or any of the Brave Thief accessories (from the omega Shrodinger, Triffid, or Desert Sahagin), you can swipe his haste and bravery buffs. And if you equip 4 status ailments, you can push his veil off during a stagger, leaving him permanently open to debuffs again (you only need 3 if you can double stagger him).

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

They just wanted to dance you monster! :smith:

I know! :negative:

Still, the pink one was cute. I killed him too. I am a monster. A rich monster at least, those dudes have a ton of cash.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Cactaurs were the first species I genocided, give daddy those gils :henget:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ShadeofDante posted:

What's the best set up for the final boss of the Ultimate Lair? I've been able to get him to about 50% but then I run out of ATB to keep myself dealing enough damage to stagger him and also to defend from his attacks.

Was coming here to post this exact same thing. I got him down to the point where he re-shielded himself, but just totally ran out of steam.

I only have 1 Ether for the fight, not sure if I can do it. If anyone has any good strats/setups for him that'd be awesome.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think the monster spawn rate in Jagd forest may be just a BIT too high. I genocided two of the three species that spawn there on the first day I visited just by exploring, and probably would've killed off the last species if I didn't start actively avoiding them. Still, I was OK with Dryads being my first extinction. gently caress those guys.

So I'm pretty much ready to finish the Dead Dunes main quest, but I don't want to give up Fang. Guess I better start genociding those Earth Eaters while the genociding is good.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

mikeraskol posted:

Was coming here to post this exact same thing. I got him down to the point where he re-shielded himself, but just totally ran out of steam.

I only have 1 Ether for the fight, not sure if I can do it. If anyone has any good strats/setups for him that'd be awesome.

I copied what some guy on youtube did. The main tips were use poison and slow, set up your 3 schemas so all 3 have a -ara nuke and once he is all staggered, he spammed thundaga while keeping poison up while overclocking. He did it with 2 ethers or a remedy but I was able to kill the jerk with 1 ether.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Anyone know if using the hybrid element spells like Icespark and Flamestorm are the same as/worse than just taking Fire/Blizzard/Etc? My main mage schema is the Witching Hour and i'm just rolling hybrid spells on two slots and imperil/ruinga on the other. I just tried Aeronite and boy was my imperil then nuke strategy not working at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Anyone know if using the hybrid element spells like Icespark and Flamestorm are the same as/worse than just taking Fire/Blizzard/Etc? My main mage schema is the Witching Hour and i'm just rolling hybrid spells on two slots and imperil/ruinga on the other. I just tried Aeronite and boy was my imperil then nuke strategy not working at all.

Well, their combo chain is a little shorter so you get to the finisher faster, and you can set up a 4 element + imperil/deshell setup more easily, but I think the price you pay is net damage is a tad lower (don't recall the ratios off the top of my head). I generally just go for the element+ garb that is appropriate for the region I'm in since almost everything already has a weakness in the first place, somewhat reducing the value of imperil.

On a side note, anyone have any particularly interesting/odd setups they like? Debuffer quiet guardian/paladin with a magic schema and a physical schema (helter skelter because it's overpowered as hell, if rather unfortunately named) is certainly effective, but gets a bit boring.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I guess they're useful in the sense that you can cover all four elements with only two ability slots, but I think they're less effective in damage vs. ATB cost than single element spells, especially if the enemy is only weak in one element.

chumbler posted:

Well, their combo chain is a little shorter so you get to the finisher faster, and you can set up a 4 element + imperil/deshell setup more easily, but I think the price you pay is net damage is a tad lower (don't recall the ratios off the top of my head). I generally just go for the element+ garb that is appropriate for the region I'm in since almost everything already has a weakness in the first place, somewhat reducing the value of imperil.

On a side note, anyone have any particularly interesting/odd setups they like? Debuffer quiet guardian/paladin with a magic schema and a physical schema (helter skelter because it's overpowered as hell, if rather unfortunately named) is certainly effective, but gets a bit boring.

I've been sticking with physical/magical/defense&debuff because it's really effective, but I switch up which garbs I use for those slots pretty regularly, especially if I'm only fighting randoms. I think it'd throw off my performance if I really started messing with the roles I have in different slots.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I was skimming strategy/analysis portions of the guide again and happened to find out how lucky I apparently was to randomly stumble upon the rare merchant dude without any foreknowledge of him or his spawn/movement patterns on the first day he was available. This was a super cool thing to happen, too, because I really love abusing Jump with that Shadow Trooper garb.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I got carried away and now all of the monsters are dead, apart from old faithful Anubys.

Killed the Gorgonopsids first, then it was off to get revenge on the Dryads. While I was doing that I finished the Rafflessias. Then I thought why stop there so I killed the Apes and Protoflorians, and it seemed odd to leave one species alive in the Wildlands so I got the Triffids too.

Messing around in Yusnaan later, killed the Schrodingers and the Hoplites, realised there was only Skatanes and Earth Eaters left, so a jaunt round Snow's gardens finished the birds. Was going to leave the Eaters for the Ultimate Dungeon, but then I found an awesome tactic for beating them really fast so off they went.

Then the Ultimate Dungeon. Very empty place. Killed the Meonekton, poisoned the Ereshkigal to death, and I was so jazzed up I decided to give the Aeronite another go and he's dead too. The new world will be built on a mountain of monster corpses.

Just the final dungeon jerks next I guess. Almost finished all the Prayer quests as well, but 30 Flanitors are a bitch to find later on in the game, so that one's going on the backlog.

Oh, and recently I've managed to bump into the Rare Forge guy like four times in two game days. I'm guessing he's going to be trickier to find on Hard when he's actually got new stuff. And I'll probably be broke when I do find him. :v:

McDragon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 24, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

McDragon posted:

Just the final dungeon jerks next I guess. Almost finished all the Prayer quests as well, but 30 Flanitors are a bitch to find later on in the game, so that one's going on the backlog.

Apparently Flanitors spawn in the courtyard in front of the Patron's palace from 06:00-16:00.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Nyeehg posted:

I have a UK regular retail copy and there's no sign of that on the box. Two follow up questions:

1.) Is the message printed on the box art or is it a sticker?

2.) Did you order your copy from Grainger games? They often stock foreign releases of ps3 and DS games as those consoles are region free and their games often release in overseas territories before they hit the UK (e.g. Catherine and The Metal Gear Legacy Collection).

I don't know if european copies (Spain, France etc) have this message. i suppose there is a very slim chance you have a copy of the US release and/or the Asian English release. Don't suppose you have a picture of your copies box art do you? This sort of thing is an interest of mine.

Apologies for the late reply.

1) It's printed on the box itself just above the barcode.

2) It wasn't grainger games, but it was from Zavvi.

The game art is identical to this: http://www.game.co.uk/en/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-186488
Although minus the little provisional in the bottom left on that picture.

The game itself works perfectly fine (I think I forgot to mention I had the PS3 version), I was just curious about this because I have an ongoing argument with Zavvi support about their poor handling of the release of this game and an assortment of other games from the same week and the week after that other people had issue with (I won't bore anyone with the details, I'm just being all spergy about it) and it being marked as not for sale in the UK probably helps explain some things.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RoboJoe posted:

Apologies for the late reply.

1) It's printed on the box itself just above the barcode.

2) It wasn't grainger games, but it was from Zavvi.

The game art is identical to this: http://www.game.co.uk/en/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-186488
Although minus the little provisional in the bottom left on that picture.

The game itself works perfectly fine (I think I forgot to mention I had the PS3 version), I was just curious about this because I have an ongoing argument with Zavvi support about their poor handling of the release of this game and an assortment of other games from the same week and the week after that other people had issue with (I won't bore anyone with the details, I'm just being all spergy about it) and it being marked as not for sale in the UK probably helps explain some things.

Well it's definatly a PAL release so any DLC you get from the European/UK PSN should be compatible. Still not sure why that is printed over the barcode though (probably a European copy).

Since I've had trouble with them before, I'm guessing the other issues with Zavvi are along the lines of missing DLC and/or not shipping on time.

Switching gears, I'm doing new game plus at the moment and it's amaizing how much chronostasis breaks everything. Managed to get 4 story quests done by the end of day 2. Thank god for the inns.

I'm having trouble finding an Elixr though. Is the only way to get that to sell 100 soul seeds? Not looking forward to that grind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nyeehg posted:

I'm having trouble finding an Elixr though. Is the only way to get that to sell 100 soul seeds? Not looking forward to that grind.

You can also get it from Outerworld people but that's a crapshoot.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Beat Ereshkigal.

Got Ultima.

Everything I could use it on is extinct.

:(

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I've got an actual game question this time: How do I not suck?

I read the OP but I can't really find the help I need there (unless I'm just dumb, sorry).

To clarify this, I'm on the second day, it's gone midnight and I'm off trying to get the Shadow Hunter. I went into the Graveyard and some winged flying demon things are doing something like half my life bar in a single attack. I was doing okay against most enemies up until this point, the ones in the starting city and few in other locations I poked around a little like the Wildlands and Yusnaan (even the guys in the city there were quite difficult), but then these flying things turn up. I ran away from the flying demons because I reloaded as I couldn't kill them (and I also ran away from some huge monster things in the same area) and progressed to the next part of this quest line.

Now I'm fighting some robed dudes in the next part and these guys are being killed fine, but I get the Shadow Hunter and he UTTERLY destroys me so I don't even know what to do anymore.

Expanded questions:
As it's gone midnight on the second day I can't really go anywhere else, as I have to finish this quest on this night, or have I misunderstood?

What are some schemata I should be using at this point?

Can I buy new abilities for my schemata or only wait for them to drop and use the sorcery place to make them better?

I find it difficult to see and know when to block attacks, is there a good kind of tell for when you actually block? I know some attacks have their name displayed but it seems it could be multiple seconds before it hits and I'm standing there blocking doing very little.

Sorry for these simple questions, but I read through the thread trying to find advice but it seems most of the talk is about more endgame things and I'm trying to avoid reading the spoilers, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at the start :shobon: I realise I could restart the game on Easy mode but I don't really want to do that, I feel I'm just missing some fundamental things rather than needing to go to a lower difficulty. (Maybe I do actually suck at this game and should restart.)

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If you go to the Wildlands, there's an outfitter close to the station who sells some garbs that come with upgraded versions of the basic elemental attacks. They're all reasonably cheap and for this stage in the game, fairly powerful. Invest in at least one or two of them (definitely get the one with Aero, wind seems to be harder to find than the others) and start using it.

As for blocking attacks, most of the enemies seem to have a good windup before striking. I'd love it if the game had some sort of warning for when to block (even if it's just a ! like in Vagrant Story), but sadly it's really just a case of learning to anticipate them or holding down block to minimise the damage.

For what it's worth, I'd consider playing on Easy: it feels like the game was balanced with regenerating HP post-battle, and for my money, it plays slightly better that way.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Fedule posted:

Beat Ereshkigal.

Got Ultima.

Good news is that Ultima is loving garbage and not worth using at all.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Fedule posted:

Beat Ereshkigal.

Got Ultima.

It's not very good anyway - I tried it once and never used it again. The problem is the damage you do is inversely proportionate to the amount of HP you have left, so unless you're constantly keeping yourself at low HP, it doesn't do nearly as much damage as other things you have.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005

RoboJoe posted:

As it's gone midnight on the second day I can't really go anywhere else, as I have to finish this quest on this night, or have I misunderstood?

What are some schemata I should be using at this point?

Can I buy new abilities for my schemata or only wait for them to drop and use the sorcery place to make them better?

I find it difficult to see and know when to block attacks, is there a good kind of tell for when you actually block? I know some attacks have their name displayed but it seems it could be multiple seconds before it hits and I'm standing there blocking doing very little.

You don't have to finish it on the same night. It's impossible to fail any of the main quests, unless you just wait until time runs out. If you're ever having trouble just go somewhere else and/or do side quests.

See the OP for the general outline of schema setups to use. Some good garbs for early on are the magic ones at Canopus Farms as mentioned, Quiet Guardian near the coliseum in Yusnaan for defense, Passion Rouge in the Dead Dunes for debuffs, Velvet Bouncer in Yusnaan or Vengeance in Jagd village for physical attacks. You also get a solid early magic garb from progressing to a certain point in the Yusnaan main quest.

Abilities only drop from enemies.

For defending you really just have to learn the timing from experience. The most powerful attacks are all named and have a long windup, so you'll get it eventually.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Does the +100% status effect damage effectively double the HP drain of Poison?
I'm just wondering if it's worth taking to Ereshkigal to make the fight quicker.

Not because I think I'm pressed for time, just for the sake of it.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Great, thanks for the help chaps, that should help me out a good bit. Although maybe I will restart on Easy mode just so I can get a better feel for it all.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Apparently Flanitors spawn in the courtyard in front of the Patron's palace from 06:00-16:00.

Good to know, thanks. Will have to wait until next playthrough now, but I'll keep that in mind.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha, the Bahkti sidequest in the Dead Dunes got real dark real fast. I love it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Haha, the Bahkti sidequest in the Dead Dunes got real dark real fast. I love it.

I liked how Fang called Hope out on his bullshit emotionless response.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Fang in general is great. It's a shame she has such a limited role in the game though, like Sazh.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The side quests in general have really been what stands out in the story for me, though some of the main quests are good (Snow's). Many of them deal with some aspect of how people don't age but can still die, and how much their perception of time has been warped. They're a little inconsistent in many cases, like whether or not the children still develop emotionally, or in one case time stopping just didn't affect one person and how most make no mention of the impending end of the world (maybe only the Order people know about it?), but on the whole I think they're pretty well written for a FF game and clearly were not the work of Toriyama. There are a lot of really dark ones like the one you mention and the one that gives the dark knight garb. Armand's is a bit of a gut punch, too.

One thing that's worth doing when there's time is just reading through the various quest and completion notes in the log. None of it is particularly new or revelatory if you paid attention to the events in the side quest, but they flesh out Lightning a bit more. Also the canvas quests all have completion text and some of the are pretty good.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 24, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

The side quests in general have really been what stands out in the story for me. Many of them deal with some aspect of how people don't age but can still die, and how much their perception of time has been warped. They're a little inconsistent in many cases, like whether or not the children still develop emotionally, or in one case time stopping just didn't affect one person and how most make no mention of the impending end of the world (maybe only the Order people know about it?), but on the whole I think they're pretty well written for a FF game and clearly were not the work of Toriyama. There are a lot of really dark ones like the one you mention and the one that gives the dark knight garb.

Ya the sidequests have been pretty neat in general. Though the concept of no one aging is pretty cool too. The main plot is still kinda bad. God I was cringing so hard during the final Yunaan main quest cutscenes.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm just starting Day 6, and I really don't have much at all to do at this point. I have a few Canvas of Prayers quests I could work on, along with 2-3 sidequests, but the main quests are all wrapped up. Does anyone have advice on good things to take care of before blitzing to the end of this first playthrough?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ya the sidequests have been pretty neat in general. Though the concept of no one aging is pretty cool too. The main plot is still kinda bad. God I was cringing so hard during the final Yunaan main quest cutscenes.

Yusnaan was my favorite. :( Wildlands was kinda bleh once I reached the temple. CHAOS CHAOS YEUL. Still, I enjoyed Caius being Caius, and the Yeul that fell in love with Noel showing up at the end was a nice knife twist after doing Luxerion. Best part of Wild lands though was definitely Chocodin and the return of Crazy Chocobo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Something I just remembered I liked about the fight with Ereshkigal. Where his Meteor attacks get bigger and bigger suffixes as he starts adding extra meteors. Just a nice silly little thing about the attack that's gonna kill you.

My favourite area has to be the Dead Dunes. I just love sliding all round the place. Dead Dunes and Chocobo together would have been brilliant.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm just starting Day 6, and I really don't have much at all to do at this point. I have a few Canvas of Prayers quests I could work on, along with 2-3 sidequests, but the main quests are all wrapped up. Does anyone have advice on good things to take care of before blitzing to the end of this first playthrough?

As much as you can be bothered with, I guess. Probably as many of the side/prayer quests you can manage, more stats is always helpful, and extra adornments are great. Perhaps beat up a few Last Ones as well. That gets you quite a bit of money as well, always nice. Perhaps beat up all the Cactuars because they give lots of money too and you can only fight 30 in a playthrough. I went a bit mad and did basically everything I could think of, and there's still like six hours left on the bonus day for me.

Oh, the opening the Highways Prayer quests, if you do those the shops get more things to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

McDragon posted:

Something I just remembered I liked about the fight with Ereshkigal. Where his Meteor attacks get bigger and bigger suffixes as he starts adding extra meteors. Just a nice silly little thing about the attack that's gonna kill you.

Is there actually a way to not die to that? I always just wrote it off as "welp, time to burn another Phoenix Down". Can you perfect guard it or something?

• Locked thread