Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Haha, that was fast. Threads of disloyalty are disappearing. I love when these rectangles are funnier than bitcoin.

Veyrall posted:

You folks are over-thinking it. He's just posting about his experience, and probably going out to play ball later. Unless he's directly stated that Magic is literally his only career or something? I haven't watched his stream in a while, so my knowledge may be outdated, but last I heard he was coaching or something and making money that way.

I don't pay attention to TWoo at all aside from the funny stories I read in this thread but when I see twitch superstars flail around I'm doing the reasonable thing and assuming it's all for attention. It would only be funnier if I learned he was into Crossfit because it would make so much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

What a Judas posted:

It's Lich, the most flavorful card in the game.

He was referring to your terribly altered Force of Wills.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

"The card just won me a Pro Tour. *heeh heeh*"

MrBling posted:

He was referring to your terribly altered Force of Wills.

No need to be a dick, dick.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So we can expect Threads of Disloyalty to spike again, right?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Sampatrick posted:

Threads of Disloyalty has got to be the all star of McLaren's deck, especially for the pro tour so far.
Well, yeah, how many relevant Modern creatures have CMC higher than 2?

Also, is there video of any of the Blue Moon matchups?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
How odd it must be to be on the verge of tears describing yourself as physically ill during your $20,000 runner-up award ceremony.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

How odd it must be to be on the verge of tears describing yourself as physically ill during your $20,000 runner-up award ceremony.

I feel really sorry for Wilson; he got flooded incredibly badly in Game 5 which must suck a bunch.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

Spike a 1 of card! Good going Modern speculators.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

They're already sold out in a lot of places. A dozen on ebay but the leftovers on tcg are already higher than 25bux. Foils are almost all gone. There's still a couple here. However, do note that you probably only need a couple so I can't imagine it goes that high. I'm still surprised it even got up to 25bux. They were $12 the entire time I've been using them in Modern for the past couple years.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zemyla posted:

Well, yeah, how many relevant Modern creatures have CMC higher than 2?

Also, is there video of any of the Blue Moon matchups?
They put Tien and one of the other Bleu Moon guys on cam several times. Should all be up on youtube.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

What a Judas posted:

No need to be a dick, dick.

Someone drew Maritime Guards on a pair of Force of Wills, and didn't even do a particularly good job at it. If you can find someone to pay you a lot of money for them then more power to you.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Is Threads of Loyalty even a better or worse card now than people already knew it was before the PT (i.e. did some surprise new creature come out of the woodwork for it to target) or is any spike just a pavlovian reaction to seeing it on camera as the card that happened to be the last relevant play in the pro tour?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

MrBling posted:

Someone drew Maritime Guards on a pair of Force of Wills, and didn't even do a particularly good job at it. If you can find someone to pay you a lot of money for them then more power to you.

Whoever did the alter is no Klug, but it's a fine alter. It's also a neat looking alter. I'm sorry you don't like my cards, MrBling. :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Is Threads of Loyalty even a better or worse card now than people already knew it was before the PT (i.e. did some surprise new creature come out of the woodwork for it to target) or is any spike just a pavlovian reaction to seeing it on camera as the card that happened to be the last relevant play in the pro tour?

I imagine the latter. It's been an off and on standard sideboard card for as long as Old Glory control's been a deck.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

JerryLee posted:

The latter, but it should have been big though all of Modern. It steals all sorts of poo poo, up to and including Goyf (and DRS back when it was legal).

Also, the prices are high because practically no one opened BOK.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Is there any reason you would want threads vs shackles if you plan to go long? Shackles seems more resilient and flexible, at the cost of costing a little bit more mana to use properly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zemyla posted:

The latter, but it should have been big though all of Modern. It steals all sorts of poo poo, up to and including Goyf (and DRS back when it was legal).

Also, the prices are high because practically no one opened BOK.

I'm really surprised it wasn't a pick for MMA.

There would probably still have been more BOK opened, but at least it wouldn't have been for lack of wanting to. :v:

I'm assuming Threads is a lock for the hypothetical maybe-future MM2.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

JerryLee posted:

I'm really surprised it wasn't a pick for MMA.

There would probably still have been more BOK opened, but at least it wouldn't have been for lack of wanting to. :v:

I'm assuming Threads is a lock for the hypothetical maybe-future MM2.
I hope they take a lot of cards from this Pro Tour and GP results throughout the year for MM2. Just a shame we have to wait till next year unless something funky happens.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Korak posted:

Is there any reason you would want threads vs shackles if you plan to go long? Shackles seems more resilient and flexible, at the cost of costing a little bit more mana to use properly.

The deck plays Master of Waves and it ups their Devotion by 2

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Tharizdun posted:

The deck plays Master of Waves and it ups their Devotion by 2
Not Bleu Moon, I meant UWR.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Korak posted:

Not Bleu Moon, I meant UWR.

Until Wear/Tear becomes the default artifact choice (and even after that for a lot of decks), there's a lot more residual artifact hate going around than there is Enchantment hate.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Korak posted:

Two of the cards that you'd like to threads of disloyalty - tarmogoyf and scavenging ooze - can get a pretty sizable power and UWR only runs 6 islands. In the finals McLaren wouldn't have been able to take Jacob's scavenging ooze if he had shackles instead of threads.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Balon posted:

For the first time in weeks playing my Purphoros Commander deck I was able to have a Thropter Assembly out during my upkeep for a potential 10 damage to all opponents.

Only to learn that Thropter Assembly is bugged in MTGO.

Yeah same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. It's lame. I had a Chancellor of the Forge coming down after.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If I activate a genju and attack, and the genju enchantment gets naturalized or what ever, is the land still a dude until end of turn?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Just saw the hilariously rad Fathom Mage, Sunbond, Horizon Chimera combo on MTGO.

Fathon Mage was a 30/30 the next turn and he had 26 cards in hand, drops an Elixir like "nbd I got this", ugh, so funny.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Molybdenum posted:

If I activate a genju and attack, and the genju enchantment gets naturalized or what ever, is the land still a dude until end of turn?

Yes.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Loving Life Partner posted:

Just saw the hilariously rad Fathom Mage, Sunbond, Horizon Chimera combo on MTGO.

Fathon Mage was a 30/30 the next turn and he had 26 cards in hand, drops an Elixir like "nbd I got this", ugh, so funny.

Add Archangel of Thune and Sphinx's Revelation for more overkill fun.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What a Judas posted:

It's Lich, the most flavorful card in the game.

Has anyone at Wizards ever acknowledged cards like this and Form of the Dragon? It seems like they'd be really popular with casuals, and frankly, they're so cool I'm shocked they don't get printed more often.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Boxman posted:

Has anyone at Wizards ever acknowledged cards like this and Form of the Dragon? It seems like they'd be really popular with casuals, and frankly, they're so cool I'm shocked they don't get printed more often.

What do you mean by acknowledged? They've talked about them as examples of good top-down design. There have been other Lich cards playing off the same ideas, including at least one as recent as Alara block. Anything in particular you're looking for?

I agree, it'd be cool to have more "literally turns your game wizard self into a monster" things.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

JerryLee posted:

What do you mean by acknowledged? They've talked about them as examples of good top-down design. There have been other Lich cards playing off the same ideas, including at least one as recent as Alara block. Anything in particular you're looking for?

I agree, it'd be cool to have more "literally turns your game wizard self into a monster" things.

Hearthstone did a great goddamn job with the concept, though it's only been implemented once so far. Warlocks can summon Jaraxxus and he'll promptly murder your hero character and replace him, complete with new dialogue, new stats, a new power, etc.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

JerryLee posted:

Form of the Hydra GGGG6 Enchantment
When Form of the Hydra comes into play, shuffle up to 2 decks you own from outside of the game. Those decks gain 10 life. You may play those decks in addition to your own on your turn. Whenever one of those decks have 0 or less life, lose half your life rounded down and that deck is removed from the game. If Form of the Hydra leaves play, those decks life totals become 0.

Or something.

Obviously a templating nightmare and also not something they'd ever make, but I'd play it!
Hire me Wizards!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

My own take on Form of the Hydra would be something like--

When ~ comes into play, put [some number] head counters on it.
If you would be dealt damage, instead remove one head counter from ~. If you can't, sacrifice it.
When you sacrifice ~, you lose the game.

Maybe include a mechanic to grow new heads depending on how good you want to make the card.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Come on guys, Form of the Hydra has to have X in the casting cost.

Form of the Hydra, XGG, Enchantment,
~ enters the battlefield with X head counters.
If you would lose life, instead remove a head counter from ~.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put two head counters on ~ for each head counter removed during the previous turn.
If ~ has zero counters on it, you lose the game.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

oryx posted:

At the beginning of your upkeep, put two head counters on ~ for each head counter removed during the previous turn.

Owned by Vampire Hexmage.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

oryx posted:

This made me realize that I miss Fungusaur.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

oryx posted:

My original idea was GGGGXXX and you get X decks, but that seemed even more ridiculous. So I guess I balanced a fake card that will never get made.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

I agree, it'd be cool to have more "literally turns your game wizard self into a monster" things that are playable.

Fixed that for you. I had a friend in high school who tried to make Nefarious Lich work for a couple weeks, but other than that I don't think I've seen a "Lich" card or something like Form of the Dragon see much play. Was I just not looking hard enough?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Fixed that for you. I had a friend in high school who tried to make Nefarious Lich work for a couple weeks, but other than that I don't think I've seen a "Lich" card or something like Form of the Dragon see much play. Was I just not looking hard enough?

There's a Modern deck that runs Form of the Dragon. It's awesomely fun, if not super competitive.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Form of the Dragon was the kill condition in the deck that used that spell from Champions block that lets you get an enchantment from your deck every turn for the rest of the game (but doesn't let you cast any other spells). I think that was an extended deck.

I feel like it was also used as a sideboard card while it was in standard, but I'm not sure about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

"Bad Form" was a thing in Onslaught block and some Standards for a while after. It's also one particular wincon/toolbox piece in Enduring Ideal.

What really hurt Form of the Dragon was burn spells becoming more efficient and common (where before they had to triple-Shock you, now they have to double-Bolt you, and now even the control decks and combo decks play mad burn spells). It was never Tier 1 in the first place, so yeah.

Also Nefarious Lich was at least part of an awesome, if tier 3 or so combo deck.

• Locked thread