Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Every. Single. Goddamned time I drive :siren:my fiancee's:siren: Explorer, I stupidly hold the brake pedal down like a clutch pedal when starting it.

I do this with the parking brake on my CR-V half the time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

rcman50166 posted:

Someone say Saturn? I daily a 2003 Saturn L200 with 152,000mi on the clock. Let's list the poo poo that's broke:

brake booster
windshield wiper transmission
rear brakes
speed sensor
front suspension
drive train
front suspension again
one of those holy poo poo handles in the back
the driver seat
headliner
sunroof rails
air conditioner compressor
front suspension again

the only reason i tolerate it is because my parents insist on fixing it

See saturn USED to be built inhouse by Saturn and gently caress what GM thought about it. They USED to be just a simple basic little car that got you around without much stuff going wrong because, there wasnt much stuff to go wrong. What you have there my friend, is just an Opel Vectra, and lets be honest, its terrible.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
My parents also own the Relay and used to own an SL1. They realized Saturns were terrible a few years after they bought the Relay in 2007, but it was too late. Saturn ate poo poo in 2010.

Let's list poo poo wrong with that with only 60,000 mi on it:

-both doors out of alignment and jam
-abs/tcs system hosed up
-rear plastic paneling ripped off when the door caught it
-rear gate has a terrible seal and leaks what when it rains
-doesn't start occasionally for god know what reason
-sometimes starts then stalls
-key fobs dont work anymore
-internal compass keeps falling off calibration
-OEM tires screeched like a parking garage car chase all the time
-alternator can't regulate voltage, you can see the dash lights and head lights flickering all the time

Consumer Reports estimated the Saturn Relay to require 92 repairs to be done within the lifetime of the vehicle. 92

The SL1 wasn't that bad though :unsmith:

You can safely bet anyone who owns a Saturn will not make the best life decisions.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 23, 2014

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I always hold the brake down when starting. I was taught that way, "in case the car jumped into gear," and never really stopped doing it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Most automatics that I've driven won't start unless the brake pedal is held down. :confused:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Counter intuitively, if you use the remote start with my parents' Forester, pressing the brake pedal before putting the key in and turning it to "ON" shuts the engine off. I do that every single time I remote start their car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

QuarkMartial posted:

I always hold the brake down when starting. I was taught that way, "in case the car jumped into gear," and never really stopped doing it.

Same here, I always put the car in neutral and push in the clutch when starting.

My reasoning is that it saves the starter from having to spin the gearbox in neutral, as well as preventing any sort of lurching forwards into the car in front.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006
My 2014 fusion 6-spd requires the clutch and brake be applied when starting. Even in neutral with the parking brake on.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

Same here, I always put the car in neutral and push in the clutch when starting.

My reasoning is that it saves the starter from having to spin the gearbox in neutral

Wait what? This has never occurred to me as being a thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tide posted:

Wait what? This has never occurred to me as being a thing.

It's probably completely irrelevant unless it's really loving cold out and/or your starter or battery is marginal.

An old crusty mechanic told me to do it years ago and it just became a habit.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

It's probably completely irrelevant unless it's really loving cold out and/or your starter or battery is marginal.

I had a similar experience except with a master tech at a Mitsubishi speed shop showing me how to baby the fragile synchros in my Evo transmission. He was the one who taught me that if you want to go faster, don't try to make it up with shifting, because you'll only break things. Instead, add power, within reason.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Das Volk posted:

I had a similar experience except with a master tech at a Mitsubishi speed shop showing me how to baby the fragile synchros in my Evo transmission. He was the one who taught me that if you want to go faster, don't try to make it up with shifting, because you'll only break things. Instead, add power, within reason.

There's some sort of cosmic justice about a Mitsubishi tech talking about transmission weakness. :downsrim:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

My reasoning is that it saves the starter from having to spin the gearbox in neutral, as well as preventing any sort of lurching forwards into the car in front.

I consider that good advice in case the clutch sensor is before the point where the clutch dis-engages.

exempt posted:

My 2014 fusion 6-spd requires the clutch and brake be applied when starting. Even in neutral with the parking brake on.

I think a lot of people hate parking brakes, I had a conversation with my co-worker who vehemently argued that parking brakes should never be used unless you are parked on a hill. I work with people who have significantly below average IQ. . . Similarly, on my Firebird with a manual the parking brake did not work, I probably could (and should) have fixed it, but instead I chose to simply always leave the car in gear thus leading to me having to apply clutch and brakes to start the car when on a hill. It felt quite weird since the brake booster didn't work until the motor was running so the pedal would go from firm to soft almost instantly, I don't think this ever lead to the car rolling unintentionally but it could have. For the record, I am now a fan of parking brakes and use them whenever in possible including when in vehicles with automatic transmissions, I don't want to trust the weight of my vehicle on a parking pawl.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

It felt quite weird since the brake booster didn't work until the motor was running so the pedal would go from firm to soft almost instantly,

Not that it helps you now, but that means your vacuum check valve was probably bad. You should be able to pump the brakes 3-4 times on most things (when off) before you lose booster assist if all is working properly. This is important when the RPMs are up and you aren't making much vacuum or if the engine stalls.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

Not that it helps you now, but that means your vacuum check valve was probably bad. You should be able to pump the brakes 3-4 times on most things (when off) before you lose booster assist if all is working properly. This is important when the RPMs are up and you aren't making much vacuum or if the engine stalls.

Car is long gone, but I was able to pump the brakes a couple times before the pedal would become firm. Never knew what caused that behavior or what it meant until now. :) But I guess I can now only assume the brakes were functioning properly, I did still notice a change in the pedal after starting the motor.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

KozmoNaut posted:

They teach you to do it when you learn to drive in the UK in case you're a cretin and have left the car in gear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

They teach you to do it when you learn to drive in the UK in case you're a cretin and have left the car in gear.

I'm pretty sure even the best driver in the world has turned the key at least once with the car in gear. :colbert:

(if not, I guess that makes me a cretin)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I trust the engine to hold the car just as much as I trust the parking brake, and I sure do like having more than one thing keeping it from rolling downhill. Why not leave it in gear? Is this some can of worms I've never heard of?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ratbert90 posted:

Most automatics that I've driven won't start unless the brake pedal is held down. :confused:

I have never heard of such a thing :911:. There's a potential that in my rental cars/test drives that I've been in that it was habitual for me to do it.

KozmoNaut posted:

I do the same thing - however it's mostly because I have to sit and warm up at least for a little bit before starting or it will stall. It really makes a difference when it's cold though. Sometimes I can get it going and let the clutch out and it starts to stall. Of course, any modern stick I've driven required the clutch in anyway, and I'm never ready to go into gear immediately.

People you share the road with: Hey, Coloradans visiting the mountains, just chill on the drive back to the city. Don't speed in the right lane and kick up gravel so you can catch up to the semi and cut off people in my lane to get ahead. We're avoiding that lane for a reason, it's full of gravel, and all that's ahead is a goddamn tractor-trailer, kicking up gravel. And don't change lanes in a tunnel, just drive forward for two minutes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

I trust the engine to hold the car just as much as I trust the parking brake, and I sure do like having more than one thing keeping it from rolling downhill. Why not leave it in gear? Is this some can of worms I've never heard of?

You probably shouldn't. A properly working parking brake is much better than most engines at holding a vehicle.

Also......what kind of old rear end poo poo doesn't have a clutch safety switch (requiring you to old the clutch in to start it)? I mean...yeah...I disable that poo poo so I can drag myself around on the starter when my pile of crap inevitably dies on me and I need to get it off the road......but most things I've driven have them from the factory.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Raluek posted:

The optometrist I worked for at my old office had an beat up as poo poo BMW 318i that had so little compression that when she forgot to put the parking brake on (instead just left it in first gear) it would slowly chuff-chuff-chuff down the inclined parking lot.

It also says a lot that you can turn an engine over by hand with an 18-inch breaker bar and socket. Don't trust the engine to keep the car from moving on a hill.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

It also says a lot that you can turn an engine over by hand with an 18-inch breaker bar and socket. Don't trust the engine to keep the car from moving on a hill.
You can hand crank an acvw engine with a 21 mm wrench. :haw:

That's why you unplug the battery or pop the distributor cap before loving with the belt.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
You can turn rotary engines over by hand with the alternator pulley :haw:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Motronic posted:

Also......what kind of old rear end poo poo doesn't have a clutch safety switch (requiring you to old the clutch in to start it)?

Seems like its a USA thing - its definitely not common elsewhere.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

You probably shouldn't. A properly working parking brake is much better than most engines at holding a vehicle.

Also......what kind of old rear end poo poo doesn't have a clutch safety switch (requiring you to old the clutch in to start it)? I mean...yeah...I disable that poo poo so I can drag myself around on the starter when my pile of crap inevitably dies on me and I need to get it off the road......but most things I've driven have them from the factory.

The kind of old-rear end poo poo that was built in 1959, in my case. Plus first gear is 6.40:1. It creeps sometimes in second, but in first? poo poo no.

Still, I don't like only having one thing keeping the thing from rolling, so I use both. Just in case one methods fails. I usually leave the weight on the parking brake, but either one will hold it fine.

I guess I'm a cretin. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dissss posted:

Sounds like some nanny poo poo that "we" would require when no one else does.

Raluek posted:

The kind of old-rear end poo poo that was built in 1959, in my case.

Well, OK then. My oldest with a clutch interlock was a '69 (or was it a '74? I think the Beetle had that....if not the '74 F250 most definitely did). You win.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Clutch safety thing seems like a decent thing to have. I know I have forgotten to take it out of gear when parking and then I take my foot off the brakeclutch and it lurches forward. :doh: Not a lot of times, but more than zero.
Edit: I mean I take my foot off the clutch before I turn off the engine. My brain is broken.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 24, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've owned two 1988 Honda Accords (one LXi sedan, one DX coupe, both 5 speed); neither had clutch interlocks. The LXi had a switch on the clutch pedal, but it was to turn off the cruise control. Accords didn't get a clutch interlock until the 1990 model year. I may have used the starter to move my LXi across a parking lot a few times after the timing belt broke (to keep the apartment complex from towing it) :haw:

I think the Civic got them starting in 88 (if not, they definitely had them for 92+). Integra had them starting in the 1990 model year.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

My '89 F-150 requires the clutch to be depressed in order to start. This only helps so much. Once when I was 16 started it to let it warm up before going to school. When I got out it took off and ran into my mom's Blazer before stalling. I left it in first gear as well as setting the parking brake but I didn't take it out of gear after starting it. The high cold idle was more than enough power to keep it from stalling and over-power the parking brake. Ever since I've left it in second.

Of course a couple years later the something broke in the steering column so the key would no longer work to turn it over. The only way to fix it is replace the steering column. Or do what I did an rig up a button to the starter solenoid so it will turn over whenever it's pressed.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My 1987 Mazda 323 does not have a clutch switch, 1988 323 does.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

dissss posted:

yeah my 4 year old 207 doesn't have it, but the Fiesta I learned to drive on did. and yes I to have a been a jackass and started while it was in gear. (UK)

Englishman alone fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 24, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CharlesM posted:

Clutch safety thing seems like a decent thing to have. I know I have forgotten to take it out of gear when parking and then I take my foot off the brakeclutch and it lurches forward. :doh: Not a lot of times, but more than zero.
Edit: I mean I take my foot off the clutch before I turn off the engine. My brain is broken.

I do this more often than I'd care to admit. I'll park, apply the parking brake, and then when I'm loving with my phone or grabbing my wallet or whatever I'll forget I haven't turned the car off already, foot comes off clutch, car lurches and engine dies. It's really embarrassing. Luckily the parking brake is always set so I don't actually go anywhere.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Man, gently caress people that think it's ok to go through a drive through with a crew cab dually towing a 20ft trailer. Double gently caress them if they watch you get in your car, put it in reverse, and only then do they pull in front of you so you are stuck in your parking space until the 4 cars in front of them move. Holy gently caress I want to stab him until I can't lift my arms.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't know why I'm a part of this Facebook group (aside from owning a Prelude of course), because poo poo like this is common.

These are the people who don't want to pay attention to the road that you share the road with.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I would say to tell him the only way to fix his problem is to cram his head up his rear end in a top hat, but it's probably already there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I learned that if you put your phone on the dash with netflix going you can see the reflection in the windsheild. Tell him that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

I learned that if you put your phone on the dash with netflix going you can see the reflection in the windsheild. Tell him that.

Is there an app that will reverse the image because if so whoa

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Is there an app that will reverse the image because if so whoa

Pirated movies on youtube are usually mirrored.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I love it when I'm the passenger / co-pilot and some brainless ICE system wants to lock me out of working the GPS or other features because the car is moving. There's more than one seat that can reach this thing, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I haven't noticed that. I know that the licensed audio detection they used for a long time converted everything to mono, so people would invert the phase of one of the channels and not get detected because the channels would combine into nothing.