Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bagu
Mar 20, 2006

Man, all this ratting talk makes me wish my 60 million Talos ticks. If the last four anomaly needs hadn't happened, I'd be pulling 250 million an hour in a Vindi right now.

Bagu fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I lost a Jaguar recently and I got SRP on it and was pretty much able to rebuy it instantly :smug:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

eriktown posted:

I thought Laz got Destiny to join AMOK.?

He did, led a couple fleets, and then decided to buy some ridiculous 90m SP character and start his own independent corp. Why does this sound familiar...

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Leo Showers posted:

I lost a Jaguar recently and I got SRP on it and was pretty much able to rebuy it instantly :smug:

I can't wait until I'm at this point skill wise. My dream is to get paid to blow up t2 frigs for the rest of my eve career.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Other people on this thread posted:

Good advice.

Lowkin posted:

Whinge, whinge, cry.

Jesus christ dude, you made me actually post in this thread with your whiny bitch attitude. Just take 100m ISK, buy 20 frigates of your choice, find a couple of T1 fits, fit 10 each, head to FW systems, get your mummy to give you back your balls and go lose those frigates. Make sure you lose at least one every day you play. For 100m, you'll get at least a few kills (there are heaps of T1 fit people in FW), learn a lot and most importantly, you might stop being a finger-nail-chewing-on-the-sideline-waiting-for-the-right-time baby.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The combination of your forum name and post made me laugh way harder than it should have.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
Do corps ever have someone in them that will buy your inventory for cost -X% or is there too much variance in what the EvE engine projects the cost to be and the market.

Unimpressed posted:

Jesus christ dude, you made me actually post in this thread with your whiny bitch attitude. Just take 100m ISK, buy 20 frigates of your choice, find a couple of T1 fits, fit 10 each, head to FW systems, get your mummy to give you back your balls and go lose those frigates. Make sure you lose at least one every day you play. For 100m, you'll get at least a few kills (there are heaps of T1 fit people in FW), learn a lot and most importantly, you might stop being a finger-nail-chewing-on-the-sideline-waiting-for-the-right-time baby.

I don't care about ISK. I guess I portrayed it as I don't want to PvP cause I might lose ISK?
I don't want to PvP because I don't want to loving lose, I don't enjoy playing sports against people that are 3 divisions above me and have them just spread my rear end cheeks and go to town.

I do understand I am going to lose and blow up a million times but I like close fights. Where I can go I got hosed here because I loving blew it, not I got hosed here because he overheated his t2 guns and used nanites and cap boosters.

Also I am not a goonWaffe.

Lowkin fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 24, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

eriktown posted:

I thought Laz got Destiny to join AMOK.?

He did. Destiny got given an 80M SP character by one of his fanboys, and he ended up leaving Amok to start his own corp in Syndicate, like a lovely version of Brave Newbies. All the Syndicate locals have promptly started dunking on them 23/7.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Lowkin posted:

I don't want to PvP because I don't want to loving lose

:psyduck:

You're playing the wrong game.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007

Reminalt posted:

:psyduck:

You're playing the wrong game.

I am terrible at explaining myself it seems. You guys keep quoting me and ignoring the context.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Let the carebear stick in highsec and maybe one day when he's ground out enough isk to officer fit his whatever who gives a gently caress ship he'll get ganked and come back to cry about how it's unfair. Otherwise just ignore him :shrug:

I will give you a small hint though carebear risk adverse guy: There's no such thing as a fair fight.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Lowkin posted:

I'm watching destinies stream and this is what I fear going to null-sec before I even have t2 guns on frigates. Their corp or whatever seems in tatters because they have gotten poo poo on every single fight. They just wiped 30 ruptures and I have seen them wipe pretty much every fleet before that. Sure losing a ship is okay but constantly losing drags on everyone and you start to not have fun. I don't want to be on even keel with everyone I just don't want to be pissing ships down the drain and getting frustrated with the game cause I keep losing.

None of them seem to be able to make any ISK either they are relying on destinies plex ISK from subs.

You are reading and posting in a thread about the most newbie-empowering alliance in the game where you have been given the best advice you'll ever get for maximizing the enjoyment of your time playing Eve, from many people who have years of successful pvp experience and who started with less money and skillpoints than you have now.

You have somehow managed to ignore all of this advice and base your ideas about nullsec on watching a dumb Eve newbie who is coached by incompetent highsec-bound pubbies FC poorly-fitted T1 cruiser fleets while streaming his fleet's comms, composition, and general location/direction.
:psypop:

Lowkin posted:

I understand that if I joined an actual corp they wouldn't be as terrible as these guys

Actually, most corps you'll be able to join will probably be at least that incompetent, if not far more so. Your chances of getting into a non-SA nullsec alliance without already having significant nullsec pvp experience (read: 'green' killboard) are somewhere around zero. If you're 'lucky', you'll stumble into a corp that's renting terrible space from one of the big coalitions, where you'll make less money than you would in CFC space while continuing to learn nothing about pvp and very little about basic nullsec survival.

If you're not going to join Goonwaffe or Groon like everyone has told you to, at least stop whine-posting about your terrible highsec pubbie experiences in this thread.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Lowkin posted:

I don't want to PvP because I don't want to loving lose, I don't enjoy playing sports against people that are 3 divisions above me and have them just spread my rear end cheeks and go to town.

Sorry, honey. You win some, you lose some.

Here's a non-Goon perspective. I do a lot of PvP, enough that CCP has put some of my Fraps on their Facebook wall. I have the record for most ships lost in Rote's history, by a gigantic margin, and I've only been there for three years.

Sometimes you have a narrow win or loss where tiny changes in tactics or fitting would have made a difference.
Sometimes you get to fight 6 vs 1, take down 2-3 of them, but ultimately lose your ship, and call it fun and a win (despite having lost your ship).
Sometimes, you will get dunked, and there's nothing you can do about it.

And unless you get that experience of losing ships, learning what you did wrong, and improving next time... you will never get better.

A large part of Eve PvP is learning to not take losses personally. Losses are just a tool to teach yourself how to be even better.

Lowkin posted:

gently caress it I'm going back in my hole, I rub everyone the wrong way.

This is probably a good idea.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
Why does no one read my post's I am not in Goon Waffe I am not eligible, Yes GoonWaffe sounds like a sanctuary for someone like me.

I was told not to join Groon as a holding corp as they frown on that, I am a loving Lone Idiot in High-sec skilling up right now.

but at the pace I'm at I will never be invited to be a goon

xxCrackersxx
Dec 15, 2012

Lowkin posted:

Do corps ever have someone in them that will buy your inventory for cost -X% or is there too much variance in what the EvE engine projects the cost to be and the market.

Some corps do, especially mining corps and wormhole corps.

*Edit*

Be warned some of those corps rip their members off something shocking.

xxCrackersxx fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 24, 2014

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lowkin posted:

I am terrible at explaining myself it seems. You guys keep quoting me and ignoring the context.

We get that you don't want to lose. We are telling you that this is inevitable, and something that can be enjoyable.

If Groon and Goonwaffe don't do it for you for some reason, then maybe Brave Newbies would be a better fit. They can help you have fun even when losing.

A lot of people in this thread are trying to help you (and plenty like to poke too). In just about all cases, we are trying to break you out of a mindset that we know leads to disappointment and early burnout.

But do as you will. Good luck.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Lowkin posted:

I was told not to join Groon as a holding corp

So don't? Join to learn the game, get free ships, and have people to fly with. Eve is a social game. Unless you have a killer instinct (and you most certainly do not), it will take you ten times as long to learn the ropes alone as it will in a newbie-supportive group.

Lowkin posted:

I don't want to PvP because I don't want to loving lose

As everyone continues to explain, you will lose occasionally. When you're flying with a group, you won't be losing because your skills weren't perfect, or the other guy had better equipment, you'll be losing because it's how the fight went, or because you or your FC made a mistake.

You do not have the personality type for solo pvp. You won't ever find it satisfying, because solo pvp is all about losing. Even the best, most well-known solo pvpers lose way, way more than they win. Find a good nullsec corp/alliance, such as the one that uses this thread for recruitment.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Lowkin posted:

Why does no one read my post's I am not in Goon Waffe I am not eligible, Yes GoonWaffe sounds like a sanctuary for someone like me.

I was told not to join Groon as a holding corp as they frown on that, I am a loving Lone Idiot in High-sec skilling up right now.

We're reading you just fine. You want to win and you're going to be upset when you lose because for some reason you think T2 everything makes you invincible. Take our advice, go out and lose ships and find joy in the heart-pounding experience that comes with the white-knuckle terror that is getting caught in a gatecamp.

Also GoonWaffe's requirements for joining are literally spelled out in the OP. If you can read and follow direction you'll be accepted. But you're right about one thing: If you keep ignoring everything we've told you, you won't be accepted into the corp.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You could run level 5 missions and make literally six or seven times the isk/hour. The only highly-skilled pilot it takes is the carrier guy.

Or just anomaly rat in an Ishtar instead of risking a 1.5-2b isk ship for 10m/tick more.

1.5 to 2.0 bn for a ratting carrier is pretty overpriced. If you're not dumb, you're not going to lose either ship. And if you're dumb, no amount of picking the right ship will keep you from dying to single inties.

Also, there's no way you're getting 750m/hour running those missions. At best you're doing 300m, and that's running in a ship that costs more than the carrier.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
I don't mind losing I understand I am going to get beat 90%

I just want the fight's to be close or feel like I might have actually won if I didn't gently caress up.

I've read the OP and the recruitment officers have already let me know what the deal is.

Lowkin fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 24, 2014

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Also GoonWaffe's requirements for joining are literally spelled out in the OP. If you can read and follow direction you'll be accepted. But you're right about one thing: If you keep ignoring everything we've told you, you won't be accepted into the corp.

He can't. He might have a 2007 account and 80+ posts, but he posted literally 3 times before he got rejected from goonwaffe and started posting constantly in this thread about how awful hisec is and how he doesn't want to lose at pvp.

My advice is you stop posting in this thread for a while, post elsewhere, join brave newbies and lose a bunch of ships with them, and in 2 months when you've figured out how to not be a whiny bitch reapply to goonwaffe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CainFortea posted:

Also, there's no way you're getting 750m/hour running those missions. At best you're doing 300m, and that's running in a ship that costs more than the carrier.

You can make a bil/hour rejecting everything but the missions that can be blitzed in a carrier. You make 80-100k LP per mission, unload LP for at least 1000 isk/per if you're patient, and the missions you select for can be run in about five minutes on average. In the long term it ends up being a little lower once you factor in time spent fussing with the agents and occasionally running storyline missions so your faction standings don't decay, but yes, it is better than 750m/hour.

Carrier ratting in anomalies is a mug's game, deal with it. :smugdog:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lowkin posted:

I just want the fight's to be close or feel like I might have actually won if I didn't gently caress up.

I've read the OP and the recruitment officers have already let me know what the deal is.

You'll never GET a close fight if you just sit in highsec and talk about how you're going to train your skills to be better at PvP. There's very few times you'll get a "close" fight in Eve, as most of the time it ends up being one dude ganking another. If you don't learn that now and figure out what you can and cannot engage, how to properly fight, and whatnot, you'll just end up learning that later, except you've wasted so much time cutting your wrists in highsec that the losses discourage you further and you just go back.

Literally everything you've posted is the mantra of highsec "I'll PVP when I'm ready" carebears. Get your head out of the sand and go lose some cheap frigates.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

DisgracelandUSA posted:

He did, led a couple fleets, and then decided to buy some ridiculous 90m SP character and start his own independent corp. Why does this sound familiar...

For someone wanting to play eve, that's a terrible idea, but destiny is in the business of selling a video stream. By buying a 90mil SP character, he now has the ability to change ships and do something totally different whenever his audience starts to get bored. It's a pretty sensible business move, even if it'll result in him losing expensive ships.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Lowkin posted:

So go play Dota2 or WoW battlegrounds or one of the tons of games that is designed and balanced around always providing a statistically fair fight with a 50/50 W:L ratio. It sounds like you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of PVP in EVE. I've played this game for like 2 weeks and I already know that it's more about intel and timing than it is minmaxing your shitfit or whatever your plan is.

Like everyone else has said, if you are waiting for ~the perfect moment~ or ~the perfect fight~ you will be waiting forever. Just join a corp and go on some roams or ops. You'll blow people up or get blown up or some combination of both.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014

Lowkin posted:

Look at these:

https://zkillboard.com/detail/36888777/
https://zkillboard.com/detail/36889197/

These were done by a corp mate who decided that he'd take a poo poo ship he had fitted up, head in to the NPC Fountain pocket knowing fore well that he was likely going to lose his ship and in doing so caused 61 mil in damage for his 12 mil loss. Just fyi, this is a 17 year old kid who neither whines or moans, he just gets on with it. The point is, you will win some and you will lose some. In my case for example I lose a lot, I don't really care, between SRF and having a good time I feel as if I've won anyway.

You can of course continue to remain in high sec and be like those guys who pontificate about the game and never experience real EVE if that is your choice. Me? I only visit highsec to buy skillbooks or gank and have no regrets about making the jump to null in particular going to Fountain. I love it there.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Lowkin posted:

Faction or T2 modules won't change that. All Vs in every support skill won't change that. Bigger, 'better' ships won't change that. The only thing that will change that is more knowledge and more experience. As I've already tried to explain, some of that can come from EFT-warrioring, some from reading or research, but the vast majority of it has to be real pvp experience, win or lose, and a good alliance makes all three much easier.

Lowkin posted:

So join Groon. They won't bite.

If you didn't enjoy your time in Goonwaffe fleets the last time you played the game, that probably won't have changed, and there isn't a lot you'll get in the CFC that Groon can't also offer you.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lowkin posted:

"Don't join groon as a holding corp" means exactly that. That doesn't mean you shouldn't join groon, learn about the basics of nullsec and PVP while flying around in nullsec and find out if thats what you want to do or if you want to get into the major sov fleet fights.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Lowkin posted:

I don't care about ISK. I guess I portrayed it as I don't want to PvP cause I might lose ISK?

Allow me to take your sports metaphor here and extend it a bit to explain why everyone here is frustrated with you. What you are doing is deciding that before you start even practising football, you're going to get as swole as you can. No on here disagrees with the fact that having advanced skills in eve helps give you an edge, but fundamentally experience and practise is what sets good pvpers apart from bad (though obviously inherent talent also plays a role). By avoiding doing any PVP before you feel "ready", all you are doing is depriving yourself of potential experience when nobody at all will expect you to be successful. Hell, sometimes you might have even win, and that's just embarrassing for your opponents who have spent far more isk and time than you.

Ultimately there is never going to be such a thing as an even fight anyways: even if two pilots had identical skills and fits, there are dozens of factors that play into how a PvP encounter will go. This is why we are all so strongly advocating against what you're doing: it won't change the fact that fundamentally, most fights aren't fair. Having t2 guns and mods just makes the loss mail more expensive.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can make a bil/hour rejecting everything but the missions that can be blitzed in a carrier. You make 80-100k LP per mission, unload LP for at least 1000 isk/per if you're patient, and the missions you select for can be run in about five minutes on average. In the long term it ends up being a little lower once you factor in time spent fussing with the agents and occasionally running storyline missions so your faction standings don't decay, but yes, it is better than 750m/hour.

Carrier ratting in anomalies is a mug's game, deal with it. :smugdog:

You apparently have the same wrist watches that highsec pubbies do. They'll spend 2 hours setting up for a thing that takes 1 hour and earns one bil, and that's somehow 1bil/hour.

You're also ignoring the hidden cost that running missions has on your soul.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CainFortea posted:

You apparently have the same wrist watches that highsec pubbies do. They'll spend 2 hours setting up for a thing that takes 1 hour and earns one bil, and that's somehow 1bil/hour.

Dude, just stop. Do some research before you get all sour grapes on me.

CainFortea posted:

You're also ignoring the hidden cost that running missions has on your soul.

This is a bit more on point, but it's less "ignoring" and more "reveling in having already paid it and got to the easy part."

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007

Booley posted:

He can't. He might have a 2007 account and 80+ posts, but he posted literally 3 times before he got rejected from goonwaffe and started posting constantly in this thread about how awful hisec is and how he doesn't want to lose at pvp.

My advice is you stop posting in this thread for a while, post elsewhere, join brave newbies and lose a bunch of ships with them, and in 2 months when you've figured out how to not be a whiny bitch reapply to goonwaffe.

I was asking genuine questions about Eve that I literally couldn't find anything of relevance on the internet. This thread was my best avenue for fielding these questions and I thought no one minded.

But yea I'll take your advice, I'll stop posting and skill up and get strong enough to join a fleet.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

CainFortea posted:

Hi, let me tell you about my warp speed rigged L5 mission running carriers I use to make 1.3 bil+ an hour. Tell me why this isn't possible, I'm dying to hear it.

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 24, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lowkin posted:

But yea I'll take your advice, I'll stop posting and skill up and get strong enough to join a fleet.

I am not sure if I interpret you correctly, but I think that you do not need to have Jove Titan V to join fleets. Just play. :)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

objectively bad posted:

Hi, let me tell you about my warp speed rigged L5 mission running carriers I use to make 1.3 bil+ an hour. Tell me why this isn't possible, I'm dying to hear it.

They're both warp speed rigged and have nanofibers! :eng101:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

This reminds me of Red Alliance titans ratting on belts in agility fittings. :ussr:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Well how else are you supposed to warp out of the belt quickly when random neuts come through system? :colbert:

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Kheldragar posted:

Actually the lows just now are 4x istab, 2x warded backup arrays and a damage control. I'm switching out the backup arrays for nanofibers once the t2 warp speed rigs I ordered are ready because the rigs are currently 1x low friction nozzle joint, 2x hyperspatial velocity optimizer. While I can use lows to get faster aligning carriers, the only way to make them warp faster is the rig slots (and implants, which I have). I'm pretty excited about flying a 4.4au/s thanatos :sun:

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 24, 2014

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Lowkin posted:

I was asking genuine questions about Eve that I literally couldn't find anything of relevance on the internet. This thread was my best avenue for fielding these questions and I thought no one minded.

Are you reading anyone's actual responses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xlr82xs
Sep 9, 2008

Lowkin posted:

Can you get into a frigate ?
Congratulations, you are strong enough to fly in a CFC or BNI fleet.

• Locked thread