Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

caberham posted:

Air Asia is not Ryanair. They really don't give a gently caress about bag limits and carry on.

I brought a 12kg photo back pack and a big rear end tripod whenever I go to south east Asia.

I also hauled a box of durians on board. Really, don't worry about weight limits. It's fine

Really? I saw them charge a couple families ahead of me extra rupees for having too much luggage (forcing one guy to leave the secure area, change money, and then come back) when I flew out of Colombo, so I assumed they were hard core about it. Maybe it was the number of suit cases, though, and not the weight of them. Or maybe it's checked luggage they care about? Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
My bag was like 12-13kg and I took dozens of flights with 7kg restrictions, including AirAsia. They only checked the weight one time (Virgin Australia, of all people) and that was just because I got a checkin lady who was clearly having a bad day. As long as your bag doesn't look big and heavy (and you don't draw attention to it by struggling to lift it or something), almost nobody's even going to remember they're supposed to check - if your backpack is smaller than your torso, you're always going to read as "traveling light" to someone used to putting tags on duffel bags all day. Really the only exceptions are Ryanair and Easyjet, and that's because they deal with backpackers way way more often (and because they penalize staff if they fail to weigh all the bags).

Generally speaking though if you just smile a lot, act friendly but clueless, and aren't too far over whatever arbitrary limits they set, people will almost always let you get away with that sort of thing even if they catch you. It's pretty much the foundation travel skill.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

duralict posted:

Generally speaking though if you just smile a lot, act friendly but clueless...

This. This is the best travel advice (aside from carrying wetwipes).

Acting like a nice friendly dumbass has gotten me out of official bullshit, border problems, visa issues, bribes and having wrong documentation than anything else.

It's like having giant boobs in your personality.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

Outrail posted:

This. This is the best travel advice (aside from carrying wetwipes).

Acting like a nice friendly dumbass has gotten me out of official bullshit, border problems, visa issues, bribes and having wrong documentation than anything else.

It's like having giant boobs in your personality.

Haha, yeah, most of my travelling through Africa used that technique with border officials and police. Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping to start going carry-on only once I hit Vietnam (and hopefully get that Porter 46: the hip belt on my Kestrel makes it look too bulky to bring on the plane).

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there a camping/backpacking thread in these forums? The thread mentioned in the OP is in archives right now which I don't have.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Spikes32 posted:

Is there a camping/backpacking thread in these forums? The thread mentioned in the OP is in archives right now which I don't have.

Here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks, I would not have thought to look in that subforum.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Been meaning to put something about Outlier pants in the OP for a while but whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEUOvi4PBlA

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm going hiking in Machu Picchu (20 to 30F at night) in June and I'm trying to figure out my sleeping bag situation. I've got a Kelty Celestial 55
Degree Sleeping Bag since I'm living in Panama. I'd like to put a liner in it so that I don't have to buy a new sleeping bag. Do you guys have any suggestions? I've got no idea what to buy and don't want to end up freezing my rear end off at night.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

You can rent a sleeping bag in Cusco if you don't mind using a rental and don't plan on using a warmer bag in the future.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

huhu posted:

I'm going hiking in Machu Picchu (20 to 30F at night) in June and I'm trying to figure out my sleeping bag situation. I've got a Kelty Celestial 55
Degree Sleeping Bag since I'm living in Panama. I'd like to put a liner in it so that I don't have to buy a new sleeping bag. Do you guys have any suggestions? I've got no idea what to buy and don't want to end up freezing my rear end off at night.

There's a link to the hiking thread in the op near the top. I bet they know.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
Random useful thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned. Extra long charging cable for your phone so that obnoxiously placed hostel wall socket doesn't need to be a problem.

Means I can charge the phone overnight with the phone right next to me, reducing the chance that an early riser might be tempted to run off with it. Worth it's weight in gold, esp if your phone and camera use the same cable. Also sod those huge adapter things, just get a USB wall charger for the region you're in.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Spikes32 posted:

Thanks, I would not have thought to look in that subforum.

But did you think to look in this one?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490050

:unsmigghh:

(on a serious note, that is probably less useful to you than the YLLS, still plenty of good tips mixed in with the TFR poo poo)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is the eBags Weekender still the golden option for budget travel backpacks? The link in OP is outdated and there's a 2.0 version out now:

I imagine it's just as good as the old one. I'm just planning on using it for short holidays (~7 days) and want to avoid checking in luggage.

If there's a better option for ~$70 I'd love to hear it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Vegetable posted:

Is the eBags Weekender still the golden option for budget travel backpacks? The link in OP is outdated and there's a 2.0 version out now:

I imagine it's just as good as the old one. I'm just planning on using it for short holidays (~7 days) and want to avoid checking in luggage.

If there's a better option for ~$70 I'd love to hear it.

I haven't used that one but I have a Caribee Sky Master 40L which has served me well on a couple of international trips (Indonesia for a week, USA for 3 weeks), it's $80 on amazon. I believe I posted pics of it in this thread last year if you want to see.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Recommendations for a lightweight bag? My two main criteria are that it is light and has two straps do it can be worn as a backpack. The ones in the OP with the side-opening zips look ok but a little bulky. I'd be ok with a regular lightweight backpack.

I went on a flight recently and the hand luggage limit was 5 kg (was ok as I had hold luggage) but if I use them again I need a lighter bag.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lady Gaza posted:

I went on a flight recently and the hand luggage limit was 5 kg (was ok as I had hold luggage) but if I use them again I need a lighter bag.
Were they actually weighing people's stuff? I flew Virgin Atlantic a couple years ago and they have a posted 5kg limit and I was all nervous because I couldn't get below ~7 and then when I showed up at the gate people were boarding with two huge bags and nobody said a peep.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

qirex posted:

Were they actually weighing people's stuff? I flew Virgin Atlantic a couple years ago and they have a posted 5kg limit and I was all nervous because I couldn't get below ~7 and then when I showed up at the gate people were boarding with two huge bags and nobody said a peep.

Yeah they were, luckily my camera gear was packed in my hold luggage so my carry-on was only 3 kg. I can't imagine it being too common a problem but I would like a bag that is quite lightweight in case it does happen again. A light bag would be nice to have anyway though even without considering a 5 kg limit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

Discount airlines are worst about it but I've had it happen at least once every airline I've flown.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just got back from a trip to Germany, Austria and Italy and had my trip saved by Compeed blister plasters, they sell them in the US as "Band-Aid Advanced Healing Blister Cushions." I wore all the skin off the back of one of my heels on my first long hike and would have to had sit around doing nothing for days if not for these.

Other random gear impressions from the trip:
Sony RX100M2 camera: Awesome, exceeded expectations [there's an M3 out now]
Marmot Precip jacket: Good as always
Merrell Realm Lace shoes: Great except for that one spot I got a heel rub on which means I'm really glad I had my:
Adidas Busenitz ADV shoes: Excellent for everything except rain, even did a fairly substantial hike in them
Jackery Bar USB battery: Worked great, good balance of size and capacity, bonus flashlight

Both my bags [Jansport Modus Convertible, Timbuk2 small messenger] worked great but they're both discontinued, it's disappointing that the new Timbuk2 messengers don't have the crazy number of pockets they used to, they saved me having to carry a lot of little accessory organizers and even a dedicated camera case.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I recently added a down jacket to my gear. So, here are my options when packing:

Ultralight 800 fill down jacket (more like a sweater, best for 40s or 50s Fahrenheit if just wearing a short sleeve t-shirt underneath)
Lined soft shell
Goretex hard shell

Now that I have the down coat, it's tough for me to see much a lot of utility for the soft shell since I usually pack 100 weight fleece tops and base layers for cold (think London in Nov). The two upsides to the soft shell are that it's windproof (definitely matters when scaling things like the Great Wall) and it has pit zips for heat exhaust. The down jacket is easily packable, though I'd prefer not to stuff it too much into its pocket zip to avoid any quills popping out unnecessarily. Anybody else have a similar lineup? What do you usually pack?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 14, 2014

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

What do you bring with you for the day? Bottle of water and food? Camera?

I'd probably just get a basic Jansport for that. What do you like about that roller top pack? The way it looks?

I went on a four day / three night hike when I lived in SE Asia and just used a school sized Jansport kind of back pack for that.

How did you carry a tent/sleeping bag/pad/food/camping gear??

This is what i'm struggling with, bringing 1 bag, 1 shoes doing multiple activities.
I'll be travelling to the U.S next month and going for 5 weeks, half national parks and the other half city/nightlife.

I just ordered these Palladium Pampa-Hi canvas boots which will be my only pair.
Would it be silly to think i could hike with these at Glacier NP, Yellowstone/Grand teton, Rocky Mountain NP?
and then pavement pounding NYC, Vegas etc.
I'm also concerned getting into clubs in Vegas and NYC.
Upon reading the rest of of this thread, i probably should have gone with the Ecco track 6 but amazon didn't have it in my size and probably won't ship to my place before i depart.

I'll be using the Timbuk2 (Older model) Wingman i used in my last trip. While it did the job, i didn't like how things bulged in the bottom while i'm wearing it, despite using packing cubes. I'd imagine this is similar to the Patagonia MLC and other frameless bags. I like its lightness but the side pockets didn't work well with cables, chargers, electric shaver, toilitries. I'm wondering what's a better way to organize these generic items so they're not just loosely fiddling around the sidepockets. I tried putting in a packing cube but it still felt unorganized having all these generic items in a packing cube.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Movendi posted:

The hike had stopovers in hilltribe villages at night where my guide would arrange for lodging. You don't need a sleeping bag in Thailand, I used my ratty old sarong as a sheet mostly to keep mosquitoes off of my feet. I carried some of the food, the guide carried the rest, and we bartered for some along the way.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Movendi posted:

This is what i'm struggling with, bringing 1 bag, 1 shoes doing multiple activities.
I'll be travelling to the U.S next month and going for 5 weeks, half national parks and the other half city/nightlife.

I just ordered these Palladium Pampa-Hi canvas boots which will be my only pair.
Would it be silly to think i could hike with these at Glacier NP, Yellowstone/Grand teton, Rocky Mountain NP?
and then pavement pounding NYC, Vegas etc.
I'm also concerned getting into clubs in Vegas and NYC.
Upon reading the rest of of this thread, i probably should have gone with the Ecco track 6 but amazon didn't have it in my size and probably won't ship to my place before i depart.

I'll be using the Timbuk2 (Older model) Wingman i used in my last trip. While it did the job, i didn't like how things bulged in the bottom while i'm wearing it, despite using packing cubes. I'd imagine this is similar to the Patagonia MLC and other frameless bags. I like its lightness but the side pockets didn't work well with cables, chargers, electric shaver, toilitries. I'm wondering what's a better way to organize these generic items so they're not just loosely fiddling around the sidepockets. I tried putting in a packing cube but it still felt unorganized having all these generic items in a packing cube.

For clubbing, some places will be very picky about your footwear and dress, others won't. There are also options like Sunday night poolside at XS where everyone's in beachwear due to theme. I'm not familiar with clubbing in NYC, but in Vegas how much slack they bouncers are willing to give you is directly linked to how much you've paid to be in the club (bottle service). You'll definitely want more than one pair of shoes, though. Those are going to be beat after hiking and you may feel out of place in a city if you're dressing up. You'll definitely feel out of place with those in a club. If you're from the EU, you should consider buying some shoes while you're in the States. I've seen EU sneaker prices and ours are always way, way cheaper than any sneaker shop I've seen in Europe. And if you needed emergency dress shoes, you could always get some at like a Wal Mart for $20 or so and just throw them away/donate them at the end of your trip.

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008
Yea that's what i'd imagine, but i'm not the type of person to go to the trendiest places. I'd prefer to visit bars/clubs that's relaxed and has a social atmosphere. My friends thought it would be wise to prepurchase a ticket for a deadmau5 pool party at encore, so im not sure if that's garaunteed entry? Maybe i could get away with flipflops and beach attire seeing that it is a pool party.

The other issue is I want to buy a lot of clothes since it's significantly cheaper in the states. That would mean buying another bag over there and hauling that everywhere I go. What type of bag would be better if i ended up with a big pile of heavy and bulky items, rolled luggage or duffel bag?
Is there some type of service in the states where I could send off clothes/souvenirs to my final destination and just pick it up before i jet off home?

Group travel discussion:
I'll probably make a new thread for this but I'm sure the savvy readers might be able to offer input.
I rarely travel with a group so I would like to hear some advice in this area from a project management perspective. I am a logical type of guy but I have not learned the art of efficient management. I'm after a planning methodology that is simple and efficient. What tools and tips do you use for group travel. Apps, websites, gadgets, techniques anything that can make this a streamlined process.

Some things i've learned so far:

https://www.splitwise.com - seems an easy way to keep track of sharing costs and who owes what for pre-trip purchases and on-the road

Google sites - As a collaborative portal to dump our ideas, calendar, places to see. Not exactly elegant. Next time if there's no better market solution to group travel, i'd use onenote.

https://www.roadtrippers.com - Very useful tool in planning our roadtrips but also very buggy

Movendi fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 23, 2014

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Movendi posted:

Yea that's what i'd imagine, but i'm not the type of person to go to the trendiest places. I'd prefer to visit bars/clubs that's relaxed and has a social atmosphere. My friends thought it would be wise to prepurchase a ticket for a deadmau5 pool party at encore, so im not sure if that's garaunteed entry? Maybe i could get away with flipflops and beach attire seeing that it is a pool party.

The other issue is I want to buy a lot of clothes since it's significantly cheaper in the states. That would mean buying another bag over there and hauling that everywhere I go. What type of bag would be better if i ended up with a big pile of heavy and bulky items, rolled luggage or duffel bag?
Is there some type of service in the states where I could send off clothes/souvenirs to my final destination and just pick it up before i jet off home?

Encore is very ritzy and trendy, but for the beach club you won't need formal dress. I don't think most places in Vegas are "relaxed." It's a shitshow in most of the bars and clubs, but that's kinda the appeal for most people. You'll be good with beach attire at Encore and getting a ticket does guarantee your entry. Shows do sell out.

If you're staying at a hotel for your final destination before going home, you can usually mail things to a hotel and they'll charge you for receiving those packages based on the weight. You'd have to call ahead to confirm the service and the prices. For clothing, where are you going and what do you want to buy? You can practically buy everything in Vegas if you're looking for brand names and you don't mind paying regular price/slightly inflated prices. You could even buy the bag there. A duffel bag might not make the trip back home, but even bad rolled luggage (like train stuff) could survive one trip.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Movendi posted:

Get the ticket and play by ear. Like other goons said, worse comes worse you can always buy poo poo. Travel Gear Thread : Don't be a pack rat, you can always buy poo poo

quote:

You can order those cheap large bags. I don't know the English name

https://www.google.com.hk/search?sa...899.A7NcypmXefU

Best bet is to consolidate everything into one US address and then shipping it to your home.

[quote]
Group travel discussion:
I'll probably make a new thread for this but I'm sure the savvy readers might be able to offer input.
I rarely travel with a group so I would like to hear some advice in this area from a project management perspective. I am a logical type of guy but I have not learned the art of efficient management. I'm after a planning methodology that is simple and efficient. What tools and tips do you use for group travel. Apps, websites, gadgets, techniques anything that can make this a streamlined process.

Tools and being logical helps, but do remember that you are traveling with people. Have a chat with your group, and make sure everyone is always on the same page. Is everyone ok with spending X every day? Does anyone need to their own alone time? Personalities? Are you guys going to mesh well? What if poo poo hits the fan, who's going to be the guy keeping things cool and manageable?

You can be really disorganized and cluttered about the trip and everyone can still have a fun time, or you can be super clear about budgets and all and everyone can have a bad time. It really really depends on your group. Best bet is to have a chat with them all and make sure everyone's ok with whatever set plan. Don't create surprises.

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008

Blinkman987 posted:

If you're staying at a hotel for your final destination before going home, you can usually mail things to a hotel and they'll charge you for receiving those packages based on the weight. You'd have to call ahead to confirm the service and the prices. For clothing, where are you going and what do you want to buy? You can practically buy everything in Vegas if you're looking for brand names and you don't mind paying regular price/slightly inflated prices. You could even buy the bag there. A duffel bag might not make the trip back home, but even bad rolled luggage (like train stuff) could survive one trip.

Nice idea, i didn't think they would allow that. I'll be visiting these cities in order (with road trips and National Parks in between): Portland 2 days, Vegas 2 days, NYC 7days, SFO 2 days.
I'm just seeking quality italian style men's clothing, and casual clothes. I'm not really someone with great fashion sense so i think I should hire some local fashionista who can guide me in creating a stylish wardrobe. But most importantly, someone who can guide me to all the shops so i don't have to waste time finding shops that might not have things i'm looking for. Something like what Queer Eye for straight guy do, but nothing over-the-top and not commission-based on stores to visit.

Gadgets:
This organizer looks good for generic items that can't be organized neatly in a packing cube.
Grid-it organizer - http://www.cocooninnovations.com/grid.php

Movendi fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 24, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Post in the men's fashion thread in You Look Like poo poo and ask them about good stores to go to in each city.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Does anyone have any uk-specific recommendations for hand-luggage sized backpacks? Ideally I'd like a backpacking-style bag that can be opened and carried sideways like a suitcase. I've seen a few in this thread but couldn't find anything on amazon that matched. Maybe I'm using the wrong search term, as I just get normal backpacks or those with frames and wheels.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's not maximum carry on size, only good for short business trips, but I have a mandarina duck bag. You can also load a suit!

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

I think north face do a range but they tend to be heavy and have THE NORTH FACE branded all over them so not subtle of you are looking for a business/casual combo

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

Lady Gaza posted:

Does anyone have any uk-specific recommendations for hand-luggage sized backpacks? Ideally I'd like a backpacking-style bag that can be opened and carried sideways like a suitcase. I've seen a few in this thread but couldn't find anything on amazon that matched. Maybe I'm using the wrong search term, as I just get normal backpacks or those with frames and wheels.

Found these playing around on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowe-Alpine-Carry-On-bag-black/dp/B001V5O450/ref=sr_1_77?s=luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1406213886&sr=1-77

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osprey-Farpoint-bag-grey-black/dp/B006P5PZX6/ref=sr_1_2?s=luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1406214045&sr=1-2

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

dogs are bears
Aug 1, 2014

My fiance and I are going to Japan for our honeymoon for 2 weeks next May (with a 2 night stopover in Hong Kong) and I'm looking for recommendations on women's shoes. I'd like to do the 1 pair + shower flip flops thing since we will be staying in a few places with shared bathrooms/showers. Unfortunately, I don't think my feet can handle using the shower flip flops for anything other than showering (unless you know of any plastic flip flops with kick rear end support and blister-free bands). I expect to be doing a LOT of walking (around cities, no serious hiking), but would prefer to not be in sneakers since I'll have to look nice occasionally. I'm open to either closed toed shoes or sandals, so long as they are comfortable. Maybe my solution is 1 pair of walking shoes and a 1 pair of something a bit nicer, but I'm hoping you all can help me avoid that...

I'm also all ears for any recommendations on women's clothing that doesn't wrinkle, dries relatively quickly, and isn't obviously hiking/athletic clothing. It will be late spring/early summer so I expect it to range from warm and muggy to cool enough to want a light jacket, depending on where we are and the time of day. Right now my rough list of clothing includes a couple shirts (maybe 2 tees, 2 tanks, 1 long sleeve), 1 pair of pants, 1 pair of shorts, a light jacket and either a dress or skirt, but please feel free to advise on this general packing list as well.

I plan on using a 45L backpack with packing cubes if that helps give you a sense of the amount of stuff I'd like to bring.

thanks in advance!!

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
When I went to Japan one woman in our group basically lived in sandals similar to these: http://www.rei.com/product/867803/chaco-flip-ecotread-flip-flops-womens
We did over 40 miles of (not super hardcore) hiking plus lots of general walking around and she seemed to love them.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Seems like it's not your first time doing this so there's nothing much to add. Quick answer: get lots of sarongs!

Oh and you can always ask in the Japan thread, and if you do stop in HK give the China thread of me a shout. We can throw in the Hong Kong welcome brigade and do a goon meet.

Clothing list is fine, but I would ditch the tanktops and replace them with those quick dry/athletic shirts. Japanese tend to dress well and people in Tokyo dress really well. Shower flip flops though, lots of places do actually have toilet/bathroom slippers but the wet floor shouldn't be a big concern because Japan in general is super clean. You probably would hit the hot springs some time as well :shobon: But if you really want to, get a cheap pair at home and tie them to your zipper and look like a hobo. Shoe sizes in Japan tend to be smaller. Not that it matters because all foreigner tourists look like haggard barbarians in the eyes of the Yamato.

May won't be that muggy and the breeze is actually perfect. So probably long sleeves. Besides, long sleeves are better suited for temples and churches. You can wear beach wear clothing in most places but it's just bad taste. Ladies have it easy for back pack travelling, just pick up a sarong and make different styles out of it.

Footwear is really subjective, 1 normal + 1 nice is what I used to do. I worse some nice looking shoes for 2 weeks in Kansai and my feet felt horrible afterwards. But nowadays I get lazy and look like a travel dad with my black sneakers/hiking shoes/athletic poo poo.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

dogs are bears posted:

My fiance and I are going to Japan for our honeymoon for 2 weeks next May (with a 2 night stopover in Hong Kong) and I'm looking for recommendations on women's shoes. I'd like to do the 1 pair + shower flip flops thing since we will be staying in a few places with shared bathrooms/showers. Unfortunately, I don't think my feet can handle using the shower flip flops for anything other than showering (unless you know of any plastic flip flops with kick rear end support and blister-free bands). I expect to be doing a LOT of walking (around cities, no serious hiking), but would prefer to not be in sneakers since I'll have to look nice occasionally. I'm open to either closed toed shoes or sandals, so long as they are comfortable. Maybe my solution is 1 pair of walking shoes and a 1 pair of something a bit nicer, but I'm hoping you all can help me avoid that...

I'm also all ears for any recommendations on women's clothing that doesn't wrinkle, dries relatively quickly, and isn't obviously hiking/athletic clothing. It will be late spring/early summer so I expect it to range from warm and muggy to cool enough to want a light jacket, depending on where we are and the time of day. Right now my rough list of clothing includes a couple shirts (maybe 2 tees, 2 tanks, 1 long sleeve), 1 pair of pants, 1 pair of shorts, a light jacket and either a dress or skirt, but please feel free to advise on this general packing list as well.

I plan on using a 45L backpack with packing cubes if that helps give you a sense of the amount of stuff I'd like to bring.

thanks in advance!!

I have a pair of Anne Klein flats similar to this http://www.dsw.com/shoe/ak+anne+klein+salvita+flat?prodId=278818&productRef=SEARCH that I wear on vacations that involve a lot of city walking as they are comfy and aren't too casual. I still bring a second pair of shoes because I think it's way more comfortable to rotate than wearing the same pair two weeks straight and flats don't take up that much space. If you're set on only taking one pair I'd recommend something you can wear socks with.

For clothing I'm a fan of just regular summer dresses or jersey knit dresses because they don't take up much space and look nicer than shorts + tee. I bring a cardigan and a pashmina type scarf in case it's chilly. I've also used the scarf as a light blanket, pillow, head covering, sarong, and picnic blanket so I think it's pretty handy. But for two weeks packing space shouldn't be too much of an issue; I went to Japan for two weeks with a carry on and didn't have any problems.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

caberham posted:

Oh and you can always ask in the Japan thread, and if you do stop in HK give the China thread of me a shout. We can throw in the Hong Kong welcome brigade and do a goon meet.

I am the fiancee :yayclod:

We get into HK on a Wednesday in June, and I really really want to go to Happy Valley. It could be fun to meet some goons for the races maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

I am the fiancee :yayclod:

We get into HK on a Wednesday in June, and I really really want to go to Happy Valley. It could be fun to meet some goons for the races maybe.

It's a blast and pretty exciting. It will be a bit muggy in Hong Kong by then but who cares, it's Hong Kong, not Japan. If you guys can get me a box of Tokyo bananas when you leave Japan that would be super awesome. Oh and get an open jaw ticket. Going from Tokyo ---> southern Japan ---> back to Tokyo is a bit of a schlep and not really worth it. Unless you are some train nerd and love riding trains all day :goonsay:

• Locked thread