Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Seems that way.

So um, does anyone else worry ever so slightly about WWE editing certain reactions and stuff? Or do you think they just wouldn't bother?

Examples I can think of:

YOU TAPPED OUT at HHH vs. Lesnar
Basically everything at the latter part of this year's Rumble
In 30 days or so, CM PUNK chants, BOOTISTA, etc.

I don't think they would. But I also don't give two shits if they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Other than Over The Edge 1999, I don't expect any edits beyond legal stuff.
Music has to be changed and one guy working on the network said ECW and WCW shows have "WWF" bleeped, which is so weird I assume it's true even though I don't know why it wasn't allowed in the settlement that got the logos unblurred.

e: That could be a remnant of ECW and WCW stuff being converted to digital years ago. It might not even be a requirement at this point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They also mentioned on the PPV tonight that there's going to be something like 50 documentaries from DVDs available too.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

I don't think they would. But I also don't give two shits if they do.

I dunno man, those Rumble reactions are the kind of thing I'd love to re-live again and again. :allears:

And as far as tonight, well, I gotta hear it for myself. Bootista. They seriously did it. :laugh:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
A source has specifically said the only edits would be OTE 99 and music licensing. There will be warnings before questionable content.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I dunno man, those Rumble reactions are the kind of thing I'd love to re-live again and again. :allears:

And as far as tonight, well, I gotta hear it for myself. Bootista. They seriously did it. :laugh:

I don't really care about crowd chants at all. They can edit it all they want as far as I'm concerned. They probably won't though.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If I can search "creative shat the bed" and watch crowds poo poo all over segment after segment, I will buy this thing for every one of my friends who watched wrestling in junior high.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Batista posted:

A source has specifically said the only edits would be OTE 99 and music licensing. There will be warnings before questionable content.

Well that's swell then. I can see the music licensing grating on me though, in terms of enjoyment of promo packages. The funny thing is if the WWE truck monkeys weren't so good, it wouldn't matter. But they're SO good at syncing music and everything that, welp.

This makes me wonder about new shows, though. Will they account for the licensing on new shows? Will it just change eventually?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Because editing PPVs and deciding what to edit would be significantly more labor intensive?

One of their big things about the Network is and has been "airing stuff uncensored and as it originally aired"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I really hope Joey means a ton of Hardcore TV episodes and they won't just be "airing" on the stream, because ECW PPV is severely limited. It's only 6 shows a year, none before April 1997.

They produced a ton of edited Hardcore TV episodes for ECW on Classics on Demand. It had Tazz or Joey Styles doing an intro for each one on a set.

The stuff is done, music edited out, ready to go. There is no reason not to put it up on the network.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

We'll figure out what's on the network in 7 hours. If it's almost entirely PPV and DVD releases, PSP is going to have a mixed reaction. While that's by far the most demanded stuff, it's also the most common and a lot of the people who would care about online video archives have already seen it recently.

I really hope Joey means a ton of Hardcore TV episodes and they won't just be "airing" on the stream, because ECW PPV is severely limited. It's only 6 shows a year, none before April 1997.

But see I also think its somewhat important to remember that what's on the Network tomorrow might not be what's on the network in six months. Just because Hardcore TV isn't there tomorrow doesn't mean it might not show up in time and just because it is doesn't mean they might not take it away later. Its a brand new prospect with nothing to draw from. Unlike WWE booking it makes sense to apply the "wait and see" approach on this.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Because editing PPVs and deciding what to edit would be significantly more labor intensive?

If they care enough about it they'll do it, I imagine. Its not like they're just throwing DVDs in and copying them over. There's already interns or editors or whatever laboring over this stuff editing out copywritten music. They spent years editing out "WWF" logos and Benoit references. I doubt they'll go through every show and edit out every time the crowd poo poo on Triple H, but if they care enough to "clean up" how Batista was received at the Royal Rumble they'll add it to the list of things to do. They're a multi-billion dollar corporation. I'm sure there are over qualified, under paid people sitting in small offices and cubicles doing lovely tasks like this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Well that's swell then. I can see the music licensing grating on me though, in terms of enjoyment of promo packages. The funny thing is if the WWE truck monkeys weren't so good, it wouldn't matter. But they're SO good at syncing music and everything that, welp.

This makes me wonder about new shows, though. Will they account for the licensing on new shows? Will it just change eventually?

Music licensing is expensive as poo poo. I would imagine they won't license anything that isn't necessary. Luckily though they tend to use stuff from music libraries these days instead of actual songs.

The ECW stuff is hosed though. Because a large chunk of those Hardcore TVs were full of music videos and very few actual matches.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Deadpool posted:

They also mentioned on the PPV tonight that there's going to be something like 50 documentaries from DVDs available too.

This is a show as well that's supposedly a look into their vault.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If they care at all, the only change will be fewer Wrestlemania one-off themes. It's honestly not worth the money.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I loved ECW Hardcore TV and would love to experience it again but those things are going to be butchered to poo poo way beyond the entrance music so its probably not worth it. And honestly, I can't really blame WWE for that. gently caress, what about "Pulp Fiction"?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I loved ECW Hardcore TV and would love to experience it again but those things are going to be butchered to poo poo way beyond the entrance music so its probably not worth it. And honestly, I can't really blame WWE for that. gently caress, what about "Pulp Fiction"?

I watched a lot of those several years back and honestly the only worth they have is from a historical "Oh so that's what they were showing on the local Philly stations" perspective. The constant music videos and shilling of merch and live event meant there was very little actual full match content on those shows.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

Music licensing is expensive as poo poo. I would imagine they won't license anything that isn't necessary. Luckily though they tend to use stuff from music libraries these days instead of actual songs.

The ECW stuff is hosed though. Because a large chunk of those Hardcore TVs were full of music videos and very few actual matches.

Do main event video packages not use the PPV theme in them anymore? I was gonna comment on this but then realized every time I could think of in recent history it's been more production music in the actual video packages with the "theme" just playing in the background every once in a while.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deadpool posted:

I watched a lot of those several years back and honestly the only worth they have is from a historical "Oh so that's what they were showing on the local Philly stations" perspective. The constant music videos and schilling of merch and live event meant there was very little actual full match content on those shows.

I've rewatched some and I know the reality of it. I know what didn't age well and how much of the shows was spent selling me RF videos, t-shirts, and whatever. And yeah, that's part of it too. But if you take that and then take out the music videos, the major entrance themes from the likes of the Gangstas and Sandman, and maybe even the Pulp Fiction segments what the hell is even left? The show's just going to be useless by attrition, even from a nostalgic perspective.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Do main event video packages not use the PPV theme in them anymore? I was gonna comment on this but then realized every time I could think of in recent history it's been more production music in the actual video packages with the "theme" just playing in the background every once in a while.

The WWE PPV themes are probably covered under their original licensing deals, or at least I'd think. When they worked out the deals for those themes to begin with they probably already factored in replays and DVD sales into the cost which I imagine would be covered here or could be extended relatively cheaply. But the ECW themes were ages ago and for a much smaller audience and coverage. WWE probably has to sign new licensing deals for all that stuff which would cost for all the people who could potentially hear them. And we're talking major songs from major artists, not the 8th track from Saliva.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 24, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

I've rewatched some and I know the reality of it. I know what didn't age well and how much of the shows was spent selling me RF videos, t-shirts, and whatever. And yeah, that's part of it too. But if you take that and then take out the music videos, the major entrance themes from the likes of the Gangstas and Sandman, and maybe even the Pulp Fiction segments what the hell is even left? The show's just going to be useless by attrition, even from a nostalgic perspective.

Yeah, but I'm saying even leaving all the stuff there's not much there really. I mean, I was never a fan of hardcore wrestling and ECW anyway, but I don't think I'd ever even want to watch a full music intact and uncut version of Hardcore TV because what I have watched of it only made me like ECW even less.

The only ECW really worth watching are the special events they had before PPV and the PPVs themselves. Some of the TNN stuff is good too but there's a lot of fat there too.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Update is out for iOS and Android

I do enjoy how the 2/11/2014 edition of Raw features IRS, Ted Dibiase, and Razor.

It's entirely possible these "Raw Flashbacks" are full episodes. Raw used to be only an hour until 1997, so that would put them at about 45-47 minutes per episode as shown in the screenshots.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 24, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah but I liked ECW so besides there being a nostalgic aspect to it there's also probably more that appeals to me today even beyond what hasn't aged well or what I've grown past. But obviously there's something hugely lost watching a weekly show like that 20 years later where the pacing and hype just feels empty since its all done and past. The PPVs would naturally seem more appealing in a lot of ways because they were complete packages of content, but for a lot of old ECW fans like me Hardcore TV is what we fell in love with. To me ECW isn't "hardcore" wrestling so much as it is the grainy, 90s show with the music packages and different matches that usually ended with a pulp fiction montage. And the same video commercials played over and over again so that I could probably quote them for you all these years later.

Nostalgia is what it is I'm not pretending there's not some of that in my appreciation of Hardcore TV. But I also thing there's some value to seeing something historically significant to wrestling like that as the way it truly existed. I'd like to sit and watch WCCW shows too. They might be poo poo but I'd like to be able to experience them for myself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batista posted:

Update is out for iOS and Android

I do enjoy how the 2/11/2014 edition of Raw features IRS, Ted Dibiase, and Razor.

It's entirely possible these "Raw Flashbacks" are full episodes. Raw used to be only an hour until 1997, so that would put them at about 45-47 minutes per episode as shown in the screenshots.

Are those your caps? If so, how the hell are you logging in already?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Deadpool posted:

Are those your caps? If so, how the hell are you logging in already?

Not mine, stock screenshots found on the app pages.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batista posted:

Not mine, stock screenshots found on the app pages.

Ahh, ok.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

At 7AM there is that GLF proposing to his girlfriend?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Let's hope that the site is down for some last minute maintenance.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Hahha wow, wwe.com is just a blank white screen right now. Under 2 hours!

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

all the network related pages are still active at least http://www.wwe.com/wwenetwork also every page that IS active, with the exception of the actual network page now has the WWE Network logo with a yellow ONE WEEK FREE TRIAL button under it, also the FAQ has now been expanded

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Looks like they finally answered the question I've been asking for a month..

quote:

WWE Network can be viewed on your TV using Google Chromecast and the Google Chrome browser on your desktop or laptop computer. There is not a Chromecast-compatible app for WWE Network available at this time.

Looks like I won't be signing up.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Network signups are up. Logging in once you start the free trial lets you watch some test bars.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.
I'm signed up and logged in, currently watching Aretha Franklin belt out America the Beautiful at Wrestlemania III. This is unbelievable.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CubsWoo posted:

Network signups are up. Logging in once you start the free trial lets you watch some test bars.

Nice! Signed up. Weird that you have to do the 6-month commitment, but they still seem to charge you on a monthly basis?

Either way, this rules.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Searching for "Benoit" and "Chris Benoit" gives 0 results on the search page. "Hulk Machine" does give 1 result, though!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Okay it looks like the free 7 day trial forces you to commit to the 6 months anyway. It's just 7 days free? :v:

Whatever I signed up anyway.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Phenix Rising posted:

Nice! Signed up. Weird that you have to do the 6-month commitment, but they still seem to charge you on a monthly basis?

That's really smart. If you're being charged on a monthly basis but know you're required to commit to six months, you're much more likely to let it keep charging you after the commitment is over.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

About the question of Raw and Smackdown replays being on WWE network the FAQ says this: Yes, 2012 and 2013 replays of Raw and SmackDown are available on WWE Network's ever-growing video-on-demand library. Current episodes of RAW and SmackDown will be available on-demand 30 days after their original air date on USA and Syfy.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Acrolos posted:

Looks like they finally answered the question I've been asking for a month..

Looks like I won't be signing up.

While that's ultimately what I want, I can live with the Xbox app for now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Acrolos posted:

That's really smart. If you're being charged on a monthly basis but know you're required to commit to six months, you're much more likely to let it keep charging you after the commitment is over.
One thing I absolutely loved is that right there on the only page you have to enter info, there's a large, clear checkbox that says "Auto re-new after 6 months" that you can opt out of. I'm not being ironic or sarcastic, I wish all goddamn companies did that. I hate having to go through a dozen menus after I've signed up to ubsubscribe from auto-renew.

I don't see the option to pay off all 6 months at once, if you select buy as gift it lets you pay up-front for a whole year, but there's no slider for just 6 months.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 24, 2014

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Rick Rude on ECW!! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Subscribed and on network now. Every Raw from 2012 and 2013 is up, 2014 has up until Batista's return on JAnuary 19th.

The first 9 episodes from 1993 are also available, and two random ones from 1998.