Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackchamber posted:

Sadly this episode didn't sell me on the papillon. I'll probably pick it up later on but I still think its ugly and not that bad-rear end. Still lovin that Fenice though. I wish he had self destructed it. Then he could have told Kirara that poo poo isn't everything and he'd have more time to spend going after her (until he has to make another fenice for next year's tourney), and at the same time hamstringing team nemesis. That way he could be less of a goon choosing gun-pla over girl-pus.

I agree, he should've blown it to screw Team Nemesis in true Wing fashion. Though you seem to have forgotten the last time he tried picking up a girl - he sent a finely-crafted HG Victory Gundam to a girl sitting a few tables away at some cafe he was hanging out at.

BlitzBlast posted:

Only in Build Fighters could the reveal that the red MS will be piloted by the Char be a surprise. :allears:

I dunno, I still think the Chairman's going to use it, simply because it's pretty likely Miss Sazabi belongs to Blake and she's not exactly "grand final fight"-tier as a villain. The design screams "VILLAIN MECH" far too much, so unless Yuuki suddenly goes colony-dropping crazy I don't think he'll be the one using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I agree, he should've blown it to screw Team Nemesis in true Wing fashion. Though you seem to have forgotten the last time he tried picking up a girl - he sent a finely-crafted HG Victory Gundam to a girl sitting a few tables away at some cafe he was hanging out at.

Episode 15 was all about how Fellini has had the Fenice for all of his life. Even thinking about blowing it up, a presumably irreparable action, is entirely out of character considering that, and he knows it. Basically if he had done it he'd spend the next few episodes moping about it, and that would just be terrible this close to the end.

Besides, HGAC Wing Zero is the March HG, so we might just see a comeback. :getin:

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Episode 15 was all about how Fellini has had the Fenice for all of his life. Even thinking about blowing it up, a presumably irreparable action, is entirely out of character considering that, and he knows it. Basically if he had done it he'd spend the next few episodes moping about it, and that would just be terrible this close to the end.

Besides, HGAC Wing Zero is the March HG, so we might just see a comeback. :getin:

I dunno, judging by the source material repairing the wing doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

By the way, more information about the Exia Dark Matter has come out.

Turns out it's the Gunpla that beat Takeshi's RX-78-2 in the 2nd World Championship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

That is true, I guess. I kinda assumed he'd just rebuilt and improved upon the same design over the years rather than it being the one ever-modified Gundam. I also wish Bandai would start filling out the franchise Gundams with the HG All Gundam series rather than just protagonist Mobile Suits. Stop loving teasing me with Heavyarms Custom in Build Fighters, Bandai! :argh:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Turns out it's the Gunpla that beat Takeshi's RX-78-2 in the 2nd World Championship.

Well that fucks with the timeline a little bit because 00 came out after the first plastky particles were discovered and the tournaments started running

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BlitzBlast posted:

From the Ashes, an Angel rises!

Also good on Fellini for finally becoming a True Wing Gundam pilot. Personally I like to imagine it's the only unit with a self destruct.

Monaghan posted:

Well that fucks with the timeline a little bit because 00 came out after the first plastky particles were discovered and the tournaments started running

Clearly they just based the 00 designs on the gunpla itself.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I knew somehow that was going to turn up. There was no way that they have Sei's dad pull second place but don't have the person that beat him show up in some way shape or form.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah, he was just surprised Yuuki was losing.

Incidentally, Reiji was the first one to actually notice the 1/144 Zeon soldiers. From like twenty feet away, at the top of the spectator stands. In a dark, rainy area. Dude's ridiculous.

Alright, because it would be weird if Reiji was fine with Kirara's underhanded tactics but indignant with the Renato brothers'.

Monaghan posted:

It was an exclusive sneak peek to drum up hype for 00.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Oh drat, poo poo just got real.

As always, I really love the interaction between Reji and Alia in this show. Build fighters may actually have the best tragic romance between enemies in the series.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Alright, because it would be weird if Reiji was fine with Kirara's underhanded tactics but indignant with the Renato brothers'.

But the Renato's tactics weren't underhanded? At least not in the same way Kirara's were. The Brothers just used misdirection and sleight of hand in battle, Kirara literally sabotaged the enemy unit before the battle so that it would basically be unusable in the actual fight.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No I remember that, and that Fellini has scooped up other gunpla fighter's girlfriends before. I just thought it'd be good for him if he destructed the Fenice because in the show we've seen them build destroy build, and he'd break the cycle (until next year) and go for a/the girl sans gunpla. Sure the chick he's into now is the gunpla idol but to me that would make it sweeter since they both share a strong interest but they give it the back seat to a relationship... in a series that puts the fun of building gunpla before everything else all the time. Stop being a goon Fellini, even if the girl is a goonette.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But the Renato's tactics weren't underhanded? At least not in the same way Kirara's were. The Brothers just used misdirection and sleight of hand in battle, Kirara literally sabotaged the enemy unit before the battle so that it would basically be unusable in the actual fight.

I know, that's why it would be weird.

And now I'm imagining a mini-Cold War between Mihoshi and the brothers Renato, should they face off. A complex series of sabotage and espionage that decides the battle before it even starts. Assuming Kirara is still cool with being underhanded.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

No I remember that, and that Fellini has scooped up other gunpla fighter's girlfriends before. I just thought it'd be good for him if he destructed the Fenice because in the show we've seen them build destroy build, and he'd break the cycle (until next year) and go for a/the girl sans gunpla. Sure the chick he's into now is the gunpla idol but to me that would make it sweeter since they both share a strong interest but they give it the back seat to a relationship... in a series that puts the fun of building gunpla before everything else all the time. Stop being a goon Fellini, even if the girl is a goonette.
Turns out Fellini's a member of SomethingAmazing. Anyone from the Gunpla thread, did you notice how Yuuki's new model looks like Blitz's 00 kitbash?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

I too wish a man would give up his passion and his major source of income to get with a girl who actually likes his passion and doesn't mind that he's into it at all.
:goonsay:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blackchamber posted:

No I remember that, and that Fellini has scooped up other gunpla fighter's girlfriends before.

Hey, hey hey, he said they came to him. :colbert:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I too wish a man would give up his passion and his major source of income to get with a girl who actually likes his passion and doesn't mind that he's into it at all.
:goonsay:

I never said he should give it up permanently. In fact I've stated at least twice that he could rebuild the Fenice for next year's GBWC and the events that lead up to it. But he's done for this season.
Suggesting taking a break from something you both enjoy to just enjoy each other's company and make your relationship less centered around one facet of your personality is equal to quitting forever :goonsay:

Edit: especially given his past gunpla centric relationships were apparently short lived.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 24, 2014

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I wanna talk for a moment about how impressed I am with Kirara/Mihoshi's character for a bit.

I was really wary of her introdution waaaay back in episode 4 since it would've been really easy for the writers to fall into the old trap of "manipulative evil bitch character gets one-upped by valorious, pure-hearted male protagonists." I'm really glad that didn't happen, though, because I don't think any other character could give that speech to Fellini and not have it sound trite. "If you lose today, then win tomorrow! If not tomorrow, then the day after tomorrow!" works really well because that's basically her character arc. She gets wrecked by the protags in her introduction, but rather than the cliche "you lost because your ambitions were petty and shortsighted" ending, we got instead "everyone has their own ambitions, even your opponents. Just because you lose doesn't mean you should give up on them," which I think sums up one of the main themes of the show quite well. This kind of fresh characterization is pretty neat to see in a Gundam show period, much less a transparent cash grab like GBF.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I never would have thought this, but I like nils more each episode.
Whilst his age is still very improbable he just rounds out the "I can't believe this hit" portion of the supporting cast so drat well.

That opening with the four of them in the room was amazing.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I wanted to mention this and see if anyone else thought the same thing...
When China gets interviewed about how Sei is in school and she tells the world he's a goof off, I know his mom was upset because that casts her son in a bad light. But did anyone else flashback to her daydream about being the center of attention at a media conference where shes pointed out as being such a lovely woman as much as her having a gunpla family and think maybe she was also a little upset they asked some classmate about Sei when they could/should have put her in the spotlight instead?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

3 posted:

I wanna talk for a moment about how impressed I am with Kirara/Mihoshi's character for a bit.

I was really wary of her introdution waaaay back in episode 4 since it would've been really easy for the writers to fall into the old trap of "manipulative evil bitch character gets one-upped by valorious, pure-hearted male protagonists." I'm really glad that didn't happen, though, because I don't think any other character could give that speech to Fellini and not have it sound trite. "If you lose today, then win tomorrow! If not tomorrow, then the day after tomorrow!" works really well because that's basically her character arc. She gets wrecked by the protags in her introduction, but rather than the cliche "you lost because your ambitions were petty and shortsighted" ending, we got instead "everyone has their own ambitions, even your opponents. Just because you lose doesn't mean you should give up on them," which I think sums up one of the main themes of the show quite well. This kind of fresh characterization is pretty neat to see in a Gundam show period, much less a transparent cash grab like GBF.

The female cast in this show in general is a lot of fun. I mean, by universal standards, they're nothing special, but by Gundam standards, it's quite refreshing (especially coming off AGE, but when measured up against the franchise in general, really). In particular, Aila seems by far one of the most successful and endearing examples of the Tragic Newtype Girl, which is an archetype with a fairly inglorious history.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It probably helps that they're pulling more from Allenby than anyone from AGE or UC for Ai[l|n]a's character. I'm laying good odds that she's going to break through the embody system next episode with hot-blooded fighting spirit.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kurieg posted:

It probably helps that they're pulling more from Allenby than anyone from AGE or UC for Ai[l|n]a's character. I'm laying good odds that she's going to break through the embody system next episode with hot-blooded fighting spirit.

And love for Gunpla, you can never have enough love for Gunpla.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I dig it how when under hypnosis, Sei starts quoting Gundam episodes. MATILDA!!!

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Aina's wilful but the Gunpla tournament involves fighting in a way she doesn't really enjoy, for a cause she doesn't believe in and against people she doesn't want to fight. That just doesn't seem like a good recipe for fighting spirit.

I mean she was having second thoughts about fighting even before her team deployed the mind-controlling Beserker system. After that little stunt she'd be well within her rights to tell Team Nemesis to :fuckoff:, rather than it igniting her enthusiasm somehow.

I definitely expect her to break the system somehow, but I don't think it'll be fighting spirit. Instead I'm putting my money on Aina's and Reiji's shared love of snacks. :3:

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dig it how when under hypnosis, Sei starts quoting Gundam episodes. MATILDA!!!

I love how he acts like he's getting slapped, "you....you hit me!!!!"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DookieSandwich posted:

I love how he acts like he's getting slapped, "you....you hit me!!!!"

It took me a second to figure out what was going on. If you don't get the references, you're really missing a lot in this show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtfon4QtA9U

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You know, given all the respect he gets, and the little exchange he and Fellini had this episode. It makes me wonder if Mr. Ral is a former GBWC Champion, perhaps he's even the man who defeated Takeshi Iori? It would certainly make sense why everyone (who isn't the younger kids) seems to know and respect him.

That or it is just the usual Ramba Ral gag and I'm looking into it too much.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You know, given all the respect he gets, and the little exchange he and Fellini had this episode. It makes me wonder if Mr. Ral is a former GBWC Champion, perhaps he's even the man who defeated Takeshi Iori? It would certainly make sense why everyone (who isn't the younger kids) seems to know and respect him.

That or it is just the usual Ramba Ral gag and I'm looking into it too much.

I came here to post just this. How do they namedrop Ral as the "Blue Giant" or whatever and not give any sort of flashback to his gunpla battling past and slaughtering gundams with his gouf.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

When China gets interviewed about how Sei is in school and she tells the world he's a goof off, I know his mom was upset because that casts her son in a bad light. But did anyone else flashback to her daydream about being the center of attention at a media conference where shes pointed out as being such a lovely woman as much as her having a gunpla family and think maybe she was also a little upset they asked some classmate about Sei when they could/should have put her in the spotlight instead?
I think it was a bit of both. Here's a big interview for Sei...and they ask China instead of Rinko to be interviewed. On the flip side, here's Sei getting somewhat embarrassed on live TV because China is nervous and Rinko can't really do much about it or else it'd send the reporters into a speculation frenzy.

As for the episode itself, I did laugh at Fellini opting for the Heero solution, only for the whole sequence to turn into a giant Trowa callback. Also, Sei being hypnotized into reciting ALL of Amuro's lines was hilarious.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So a Build Fighters doujin got translated, and it has pretty much the best concept: the 00 crew wants to use the BF popularity bump to get a new show.

And just as you'd expect, AGE ruins everything.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, I don't have a younger form, so I'm just a pair of glasses here.

HOLOGRAM

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Kio would be a more entertaining character if all of his attempts to improve the situation ended in catastrophic failure, if only because of his lack of research. "Understanding" turned on its head.

But yeah, if there is a season 2, it should be after the contract for 00 S2 and AGE expire. I've said time and time again that AGE-3 Orbital was a really cool suit and its treatment withing AGE is anime injustice. Back when GBF started up, I was hoping it would rectify that, but then I read about the contracts.

Alternatively, Gundam Build Fighters vs. Little Battlers eXperience

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I don't know why but tiny Setsuna saying Ewinninating targets makes me giggle like an idiot.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Level Slide posted:

But yeah, if there is a season 2, it should be after the contract for 00 S2 and AGE expire. I've said time and time again that AGE-3 Orbital was a really cool suit and its treatment withing AGE is anime injustice. Back when GBF started up, I was hoping it would rectify that, but then I read about the contracts.

AGE-Titus and the Pirate AGE-2 are loving amazing suits.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

BlitzBlast posted:

So a Build Fighters doujin got translated, and it has pretty much the best concept: the 00 crew wants to use the BF popularity bump to get a new show.

And just as you'd expect, AGE ruins everything.

Oh my gosh tiny Setsuna :3:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I was really hoping that Fellini was also hanging out in Sei's room at the beginning.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Schubalts posted:

I was really hoping that Fellini was also hanging out in Sei's room at the beginning.

I was pretty entertained that Maoh was still there moping around. Wasn't expecting to see him pop up like that. I like to think hes haunting a closet or the bathroom.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

I think she's more pissed off about the fact Sei is goofing off at school more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like how in the face of Nils' interrogation, Sei has completely neglected to mention that time Reiji teleported in front of him early in the series.

Or maybe he just repressed the memory to maintain his sanity.

• Locked thread