Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Namarrgon posted:

Line is pretty simple; would you do if tor a male friend? Be honest with yourself and try not to judge yourself too hard when the answer is 'no'.

I would, and have, on multiple occasions (excluding the plane trip part).

Her ex who blindsided me was one of them.

vvv I dunno, but I'd sure love to ask whoever did eventually respond.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDILZ
Feb 18, 2014

by Ralp

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Thanks for reminding me. Had an OKC account for something like 8 years, 0 responses, and the only person to contact me was a self-proclaimed "omnisexual" who had a thing for tentacles and MLP (perhaps not mutually exclusive). Who, very shortly after the attempt to contact me, must have had a friend proofread their profile because none of that was still there the next day.

so how was the date?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Hint: It's a really bad idea to try and date someone that you are a complete and total emotional crutch for. This is a horrible codependent relationship and you should not be proud that you continue to let people take advantage of you like that. You should look at it as something to work on, not always the right thing to do, especially for people on the internet.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

pointsofdata posted:

How many virgoons have attempted to use online dating websites? How did it go?

Largely pleasant in a way. I met a handful of women that I had no interest whatsoever in dating, after having met them, and the feeling seemed vaguely mutual. Nothing hostile about it, just a mutual lack of chemistry. Most of us went our separate ways amicably. One of them was an OK friend for a couple of months.

I actually think dating services would work if I knew the right ones to join. There's almost a culture to the things, but maybe it's just my imagination. If I knew exactly what it was that attracted me to one girl instead of another, I'd seek out that kind of girl. As it stands, I guess I lack a certain level of self-awareness about these things.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

xie posted:

Hint: It's a really bad idea to try and date someone that you are a complete and total emotional crutch for. This is a horrible codependent relationship and you should not be proud that you continue to let people take advantage of you like that. You should look at it as something to work on, not always the right thing to do, especially for people on the internet.

Thank you.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Thanks for reminding me. Had an OKC account for something like 8 years, 0 responses, and the only person to contact me was a self-proclaimed "omnisexual" who had a thing for tentacles and MLP (perhaps not mutually exclusive). Who, very shortly after the attempt to contact me, must have had a friend proofread their profile because none of that was still there the next day.

If you can't get any responses in an online dating environment or in real life, your problem probably runs a lot deeper than "How do I talk to women? lol" Just sayin'. This poo poo isn't rocket science. Like, this is literally your base function as a mammal. Talk to someone about it, man.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 24, 2014

pringledingle
Apr 3, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

How many virgoons have attempted to use online dating websites? How did it go?

i got some aids from craigslist

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Zack_Gochuck posted:

If you can't get any responses in an online dating environment or in real life, your problem probably runs a lot deeper than "How do I talk to women? lol" Just sayin'. This poo poo isn't rocket science. Like, this is literally your base function as a mammal. Talk to someone about it, man.

You would think. I don't really have issues in actually talking to people, I'm just incredibly loving jaded and rarely inclined to pursue it. And with any degree of self-awareness, online at least, there's only so many ways of loving up "hey, I'm X, I see you're into Y too, that's cool, how about dropping me a line sometime". I'm heavily introverted, not the sort of grotesque sociopathic gremlin some people get to be.

Also all my matches on OKC are either already taken but maintaining a profile for some reason, clearly very far removed from what I'm looking for, or outright say in their profile that if you don't have a clear and lustrous career path planned out and/or already make a six figure salary then you can gently caress right off.

This is why I'm secretly hoping for art school to have some potential to pan out, but again, all optimism is gone by now.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MonkeyforaHead posted:

You would think. I don't really have issues in actually talking to people, I'm just incredibly loving jaded and rarely inclined to pursue it. And with any degree of self-awareness, online at least, there's only so many ways of loving up "hey, I'm X, I see you're into Y too, that's cool, how about dropping me a line sometime". I'm heavily introverted, not the sort of grotesque sociopathic gremlin some people get to be.

Also all my matches on OKC are either already taken but maintaining a profile for some reason, clearly very far removed from what I'm looking for, or outright say in their profile that if you don't have a clear and lustrous career path planned out and/or already make a six figure salary then you can gently caress right off.

This is why I'm secretly hoping for art school to have some potential to pan out, but again, all optimism is gone by now.

I read this, and I am like, this is a person with a totally slanted view of relationships. Like, we are really obviously not getting the whole story here if we take what you're saying at face value. Does your school have a counseling centre?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This is why I'm secretly hoping for art school to have some potential to pan out,

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

In the spirit of the seriousness of this thread, heh, I wanted to bring something up.

I make no secret of the fact that I wast sexually abused when I was 4/5 years old, and have discussed it at length in pertinent threads. There was also some mutual sexual experimentation later on with peers of my own age, often initiated by me - I didn't understand, didn't understand sex, didn't understand what had happened to me, didn't understand what I was doing. I have carried and continue to carry tremendous amounts of guilt over this, but because I very quickly and effectively repressed all of this, I don't think it entered into my consciousness but maybe once every few years for... oh, maybe 15 years, from age 12 until age 26.

My point is that I considered myself 100% a virgin until I was 24 years old, and had consensual sex with a guy my age (was oral, which consider that sex; I have yet to have anal but intend on it very soon). Given that the first attempt was aborted because it ended up with me curled up in a ball bawling my eyes out, I feel I've made some strides!

But the thing I really wanted to discuss was this question of whether I was a virgin in the first place. I just said I haven't had anal sex, but in fact I was sodomized (amongst other things I won't go into) when I was 5 years old. Does this means I lost my virginity at age 5? I have never looked at it that way myself, but I am told that others perceive it that way. For me, I had no conception of sex at the time, as I said, and never fully understood that what happened was sex until much later.

If an adult is raped as a virgin, who does understand sex, does this imply that virginity has been lost? I've always wondered about these questions, I have to say, because they have always confused me. I guess I've answered it as far as I am concerned, but I admit to being curious as to how others perceive such issues.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 24, 2014

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I read this, and I am like, this is a person with a totally slanted view of relationships. Like, we are really obviously not getting the whole story here if we take what you're saying at face value. Does your school have a counseling centre?

Don't know yet, kind of doubt it, but I'll certainly pop by if they do. Which wouldn't be until at least september, but who's counting.

And yeah I gather this isn't the average perception. But if I stick my tongue in a sandwich press, well, I'm less likely to stick my tongue in a sandwich press a second time afterwards regardless of how much delicious melted cheese is caked onto it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

And yeah I gather this isn't the average perception. But if I stick my tongue in a sandwich press, well, I'm less likely to stick my tongue in a sandwich press a second time afterwards regardless of how much delicious melted cheese is caked onto it.

You are broken, get some help, dating girls is not like sticking your tongue on a sandwich press. Regular sandwich maybe.

Get a hobby, join some clubs, make some real-life friends.

Like, you're going to art school? Make some time for walk-in art classes, or life drawing, or whatever. Socialize a little bit, try to make some regular IRL friends, and go from there.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'll have a tuna and anchovy sandwich please.

No ketchup.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How can you not get laid at ART SCHOOL.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That's like an actual class, I think.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'm not sure what it says about me that the only woman to ever notice me was a complete lost cause, and yeah I should probably be trying to find treatment one way or another but costs are fuuuuucked.

You're also a lost cause, buddy. Maybe a broken person was attracted to you because you are also irreparably broken. Maybe she thought you were her friend trying to help her and instead you just wanted to bang it out.

Also I'd suggest sliding scale therapists as a way to get therapy but please don't talk to women until you're not worthless to them as a human.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

kaworu posted:

If an adult is raped as a virgin, who does understand sex, does this imply that virginity has been lost? I've always wondered about these questions, I have to say, because they have always confused me. I guess I've answered it as far as I am concerned, but I admit to being curious as to how others perceive such issues.

AFAIC, somebody loses their virginity in any meaningful sense of the word if they have consensual sex with somebody else. Have you been skydiving if somebody pushes you out of a plane without a parachute? Well, kind of, but not really. They are pretty alike on the face of it, but you might not claim to have "gone skydiving" if anybody asks. Rape/abuse and sex are also, on the face of it alike, but treating them the same is pretty insane.

There are all kinds of underlying assumptions of an ability to be intimate and possessing social competence (not even necessarily required) tied in with losing your virginity that make it more nuanced than just a consequence of having done or been subject to the physical act, at least on my way of looking at it.

If that seems like wishful thinking, you could always just draw the line not at having had consensual sex, but having had sex by choice, i.e. somebody who has never had sex who rapes somebody loses their virginity in the process. But then what about having sex with a braindead person or something equally macabre? I think some people would say the former counts, while the latter doesn't, despite both being non-consensual. That kind of inconsistency is why I would say mutual consent is vital to any meaningful understanding of losing virginity, because why should it differ if you have sex with an unconscious person/unwilling person if you're treating both of them like an object for your own ends?

Others just say sex under any circumstances removes it, but to me that just harkens back to quasi-religious ideas of innocence and hymens and all that junk. What even is "sex"? Sure as poo poo isn't just the penetrative act, unless all gold star lesbians are also virgins.

For those rambling and incoherent reasons, I'd say: No. You don't lose your virginity if you are raped, or if you rape somebody. Consent is paramount.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Like I get you're going for the "hot stove", but needed to be all "risk vs. reward" hence hot sandwich press, and you don't think it's worth risking getting burned again

But in this case, the "hot stove" or "scorching sandwich press" is "getting along with real-life human beings" so yeah, that's not a common perception no.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jeza posted:

AFAIC, somebody loses their virginity in any meaningful sense of the word if they have consensual sex with somebody else. Have you been skydiving if somebody pushes you out of a plane without a parachute? Well, kind of, but not really. They are pretty alike on the face of it, but you might not claim to have "gone skydiving" if anybody asks. Rape/abuse and sex are also, on the face of it alike, but treating them the same is pretty insane.

There are all kinds of underlying assumptions of an ability to be intimate and possessing social competence (not even necessarily required) tied in with losing your virginity that make it more nuanced than just a consequence of having done or been subject to the physical act, at least on my way of looking at it.

If that seems like wishful thinking, you could always just draw the line not at having had consensual sex, but having had sex by choice, i.e. somebody who has never had sex who rapes somebody loses their virginity in the process. But then what about having sex with a braindead person or something equally macabre? I think some people would say the former counts, while the latter doesn't, despite both being non-consensual. That kind of inconsistency is why I would say mutual consent is vital to any meaningful understanding of losing virginity, because why should it differ if you have sex with an unconscious person/unwilling person if you're treating both of them like an object for your own ends?

Others just say sex under any circumstances removes it, but to me that just harkens back to quasi-religious ideas of innocence and hymens and all that junk. What even is "sex"? Sure as poo poo isn't just the penetrative act, unless all gold star lesbians are also virgins.

For those rambling and incoherent reasons, I'd say: No. You don't lose your virginity if you are raped, or if you rape somebody. Consent is paramount.

Cool.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

I know it looks like a lot of words my man, but look at it this way - you write like 20 times as many posts as I do, so I gotta go big or go home

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

MonkeyforaHead posted:

outright say in their profile that if you don't have a clear and lustrous career path planned out and/or already make a six figure salary then you can gently caress right off.

These women are indeed around and you know what's true about them? They're awful, horrible people. Same as the girls who say "You must be at least 6'2 or don't message me." (unless she herself is 6'0, that's fair, but if you're 5'2, you're closing yourself out from a lot of great guys). So the thing is, don't let these girls get to you, not all women are equal, and why would you want to be with someone that shallow anyway? Beauty ain't forever and the chances of getting your face seared off by a supervillain who invents an acid ray increases as you age.

Similarly, a lot of sad sacks see everyone around them getting married and think themselves failures, but marriage isn't that special and if you talk to your married friends, you'll be surprised how often their marriages are on the rocks or how unhappy they are. Hell, in the past year alone, I've had 3 girls from my past reach out to talk about how much their husband sucks and try to start a tryst with me. So what I'm saying is, stop thinking the world around you has everything figured out. They don't. No one does.

Man this thread made me so sad, I careposted.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jeza posted:

I know it looks like a lot of words my man, but look at it this way - you write like 20 times as many posts as I do, so I gotta go big or go home

I really appreciate the post, because it was well-written and contained some really thought-provoking ideas. It's an earnest, cogent, and respectful exploration of some of the issues I was raising. I value a post like that more than a hundred boring single-line trolls. Which is unfortunately what message-board posting often degenerates into. I blame twitter.

Anyway, like I said, you made some great points. I'm still thinking about them, but of course I agree. When I had sex by mutual consent it just... it felt so incredibly different from anything else I had experienced up until that point. It seemed almost impossibly intimate and intense and emotionally present - being naked and defenseless with someone else in that way. And it's the emotional presence that makes all the difference I think, in a way... with the non-consensual sex it really *wasn't* sex. I was being done to by someone else and what I experienced had nothing to do with my own sexuality. I might as well have been a brainless automaton. Which I suppose is why I always unquestioningly considered myself a virgin.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I burned my tongue on a hot sandwich when I was a kid, so now I just don't eat anymore.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 650 days!)

Synonamess Botch posted:

I burned my tongue on a hot sandwich when I was a kid, so now I just don't eat anymore.

lol yeah

actually a pretty good analogy because it's pretty silly to blame the sandwich press for burning you when you stick your tongue in it for some reason instead of using the handles provided by the manufacturer

MonkeyforaHead posted:

:words: nobody loving cares about incoming!

Approaching 27. Trust issues. Low priority. I'd always regarded it as something I'd worry about dealing with if it ever came up. I entirely do not enjoy socializing in the ways most people seem to (bars, parties, etc.) Literally my only friends have been made online, but I've known most of them for 10+ years at this point and they're legitimately great people who are unfortunately scattered all across the states.

I got a bit derailed last year though. Summary: girl I've known a couple years is in a hell of a funk bordering suicidal. I somehow manage to plumb myself sufficiently to be properly supportive and reassuring which is the single most exhausting but fulfilling thing I've ever experienced. I'm preparing to fly over and see her through a surgery. She decides she likes me. Things heat up a bit (she moves fast). Literally 24 hours after we decide we're an item her ex (who I've known for about as long, respected and was passing friends with too) springs out of the woodwork and spends the next week harassing her to the point of hysteria while she gives me false affirmations that she's done with him while repeatedly changing her mind about whether she loves or hates him and I'm shrieking at her to just let me go which she won't... ultimately culminating in a wet fart of a public meltdown on my own part after which she decides it was all my fault and I was so overreacting and she warned me this might happen (false) and why aren't I over it already jeez just go find another date no of course she had no responsibility in this scenario whatsoever and all the soul-rending poo poo I dragged from my last vestige of earnesty was completely without point.

It really is amazing what a shitstorm can erupt from seemingly nothing.

Which leaves me glad I didn't end up pursuing anything with her, but also leaves me minus a couple friends, an IRC hangout, and pretty much my last ounce of goodwill and trust for people outside my usual circle because I'm loving sick of it being used to make me into a doormat. Funnily enough said friends of mine have had nothing but similar experiences with otherwise sweet women who upon getting close suddenly erupt into crazy, emotionally (and sometimes money-) draining bitches and discard them. The concept of intimacy now actively terrifies me. Fun fact? Psychotherapy is several standards of living above my means and specifically not covered by pretty much any workplace medical plans around here that I'm aware of.

And in response to the usual goon chorus of "just get a hooker", get hosed. Getting laid is not going to improve my self-image, fix my depression, or even register as a noteworthy life event if all I'm doing is basically masturbating with someone else's body. Call me old fashioned but I don't intend to stick my dick in anything I don't feel I might have some potential long-term compatibility with.

So there, figured I might as well get my entire e/n history out of the way in one fell swoop. Feel free to spew your usual vitriol. I can still function at work, just let me grind myself slowly into the grave with the occasional company of my friends. I'm not going through that poo poo again.

in my medical opinion you've got poisonous virgin spunk backed up in your brain and it's making you deeply weird and bad, if you're too poor to spring for the hooker at least pay a hobo $20 to jack you off

no but seriously you're deeply hosed up and emotionally retarded, in the literal sense of the word retarded and also the colloquial way. it is you sir that is the emotionally draining bitch, i feel disgusted and deflated just from reading this. i imagine that's how you make most people feel and heck you're not even trying to gently caress me. being the focus of your attention must be extremely unpleasant.

i don't say this to be mean, i take no pride in using harsh words on an adult virgin. grow the gently caress up. all of this poo poo, it's all your fault. you did that. your victim complex is nauseating.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Agreed that blocked up virg-semen is probably poisoning your well.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Why do you think you are a virgin? And how old are you?

24 years old, female. Probably because I'm shy, had and still have terrible social anxiety, and for a long time wasn't brave enough to tell guys that I liked them. I went to a very small high school that was ninety percent boys, where I was socially awkward and dressed terribly; my college was also small, and I was shy there, too. The two men I've ever approached and told them I liked them didn't like me back.

Are your hobbies/activities/etc typically "nerdy"?

Yeah, but they're not the majority of my interests. I love museums, politics, nonfiction books, cooking, make-up, and try to stay in shape. I'm not unattractive, I'd like to think, and I dress decently.

Have you ever had a girlfriend or almost "done the deed" or "sealed the deal" before? Why didn't you successfully have sex? What constitutes sex to you, for that matter?

I've had two boyfriends, but the farthest we ever got was kissing on the lips. No make-outs, none of that. It's kind of depressing. I tend to lock up and feel very afraid when someone I know is physically interested in me hugs me or talks to me. I have no idea why that's my reaction, but it is. I have a very healthy sex drive, but no opportunity to do much with it.

I've tried the online dating thing, but the guys it tends to match me with are very grognard, and I don't want to start a relationship with someone I'll never be physically attracted to.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why do you think you are a virgin? I am shy and only infrequently intrested in sex. For some reason I never even tried to hook up with anyone until I was 19. Boy did that end badly. Before it used to really bother me, but no can`t be arsed to care. Perhaps I will hire a prostitute just to get it done, but probaly I won`t. I have resigned myself to my fate. Also I am pretty sure that I have social anxiety. More than once I have panicked at parties where i didn`t know anyone.

And how old are you? 23.

Are your hobbies/activities/etc typically "nerdy"? Yes, between surfing the internet, reading history video games and fiction writing I am a nerdy dude. But I like to exercise, but not with other people.

Have you ever had a girlfriend or almost "done the deed" or "sealed the deal" before? Nope, I have flirted with people but eventually my akwardness gets the best of me. One time a girl seemed to be very in to me, but i panicked when she wanted to kiss me so I literally ran out of the room ( I was at a party). I like many young men was once into the whole PUA thing, but I quit pretty early. I only managed to embarass myself by trying to get "game".

Why didn't you successfully have sex? See above.

What constitutes sex to you, for that matter? I suppose I will consider myself a non-virgin when/if I penetrate a vagina. Ofcourse there are many other sexual acts a person can do ( and I would be up for it), but for me sex means penetrating a vagina.

What are your overall attitudes towards women in your age range? I deliberatly try to care as little as possible. I don`t ignore them tough, that would be very rude. But let`s just say I don`t go out of my way to meet women. Compared to my friends I rarely notice attractive women in the streets ( wich is not to say that I never notice them. Just less then most hetero giys).

Do you think it would be better if they were more traditionally feminine, etc? I have literally no idea. But I have always been more relaxed around men than women. So perhaps if all women behaved just like men that would have been better for me personally? Heck, I must admit to having a bit of fetish for women with visible and well toned arm muscles.

12gauge
Feb 24, 2014
sup goons

I'm 38. I've had sex before but it was almost 20 years ago, because general depression and social anxiety, I guess.

backstory: I was abused between ages 10 and 18. I was in school, people were making friends and starting to date but I had other things on my mind, so I think I just missed out on learning some things. I never got past what happened with my family. After leaving that environment I just stumbled from one job and place to another, knowing something's badly wrong and reaching out for help now and then, but never getting any. Eventually I had a full emotional breakdown, got diagnosed, got declared disabled for mental health problems. Therapists can't help and antidepressants don't work and those problems are just getting worse; at this point, it looks like all there's left to look forward to is slowly deteriorating until the end.

What's it like? Veryslightlymad described it pretty well; it's hell and you go crazy in weird ways. There's just a constant tension and ache. There's this intense feeling of alienation that I can't put into words. Sex is just a basic part of human life, isn't it? It's not part of mine. That means I'm subhuman, somehow.

There's an incredible, crushing shame. I can't even look people in the eyes. I failed to make this basic, fundamental connection with another person, so what good am I to anybody?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

change my name posted:

How can you not get laid at ART SCHOOL.

I'm not there yet!

car dance posted:

You're also a lost cause, buddy. Maybe a broken person was attracted to you because you are also irreparably broken. Maybe she thought you were her friend trying to help her and instead you just wanted to bang it out.

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

i imagine that's how you make most people feel and heck you're not even trying to gently caress me. being the focus of your attention must be extremely unpleasant.

i don't say this to be mean, i take no pride in using harsh words on an adult virgin. grow the gently caress up. all of this poo poo, it's all your fault. you did that. your victim complex is nauseating.

Reading comprehension, guys. She came onto ME, and in fact it took me a short while to accept the idea because a) that wasn't my original intent, and b) I knew there had been a thing between her and said ex and hell, I thought they were a pretty cute couple. But she spent the rest of the day reassuring me that no, he'd made his choice over a year ago and there was nothing left between them. I just wanted to make her feel appreciated, she was making me feel appreciated, and when that came out, I decided to accept the idea. If I were e/n posting about having said no, everyone would be calling me loving retarded.

The funny thing is, he knew he was doing something horrible and even said to me once during the whole process, "I'm sorry for being the world's biggest poo poo." Which doesn't really mean jack loving squat to me WHILE YOU'RE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF DOING IT.

They probably have something between each other I never could have in the first place, like I said I was glad after the fact to be rid of her. I only wanted to gently caress her after she put forward the idea of loving me, because guess what, I don't normally trust people that much, and this whole incident is EXACTLY loving WHY. I kind of put all my trust-eggs in one basket there, and it turned out to be the wrong one. Yes, I can be unpleasant to talk to about this one particular incident. Of course I feel like the loving victim, you shitheads. I got baited into an unwinnable situation and backed into a corner and then it became my fault when, failing to get out of it by all other means, went over the edge and basically had a "gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress YOU, you're cool, gently caress THIS guy in particular, I'm out" moment.

After which she still wanted to just be friends, even. Because she doesn't have very many, and her oh so precious now-BF-again is actually kind of distant, so she seeks that attention elsewhere. Yeah. To reiterate: pretty glad to be out of all that. I just really, really wish I hadn't gotten into it in the first place. Lost a lot of respect for people and myself over that week.

You want an example of being my focus of attention? Besides this, there really isn't one. But I did recently do some catching up with my lady friend from off the island, another of the people I've known from 10+ years ago, and while I was at it, for the hell of it I finally put out the question of if she'd ever date me (she was taken when I met her, which has since changed). She pretty much said no, I conceded she was probably right about that, we had a quick laugh about it, and that was that. I don't go seeking out drama. I just haven't yet met anyone else I thought was anything like my speed.

Throughout all my school years, I never once even had a crush. That's probably weird too.

pathetic little tramp posted:

These women are indeed around and you know what's true about them? They're awful, horrible people. Same as the girls who say "You must be at least 6'2 or don't message me." (unless she herself is 6'0, that's fair, but if you're 5'2, you're closing yourself out from a lot of great guys). So the thing is, don't let these girls get to you, not all women are equal, and why would you want to be with someone that shallow anyway? Beauty ain't forever and the chances of getting your face seared off by a supervillain who invents an acid ray increases as you age.

I don't! I see that poo poo in their profiles, and immediately move on to the next one. I was just saying that everyone I've seen on OKC is either not really a match at all, shallow as gently caress, or just plain bugfucking crazy. I don't even remember if any of them were pretty or not, but thanks for the laugh at your death ray analogy.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Similarly, a lot of sad sacks see everyone around them getting married and think themselves failures, but marriage isn't that special and if you talk to your married friends, you'll be surprised how often their marriages are on the rocks or how unhappy they are. Hell, in the past year alone, I've had 3 girls from my past reach out to talk about how much their husband sucks and try to start a tryst with me. So what I'm saying is, stop thinking the world around you has everything figured out. They don't. No one does.

I don't think other people have it figured out. Like I said, no successful examples in or around my life to go by. Everyone at work I hear talking about their relationships is either cheating, being cheated on, going through divorce, or just miserable in general. It doesn't make me feel like a failure. It makes me feel like I shouldn't bother BECAUSE nobody seems to have figured this poo poo out, it's all drama and the worst of people constantly coming out, it turns good friendships into smouldering craters, why would I want this? Can't I just be reserved but friendly? Do I have to be a slave to my biological drive when it is serving as literally nothing but a nagging inconvenience? I'm still debating whether a penectomy is a completely unreasonable idea. Just get that out of the way and focus on the rest of the poo poo in my life.

For posterity, since someone is probably wondering about my parents at this point: raised by a single mother from age 1 after fleeing from a severely alcoholic father. She's not as socially maladjusted as me, I have all the respect in the world for her and we get along fine, but we do both largely keep to ourselves and have a tendency to live in our heads. Apple doesn't fall too far from the tree I guess. Difference being that she's managed to make it work for her.

Canada: We're not all smiles and hockey.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 25, 2014

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

lol i wish i could've seen your big meltdown when you didn't get the pussy that was owed to you

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

lol i wish i could've seen your big meltdown when you didn't get the pussy that was owed to you

Thanks. Big help. I actually might've been able to stay the course long enough to get laid if that was my incentive but I could tell after the seventh straight day of harassment that it was not going to be a good idea, so I bailed the only way I had left. Any more smart remarks? No really, go hog wild. Someone already gave me a reasonable explanation why my good intentions may not have been a good idea, but feel free to keep trying to tear them apart.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I met my fiancé on okcupid and had many interesting encounters before her, maybe it's you and not the site?

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

you don't need it calmly and politely explained to you, you need to be slapped around a lot.

either dust yourself off and move on like an adult or just admit defeat but whatever you do don't pretend like you're a victim of circumstance and it's everybody else that's hosed up

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Are dating sites really that bad with obvious gold diggers?

Keep in mind that I'm talking about people asking for specific salaries and crap, there's enough social dysfunction in this thread that I feel a decent number of people are capable of mistaking a girl wanting to know if you're economically stable with solid life goals and a girl asking how much is in your wallet.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

FoolyCharged posted:

Keep in mind that I'm talking about people asking for specific salaries and crap, there's enough social dysfunction in this thread that I feel a decent number of people are capable of mistaking a girl wanting to know if you're economically stable with solid life goals and a girl asking how much is in your wallet.

No? I've also used Okcupid a lot and met my girlfriend on there and never met anyone like that. Crazy poly-girls who write Sherlock slash fiction (and proudly flaunt it) yes, but never anyone who was looking for money.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

FoolyCharged posted:

No, they are mostly a cross section of the normal populace. Just with guys like MonkeyforaHead dirtying the waters. And yeah pretty much, how dare a woman want to know if you're a functioning adult.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

you don't need it calmly and politely explained to you, you need to be slapped around a lot.

either dust yourself off and move on like an adult or just admit defeat but whatever you do don't pretend like you're a victim of circumstance and it's everybody else that's hosed up

Naw man I'm plenty hosed up, that much is evident. I'm just not hosed up along the same lines, which is unfortunate. Believe me I wish I could turn off the apprehension center in my brain or reconfigure my moral compass and go get shitfaced and gently caress indiscriminate chicks with the rest of the world, or adopt a universal "gently caress you, got mine" policy with complete disregard to the feelings of others. It sounds pretty rad.

Also I wasn't aware being a functional adult mandated being above the middle-class income bracket, but thanks, good to know

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 25, 2014

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

i had a girlfriend and long story short she ended up cheating on me which sucked and i felt really bad about it for a while but then i got my poo poo together emotionally and hooked up with her cuter smarter more open minded best friend and ended up marrying her and we've been in a loving awesome relationship for five years.

think about it like exp if that helps. relationship drama teaches you stuff about yourself and what you want and you level up and are able to apply those lessons to your next relationship and hopefully do better but it's a lot of hard work and requires a lot of painful examination of who you are. it's really easy to hide from who you are when you've replaced human intimacy with a bigass steam library and infinite internet porn, not so much when you are sharing your life with someone you care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Naw man I'm plenty hosed up, that much is evident. I'm just not hosed up along the same lines, which is unfortunate. Believe me I wish I could turn off the apprehension center in my brain or reconfigure my moral compass and go get shitfaced and gently caress indiscriminate chicks with the rest of the world, or adopt a universal "gently caress you, got mine" policy with complete disregard to the feelings of others. It sounds pretty rad.

just let go of all this incredibly retarded poo poo you believe and you'll be a lot happier and better off.

if people hosed indiscriminately you wouldn't be a virgin, honestly i hth

• Locked thread