Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pretty sure an inop radar on an AWACS would make it mission incapable for combat, no? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

Pretty sure an inop radar on an AWACS would make it mission incapable for combat, no? :downs:

Like I said, it depends. Does HQ need a datalink relay, even if it's only the fighter-generated data? How about radio relay since there are aircraft that don't have SATCOM capability? (granted, that's being solved). Is there actually an air war where we need to see what's happening, or is it Iraq or Afghanistan where we can literally control everything with a couple of radios and a paper map?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

iyaayas01 posted:

I've had discussions with some of the old school dudes I've worked with who were around in Desert Storm, the amount of aircraft we put in the air once every couple of years as a publicity stunt today is what they were doing on a daily basis for the duration of the war. So I think I'd agree with Godholio that initially they'd be sky high because a lot of extraneous bullshit would go away but I don't think it would be sustainable, not with our current manning and supply chain.

During Desert Storm they had state-of-the-art revetments and facilities, and the crews were fresh out of the European theater after having been drilled hard for years in regards to precision and expedience in regards to maintenance and deployment that they could've done everything in their sleep. No offense met to current crew chiefs, but the Cold War variety were drilled in a sense that in a scramble they should expect warheads to be raining down momentarily, and those were the guys who got tapped to arm and maintain those planes.

Nowadays the impetus to be decent at your job is a good EPR, not knowing that you got your planes aloft before your base got vaporized.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Speaking of the A-10

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/military-spending-cuts/pentagon-wants-cut-troops-1940-levels-ditch-10-u-2-n37086

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Third paragraph:

quote:

The plan, to be unveiled Monday afternoon, is likely to face stiff opposition on Capitol Hill, where lawmakers will battle for every troop, weapons program and dollar.

It's a strategy to get congress to throw money at them, instead of the military having to fight for every buck.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
When they teach strategy at the various military colleges in the US, you know, how to defeat an enemy. Is it the enemy on the battlefield, or the enemy sitting next to you at congressional funding hearings?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Blistex posted:

When they teach strategy at the various military colleges in the US, you know, how to defeat an enemy. Is it the enemy on the battlefield, or the enemy sitting next to you at congressional funding hearings?

The enlisted man, with his slothful and deviant ways and constant perversions

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Blistex posted:

Do you think love can bloom even in the congressional funding hearing?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Blistex posted:

One of those enemies can kill your men, the other can kill your retirement.

This documentary has some pretty nice interviews with McNamarra and a Russian pilot who dropped a bomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62x16IKGmYQ

Hope this doesn't count at :filez:

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 24, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Snowdens Secret posted:

I was going to answer "subordinates" but I was being serious.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

One of those enemies can kill your men, the other can kill your retirement.

This documentary has some pretty nice interviews with McNamarra and a Russian pilot who dropped a bomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62x16IKGmYQ

Hope this doesn't count at :filez:

This is awesome, thanks.

Also, I think it's fair game if it's on YouTube. If that gets counted as :filez: we better shut this whole poo poo down like yesterday.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Snowdens Secret posted:

For some reason I really wanted this to be a reference to something (it isn't, so thanks for this wonderful phrase), and when I put it into the googles the first result was something called "The Grand Strategy of the Reptilians" and now I can't stop laughing.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

For some reason I really wanted this to be a reference to something (it isn't, so thanks for this wonderful phrase), and when I put it into the googles the first result was something called "The Grand Strategy of the Reptilians" and now I can't stop laughing.

I literally did this same thing and it made me want to reinstall Dues Ex.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently Hagel wants to kill off the U2 for good and I assume throw more money at NGC to make block 40 global hawks.

http://breakingdefense.com/2014/02/u-2-retires-again-pay-and-benefits-slimmed-down-cruisers-cut-2015-budget-preview-by-hagel/

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Until a few days ago I hadn't even known we were using the U2 again after it's last shutdown/threat of shut down.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Plinkey posted:

So apparently Hagel wants to kill off the U2 for good and I assume throw more money at NGC to make block 40 global hawks.

http://breakingdefense.com/2014/02/u-2-retires-again-pay-and-benefits-slimmed-down-cruisers-cut-2015-budget-preview-by-hagel/

Hahahaha. For so many reasons.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Did they really justify axing the A-10's in favor of the F-35 to save money? Do they know how much money they continue to spend on the F-35?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Clearly this means it's time to roll out the U-10 :colbert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

_firehawk posted:

Did they really justify axing the A-10's in favor of the F-35 to save money? Do they know how much money they continue to spend on the F-35?

That part isn't totally insane. The F-35 costs a truckload, but the A-10 is falling apart and needs replacement parts that don't exist, AFAIK.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What exactly can the U-2 do that a drone can't?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Cost 1/3 per flight hour apparently.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alaan posted:

Cost 1/3 per flight hour apparently.

I thought the Global Hawk was down to like $10k per hour.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Land consistently

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I've been wondering something, if any of the air force goons in here knows the answer, why is it that pilots wear helmets today but didn't in World War II or Korea?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Plinkey posted:

I thought the Global Hawk was down to like $10k per hour.

Apparently one of my numbers was old on U2 cost per hour, but still slightly cheaper than Hawk. U2 is ~30,000, Hawk 33-35000. That should flip fairly soon.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mortabis posted:

I've been wondering something, if any of the air force goons in here knows the answer, why is it that pilots wear helmets today but didn't in World War II or Korea?

I'm no expert but I'd guess that it has something to do with ejection from a Mach + aircraft and trying to keep head bones together. Also Korean war pilots wore helmets.

Didn't WWII pilots wear leather helmets?

Alaan posted:

Apparently one of my numbers was old on U2 cost per hour, but still slightly cheaper than Hawk. U2 is ~30,000, Hawk 33-35000. That should flip fairly soon.

I guess I was thinking of the contractor CLS cost per hour, which is around $11k for the global hawk as of 2013.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 25, 2014

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Alaan posted:

Yes, if cost to operate is the only reason why U2s still fly. It isn't.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mortabis posted:

Hard helmets for pilots came about with the development of ejection seats. Pilots in Korea absolutely did have them. Helmets in WWII were basically just communications carriers with a place to strap an oxygen mask.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Turn academy grads into generals.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Plinkey posted:

I'm no expert but I'd guess that it has something to do with ejection from a Mach + aircraft and trying to keep head bones together. Also Korean war pilots wore helmets.

This made me remember the partial ejection of a guy at Mach 1 and made me wonder about the highest Mach ejection with a pilot that survived.

Didn't find that, but found this which is pretty :stare:

Guy survives disintegrating plane at Mach 3.18

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:stare:

http://www.military.com/video/aircraft/ejection-seats/f-15-ejection-at-supersonic-speed/1111680507001/

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

quote:

The only thing holding my leg on was an artery, the vein, the nerve, and a flap of skin.

:stonk:

Jesus CHRIST

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
He deadpans that poo poo too like it was no big thing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

McNally posted:

Hard helmets for pilots came about with the development of ejection seats. Pilots in Korea absolutely did have them. Helmets in WWII were basically just communications carriers with a place to strap an oxygen mask.

The leather helmet and glasses worn with them protected you from oil spills and headstrikes. Some of them had hardened leather strips with cushioning.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Something random for the thread: the Guardian reviews the MREs of various nations.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007
Spain's rations look like canned meat and packs of rubbers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

regarding helmets - The other important thing to remember is how far plastics came during WW2 and the years immediately afterward. The really early plastics that were coming out in the 20s and 30s, like Bakelite and Durofol, were very hard and fairly brittle. They were OK for making something like a fountain pen or the handguard for a rifle, but were prone to chipping and cracking. After the war is when you start getting plastics that were flexible enough to bend and deform rather than straight up shatter, so plastic protective gear starts to become an option.

To really see this in practice just look at the progression of headware in Football.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vahakyla posted:

The leather helmet and glasses worn with them protected you from oil spills and headstrikes. Some of them had hardened leather strips with cushioning.

Oil spills weren't as big of an issue once they moved away from open cockpits. As far as headstrikes go, most helmets didn't really offer that either. Chuck Yeager mentions in his autobiography that he modified a tanker's helmet to fit over his leather flight helmet to protect his head from bumps and knocks.

This is a Navy helmet from WWII. Just a cloth communications carrier.

This is an Air Force helmet from WWII. Place for earphones and oxygen mask.

About the only leather flight helmets I've seen that had anything that looked like reinforcement for head protection are more modern MiG flight helmets.

That ain't doin' much for you as far as side-to-side goes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shithead Deluxe posted:

Spain's rations look like canned meat and packs of rubbers.

Supposedly France's MREs are the most sought after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I can't remember what's open source so this will be general, but the answer to your question is "a lot." From a sensor standpoint the two aircraft aren't even comparable. Here's a decent article on what NG's proposals were for upgrading the Global Chicken's sensor suite to something closer to the U-2...the proposals basically boiled down to "pay us three quarters of a billion dollars to integrate the sensor suite that already works on the U-2, also that doesn't include actually procuring said sensor suite, so you would have to pull the sensors off of the U-2, where they work, onto our plane, where we can't guarantee they will."

And they wonder why we wanted to shitcan their colossal piece of poo poo.

That's not getting into the fact that it is a maintenance pig. The blue suit maintainers on it can hardly do anything (it's even worse in that respect than the Pred/Reaper), so we're beholden to a bunch of contractors to fix it, and as has been pointed out already it costs more per flight hour (although NG played some numbers games to make it look like the CPFH was down below the U-2 last year). Finally, it (like most other RPAs) is pretty weather sensitive, which is just another strike against it vs the U-2.

It's worth pointing out that everyone in the USAF (all the way up to Hostage at ACC and Welsh at the very top) wanted to keep the U-2 and get rid of both the Block 30 and Block 40 RQ-4s but NG's Congressional delegation put language in the 2014 NDAA explicitly forbidding the USAF from getting rid of it. We don't have enough money to support both the U-2 and RQ-4 sustainment (not to mention all the money we're going to have to spend to try and get it up to the U-2's standard), and since we were legally forbidden from doing anything to NG's piece of poo poo, our hands were kind of tied.

e: I used to be ambivalent on the Global Chicken vs U-2 debate but after talking with a couple of friends who work on it and getting a bit of tangential first hand experience while I was deployed, I can't stand it. That whole thing should rank up there in crookedness with KC-X as far as "people needing to go to jail" over this. NG's just smarter than Boeing about who they're paying off (it's a lot easier to stay in the clear when you get Congress to do your dirty work for you).

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 26, 2014