Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

"What are your thoughts on Michael Sam, prominent NFL GM?"

"The gay kid? Hell no. Not worth it."

"What about the ND player who just admitted to sexually assaulting a girl?"

"Well you know boys will be boys, he was put in a tough situation and tried to handle it the best way he knew how. It's not like his sexual activities hurt his ability to play football on the field."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

He said Sembo took a step in the right direction. What step was that? Admitting he was accused while still claiming he didn't do anything wrong? He had to do that, the teams already knew it was him because his team mates probably already told them during the interviews. Please point out one thing he has done that is a step in the right direction.

Admitting he was accused? Any step towards the right direction is still a step. Either way my post was more about how it probably didn't kill his draft stock.

We gotta stop letting moral issues leak through this forum. At the end of the day it's about football, not talking about how morally just we all are. I know red flag discussion is great and all but I see no point in discussing it further than "does this affect his draft stock". Anyone with a working brain can tell you raping someone is wrong, we don't need to fill up pages with that.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Doltos' commentary on all these dudes with sketchy actions in their past is always just reminding y'all that sadly NFL GMs aren't as morally offended as we are if that guy can help them win football games. This is no surprise and everyone should stop getting offended like it's actually his opinion that it shouldn't.

Nobody is offended because Doltos said he would be drafted.

People are offended because Doltos said he came clean (He didn't) and that really it's the teams fault for covering it up (Maybe partially).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SlipUp posted:

Nobody is offended because Doltos said he would be drafted.

People are offended because Doltos said he came clean (He didn't) and that really it's the teams fault for covering it up (Maybe partially).

I never said he came clean, I said he admitted to it. Maybe it was the wrong choice of words but I specifically didn't say clean because clean implies that he took fault. He said he was the one accused, which is good enough for me since that case had a lot of question marks over who was the one that sexually assaulted her.

We also shouldn't get on the habit of assigning who was the overall most at fault for poo poo like this. Everyone's at fault. The teammates that kept it quiet, Shembo for doing it, and the coaches for putting pressure on him to keep quiet. I'm just understanding why it took so long for him to come out and admit it. Pressure is a hell of a thing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Doltos posted:

Admitting he was accused? Any step towards the right direction is still a step. Either way my post was more about how it probably didn't kill his draft stock.

We gotta stop letting moral issues leak through this forum. At the end of the day it's about football, not talking about how morally just we all are. I know red flag discussion is great and all but I see no point in discussing it further than "does this affect his draft stock". Anyone with a working brain can tell you raping someone is wrong, we don't need to fill up pages with that.

We aren't all robots who would happily cheer for an unapologetic rapist just because he's good at a sport

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Doltos posted:

Yeah rather than highlighting the necessity of change and education in a sport filled with homophobia and an atmosphere which lets violent sexual offenders get paid millions, better to just leave all that TFF SJW Brigade stuff to the side. I mean sure, Darren Sharper raped all those women but

Spalding
Jul 24, 2005
Does anyone expect Cousins to be moved at the draft?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

We aren't all robots who would happily cheer for an unapologetic rapist just because he's good at a sport

Oh Christ shut up. I'm not cheering for a god damned rapist either and it doesn't put me on a moral high ground. I know how passionate you are about not being a dumb football fan but it brings absolutely no discussion to a thread like this besides a circle jerk.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Yeah rather than highlighting the necessity of change and education in a sport filled with homophobia and an atmosphere which lets violent sexual offenders get paid millions, better to just leave all that TFF SJW Brigade stuff to the side. I mean sure, Darren Sharper raped all those women but

Go on, tackle moral injustices by posting on a forum about football. You sure are changing all those minds of people who by the large agree with you already.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spalding posted:

Not if the Redskins are smart

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spalding posted:

Yes. Mallett is also a guy who could get shipped.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

Oh Christ shut up. I'm not cheering for a god damned rapist either and it doesn't put me on a moral high ground. I know how passionate you are about not being a dumb football fan but it brings absolutely no discussion to a thread like this besides a circle jerk.

By saying we should ignore the terrible things a player does and only discuss football you're implicitly saying that those terrible things don't matter as long as the player is good.

Doltos posted:

Go on, tackle moral injustices by posting on a forum about football. You sure are changing all those minds of people who by the large agree with you already.

:lol: So any time you talk about what scouts should look at instead of the crap they do look at we should tell you to shut up because you're not changing their minds

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't think GMs ignore rape allegations either, that seems like a made up thing. It might not necessarily be due to morality reasons but they probably don't like getting tons of 'why did you draft a rapist' questions or 'that rapist sure is rising up the depth chart huh'.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Not if the Redskins are smart

The Redskins aren't smart. That's why they'll get offered a 2nd from the Texans and be like naaaah.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Goetta posted:

I don't think GMs ignore rape allegations either, that seems like a made up thing. It might not necessarily be due to morality reasons, but they probably don't like getting tons of 'why did you draft a rapist' questions or 'that rapist sure is rising up the depth chart huh'.

Any GM afraid to draft a rapist is just some SJW weiner

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Volkerball posted:

The Redskins aren't smart. That's why they'll get offered a 2nd from the Texans and be like naaaah.

Thank you for saving the Texans from themselves, hypothetical Redskins FO

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Goetta posted:

I don't think GMs ignore rape allegations either, that seems like a made up thing. It might not necessarily be due to morality reasons, but they probably don't like getting tons of 'why did you draft a rapist' questions or 'that rapist sure is rising up the depth chart huh'.

Didn't stop Perrish Cox.

Intruder posted:

By saying we should ignore the terrible things a player does and only discuss football you're implicitly saying that those terrible things don't matter as long as the player is good.

No I'm really not. Not at all. In fact you even implying that is you just trying to push your own agenda. I said that posting about it here doesn't bring anything productive around but a circle jerk of everyone comparing how compassionate they are about hating a rapist. God damned right I loving hate rapists and I hope Shembo gets the poo poo beaten out of him for what he did to that girl. Unfortunately the present day NFL forgives most of this poo poo if you're good at football.

You and I can't change that by posting about it here, so loving quit it already.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Doltos posted:

I never said he came clean, I said he admitted to it. Maybe it was the wrong choice of words but I specifically didn't say clean because clean implies that he took fault. He said he was the one accused, which is good enough for me since that case had a lot of question marks over who was the one that sexually assaulted her.

We also shouldn't get on the habit of assigning who was the overall most at fault for poo poo like this. Everyone's at fault. The teammates that kept it quiet, Shembo for doing it, and the coaches for putting pressure on him to keep quiet. I'm just understanding why it took so long for him to come out and admit it. Pressure is a hell of a thing.

Just to get this out of the way, coming clean=admission. Him admitting other people are accusing him is only acknowledging the perception around you. You could say that and still maintain your innocence. (Which he is doing.) Admitting to a crime is taking fault for it, admitting you are accused of a crime is not taking fault so even if you wanted to limit this to a discussion of red flags you'd be wrong.

Maybe the reason him and everyone at the program is at fault is because everyone looked at the situation and thought to themselves "Football is the really important issue here" which allowed a culture to be formed that created this situation.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Goetta posted:

I don't think GMs ignore rape allegations either, that seems like a made up thing. It might not necessarily be due to morality reasons but they probably don't like getting tons of 'why did you draft a rapist' questions or 'that rapist sure is rising up the depth chart huh'.

Well it depends. For example, Bill Parcells drafted Christian Peter in 1996, after he had known to have raped at least three women and been convicted of various lesser offenses 8 times including grabbing a woman by the throat in a bar a month before the draft. The next day, the firestorm of media reports had Kraft force Parcells to cut Peters which is pretty much considered the event that got Parcells to leave for an owner that wouldn't meddle with his team.

Christian Peter went to play for 6 seasons with three other teams and was elected to the Nebraska football hall of fame. Story over, no moral!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Well it depends. For example, Bill Parcells drafted Christian Peter in 1996, after he had known to have raped at least three women and been convicted of various lesser offenses 8 times including grabbing a woman by the throat in a bar a month before the draft. The next day, the firestorm of media reports had Kraft force Parcells to cut Peters which is pretty much considered the event that got Parcells to leave for an owner that wouldn't meddle with his team.

Christian Peter went to play for 6 seasons with three other teams and was elected to the Nebraska football hall of fame. Story over, no moral!

What the gently caress is with Nebraska football

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Goetta posted:

That team was hosed up.

Jason Peter was addicted to maybe heroin, definitely pain killers when he was drafted by the panthers.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Goetta posted:

Student Body Left Sweep, Student Body Right Sweep, Student Body Rug Sweep

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Anyway, yeah. Enough with the rape chat in here. Spin it off to a thread if we need to all viciously agree with each other some more.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Goetta posted:

Tom Osbourne was a great man who won a lot of football games and was then elected to congress because he was a great man, also he was great

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Goetta posted:

Lawrence Phillips wasn't kicked off the team

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Groucho Marxist posted:

Lawrence Phillips wasn't kicked off the team

Standard Nebraska fan response: "Yeah he was lovely but oh man he was amazing to watch"

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

Standard Nebraska fan response: "Yeah he was lovely but oh man he was amazing to watch"

One time a Nebraska fan here defended Tom Osborne's decision to keep LP on the team by citing Tom Osborne's autobiography.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Peter King says the Lions will take Taylor Lewan at 10.

I'm laughing hard.

Speaking of which Taylor Lewan is a piece of poo poo like Shembo.

Lewan's buddy and roommate at Michigan raped a girl, then Lewan called her and threatened to rape her again himself if she didn't drop the charges.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

Yes. Mallett is also a guy who could get shipped.

Shipping Mallett across state lines seems like something that should be a federal crime

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

He got to 17, right? I know it's not good but is it that terrible for someone who was likely previously going in the middle rounds?

Sam also ran an incredibly slow time which doesn't bode well for him. He's a late round prospect who hasn't helped his stock any at the combine. Middle rounds seems like an unlikely spot for him but he will be good 6th or 7th fodder because of intangibles. He lacks the measured attributes people want but his football IQ and tape should help him get a shot as a project somewhere.

The fact he always played bigger, faster and stronger than he measures against the competition (and a lot of them would become/are future NFL players) in college is what counts.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rasczak posted:

Shipping Mallett across state lines seems like something that should be a federal crime

I was actually thinking of a shipping Mallett through UPS joke when I posted that.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Doltos posted:

I was actually thinking of a shipping Mallett through UPS joke when I posted that.

Belichick rues the day Lombardi was fired because the odds of him getting that second first rounder from the Browns for Mallett went from "not bad!" to "no loving chance in hell"

Who else besides the Lombardi Browns are/were interested in Mallett?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
It's too bad Lewan didn't come out last year, he would have been a perfect fit in Miami

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We had a void in our "overrated offensive tackle from michigan who is a piece of poo poo" last year so it woulda fit

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Jumping in kinda late here but I have to ask: what is the evidence against this kid that has you all so convinced he raped her?

This is my first time hearing of this at all.

E: I'm not being an apologist. I'd just really like to know a quick set of facts that determines he's def guilty.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

John Brown posted:

Jumping in kinda late here but I have to ask: what is the evidence against this kid that has you all so convinced he raped her?

E: I'm not being an apologist. I'd just really like to know a quick set of facts that determines he's def guilty.

Declan's link does a great job breaking it down. The big problem is that we will never now because the school covered it all up and harassed the victim until she took her own life. Even if the girl was a liar (which is a ridiculous assumption) Notre Dame did every single thing wrong they could, and they did it in a malicious manner.

Declan MacManus posted:

There have been a ton of articles about it; here is a good one if you insist on reliving the gory details http://ncronline.org/news/accountability/reported-sexual-assault-notre-dame-campus-leaves-more-questions-answers

But in a nutshell everything about the case was botched and mismanaged

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

John Brown posted:

He kind of made it sound like he tried to brake off a thing he had going with an older girl when he was a freshman and she then made this accusation. The school body then turned on her and she killed herself.

It's a weird and sad situation because regardless whether he did it or not, the girl still did kill herself which is terrible.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think he was talking about Lewan? Or maybe not

e: Oh right, Lewan didn't actually rape, he threatened (allegedly)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I swear to God if I see one more post about rape in this thread I'm going to start posting about WR depth.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

I swear to God if I see one more post about rape in this thread I'm going to start posting about WR depth.

do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it.

Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Doltos posted:

I swear to God if I see one more post about rape in this thread I'm going to start posting.

Do it

• Locked thread