Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
On the coverage of the PT they hinted that something would be announced soon regarding LSV and coverage. Was something revealed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

JerryLee posted:

Also Nefarious Lich was at least part of an awesome, if tier 3 or so combo deck.

I played the Nefarious Lich combo deck back during Invasion/Odyssey standard :smug:

It was this awful G/W/B contraption with the kill being sacrificing 7+ lands to Overgrown Estate to draw 20+ cards, then pitch them all to Sickening Dreams to kill my opponent. I actually won with it at FNM!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Jorath posted:

On the coverage of the PT they hinted that something would be announced soon regarding LSV and coverage. Was something revealed?

Which day did you hear this? LSV did commentary for Day 3, maybe that's what they meant if you heard it on Day 2.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I play a lich/ad naseum combo deck that involves drawing my whole deck, doing 3 rituals, then swapping life totals.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I play a lich/ad naseum combo deck that involves drawing my whole deck, doing 3 rituals, then swapping life totals.

All this lich talk really makes me want to make a mono black devotion oriented combo deck in EDH.

Go go Erebos.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I want to make a Transcendence + Lich combo deck in EDH but it's kinda really fragile since you lose the game when someone destroys your Lich :(

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

JerryLee posted:

What do you mean by acknowledged? They've talked about them as examples of good top-down design. There have been other Lich cards playing off the same ideas, including at least one as recent as Alara block. Anything in particular you're looking for?

I agree, it'd be cool to have more "literally turns your game wizard self into a monster" things.

Just this, really. There are plenty of interesting cards that don't get spotlighted; acknowledging them makes me think maybe we can get more one day.

Maybe Huey block focuses on them. :v:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Which day did you hear this? LSV did commentary for Day 3, maybe that's what they meant if you heard it on Day 2.

No, LSV was there when it was said, I heard it too, but can't remember what day. They said they were a little away from talking about it I think though.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Rich Hagon said it, and he was talking about European coverage. LSV is probably going to a European event some time soon to do coverage instead of playing.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Had a funny game against uw yesterday. He was a bit over zealous with his control cards and ended up decking himself while I was busy seeing 7 or so lands in a row. Remember to leave in your elixir folks!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

clamiam45 posted:

How odd it must be to be on the verge of tears describing yourself as physically ill during your $20,000 runner-up award ceremony.

It's a pressure packed situation with a lot on the line. PT winners now automatically get Platinum, which are guaranteed PT invites and an estimated $30,000 in hotel/airfare/appearance fees. His reaction was not odd at all.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Ojetor posted:

It was during the finals, sometime after game 1.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

AnacondaHL posted:

It's a pressure packed situation with a lot on the line. PT winners now automatically get Platinum, which are guaranteed PT invites and an estimated $30,000 in hotel/airfare/appearance fees. His reaction was not odd at all.

I guess I just come from somewhere $20,000 means more than it does to him. Also I think he only needs like 10 more pro points for platinum anyway.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

clamiam45 posted:

I guess I just come from somewhere $20,000 means more than it does to him. Also I think he only needs like 10 more pro points for platinum anyway.

I don't think it's fair to judge him for how he felt right after he lost. Nobody dreams about getting second, they dream about top 8 and about winning and it's hard to blame somebody for feeling bummed out when they came so close to reaching their goal and end up falling short.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

Yeah $20,000 isn't anything to scoff at, but compared to the first place prize and platinum status, its chump change. Beyond that, you don't get to this level of competition focused on the prize, you are focused on the win, on having your efforts recognized. And in the end to be found naught but second best, has to be a harsh pill to swallow.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

dokomoy posted:

dreams about getting second, they dream about top 8 and about winning and it's hard to blame somebody for feeling bummed out when they came so close to reaching their goal and end up falling short.

Prime example of this would be the us women's hockey team's expressions when they lost the final hockey match of the Olympics in overtime. They won silver but if you looked at them you'd think someone had just run over their cat. Nobody enjoys coming up second when they've worked so hard to get to that elite level.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

dokomoy posted:

I don't think it's fair to judge him for how he felt right after he lost. Nobody dreams about getting second, they dream about top 8 and about winning and it's hard to blame somebody for feeling bummed out when they came so close to reaching their goal and end up falling short.

Still, only one person gets to be the winner. If you get to the finals of a large tournament and feel entitled to win just by getting there, and act like a baby if you don't win after doing better than all but one other entrant, you have kind of a poo poo attitude, sorry to say it.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Still, only one person gets to be the winner. If you get to the finals of a large tournament and feel entitled to win just by getting there, and act like a baby if you don't win after doing better than all but one other entrant, you have kind of a poo poo attitude, sorry to say it.

I don't think it's fair to judge someone's emotional response right after losing a big match. Ask him again in a few days.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Good thing he didn't do any of this, but thanks for explaining it.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Did you watch the awards ceremony? He put on a brave face, took his trophy, smiled for the pictures, mentioned that he feels sick and that once the shock of losing wears off he'll be proud of how far he got, then promptly leaves. He acts extremely professionally when I imagine he probably feels like he got kicked in the gut. For an 18 year old he handled that with a surprising amount of grace.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

With a post like this you'd think he was saying nice things about the people of Spain beforehand.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kabanaw posted:

Did you watch the awards ceremony? He put on a brave face, took his trophy, smiled for the pictures, mentioned that he feels sick and that once the shock of losing wears off he'll be proud of how far he got, then promptly leaves. He acts extremely professionally when I imagine he probably feels like he got kicked in the gut. For an 18 year old he handled that with a surprising amount of grace.

Might also be stage fright.

Which he handled pretty well if it was, seeing how I'd probably be falling over myself if I was in his position.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If you can't connect with the emotions a person feels when they get close to accomplishing something that means something to them and they fall short then I feel bad for you because you must have lived an incredibly timid and unadventurous life.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Haha, you're a shithead.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The only appropriate response to second place at a Magic tournament is ritual suicide.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Many moons ago in highschool we lost the state championship football game in overtime by what ammounted to, one yard. I saw guy who benched 400 pounds crying and vomiting from pure emotional drainage. This is for 20 grand, I would probably been much worse off then this guy, and I am drat near 40.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

whydirt posted:

The only appropriate response to second place at a Magic tournament is ritual suicide.

Seppeku is only allowed during L5R tournaments!

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I cry when I go 1-4 at fnm, there's no way I could keep it together in the finals of the pro tour.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

End of Life Guy posted:

I cry when I go 1-4 at fnm, there's no way I could keep it together in the finals of the pro tour.

I actually got visibly upset when I got Nailed with The Legendary BTE BTE BTE Nykthos into Spew once.

After the match I put all my stuff in my bag and took a nap for the remaining 45 minutes. :sigh:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

whydirt posted:

Add [B][B][B] to your mana pool.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Just started up playing competitive again and got trounced at FNM on firday. Most everyone there is playing R/G or R/W. My mazes end deck is just too slow/janky to really be effective. Any thought on what deck would give me my best matchups? Would a fast agro deck ( rdw, burn, sligh ) give me a better matchup? I don't quite want to dump $300 on a tier 1 deck right now, but its looking like I may just have to do it.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Nissir posted:

Many moons ago in highschool we lost the state championship football game in overtime by what ammounted to, one yard. I saw guy who benched 400 pounds crying and vomiting from pure emotional drainage. This is for 20 grand, I would probably been much worse off then this guy, and I am drat near 40.

Seriously, he's 18, any judgment on his behavior should be done with that in mind. That's a ton of pressure for someone who is still a kid in many ways.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

jhorphear posted:

Just started up playing competitive again and got trounced at FNM on firday. Most everyone there is playing R/G or R/W. My mazes end deck is just too slow/janky to really be effective. Any thought on what deck would give me my best matchups? Would a fast agro deck ( rdw, burn, sligh ) give me a better matchup? I don't quite want to dump $300 on a tier 1 deck right now, but its looking like I may just have to do it.

R/G or R/W are going to give a creature based aggro strategy big problems. You could pick up the guts of a Mono Black Dev deck. If you skip on the Mutavaults and Thoughtseizes, the deck's only expensive cards are Pack Rat/Specter/Desecration Demon, all of them under 10 dollars. The piles of removal will do you wonders for the creature dependant R/G and R/W strategies.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

jhorphear posted:

We have a deck building thread, so post your list in there with the caveat that you're not too interested in blowing a ton of money, and I'm sure people will help you out.

Budget options these days are Rakdos aggro (this can use the Born event deck as a good base, if you have literally none of the cards for it) and goon darling MURDERGOATS, which will set you back probably about $100, less if you skimp on the manabase.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

jhorphear posted:

Assuming you're playing Fog Maze's End, you should have a pretty good matchup vs. both of those. You generally want to take the early damage and build up your fogs for later when it matters. My favorite thing ever: attack with Gatekeepers, cast Aetherize, cast Verdict, recast Gatekeepers. Profit!

My list is here if you want to check it out. It's basically worthless, and you probably already have most of the parts for it. So far, I definitely like the Coursers and might go up to 3 if I can be bothered to dig my 3rd one out of my trade binder. I'll probably add a Sphinx's Revelation or 2 over the Opportunities - they're basically the same thing at 6 mana anyway, but with life gain.

http://deckbox.org/sets/551747

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jhorphear posted:

You may have better luck in this thread

I don't know your meta but locally by me there is a lot of W/U Heroic going around with good success.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm excited for the few weeks before everyone realizes that Courser of Kruphix is a expend-all-resource, "kill on sight" threat on par with a Planeswalker.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Ok, thanks, ill head over to the deck building thread.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

I'm excited for the few weeks before everyone realizes that Courser of Kruphix is a expend-all-resource, "kill on sight" threat on par with a Planeswalker.

Which makes it nice that it's not efficiently killed by one of the most common kill spells in modern. 2/4 :getin:. Also pathing it after it gets to play a land (without passing priority, etc) seems like pretty bad feel bads too but that's a turn later than just dropping the courser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jhorphear posted:

My area is flooded with r/g stuff as well. I only lost once at fnm last week using a very fast burn deck that only has 12 creatures, 4 of which are satyr firedancer. My only loss was during the third round of a set when my opponent dropped his single ruric thar on the table and I didn't draw anything to deal with it in time. I think the main reason I did well was because I outsped the monsters by keeping manadorks dead early and my sideboard is full of control, the only other two red decks were a devotion and a midrange red deck a new guy was running. It's not an expensive deck either, if you want to give it a shot: http://deckbox.org/sets/592950

The only expensive cards are the chandra planeswalkers and the sacred foundries. You could take the chandras out, though they were a huge help to me when I played them. Taking the white out is possible I guess, but boros charm and warleader helix are kinda too good to do without. Chain to rocks on sideboard saved me from monsters a few times, mizzium mortars for blood barons and stormbreath dragons.

You might also try making a mono-white aggro which can be done for relatively cheap, assuming you dont try to add any Brimaz. Same goes for selesnya aggro. My fiancee did well with the selesnya token deck thats in my decklists there, and it's missing voice of resurgence because it was made on more of a budget.

• Locked thread