Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

So this must be purely penetrative thrusting right? Cause if that includes foreplay then America is one dry country so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Poizen Jam posted:

So this must be purely penetrative thrusting right? Cause if that includes foreplay then America is one dry country so to speak.

Go to the source, it clearly states that the map does not include foreplay.

Edit: And a quote from the article:

quote:

Besides, previous research has shown that, despite the hubbub about hours-long tantric sessions, intercourse itself usually only lasts for about 3 to 13 minutes.

3peat
May 6, 2010

http://admixturemap.paintmychromosomes.com/

MY ANCESTORS BUILT THE PYRAMIDS :D

Sulla
May 10, 2008

So Brazil's more likely to suffer a coup than Turkey, Iran and Mexico? About as likely as Venezuela and the Ukraine? :crossarms:

Sulla fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 22, 2014

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
And what's with Germany?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sulla posted:

So Brazil's more likely to suffer a coup than Turkey, Iran and Mexico? About as likely as Venezuela and the Ukraine? :crossarms:

Numerical Anxiety posted:

And what's with Germany?

The person who made that map said "These forecasts are estimates based on noisy data, so they are highly imprecise, and small differences are not terribly meaningful. The fact that one country lands a few notches higher or lower than other on an ordered list does not imply a significant difference in risk."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
How wrong is your timezone?

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You can really see the Somalis in the Twin Cities.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Shbobdb posted:

You can really see the Somalis in the Twin Cities.

Also the Hmongs. The Twin Cities have the largest population of Hmongs anywhere in the world outside Laos.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I like how every college town is a small pink dot for Chinese speakers. That's certainly been my experience in the Big Ten.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

Also the Hmongs. The Twin Cities have the largest population of Hmongs anywhere in the world outside Laos.

That must be the white dot around Merced.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Didn't know there were still that many Polish speakers in Chicago. I'd also like to meet these German speakers in southeastern Wisconsin where I grew up.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

re: coup map

Libya should really be the darkest colour. They're almost in the middle of a slow moving coup as it is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kavak posted:

That must be the white dot around Merced.

I think the big white dot is Frenso, Merced is at the tail of the other smaller white dots like Modesto and Stockon.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think the big white dot is Frenso, Merced is at the tail of the other smaller white dots like Modesto and Stockon.

I think I see it. The French in the North Bay is more interesting- I guess that's people learning French or coming from France because of the wine country. Except that's Marin instead of Napa/Sonoma, so I dunno what the heck.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 24, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Well the map also defines as "greatest after english and spanish" and it's filled in if it's a census designated metro area, not if there are a lot of speakers. This means in some parts of the country 2 people might cause the map to be colored while LA probably has a half a million Chinese speakers to get it's color on the map.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
Wonder what the dot of Arabic is on the north coast of California? It's probably the whitest place i've ever lived.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Didn't know there were still that many Polish speakers in Chicago.

Second largest Polish city in the world! Chicago has fewer Poles than Warsaw, and more Poles than any other city in Poland.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Man that map would be so cool to me as a linguistics nerd, but I'm too colorblind to enjoy it. The French Creole, Polish, Portuguese, Korean and Tagalog all look the same color to me, as do Other, Italian, Vietnamese and Russian.

Wouldn't there be a nice, non-color-based way to make a map like this?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Louisiana is all French, but Florida is French Creole? I would have expected to see French Creole in Louisiana but maybe I am making assumptions about things I don't actually understand?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

Man that map would be so cool to me as a linguistics nerd, but I'm too colorblind to enjoy it. The French Creole, Polish, Portuguese, Korean and Tagalog all look the same color to me, as do Other, Italian, Vietnamese and Russian.

Wouldn't there be a nice, non-color-based way to make a map like this?

Individual greyscale maps for each Language would be your best bet but that would take up a lot of space.

Knockknees posted:

Louisiana is all French, but Florida is French Creole? I would have expected to see French Creole in Louisiana but maybe I am making assumptions about things I don't actually understand?

Probably most of it in Louisiana is actual French Settlers and also Acadians, whereas Florida is Haitian Immigrants.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Knockknees posted:

Haitians. Central and South Florida have large Haitian populations and they're treated like second class citizens by everybody (especially the Cuban community for some weird reason).

I was more surprised to see that Florida had such a large German population. I had no idea the German retirees were that prevalent in this area, but then again I do see a lot of people wearing socks and sandals...

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Second largest Polish city in the world! Chicago has fewer Poles than Warsaw, and more Poles than any other city in Poland.

New York has since surpassed Chicago, though Chicago still has far more people who descended from Poles and since assimilated, and the Polish population makes up a bigger chunk of the population

http://voicesofny.org/2012/02/new-york-dethrones-chicago-as-the-largest-polish-city-outside-of-warsaw/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What's up with all the French across the Southeast? Louisiana I'm not surprised by, obviously, but it looks like there's a lot of blue in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Tennessee. I've lived in this area nearly my whole life and I haven't met very many French speakers.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Emanuel Collective posted:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

New York has since surpassed Chicago, though Chicago still has far more people who descended from Poles and since assimilated, and the Polish population makes up a bigger chunk of the population

http://voicesofny.org/2012/02/new-york-dethrones-chicago-as-the-largest-polish-city-outside-of-warsaw/

Based on your link, and this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Poland there are at least 43 cities with more Poles in Poland than are in NYC or Chicago.

EDIT: Ok, if you include anyone of Polish descent then it works. But I would argue a 4th generation Pole who doesn't speak the language shouldn't be counted when saying there are more Poles in Chicago than Krakow.

Old James fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 24, 2014

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Melbourne Australia is the city with the 3rd largest Greek speaking population after Athens and Thessalonika.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Now you've all got me curious; whats the city with the largest number of immigrant Americans?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Barudak posted:

Now you've all got me curious; whats the city with the largest number of immigrant Americans?

I place my bet on something like Korea or Japan.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Disco Infiva posted:

I place my bet on something like Korea or Japan.

Wouldn't Canada or the UK be safer bets?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Googling suggests that American emigration is an incredibly poorly tracked statistic but the country with the most is Mexico followed by Canada.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

I think I see it. The French in the North Bay is more interesting- I guess that's people learning French or coming from France because of the wine country. Except that's Marin instead of Napa/Sonoma, so I dunno what the heck.

Rich white people who learn French in school. That's all Marin is, really.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Barudak posted:

I'd put money on London or Tokyo, for well-to-do expats at least. Dunno what outflow of low-income families there is from the US, if any. It's hard to emigrate if you're poor.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

I'd put money on London or Tokyo, for well-to-do expats at least. Dunno what outflow of low-income families there is from the US, if any. It's hard to emigrate if you're poor.

Well-to-do expats are way down in Tokyo post financial crisis because Lehman went under, and even now financial companies are cutting their Tokyo offices and shifting to Singapore and Hong Kong.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In Europe it's probably London, Paris and Berlin, maybe Brussels. In East Asia I get the impression that Seoul has a lot of Americans.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

I would imagine a fair percentage of expats in Mexico are retirees trying to stretch their fixed incomes.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I would actually guess Philippines for highest % American expats. The problem with London and other first-world cities, you've basically limited it to rich people, at least as far as Americans moving there. Mexico'd be high because it's cheap, but has some real downsides too. Further in recent years things haven't been so great down Mexico Way. The Philippines, meanwhile, is a former US possession that still has a large active military presence/cooperation, has a lot of English speakers, and is pretty cheap cost-of-living-wise, especially for someone with American dollars to spend.

Basically in my head the country with the highest % American expats is going to be significantly poorer than America, have English as a major language, have been a former British or American possession with current strong military/economic ties, and would allow Americans (or anyone at all) to own land/housing.

EDIT: Of course, depending on definitions for "American Expats" wouldn't Liberia have a helluva case too?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

chairface posted:

EDIT: Of course, depending on definitions for "American Expats" wouldn't Liberia have a helluva case too?

By the same standard we count people as Irish Americans or African Americans, yeah why not? Since they dominated the local politics and didn't immigrate too much outside Monrovia, I'd imagine, Monrovia might just be the city with most American-descended people outside America.

They apparently are considered a distinct ethnic group:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americo-Liberians

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

From
http://www.hiik.de/de/downloads/data/downloads_2013/ConflictBarometer2013.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I assume New Zealand is too war torn to even be on the map.