Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Eddain posted:

Yeah, instead of killing people he just puts them under incredible debt from hospital bills and maybe even a lifetime of disability.

Yep! But that's still preferable to killing them. In absence of a boxing glove arrow, this is about the best you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Eddain posted:

Yeah, instead of killing people he just puts them under incredible debt from hospital bills and maybe even a lifetime of disability.

Roy healed up pretty quick. He was running pretty well before he even got the MIRAKURUKUHAIRUKU injection.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eddain posted:

Real world american is indistinguishable from a comic book world to foreigners so its probably not a big deal.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Eddain posted:

Those people would certainly have killed him in an instant if they got the chance. Perhaps they didn't know they were working for someone evil, but Oliver can hardly sit down with them and have a chat about morals.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Lol - That's right. Green arrow ends up killing that guy at the end of the episode anyway - because gently caress courts! We goin' all Zimmerman on that mugfug!

One of the bad guys even says "He put X amount of my men in the hospital!"

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
I think that the key here is that vigilante justice, while entertaining to watch on television, in the real world has ramifications that make it an untenable solution to crime. Do you think that anyone would be able to successfully try a serial killer or a mob boss in a court of law if they just showed up on hogtied on the police's doorstep with a note from Batman? Better to just work to improve the failings of the criminal justice system than patrol the streets at night in a costume.

One thing I would like to see though, is a costumed vigilante crimefighter that doesn't kill anyone or try to arrest them, but instead just burns down warehouses full of the badguy's drugs and cash.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't remember seeing Captain Planet punch too many people. Robin Hood I don't think killed too many people, more just he stole all their poo poo.

The term is, what, the Myth of Redemptive Violence or something. That one idea has a lot of normal comics held back in terms of character development and interesting plots.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

I think that the key here is that vigilante justice, while entertaining to watch on television, in the real world has ramifications that make it an untenable solution to crime. Do you think that anyone would be able to successfully try a serial killer or a mob boss in a court of law if they just showed up on hogtied on the police's doorstep with a note from Batman? Better to just work to improve the failings of the criminal justice system than patrol the streets at night in a costume.

One thing I would like to see though, is a costumed vigilante crimefighter that doesn't kill anyone or try to arrest them, but instead just burns down warehouses full of the badguy's drugs and cash.

Have you by chance read The Long Halloween ?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Plus, all the cops left would have quit and moved to bumfuck Oregon by now. How many of them and FEMA have died?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

I think that the key here is that vigilante justice, while entertaining to watch on television, in the real world has ramifications that make it an untenable solution to crime.

Thank god Arrow is a television show.

But seriously dude, read Dennis O'Neil's The Question. It's about a man who fights crime via a combination of martial arts and zen Buddhism, with very little success because crime has complicated socio-economic causes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Plus, all the cops left would have quit and moved to bumfuck Oregon by now. How many of them and FEMA have died?

I don't have an exact count but if as many police officers and government officials died in a single city as Starling there would probably be a entire office building or two worth of FBI, Secret Service, and a few NSA/CIA agents thrown in for good measure there by now.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

King of Solomon posted:

Yep! But that's still preferable to killing them. In absence of a boxing glove arrow, this is about the best you can do.

I won't take Ollie's no-kill pledge seriously until he goes full boxing glove arrow.

Deathstroke actually succeeds, has Ollie completely beaten, and is about to go through with his promise of putting an arrow through Ollie's eye. But Ollie doesn't carry sharp ones anymore. Bam. Ending.

edit: I've since added Deathstroke to my autocomplete to prevent myself from failing this city in the future.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 25, 2014

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Has anyone ever noticed that during the first season, Green Arrow would regularly infiltrate bad guy hangout du jour and straight up murder the hapless, work-a-day thugs that are probably only there due to desperation and poor life choices, while letting the wealthy mastermind off with a stern warning?

There was an episode where the DA gets the Arrow to infiltrate some crime boss's estate and plant a recording device, so they can gather evidence and try the crime boss all above board and legal. So the Arrow sneaks onto the grounds, assassinates all of the crime boss's guards, and then plants a bug so the bad guy can then be tried according to due process of law(???). At this point I would point out that if you have money, you can legally hire armed security guards from legitimate companies like Securitas and First Response Systems - and you don't even have to be a criminal mastermind with nefarious plans.

Then they introduce the evil black archer(Merlyn)and you're supposed to know he is E-V-I-L because you see him hunting down 3 of the unrepentant rich assholes who Green Arrow had previously let go, and putting some feathers in their chests. Three. Meanwhile in the previously mentioned episode, Green Arrow murders at least 12 guys on screen, who could have essentially been mall cops for all he knew.
Yeah, this was always terrible to me. He killed about 50 Diggles.

And was totes cool with letting his evil mum get away with shooting him and all kinds, and his sister get away with drug (?) driving.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

re: First season killing people. Have you finished the first season/gotten to the second? It's a primary plot point. It's even in the opening for season 2.

Sorry if this is considered a spoiler.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

boom boom boom posted:

Thank god Arrow is a television show.

But seriously dude, read Dennis O'Neil's The Question. It's about a man who fights crime via a combination of martial arts and zen Buddhism, with very little success because crime has complicated socio-economic causes.

In a city that made Gothem look like Metropolis. The hero cop was a former corrupt cop and he was the best they were going to get. Also a mayor that Rob Ford wishes he could be.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

King of Solomon posted:

If they weren't dead, why aren't they all screaming "OH GOD MY ARM!!! THE HOOD IS HERE YOU GUYS!!!!"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've got a bunch of comic-reading friends who really dislike that the Arrow's killing policy is so flexible.

Me? I like it. It's almost like a tip of the hat to realism, that even if you try and only disable thugs you're still going to need to kill to stay alive every now and then. It's messy and complex, which is a rarity for a genre that usually treats Killing or No Killing as a binary choice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No killing policies in general are loving stupid. I get why they do it in comic books where they are trying to explore the nature of heroism but how many lives would Batman have saved by icing his rogue's gallery on the first offense? A no-kill policy that has exceptions under extreme circumstances makes more sense to me. I'm glad they didn't have Ollie undergo some huge emotional crisis after he killed the Count, he was just like, "ha, like I'm going to let some dude murder Felicity, I'm over it."

IRL I'm extremely anti death penalty but we also don't have Basically Hitlers constantly breaking out of jail to go on yet another murder spree.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

zoux posted:

No killing policies in general are loving stupid. I get why they do it in comic books where they are trying to explore the nature of heroism but how many lives would Batman have saved by icing his rogue's gallery on the first offense? A no-kill policy that has exceptions under extreme circumstances makes more sense to me. I'm glad they didn't have Ollie undergo some huge emotional crisis after he killed the Count, he was just like, "ha, like I'm going to let some dude murder Felicity, I'm over it."

Yeah, I don't want to get into a big comic nerd debate up in here but that's one thing that's always bothered me about Batman- especially Bale's Batman. He would have saved thousands upon thousands of lives by simply killing Joker but nope, let's just throw him in Arkham the least secure asylum in all the universe so he can escape fifty million times.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the majority of comic book heroes and their moral codes were developed during a time when society largely did see crime issues in black and white. They were also typically targeted towards children & preteens, who are infamously incapable of gray-area thought. Therefore, "I'm the Batman, the Good Guy, so I'm not killing anyone no matter how evil!" would make perfect sense to them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Captain Mog posted:

Yeah, I don't want to get into a big comic nerd debate up in here but that's one thing that's always bothered me about Batman- especially Bale's Batman. He would have saved thousands upon thousands of lives by simply killing Joker but nope, let's just throw him in Arkham the least secure asylum in all the universe so he can escape fifty million times.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the majority of comic book heroes and their moral codes were developed during a time when society largely did see crime issues in black and white. They were also typically targeted towards children & preteens, who are infamously incapable of gray-area thought. Therefore, "I'm the Batman, the Good Guy, so I'm not killing anyone no matter how evil!" would make perfect sense to them.

You also had the comic code when they could not kill. Before the code, Batman and Superman did kill but due to the seduction of the innocent comics had to be in black and white.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Captain Mog posted:

Nothing in the Dark Knight trilogy showed Arkham as the revolving door it is in comics. Everyone Batman put away stayed in jail until Bane broke em out. Joker in those films killed a few cops, a judge, and Rachel, but mostly gangsters and other criminals. He threatened but failed to kill a few hundred folks on boats.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Also hard to maintain a well known rogue gallery when your hero keeps killing them all.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
From Facebook:
Stephen Amell
Facebook. Let me bend your ear for a moment. I realize this is the internet and everything gets blown out of proportion, but I think we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. Basically... I think some people have a tendency to try and extrapolate a deeper meaning or hidden agenda from almost everything I post. I'm not that clever. I have no agenda on the page beyond interacting with people who enjoy our show or whatever other venture I might be involving myself in. I'm not biased in any way shape or form. I don't have any rooting interests. I'm just a regular dude who runs his own page. If it seems like some of my posts are opinionated, that's because most pages with this size of community are boring on purpose because they're run by PR companies. So... if something on this page bothers you, tough sh*t. I'm not going to apologize because, I didn't do it on purpose. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to keep dominating Monday. xo

Have to say I love his honesty. He definitely wears his heart on his sleeve.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've got a bunch of comic-reading friends who really dislike that the Arrow's killing policy is so flexible.

Me? I like it. It's almost like a tip of the hat to realism, that even if you try and only disable thugs you're still going to need to kill to stay alive every now and then. It's messy and complex, which is a rarity for a genre that usually treats Killing or No Killing as a binary choice.

At risk for comic chat - Mike Grell's GA had him kill people. It's also an awesome comic.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SpannerX posted:

Have to say I love his honesty. He definitely wears his heart on his sleeve.

I follow him on FB because I like what he has to say. It every time I want to press "like" or make a relevant comment, I see the wet-pantied, poorly misspelled, grammatically toxic drek people post to him and decide I don't want to even swim in that sewer. Fans are creepy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

In comics there's a no kill policy because they usually want long running villains to sell more comics with, not some mook who dies of an infection ( or bleeds out from the femoral) from an arrow shot to the leg. It's basically the Terminator against villains: in 4 movies and a tv show the only main plot characters Terminators have killed is Derek and Kyle Reese. That's two kills in over 1700 minutes of film. Ollie's body count in the first season alone? Over 40.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Party Plane Jones posted:

In comics there's a no kill policy because they usually want long running villains to sell more comics with, not some mook who dies of an infection ( or bleeds out from the femoral) from an arrow shot to the leg. It's basically the Terminator against villains: in 4 movies and a tv show the only main plot characters Terminators have killed is Derek and Kyle Reese. That's two kills in over 1700 minutes of film. Ollie's body count in the first season alone? Over 40.

Wait, so you're comparing the main plot characters in Terminator to no nothings in Arrow? Seems legit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Wait, so you're comparing the main plot characters in Terminator to no nothings in Arrow? Seems legit.

Major villains killed per season considering Malcolm is still alive and not counting flashbacks? The Count is pretty much the only one I can recall offhand. Ollie is a terminator of nobodies.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 25, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Major villains killed per season considering Malcolm is still alive and not counting flashbacks? The Count is pretty much the only one I can recall offhand.

Maybe Barrowman is a ghost. :tinfoil: One might say he is a gentlemanly ghost.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Major villains killed per season considering Malcolm is still alive and not counting flashbacks? The Count is pretty much the only one I can recall offhand.

He killed The Mayor, didn't he?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

The Mayor.

The Mayor was captured by cops and killed by Blood wasn't he?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Major villains killed per season considering Malcolm is still alive and not counting flashbacks? The Count is pretty much the only one I can recall offhand. Ollie is a terminator of nobodies.

Ollie kills a lot of guys that could have become recurring easily, like Drakon, Firefly, and Brutale.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

jscolon2.0 posted:

Ollie kills a lot of guys that could have become recurring easily, like Drakon, Firefly, and Brutale.

Who the poo poo are those people? Buncha no name sonsofbitches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Drifter posted:

Who the poo poo are those people? Buncha no name sonsofbitches.

Drakkon was a recurring villain in the comics the show has been heavily based on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Drakkon was a recurring villain in the comics the show has been heavily based on.

You're not helping me. That's one of the least helpful answers you could have given. Who are these people? Does he wear a lion rug as a cape? Have hand lasers, what?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Drifter posted:

You're not helping me. That's one of the least helpful answers you could have given. Who are these people? Does he wear a lion rug as a cape? Have hand lasers, what?

He's the one with the wheelchair and the mohawk.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Firefly committed suicide.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Drakon was that nobody the evil businessman hired to protect him in the pilot episode. He had a tattoo or something on his face.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I never understand the "why doesn't Batman just kill the joker" complaints because surely this argument could also apply to literally every policeman and Arkham doctor who ends up having access to the Joker while he's under confinement. Gotham could have the death penalty and execute him (this is badly explored in at least one batman comic) which at least would distribute culpability. If the democratic population arguably doesn't want to execute the Joker, what right does Batman have to? Hell, I could probably put together an argument for killing all sorts of people based on consequentialism but nobody blames me for not killing all kinds of people I theoretically could.

Batman does what the police and other institutions of society would like to do but lack the capability - breaking up the mob, saving people from murderers, etc. He usually doesn't overstep those bounds too much because his focus is saving and protecting, not killing anyone who might be a future threat. For (great) vigilante justice go read Punisher.

Edit: I wonder if this is a perspective thing coming from outside the US where in the developed world the death penalty is unimaginably repulsive to most people. I don't think Batman should kill anyone, that's why he has super training etc rather than just a glock and a billion dollars to spend on lawyers.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I found it funny of all people Oliver didn't kill was the psychopath murdering women by pouring liquid cement into them.

• Locked thread