Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Agh, I love this game (and freaking love 2017) but playing co-op with a Wing Diver sucks rear end.

I'm playing couch co-op (with polo-rican who posted above) with him as a Wing Diver and I as a Ranger. It took us a few levels to realize that whoever picks up the item is who gets it. Which sucks since the wing diver is so much faster at collecting items then any other class. So, he kept getting super fun weapons while I got squat.

Also, each level felt like I was constantly out of range of enemies while the Wing Diver shot them all before I could get to them.

So, now we both play as Wing Divers...I love the class but it completely changes the game.

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Apple Jax posted:

Agh, I love this game (and freaking love 2017) but playing co-op with a Wing Diver sucks rear end.

I'm playing couch co-op (with polo-rican who posted above) with him as a Wing Diver and I as a Ranger. It took us a few levels to realize that whoever picks up the item is who gets it. Which sucks since the wing diver is so much faster at collecting items then any other class. So, he kept getting super fun weapons while I got squat.

Also, I each level felt like I was constantly out of range of enemies while the Wing Diver shot them all before I could get to them.

So, now we both play as Wing Divers...I love the class but it completely changes the game.

So what you're saying is in co-op if I pick up a weapon crate as a Fencer, it will always be a Fencer weapon and if my wife picks up something as a Ranger, it's a Ranger weapon? Makes sense why we have such lopsided drops sometimes.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Levantine posted:

So what you're saying is in co-op if I pick up a weapon crate as a Fencer, it will always be a Fencer weapon and if my wife picks up something as a Ranger, it's a Ranger weapon? Makes sense why we have such lopsided drops sometimes.

Yes. And it sucks.

It's hard enough to collect the items before a level is over, but when we were playing as different classes it made picking them up even more annoying and stupid. Which is why we now play as the same class which sorta feels lame since I really wanted to be a Ranger in the first place.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo Helbeast posted:

Does anybody have the Japanese weapon list handy? I can't seem to find it.
This wiki has a full weapon list divided up by character, is that what you mean?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Reflector and Jackhammer.

I'm definitely going to try this because I really wanted to find a use for the Jackhammer since it's absolutely loving hilarious.

Apple Jax posted:

Also, each level felt like I was constantly out of range of enemies while the Wing Diver shot them all before I could get to them.

Are you sure about this? It feels like as a career Fencer player I'd basically never get any loot if this was the case. I play with a lot of Wing Divers and always get a bunch of weapons after missions.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Kanos posted:

Are you sure about this? It feels like as a career Fencer player I'd basically never get any loot if this was the case. I play with a lot of Wing Divers and always get a bunch of weapons after missions.

I was going to repeat this, loot definitely seems shared in online. Maybe local co-op is different however.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kanos posted:

I'm definitely going to try this because I really wanted to find a use for the Jackhammer since it's absolutely loving hilarious.

I have tried and tried to replace the basic jackhammer with beefier weapons but it's just too good despite its lower damage. I can jump into the middle of some of the most chaotic bug piles and as long as I activate my shield and spin in a circle while holding down the Jackhammer trigger, I never die. Any damage I do take is healed by all the health that rains on my head while I'm doing it.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Kanos posted:

They are talking about couch co-op, not online.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Kanos posted:

Online drops are handled differently than split screen. It's for anti-farming.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Kanos posted:

Maybe it's only on couch co-op? We haven't tested it too much but we noticed that on two levels where I didn't pick up anything and the Wing Diver picked up all the items it resulted in no items for me. And, when I did end up picking up an item or two, that I'd literally only get one or two items for my class.

Could have been poo poo luck I suppose, but it's something we noticed after playing 14 levels.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008
We tried with a friend to let only one person pick all the weapons in different stages, and sometimes a weapon for the other player would appear on the list. No idea how much it would happen, something like 5 or 10% at most.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
So is there any trick to handling dragons? I finally beat the game on normal as a Wing Diver, and those guys were by far the hardest thing for me to deal with.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Silvergun1000 posted:

So is there any trick to handling dragons? I finally beat the game on normal as a Wing Diver, and those guys were by far the hardest thing for me to deal with.
Really? I found that basically any of the Wing Diver's short range weapons ruined them, especially the laser chainsaw. They seem completely unable to deal with you when you're flying and will just crash into the ground, and you can laser them.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

This wiki has a full weapon list divided up by character, is that what you mean?

Yes this was exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Silvergun1000 posted:

Dunno about Normal but if you start going through on Hard the laser chainsaw makes quick work of them. Just get a groove strafing and never stop firing. The chainsaw stunlocks enemies and stops them from firing at you so you can often stun 3-4 at a time as you cut through large groups. I use the lightning sniper D to take as many out as possible from afar as well.

e: Oh that's right it's probably high up enough that you can use the laser chainsaw even on normal. yeah it would loving decimate them there, dude.

e2: just checked and the laser chainsaw's too high for normal for most dragon maps.

e3 THREE loving EDITS:: I strongly suggest everyone avoids spoilers for this game, it's literally the only time I've ever cared about such a thing because the reveals are so great.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 24, 2014

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I just punch dragons in the face.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I went with the vulcan hammer for them and it as the only time where the game ran at 1 FPS when I hit a cluster.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I think I see my problem, a complete lack of laser chainsaws. I spent pretty much the whole back half of the game with a long range and medium range laser rifle, and that worked great except in the aforementioned example. Never even tried a lance, guess I should probably branch out a bit.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Silvergun1000 posted:

I think I see my problem, a complete lack of laser chainsaws. I spent pretty much the whole back half of the game with a long range and medium range laser rifle, and that worked great except in the aforementioned example. Never even tried a lance, guess I should probably branch out a bit.

:stare: Try some of the laser / close range weapons

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Silvergun1000 posted:

I just posted on the last page how the laser lance is hilariously overpowered (if you get the upgraded one to drop). Ten quick shots of 400 damage will wreck most anything and I rely on it way too much. I'm hoping I get another upgrade for lategame Normal, but 400 damage for a lvl 5 weapon is pretty nuts.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Knightmare posted:

I just posted on the last page how the laser lance is hilariously overpowered (if you get the upgraded one to drop). Ten quick shots of 400 damage will wreck most anything and I rely on it way too much. I'm hoping I get another upgrade for lategame Normal, but 400 damage for a lvl 5 weapon is pretty nuts.

Yeah, I saw that. I guess my problem was that I assumed it was really short range like the rapier, and my MO has been to use my mobility to stay at range and use my sniper rifle to kill stuff like Hectors, then use the medium ranged rifle to allow me to fight at range while reserving almost all my energy for flying. Worked really well except for the one enemy I listed above.

It sounds like I should do some hard now and get some new toys.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
:stare: The sky really does attack you, this game is bananas.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Well. That didn't take long. Second online game and a pubbie dropped a artillery strike as soon as we spawned. :suicide:

The full-body-throw described grenades are hilarious. When you get done setting the arc and where it's going to land, your dude does a little run up and tosses a innocent looking grenade down the street with a big ol' yell. You see it zip away and land in the middle of the oncoming horde...

Then it explodes and bugs go flying everywhere as well as a few buildings that crumble to the ground.

And that's just the level 0 version. :stare:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I love this game's online system so much. The d-pad chatting is fantastic, as is the ability to quickly restart the mission at any time / chat with the people in the lobby from in-game. Also the frivolous room names.

Carefree Speedy descriptor always.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
LARG-W3 weapon description : "[...]but comes with increased concern over accidental civilian strikes."

Really ? And no mentions of that in the description of any of my other planet buster weapons ?

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Anyone else try tossing turrets on Vehicles? So far the ones I have tried on my tanks are amazing. They travel with your vehicle as you go along shooting anything they lock onto. Makes killing things laughably easy.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

rawdog pozfail posted:

I love this game's online system so much. The d-pad chatting is fantastic, as is the ability to quickly restart the mission at any time / chat with the people in the lobby from in-game. Also the frivolous room names.

Carefree Speedy descriptor always.

Agreed, although I do wish there was a progress indicator somewhere when joining a lobby while people are in-mission. Maybe something like a mission timer to see how long they've been in a mission, so we can judge the wait time. Otherwise you're waiting for 0-10 minutes, then at 10+ minutes you don't really want to leave as they "should" be finishing soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What level is the Laser Chainsaw, and where can I get it?

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Level 25 and I got it maybe 1/3rd or halfway through hard mode.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

limited posted:

Well. That didn't take long. Second online game and a pubbie dropped a artillery strike as soon as we spawned. :suicide:

The full-body-throw described grenades are hilarious. When you get done setting the arc and where it's going to land, your dude does a little run up and tosses a innocent looking grenade down the street with a big ol' yell. You see it zip away and land in the middle of the oncoming horde...

Then it explodes and bugs go flying everywhere as well as a few buildings that crumble to the ground.

And that's just the level 0 version. :stare:

Yeah, I keep going back to that every so often even though I'm only just past Mothership. My first outing with it was against the first showing of the ant hills (My brain was wondering if that level structure was inspired by the first level of IA just from the bridge leading up to even MORE spawn hills.). Things were going great until one brave Ant wandered up into my face at the end of my throw. Oh dear.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh wow, hadn't realized how hard they nerfed Rapiers in the new one. The original EDF2 Rapier hits as hard as your M3 Rapier and the new Master Rapier barely does more damage than the old Rapier G.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Knightmare posted:

Agreed, although I do wish there was a progress indicator somewhere when joining a lobby while people are in-mission. Maybe something like a mission timer to see how long they've been in a mission, so we can judge the wait time. Otherwise you're waiting for 0-10 minutes, then at 10+ minutes you don't really want to leave as they "should" be finishing soon.

Yeah, I always desperately spam chat messages when people join to see if they'll stick around and respond, at which point I back out to the lobby. There are still so many people who just join and instantly leave though, an indicator like you mentioned would go a long way towards fixing that.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"...What does 'swallowed whole' mean?"

:stare:

E: Well that was disappointing. And annoying. And awful. The Earth Eaters themselves are dumb, since they're just dropships that don't move. Those tripod things, though? Those suck butt. Like, hope you brought a long-range weapon and have boatloads of health, because these things will stab you for about 200 damage and will adjust mid-stab so you can't roll away. Enjoy!

This is what I get for going back and playing single player instead of just continuing multi. I have no ideas how Fencers deal with 90% of these stages. All their decent options are short-range...

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 24, 2014

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone know of a full vehicle list?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think I missed a voiceover in the chaos- What do you call the slow vehicles that drop from Earth Eaters and shoot purple lasers?.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ChibiSoma posted:

"...What does 'swallowed whole' mean?"

:stare:

E: Well that was disappointing. And annoying. And awful. The Earth Eaters themselves are dumb, since they're just dropships that don't move. Those tripod things, though? Those suck butt. Like, hope you brought a long-range weapon and have boatloads of health, because these things will stab you for about 200 damage and will adjust mid-stab so you can't roll away. Enjoy!

This is what I get for going back and playing single player instead of just continuing multi. I have no ideas how Fencers deal with 90% of these stages. All their decent options are short-range...

Fencer is the high technical class, you really have to try with him and figure out the tricks and poo poo. For ranged, I always favor dual hand-cannons for massive, massive damage at a decent rate of fire. Two NC102's carried me through half of Normal and then half of Hard.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

You can pick the good Fencers apart online by how well they dash cancel (if they even know how) and if they can fight at range even with close combat weapons.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I had a game where one didn't even use his melee attack at all even though he was using the javelin catapult to dash everywhere. He was the only one left and decided that retreating was better than using the spine driver :downs:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Heads up, mission 45 is a great inferno grinding level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I still cannot believe how much fun this dumb game is. And all the little touches like the Voice Acting and even the simple user interface. This is the closest I've ever come to recreating my childhood imagination when I used to fight my GI Joes against my Transformers and DinoRiders. If having a "next-gen" version basically means the exact same level of graphics but with even more aliens/bigger stages then Sandlot have already won at videogames.