Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Kuvo posted:

Have the patch notes for 2.2 been released yet?

Nope, but various Live Letters have talked about the some of the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is there a single item alchemists can make en masse to level up that doesn't sell on the open market at a near total loss?

Just wondering. I got all other crafting skills except armorer up to 50, thinking about doing alchemist now for the free 15 CP, but dunno if it will be worth it for awhile if it's like a strict money sink. At least all the other crafting skills basically paid for themselves.

Buy ALC items for cheap and use them to spam leves. As Kyrosiris said, HQ Natron gives a ton of EXP relative to when you can do the leve for it, and you can get HQ stuff relatively cheap for it. This has been an invaluable resource for my crafting ventures.

I've been spoiled by doing ALC and CUL first since it's cheap to spam leves on them to the point where you might actually make a profit from them, even if you do the ones where you go to a different place. Now I'm finishing up Goldsmith, and it felt pretty weird to actually craft to level a crafting class for once.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

jwang posted:

I disagree, AF for WHM in XIV is way better than the condom hat deal we had in XI. The Blessed Briault set was pretty rad though, and had some kickass stats to go with it. The only downside to the XIV WHM set is the pants, and those are easily hidden with the robe.
The robe you get five levels after the pants?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Feenix posted:

Just saw best MMO name ever.

Cinnabon Jovi

We have Cerebral Ballsy on Excalibur, that's still the contest winner IMO.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mo0 posted:

On my very first day (within about an hour of joining I think) on Cerberus I walked past a Roe called Willy Tickle.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Bilbo Swaggins always gives me a good chuckle

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
PBCs own Hail Satan and Sharia Law have allays made me laugh

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I'm enjoying the ps4 beta so far. People don't party up much and the party finder is disabled apparently.

There's a lot of short quests which is good for soloing, but what do you do when you're partying? Just do lots of quests in a row?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

PhilippAchtel posted:

I'm enjoying the ps4 beta so far. People don't party up much and the party finder is disabled apparently.

There's a lot of short quests which is good for soloing, but what do you do when you're partying? Just do lots of quests in a row?

Duty Finder? Not disabled. I used it yesterday and today.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I don't know what the duty finder is, but the party finder under social says "that command is not available at this time."

Actually the duty finder gives the same message.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I just git the lvl 20 cap with my gladiator and holy crap there's still SO much I want to do, loving this so far.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

You don't get access to the duty finder till you progress the main story to level 15 or something, the party finder might be locked behind story progression also.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mo0 posted:

Nope. Winner is still Esuna Matata who I saw on launch day.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nope. Winner is still Esuna Matata who I saw on launch day.

It means no status ailments for the rest of your days. Yes, it's pretty good.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Does the game stay pretty controller friendly if I just wanted to play through the story and other non serious business?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What the hell are these midget doll people supposed to be and how does one progress so far in the pugilist's guild?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

sassassin posted:

What the hell are these midget doll people supposed to be and how does one progress so far in the pugilist's guild?

Lalafell. Japan likes it's cutesy bullshit, that's pretty much all there is to it. Be glad Square is classy enough to make them all but genderless and not go the TERA route.

As for how one would progress, FF14 doesn't give a poo poo about realism. You may have noticed every character model except Highlanders has porcelain skin and fuckall muscle mass.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

hamsystem posted:

Does the game stay pretty controller friendly if I just wanted to play through the story and other non serious business?

You can complete the hardest content in this game with a controller. Arguably easier on certain jobs/roles, but definitely doable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lalafell. Japan likes it's cutesy bullshit, that's pretty much all there is to it. Be glad Square is classy enough to make them all but genderless and not go the TERA route.

As for how one would progress, FF14 doesn't give a poo poo about realism. You may have noticed every character model except Highlanders has porcelain skin and fuckall muscle mass.

My Highlander pugilist has good traps but tiny, pathetic glutes. Clearly never done a squat in his life. I'm embarrassed for the dude.

The pink hair, face tattoo and eyeshadow makes up for it a little, though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It seems like half the time they subvert the Lalafells being generic cute buggers thing. Like I swear to god 70% of all the Lalafells in the story are kinda badasses.

Much like how some guilds are definitely not led by the kind of race you'd expect (Hello there Redolent Rose.)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

There are instanced dungeons that you unlock and must complete to continue once you progress the story quest to level 15. The game uses the word "Duty" to mean instance, so Duty Finder will be what you use to get randomly matched with people to do those with.

Party Finder lets you post and browse parties forming up without random matching. It's mostly used for extreme primal battles and raids, since people usually ask for higher than minimum gear, or post asking for other experienced people or looking for others to learn the fight with.

For now, focus on your story quests (the ones with the meteor icon) and class quests from you class trainer, with some sidequests if you're not levelling fast enough to keep with the story. You'll eventually be led to doing group and instanced content this way.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

It seems like half the time they subvert the Lalafells being generic cute buggers thing. Like I swear to god 70% of all the Lalafells in the story are kinda badasses.

Much like how some guilds are definitely not led by the kind of race you'd expect (Hello there Redolent Rose.)

Don't forget that the other 30% are either pervs or casanovas of some sort. Lalafells are far from the innocent kiddy image they project.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

It let me in after refreshing 3 times, found this amusing though. How does the coding even allow for a negative queue?? :aaaaa:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
:siren: Reminder to fresh Level 50s: :siren:

Talk to Jonathas in Old Gridania (Apkallu Falls) after finishing your class hunting log for an iLvl 55 ring with stats pertaining to relevant jobs. Given that the iLvl 60 rings are now an even bigger pain in the rear end to get, they match well with the appropriate Darklight ring.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Mo0 posted:

Nah, best name on Excal is Boykisser Menlover.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Varance posted:

(words about hunting log)

I'm about to hit 50 and.... I'm supposed to do hunting logs? :aaaaa: I probably should do the guildhests as well since they open in succession... :cripes:
It also seems that DGKK is rather inactive during reasonable times for euros (noticed just 20 now as I logged off for the night when I finally found a member - Funny as it felt like I constantly saw the tags in the world while leveling as a lowbie). So I suppose PBC is the right choice. Why I didn't register earlier and join the guild, I dunno, I guess I'm a masochist?

Honestly, the thing about PUG'ing in this game that gets to me is the complete inability to bitch behind people who are terrible. Judging by some posts in this thread, the strict fashion with how SQE seems to moderate people's behaviour really makes you reconsider saying anything slightly nasty even if it's warranted in party chat. Finding a decent person within a party and complaining how terrible the rest of the group is a large part of an enjoyable PUG'ing experience. :colbert: If I understand correctly, whispers are completely disabled during duty finder? I imagine FC chat and linkshells work, though?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Doing 10 levels of a hunting log is usually enough to get you a free level or two when you're in the same level range. You should do them. :)

Edit: You will also be required to unlock Guildhests through level 35 for the 2.1 main questline. You also get bonus XP the first time you do each one.

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 25, 2014

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Dessel posted:

If I understand correctly, whispers are completely disabled during duty finder? I imagine FC chat and linkshells work, though?

Yes. Keep in mind instances take place amongst multiple worlds - players from every world in the Primal data center (the data center Excalibur is in) can end up in an instance with each other. Because of that, when you're in an instance, you're not on "your world," you are instead in Another World (which is how you show up in the Friend List and Free Company/Linkshell lists when in an instance). Because of that, you can't send tells to people on your server and you also aren't allowed to send tells to other people in the same instance (that one makes somewhat less sense, but whatever).

As a special case, linkshell and free company chat will continue to work but you can't bring up the free company and linkshell UIs and if you disconnect and reconnect to the instance, you won't have your FC buffs.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Servers are hosed.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
We have been running coil since like, September as a static of 8. In that time, we have never, not once, seen allagan feet of aiming (which is best in slot for bards) drop despite having turn 4 down pat for months.

Not 30 minutes ago we breezed through turn 4 and finally, finally saw a pair of the bard feet drop from the chests. We had exactly 5 seconds of cheering our bard and telling him to lot it before the entire server literally kicked everyone in an instance out of the game.

The feet were still in the treasure pool. They are gone.

I feel so bad our bard. Just hearing him react to that over voice chat after it happens? God, that was horrible.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

seannykun posted:

Nah, best name on Excal is Boykisser Menlover.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen Courtship Dating lately?

GiantDutchman
Dec 14, 2013
Server's seem ok. If you're getting a message when trying to log in that there are several thousand people in queue just cancel and try again.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

GiantDutchman posted:

Server's seem ok. If you're getting a message when trying to log in that there are several thousand people in queue just cancel and try again.

Nope, everyone in a duty got dced twice while I was on, now I can't even get back in, it dcs during the load.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

It's because the game just released on Steam for 15usd and there's an increased load on the servers. My best guess.

GiantDutchman
Dec 14, 2013
Ouch, that sucks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I should probably be glad this disconnect stopped a Toto-Rak run short :shobon:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Meiteron posted:

We have been running coil since like, September as a static of 8. In that time, we have never, not once, seen allagan feet of aiming (which is best in slot for bards) drop despite having turn 4 down pat for months.

Not 30 minutes ago we breezed through turn 4 and finally, finally saw a pair of the bard feet drop from the chests. We had exactly 5 seconds of cheering our bard and telling him to lot it before the entire server literally kicked everyone in an instance out of the game.

The feet were still in the treasure pool. They are gone.

I feel so bad our bard. Just hearing him react to that over voice chat after it happens? God, that was horrible.

Tell him to equip some darklight armor pieces and they'll drop again next week.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Servers are good again!

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Pews posted:

It let me in after refreshing 3 times, found this amusing though. How does the coding even allow for a negative queue?? :aaaaa:

I've been seeing this on and off since 2.1. Like you said, and regardless if it's a positive or negative number, click on Cancel and try again. At most it takes me 3 tries to get in.

It's a weird dumb bug that they should probably fix because it doesn't make the best impression on new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tactical Lesbian posted:

It's because the game just released on Steam for 15usd and there's an increased load on the servers. My best guess.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Current 4,206 Peak 7,439 FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

If just shy of 7500 players overloads servers like this...

• Locked thread