Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Fedule posted:

Is there actually a way to not die to that? I always just wrote it off as "welp, time to burn another Phoenix Down". Can you perfect guard it or something?

Meteor's damage is reduced solely by guard defense. Its really telling you: hey kill this monster before he fucks you up. He'll keep going until he summons 15 meteors at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Got to the Wildlands boss. What a dick! Didn't help that the dungeon before him is bullshit with your hp slowly draining. I had to waste several items that could've better been saved for the boss. He basically spams mega combos then ridiculous elemental bullshit attacks and I run out of healing items before I can win. I also wasted all my EP on Chronostasis like an idiot.

Luckily I saved before the temple so I can just start it over and be better prepared for the random encounters to preserve my health. gently caress those apes. I run from them and basically only fight the flan dudes. This time I'll equip a 50% fire protection accessory and the blizzard+ garb.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I exterminated the apes before I went into the temple because they are assholes without a chocobuddy to back you up. (Unfortunately this turned out to be a bad idea, as they're the sole source of thunderaga besides a few chests).

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Didn't help that the dungeon before him is bullshit with your hp slowly draining.
Mediguard.

The drain is slow, so being able to restore some HP in battle while you're waiting for your ATB to regen makes a huge difference. It works really well with spells that take a while to complete - I'd throw off a couple Elementas, then mediguard until they killed the enemy. Was usually good for 500 - 1K HP or so.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Mediguard.

The drain is slow, so being able to restore some HP in battle while you're waiting for your ATB to regen makes a huge difference. It works really well with spells that take a while to complete - I'd throw off a couple Elementas, then mediguard until they killed the enemy. Was usually good for 500 - 1K HP or so.

Good idea. Does it stack with regen? Because I have Shard Blades on 2/3 of my schematas. But I suck so bad I was still running out of hp!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Mediguard.

What enemies drop Mediguard? Is there a list of drops anywhere online?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So apparently if you end Day 1 in the Warrens, you can warp back there at the beginning of Day 2, letting you get the most irritating of the 4 Luxerion main quest numbers right away.

RoboJoe posted:

I've got an actual game question this time: How do I not suck?

I read the OP but I can't really find the help I need there (unless I'm just dumb, sorry).

To clarify this, I'm on the second day, it's gone midnight and I'm off trying to get the Shadow Hunter. I went into the Graveyard and some winged flying demon things are doing something like half my life bar in a single attack. I was doing okay against most enemies up until this point, the ones in the starting city and few in other locations I poked around a little like the Wildlands and Yusnaan (even the guys in the city there were quite difficult), but then these flying things turn up. I ran away from the flying demons because I reloaded as I couldn't kill them (and I also ran away from some huge monster things in the same area) and progressed to the next part of this quest line.

Now I'm fighting some robed dudes in the next part and these guys are being killed fine, but I get the Shadow Hunter and he UTTERLY destroys me so I don't even know what to do anymore.

Expanded questions:
As it's gone midnight on the second day I can't really go anywhere else, as I have to finish this quest on this night, or have I misunderstood?

What are some schemata I should be using at this point?

Can I buy new abilities for my schemata or only wait for them to drop and use the sorcery place to make them better?

I find it difficult to see and know when to block attacks, is there a good kind of tell for when you actually block? I know some attacks have their name displayed but it seems it could be multiple seconds before it hits and I'm standing there blocking doing very little.

Sorry for these simple questions, but I read through the thread trying to find advice but it seems most of the talk is about more endgame things and I'm trying to avoid reading the spoilers, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at the start :shobon: I realise I could restart the game on Easy mode but I don't really want to do that, I feel I'm just missing some fundamental things rather than needing to go to a lower difficulty. (Maybe I do actually suck at this game and should restart.)

Nearly every named attack is going to have a several second delay to allow you to switch to a defensive schema, so don't feel the need to start blocking right away. Of course, some give less time than others, like the aero spells from those Gaunts you were having trouble with. Also, in case the OP didn't make it clear, you can do "perfect timing" attacks in addition to blocks- if you press the attack button for an attack in a combo just as the previous attack is hitting (physical) or being launched (magical), you get a chime noise and do extra damage. It can be tricky to get the hang of, but every bit of extra damage helps.

I'd definitely suggest picking up Passion Rouge early from the outfitter right outside the Dead Dunes station- it comes with Deprotect and Deshell at level 2, which is great for early on. When you get those spells elsewhere, Quiet Guardian is probably the better defensive/debuff schema, but until then use Passion Rouge.

And I do suggest people restart on Easy if they're feeling pressured or overwhelmed by the time limit or battles. Battles can still be a challenge until you've gotten the hang of things. And your health doesn't instantly refill after battle like in XIII/-2, it just slowly regenerates, so if you're getting beaten up you still can't run around picking fights and just brute-forcing it.

But the double EP you get really does make the time limit even less of a factor. I've glanced at FAQs a bit, but I've done nearly everything by the end of Day 4. If you bother to use Chronostasis every now and then on Easy mode, you really have all the time you want to explore your surroundings. I imagine I'll have every quest done and almost every monster extinct by day 6, with 7 or 8 days of nothing to do.

Edit:

J-Spot posted:

What enemies drop Mediguard? Is there a list of drops anywhere online?

Here's a bestiary:
http://www.trueachievements.com/walkthroughpage.aspx?pageid=5998

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Good idea. Does it stack with regen? Because I have Shard Blades on 2/3 of my schematas. But I suck so bad I was still running out of hp!

Yes, I believe it does stack with regen.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Yes, I believe it does stack with regen.

Do people usually put all their magic on one schemata, all their physical attacks on another, and have the third all defense? Or mix it up? There's that accessory that reduces attack to nothing but protects against almost all damage , should I throw that on Paladin with mediguard for healing?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do people usually put all their magic on one schemata, all their physical attacks on another, and have the third all defense? Or mix it up? There's that accessory that reduces attack to nothing but protects against almost all damage , should I throw that on Paladin with mediguard for healing?

It's best to have dedicated schemata. You don't gain any benefit from mix and matching.

And yes, that accessory is insanely good. On certain Garbs it can literally make you immune to all physical damage.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Can someone tell me what is the deal with Whirlwind Kick? Some people are swearing up and down that it's like totally amazing but it just seems to do not a great deal of damage and have a fancy animation. Am I missing something?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

It's best to have dedicated schemata. You don't gain any benefit from mix and matching.

And yes, that accessory is insanely good. On certain Garbs it can literally make you immune to all physical damage.

I think this is my problem then. I'm gonna redo my schematas and report back.

Something like: magic garb w/one spell of each element or mixes, physical garb with some neutral attacks and some physical elemental strikes, one with purely defensive moves, maybe some debuffs?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 25, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ More or less that, yeah. Magic scheme with the appropriate 1 or 2 elements and deshell or imperil, physical with a heavy hit, lighter hit, elemental hit, and either a defense (I put mediguard or counterblow on mine) or another attack, and a defensive with preta or ghost hood, deprotect, heavy guard, another debuff, and something that can maintain stagger since I'm not sure if debuff casts still do.

ImpAtom posted:

I think that would be my main complaint about the battle system, which I overall really like. It doesn't really feel like they give enough reason to try to mix up schema or go for anything other than specializing, which leaves a lot of pretty useless garbs (like who is ever going to use white mage?). It's a hard balancing act to be sure, and I don't really know of a good way it could be fixed without really sitting down and thinking about it, but a start would be putting a higher cost on the ghost/preta hoods like cutting max ATB in that scheme down to the cost of a single skill, or you lose 10% of your current health at the start of every fight or something. And even then I'm not sure it would do it since it would still be something you could just toss on for bosses.

Also the 'Transform X' auto abilities should trigger every time the conditions are met instead of once, but the buff itself have a very short duration or something like that. And I have no idea why area sweep exists when there is already blitz. I guess its damage per ATB spent ends up better, but it's still just as slow.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 25, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Can someone tell me what is the deal with Whirlwind Kick? Some people are swearing up and down that it's like totally amazing but it just seems to do not a great deal of damage and have a fancy animation. Am I missing something?

Higher level Punt gives it hilarious DPS for a very low ATB cost. It's not the Best Attack Ever but it's very good for what it is and hilarious to use on anything it can knock into the air.

chumbler posted:

I think that would be my main complaint about the battle system, which I overall really like. It doesn't really feel like they give enough reason to try to mix up schema or go for anything other than specializing, which leaves a lot of pretty useless garbs (like who is ever going to use white mage?). It's a hard balancing act to be sure, and I don't really know of a good way it could be fixed without really sitting down and thinking about it, but a start would be putting a higher cost on the ghost/preta hoods like cutting max ATB in that scheme down to the cost of a single skill, or you lose 10% of your current health at the start of every fight or something. And even then I'm not sure it would do it since it would still be something you could just toss on for bosses.

Also the 'Transform X' auto abilities should trigger every time the conditions are met instead of once, but the buff itself have a very short duration or something like that. And I have no idea why area sweep exists when there is already blitz. I guess its damage per ATB spent ends up better, but it's still just as slow.

Well, that's kind of the issue with a lot of job systems. You kind of have to force yourself to use other things once you find a really good winning combo. That is why stuff like the Four Job Fiesta for FFV is fun because it basically forces you to figure out different ways to handle combat. LR obviously isn't as varied as FFV or Bravely Default but it still functions under basically the same logic of "here's a bunch of toys."'

The Hoods was certainly way too good for what they are though and really should have a more significant downside tied to them. The no-damage thing is theoretically a big deal but in reality it just gives you a schema to stick debuffs on.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Higher level Punt gives it hilarious DPS for a very low ATB cost. It's not the Best Attack Ever but it's very good for what it is and hilarious to use on anything it can knock into the air.

Well, that's kind of the issue with a lot of job systems. You kind of have to force yourself to use other things once you find a really good winning combo. That is why stuff like the Four Job Fiesta for FFV is fun because it basically forces you to figure out different ways to handle combat. LR obviously isn't as varied as FFV or Bravely Default but it still functions under basically the same logic of "here's a bunch of toys."'

The Hoods was certainly way too good for what they are though and really should have a more significant downside tied to them. The no-damage thing is theoretically a big deal but in reality it just gives you a schema to stick debuffs on.

Yeah it's hard to make a job system that is both balanced and interesting, and it's certainly not ruining my overall enjoyment of the game or anything. I just value interesting combinations and solutions to problems more than optimizing. I was using a hood for a while but eventually dropped it because it made the combat too boring.

Having 3 schema with worthwhile offense does help staggers go a bit quicker and has less downtime, but it's not a huge improvement and you have to be more on the ball with defense. I think one thing that would have helped a bit is making the 'Soul of the X' abilities tied to garbs apply to every schema. It would allow for interesting combinations like dark knight plus saboteur drain, and they could make the more individually powerful garbs not have souls to balance it out. Would take some redesigning of the system that obviously won't happen now, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 25, 2014

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, the debuffs in this game do OK damage if you've got a good magic stat, so using the hoods can make you immune to one type of damage at the cost of a lower damage output. However, you're right, the benefits totally outweigh the costs. I don't know how many times I opened up by having my defensive schema blow all their ATB on debuffs so that I couldn't even lift my shield, only to have the enemy flail at me helplessly anyways.

Fedule posted:

Even the various supermoves like Artemis Arrows and Whirlwind Kick heavily depend on the level of the original skill. So level 1 skills are not going to output very impressive damage against things like level 3 Beat Down or whatever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, in New Game + now, and I gotta say, for all the creepy fanservice-ness of some garbs, I like the idea of the ultimate elemental garbs all being evening gowns. Bein' all classy while you explode fools.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

chumbler posted:

^^^^ Fang in general is great. It's a shame she has such a limited role in the game though, like Sazh.

The side quests in general have really been what stands out in the story for me, though some of the main quests are good (Snow's). Many of them deal with some aspect of how people don't age but can still die, and how much their perception of time has been warped. They're a little inconsistent in many cases, like whether or not the children still develop emotionally, or in one case time stopping just didn't affect one person and how most make no mention of the impending end of the world (maybe only the Order people know about it?), but on the whole I think they're pretty well written for a FF game and clearly were not the work of Toriyama. There are a lot of really dark ones like the one you mention and the one that gives the dark knight garb. Armand's is a bit of a gut punch, too.

One thing that's worth doing when there's time is just reading through the various quest and completion notes in the log. None of it is particularly new or revelatory if you paid attention to the events in the side quest, but they flesh out Lightning a bit more. Also the canvas quests all have completion text and some of the are pretty good.

One of the higher level quests in Dead Dunes, the guy who wants you to hunt Aeronite so he can eat the flesh and start aging again based off the hypothesis that because Aeronite is not from this time-space continuum, eating his flesh would free him from the restrictions that time has placed and let him start aging again. I just assumed that the one guy who started aging again eat the flesh of Aeronite

I'm probably reaching a bit on that, but it was the only thing I could think of that would explain it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, beat the last boss. The ending sequence was everything I was promised and then some. :allears:

About the actual fight: Managed to bullshit my way to the final form and then died. Rejigged my Schematas to super-staggering versions of my physical immune, magical immune, and face-stabbing ones and saved EP for the end. Should have guessed the final form would use the same only properly vulnerable during Stagger gimmick as the first game.

Fedule posted:

Is there actually a way to not die to that? I always just wrote it off as "welp, time to burn another Phoenix Down". Can you perfect guard it or something?

No idea. Every time he used it it was Phoenix time for me.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnHMZe-t_E

Did I just watch a no-damage Caius on hard mode fight? Jesus

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

abaddonis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnHMZe-t_E

Did I just watch a no-damage Caius on hard mode fight? Jesus

That is definitely not Caius. Its the boss in Yusnaan after Day 12, Snow++.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wait, some of the bosses have ++ versions as well? Welp, add one more playthrough to get everything I guess. If I ever go all crazy completionist on this game anyway. Will probably at least go do the Platinum, there's just a bit of busywork really.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

McDragon posted:

Wait, some of the bosses have ++ versions as well? Welp, add one more playthrough to get everything I guess. If I ever go all crazy completionist on this game anyway. Will probably at least go do the Platinum, there's just a bit of busywork really.

Luxerion's boss has a + version, if you fight him past Day 7. Yusnaan's, has both + and ++, Day 7, and Day 12 respectively. Dead Dunes' boss changes if you fight it past Day 7, but it only gets slightly stronger. And if the final boss has a + version if you fight him on day 14.

In general, the + versions of bosses drop better versions of the weapons you from fighting their normal versions. They also have doubled stats all around, and different AI/move sets.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Systematic System posted:

Luxerion's boss has a + version, if you fight him past Day 7. Yusnaan's, has both + and ++, Day 7, and Day 12 respectively. Dead Dunes' boss changes if you fight it past Day 7, but it only gets slightly stronger. And if the final boss has a + version if you fight him on day 14.

In general, the + versions of bosses drop better versions of the weapons you from fighting their normal versions. They also have doubled stats all around, and different AI/move sets.

From looking at the Bestiary, it seems like only Luxurion's boss has a different item drop on day 7+; the others stay the same no matter when you fight them. And Yusnaan's boss seems to change on day 7, then again on day 10 rather than 12. I suppose it could be wrong, since I haven't tested, but the guide otherwise seems very accurate.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Systematic System posted:

That is definitely not Caius. Its the boss in Yusnaan after Day 12, Snow++.

Ah, still pretty impressive. I was watching in the background and just noticed a guy in black with a jacked up looking weapon

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What's a good weapon that has Jump on it? Shadow Hunter is pretty mediocre by now, so I'm left in an awkward position where I either need to have two physical Schemata, or have one physical Schemata with crappy stats.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

What's a good weapon that has Jump on it? Shadow Hunter is pretty mediocre by now, so I'm left in an awkward position where I either need to have two physical Schemata, or have one physical Schemata with crappy stats.

Ruffian in the Dead Dunes sells the dragoon spear which I think is around the same stats as shadow hunter, and an upgraded version for a chunk of change. You have to have met the boss and done a bit of the main quest first to open the store, I think.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

Ruffian in the Dead Dunes sells the dragoon spear which I think is around the same stats as shadow hunter, and an upgraded version for a chunk of change. You have to have met the boss and done a bit of the main quest first to open the store, I think.

I suppose I should have mentioned I'm done all the main quests, and am pretty darn rich (130,000 gil), so I'll check it out. Thanks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Trip report: completely smoked the boss of the Wildlands with an all magic/all physical/all defensive setup. Took very little damage. This is totally changing the way I am approaching my setup from now on.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

I suppose I should have mentioned I'm done all the main quests, and am pretty darn rich (130,000 gil), so I'll check it out. Thanks.

Ahahaha, ahahah. As you'll find out, 130,000 gil unfortunately seems to not very much money as the game progresses. Monsters do start dropping more gil though as time progresses, and then into hard mode.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Well now I feel like a chump :mad:

Seriously though, I haven't seen anything that sells for more than like 75k, so I figured I could afford any weapon being sold. That said, Ruffian isn't even selling the upgraded weapon yet, so maybe not :v:.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I suggest not buying weapons/shields in general, unless there's something specific you need it for. The shields that are sold in the research camp in the Wildlands (Ghostly Bloom, and something very french for its second tier), and upgraded rods/lances are highly recommended though (no rod from a Last One, and the best lance is only on NG+).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Do elemental attacks like Sparkstrike draw from attack or magic? Not sure which garb I want to be putting them on.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Do elemental attacks like Sparkstrike draw from attack or magic? Not sure which garb I want to be putting them on.

The elemental strikes/blitzes are attack. The tabs in the menu are trustworthy for that information. It gets murky for the blue mage and ninja unique skills, but those are supposedly attacks as well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Is there anyway to find out what an ability does if it's a modified version of a different one? For instance, right now, I have a garb that changes Heavy Slash to Artemis' Arrows, but I can't actually see AAs stats.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

chumbler posted:

The elemental strikes/blitzes are attack. The tabs in the menu are trustworthy for that information. It gets murky for the blue mage and ninja unique skills, but those are supposedly attacks as well.

The Ninja skills damage is based on your magic stat, but do physical damage. They're just spells that go against the target's physical defense.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The Guide says Artemis Arrow increases the power of heavy slash by 2.50x. Not sure if that's directly added to your Heavy Slash's power, or if its multiplied. No way to tell in game though, unfortunately.

dinnerrollofdoom
Jan 30, 2014
How is this game?

I have avoided review sites just because I don't like how commercial things have gotten in the past few years.

I played FFXIII quite a bit, couldn't finish it just because of the linearity of the game, I have heard from friends this is better?

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!
Re: Artemis Arrows, I finally got the garb and Heavy Slash, and tried it out and it was kind of disappointing. It has a really long wind-up time and the garb starts at 0 ATB. Does it do more damage with higher Heavy Slash level? Right now I'm doing more damage with Helter Skelter + Chaos Revenge + Attack lv4.

Moskau fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dinnerrollofdoom posted:

How is this game?

I have avoided review sites just because I don't like how commercial things have gotten in the past few years.

I played FFXIII quite a bit, couldn't finish it just because of the linearity of the game, I have heard from friends this is better?

It's basically open from the start. You need to do 5 main missions to finish the game and you'll want to do sidequests too, but if linearity is your main concern, then it shouldn't be an issue here.

Artemis' Arrow really isn't very good. People like Whirlwind Kick because you can out damage Artemis' Arrow with it easily when you're perfect timing it. You can see people hitting the Dead Dunes Superboss for 500k a hit with it.

My main gripe with this game is that I can't unlock or upgrade the baked in skills on garbs. I wouldn't care if it meant I had to pay a big fee or use a rare item drop, I don't want to have to use ugly as hell outfits like Helter Skelter purely because its baked in skill isn't garbage, or things like the XIII-1 outfit because it doesn't have a bad baked in skill.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 25, 2014

• Locked thread