Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Any recommendations for encoding fraps videos, keeping the quality while minimizng the file-size? This is for a SSLP, by the way. Normally this isn't an issue, but I have three videos that are each around an hour long, and the size is becoming an issue. If anyone's thinking of suggesting Lagrith, I already tried that and it actually increased the size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

gatz posted:

Any recommendations for encoding fraps videos, keeping the quality while minimizng the file-size? This is for a SSLP, by the way. Normally this isn't an issue, but I have three videos that are each around an hour long, and the size is becoming an issue. If anyone's thinking of suggesting Lagrith, I already tried that and it actually increased the size.

Just encode it with x264 at a low crf. The difference between a well encoded video and a lossless video is pretty unnoticeable when it comes to still images.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Thanks Meat. Any progress on that revised animated gif tutorial? I am interested in watching it.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

It's actually coming along quite nicely! I've been doing a lot of research into dithering, compression techniques, and different software (free and purchasable) that I'd like to present and how to use them. I'm also trying to keep it simple and concise since with the amount of material I've piled up I could easily go on for more than 30 minutes. Sorry if it's taking awhile. I haven't exactly set a deadline, but I'm having fun learning and experimenting so I certainly have the motivation to finish it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Has anyone converted the Bash script in the text extraction tutorial to work with windows yet? is there a tool that will automatically run a set sequence of commands on a batch, or am I SOL unless I have Cygwin? In the end it'd probably be easier to learn all the things needed to do it in Python than to type out every text box, but jeez... that's still an undertaking.

edit: Found a transcript of the game, but now I'm just curious -- did someone ever update that process?

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 19, 2014

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

hubris.height posted:

Has anyone converted the Bash script in the text extraction tutorial to work with windows yet? is there a tool that will automatically run a set sequence of commands on a batch, or am I SOL unless I have Cygwin? In the end it'd probably be easier to learn all the things needed to do it in Python than to type out every text box, but jeez... that's still an undertaking.

edit: Found a transcript of the game, but now I'm just curious -- did someone ever update that process?

ImageMagick works multiplatform. You need to run the commands in a regular command prompt.
You may need to add the ImageMagick directory to your PATH variable.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

EntranceJew posted:

ImageMagick works multiplatform. You need to run the commands in a regular command prompt.
You may need to add the ImageMagick directory to your PATH variable.

This isn't my question. At the bottom of the Wiki article linked, they created a handy, automated bash script that would go through a list of Screenshots, and crop the text boxes (based on the location that they appear on the screen, so it has to be a game that has constant positioning), negate the image, darken the text (all in imagemagick), and then run the OCR software and seek through the file for any recognized terms to auto replace with faces.

I was wondering if anyone had ported over a windows version (be it batch file, c++ program, or something). I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

hubris.height posted:

I was wondering if anyone had ported over a windows version (be it batch file, c++ program, or something). I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.
Sure, why not. This should work.

code:
cd D:\Apps\ImageMagick
SET _path=D:\LP\img

<nul (set/p z=) > %_path%\text.txt

FOR %%f IN (%_path%\raw\*.png) DO (
    convert -crop 640x96+0+384 -negate -threshold 66%% %%f %_path%\%%~nf.pnm
    gocr049 -d 0 -a 99 -f ASCII -m 386 -p %_path%\ocr -i %_path%\%%~nf.pnm >> %_path%\text.txt
    del %_path%\%%~nf.pnm
)
I don't have the lua new line substitution. Probably can be done but I don't feel like looking it up right now.

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

I've looked through the OP and googled this to no end but for some reason can't find a solution so I figured this would be the best place to ask. I want to stream my Dreamcast on twitch and wasn't sure what I needed to do it with. I want my Dreamcast to go into my SDTV (via composite cable) so I can play it on that while it streams from my tv to my laptop. What hardware would I need to accomplish this?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Lufia posted:

Sure, why not. This should work.

code:
cd D:\Apps\ImageMagick
SET _path=D:\LP\img

convert -crop 640x96+0+384 -negate -threshold 66%% %%f %_path%\%%~nf.pnm
    gocr049 -d 0 -a 99 -f ASCII -m 386 -p %_path%\ocr -i %_path%\%%~nf.pnm >> %_path%\text.txt
    del %_path%\%%~nf.pnm
)
I don't have the lua new line substitution. Probably can be done but I don't feel like looking it up right now.

This is extraordinary. Thanks.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

K-Flow posted:

I've looked through the OP and googled this to no end but for some reason can't find a solution so I figured this would be the best place to ask. I want to stream my Dreamcast on twitch and wasn't sure what I needed to do it with. I want my Dreamcast to go into my SDTV (via composite cable) so I can play it on that while it streams from my tv to my laptop. What hardware would I need to accomplish this?

Assuming you have two spare male-to-male cables, you'd use 3 female-to-female splitters and route one to your capture device and one to your TV.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

hubris.height posted:

This isn't my question. At the bottom of the Wiki article linked, they created a handy, automated bash script that would go through a list of Screenshots, and crop the text boxes (based on the location that they appear on the screen, so it has to be a game that has constant positioning), negate the image, darken the text (all in imagemagick), and then run the OCR software and seek through the file for any recognized terms to auto replace with faces.

Oh! I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, to make up for it I added (a form of) newline substitution to Lufia's original port:
code:
@echo off
setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion EnableExtensions

cd /D Q:\Program Files\drivers\imagemagick
set _path=Q:\Users\admin\Desktop
set imagepath=%_path%\raw

IF NOT EXIST %imagepath%\ocr mkdir %imagepath%\ocr

set builtlines=
    convert -crop 640x96+0+384 -negate -threshold 50%% %%f %imagepath%\ocr\%%~nf.pnm
	gocr049 -d 0 -a 99 -f UTF8 -m 386 -p %imagepath%\ocr\ -i %imagepath%\ocr\%%~nf.pnm > %_path%\text.temp
	set builtlines=
	for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%x in (%_path%\text.temp) do (
		setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion
		set "line=%%x"
		setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
		set "builtlines=!builtlines! !line!"
	)
	set builtlines=!builtlines! 
	echo !builtlines:~1,-1!>>%_path%\text.txt
    del %imagepath%\ocr\%%~nf.pnm
)
del %_path%\text.temp
It should work without a hitch, I couldn't get the version prior to work with the guide so I had to change some stuff here and there to better match it. If you need to tune the convert and gOCR commands you shouldn't have a problem using the guide's stuff with the given paths. If you plan on modifying anything else, be aware that my version makes use of trailing whitespace due to batch oddities.

If it has any issues, feel free to post about it and I'll update it as necessary.

EntranceJew fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 20, 2014

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I have a con you could add to Minus. You need to have either IOS or Android in order to create an account, or let the site be able to make posts on your Twitter/Facebook.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 20, 2014

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

I have a con you could add to Minus. You need to have either IOS or Android in order to create an account, or let the site be able to make posts on your Twitter/Facebook.

Minus seems to have its routing pages hosed in favor of promoting something else entirely. This is supposedly the join page but it seems to be politely taking your data and throwing it on the floor.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

EntranceJew posted:

Oh! I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, to make up for it I added (a form of) newline substitution to Lufia's original port:
code:
@echo off
setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion EnableExtensions

cd /D Q:\Program Files\drivers\imagemagick
set _path=Q:\Users\admin\Desktop
set imagepath=%_path%\raw

IF NOT EXIST %imagepath%\ocr mkdir %imagepath%\ocr

set builtlines=
    convert -crop 640x96+0+384 -negate -threshold 50%% %%f %imagepath%\ocr\%%~nf.pnm
	gocr049 -d 0 -a 99 -f UTF8 -m 386 -p %imagepath%\ocr\ -i %imagepath%\ocr\%%~nf.pnm > %_path%\text.temp
	set builtlines=
	for /f "tokens=* delims=" %%x in (%_path%\text.temp) do (
		setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion
		set "line=%%x"
		set "builtlines=!builtlines! !line!"
	)
	set builtlines=!builtlines! 
	echo !builtlines:~1,-1!>>%_path%\text.txt
    del %imagepath%\ocr\%%~nf.pnm
)
del %_path%\text.temp
It should work without a hitch, I couldn't get the version prior to work with the guide so I had to change some stuff here and there to better match it. If you need to tune the convert and gOCR commands you shouldn't have a problem using the guide's stuff with the given paths. If you plan on modifying anything else, be aware that my version makes use of trailing whitespace due to batch oddities.

If it has any issues, feel free to post about it and I'll update it as necessary.

This is extraordinary. Make sure you edit it into the Wiki page!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Does anyone here have any experience with PCSX2's inbuilt recording software? Specifically, how to make it actually record and export an audio file? I've tried pretty much every configuration and setting that I can to try and get it to work, and aside from one time when it exported an unreadable .wav I've just gotten my .avi and nothing else.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Last I checked PCSX2's video recorder makes a file just called "recording" in its own directory, no matter what your AVI filename is, which is the audio. It's pretty stupid.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
... Huh that's pretty :psyduck:.

Thanks, though! Just made a shortcut to the PCSX2 directory on my desktop and will have to remember to move and rename the file after each recording, I guess.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I have a commentary video I did with another goon that I would really not be comfortable uploading and sharing if it wasn't for the last bit, but our reactions in the commentary while we were watching it made the whole thing worth it and I'd really like to keep the audio, but not video.

So, I was wondering if there was a way I could edit the video so the last bit of the video we watched was cut, but the commentary we did over it remained. What would I need to do that? Could that be done in MeGUI or would I need another program?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sylphid posted:

I have a commentary video I did with another goon that I would really not be comfortable uploading and sharing if it wasn't for the last bit, but our reactions in the commentary while we were watching it made the whole thing worth it and I'd really like to keep the audio, but not video.

So, I was wondering if there was a way I could edit the video so the last bit of the video we watched was cut, but the commentary we did over it remained. What would I need to do that? Could that be done in MeGUI or would I need another program?

I would guess you can trim the video from start to just before this thing you don't want shown and then just fill the rest with black in AVISynth.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Real quick but if I want to split an mp4 into parts so I don't have to upload this entire 4 hour stream onto YouTube at once is there a good tool that doesn't require reencoding? I haven't been keeping up with video editing lately :v:

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Vicas posted:

Real quick but if I want to split an mp4 into parts so I don't have to upload this entire 4 hour stream onto YouTube at once is there a good tool that doesn't require reencoding? I haven't been keeping up with video editing lately :v:

YAMB if need a GUI, mp4box if you don't.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey

I'm thinking of doing a VLP of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Focusing only on the main plot and other bits of interest so that you dont have hours of footage on fetch quests.

What I was thinking would be cool is if the battles were seamless (as in no pausing). I COULD just edit out all the pauses (or play without pausing, but gently caress that...) however that would take hours of editing time.

Is there a way to set it up in FRAPS\Camtasia\Whatever so that when I press Space, the video recording pauses, then when I press space, it resumes? That way the recording will kinda edit out all the pauses for me, the battles will flow nicely and it'll hopefully look cool as poo poo.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Just set the video capture hotkey as space, then just splice all your videos together afterwards.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

MEAT! posted:

YAMB if need a GUI, mp4box if you don't.

mp4box worked perfectly, thanks

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

No problem. On that note, YAMB should be replaced with My MP4Box GUI in the OP since it's no longer developed and hasn't been updated since 2009.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I'm planning on LPing a game that doesn't have any subtitles, and I'm thinking of actually adding some myself. Anyone got any recommendations for good fonts?

The game is a sci-fi game with a Soviet/Russian theme, though of course I don't want to do something really gimmicky that is hard to read.

As for actually creating subtitles... I use Sony Vegas to edit and render my videos (specifically Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0). I was surprised to discover that Vegas doesn't actually have some built in "subtitles" feature, rather you do it by creating lots of text boxes and positioning them at the bottom of the screen. Seems like it would be a bit of a chore... but checking the guides here and in various places it seems the alternative is to create subtitles in notepad, manually type in time codes for the start and stop of every subtitle, and turn the notepad into a subtitle file. (Alternatively, use Audaciter to create a subtitle file.)

And then I'd import that subtitle file into virtualdub, and then render the video using virtualdub... and then load THAT video into sony vegas to do my editing and to render it as an mp4 file. So... yeah I'm thinking just creating a whole bunch of text boxes in Vegas might not be such a chore after all. Just wondering if I'm missing something or if the subtitle advice is now very out-of-date.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

your evil twin posted:

I'm planning on LPing a game that doesn't have any subtitles, and I'm thinking of actually adding some myself. Anyone got any recommendations for good fonts?

The game is a sci-fi game with a Soviet/Russian theme, though of course I don't want to do something really gimmicky that is hard to read.

As for actually creating subtitles... I use Sony Vegas to edit and render my videos (specifically Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0). I was surprised to discover that Vegas doesn't actually have some built in "subtitles" feature, rather you do it by creating lots of text boxes and positioning them at the bottom of the screen. Seems like it would be a bit of a chore... but checking the guides here and in various places it seems the alternative is to create subtitles in notepad, manually type in time codes for the start and stop of every subtitle, and turn the notepad into a subtitle file. (Alternatively, use Audaciter to create a subtitle file.)

And then I'd import that subtitle file into virtualdub, and then render the video using virtualdub... and then load THAT video into sony vegas to do my editing and to render it as an mp4 file. So... yeah I'm thinking just creating a whole bunch of text boxes in Vegas might not be such a chore after all. Just wondering if I'm missing something or if the subtitle advice is now very out-of-date.

What you can do in Vegas is make a preset for your subtitles where the text is already at the bottom of the screen with the font and size you want it at. I can't remember how to do that off the top of my head, but it makes subtitling a lot easier. As for subtitle fonts, just don't do anything obnoxious and you should be fine.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

your evil twin posted:

Wow that's a pretty bad workflow. Why don't you just make your subs with Aegisub and hardsub them in at the end when you're encoding with MeGUI? As for the font, Arial Black.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Arial Black? lol. Don't let anything but Neue Helvetica 25 Ultra Light graze your eyes.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

MEAT! posted:

Wow that's a pretty bad workflow. Why don't you just make your subs with Aegisub and hardsub them in at the end when you're encoding with MeGUI? As for the font, Arial Black.

Since most people are using youtube these days, they may as well just work with youtube's built in subtitle support by uploading .srt files.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Except youtube's built in subtitles look like rear end without a lot of fiddling with and most people won't want to go through the effort.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Indeed. Also, if I'm going to go to all the work of creating subtitles for a game (when the game's own developers couldn't be arsed), I'm sure as hell gonna make EVERYONE see those loving subtitles. If you're watching youtube on a mobile or whatever then I don't think they work. (I know video annotations don't work on mobiles, or at least on some mobiles.)

Also, I sometimes like to download Let's Plays from youtube (using a firefox plugin) and then watch them on my mobile in places that don't get internet, such as the London Underground. I know there are others that do the same. So yeah, I wanna do hardcoded subs rather than youtube subs.

MEAT! posted:

Well I do my editing and encoding with Sony Vegas, this MeGUI you speak of is all greek to me.

My point was that all the instructions for "how to do subtitles" involve using some other programs and then encoding with VirtualDub (or MeGUI or whatever) and then I'd have to import THAT into Sony Vegas to actually do my editing and final encode. Unless your point is that I should stop using Sony Vegas and just use MeGui instead.

ChaosArgate posted:

What you can do in Vegas is make a preset for your subtitles where the text is already at the bottom of the screen with the font and size you want it at. I can't remember how to do that off the top of my head, but it makes subtitling a lot easier. As for subtitle fonts, just don't do anything obnoxious and you should be fine.

Aaaah, OK yes that could be pretty useful. Make one subtitle how I like it, then make hundreds of text boxes using the same preset. That should actually be pretty simple and quick! Thanks.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

MEAT! posted:

Agreed. Unless you've got a good reason, stick with the basic fonts. White text with a black outline can be read over anything as well.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

your evil twin posted:

Well I do my editing and encoding with Sony Vegas, this MeGUI you speak of is all greek to me.

My point was that all the instructions for "how to do subtitles" involve using some other programs and then encoding with VirtualDub (or MeGUI or whatever) and then I'd have to import THAT into Sony Vegas to actually do my editing and final encode. Unless your point is that I should stop using Sony Vegas and just use MeGui instead.

Vegas is a non linear editor, MeGUI is an encoder front end. Do all your editing in Vegas if you want, that's fine, just export your video lossless or use a frameserver. Then encode it to x264 with MeGUI, Zarx, Ripbot, or just with x264.exe and the command line if you want. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, read the OP.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

MegaZeroX posted:

Along with the 15MB upload limit, no longer being able to upload any content except for images, and sometimes the site just refuses to load. Minus has really gone down the drain :smith:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Along with the 15MB upload limit, no longer being able to upload any content except for images, and sometimes the site just refuses to load. Minus has really gone down the drain :smith:

Why does that read like you're saying having fifteen megabytes to work with is a bad thing? It's pointless if you can't upload animated GIFs, certainly, but what's wrong with 15MB?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Why does that read like you're saying having fifteen megabytes to work with is a bad thing? It's pointless if you can't upload animated GIFs, certainly, but what's wrong with 15MB?

It's because you could upload files basically any size and any format. And then it became only video and images. And now that's restricted to 15 MB image files, it seems like.
So it's been becoming more and more restrictive.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Huh, when you mention that it used to be a video host, suddenly being restricted to 15 mb images sounds pretty awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I don't ever think it was a "video host", just a generic file host. I often had co-commentators and people involved in races upload their video/audio to Minus if they didn't want to use Dropbox. Now I recommend that they use MEGA.

Minus also used to be "the social uploader" and try and email me "people who are uploading files that you might like to follow" every week. I also have uploaded no public files, but I seem to have accumulated over 100 followers, I assume because they sent out my account to random people in those emails for some reason and they just clicked "Follow".

I sent the CEO an angry email about it in 2012:

me posted:

Is there an opportunity to turn off the social networking stuff?
Apparently after uploading no public files, I have 22 followers. I
don't know why. Are they are all spammers, or did your recommendation
algorithm recommend me to them? Why did it recommend me?

I use Minus as a way to share private files with friends. It's easy
and quick to do so. I do not use it to network. It is not easy or
quick to do so. I already have too many other "social networks" and
communication tools to manage. The world does not need another.

I do not see social networking being a viable part of your service or
business. The basic idea I see in Minus is "here's a way to upload
files to the web", not "here's a way to share potentially private
files with random spammers or algorithm-suggested 'friends' that I
have never met".

I do not want followers in this type of service.

john posted:

Thanks Jasper

Unfortunately the direction we are moving is towards more publishing and uploading to share your content on your profiles with feed/explore being part of the Minus core. The private file sharing aspect will be going away soon and more focuses on media types, not files (zip etc..) Hope you understand and give it a shot.

Cheers

Best Regards,
John Xie
Co-Founder
http://minus.com | http://john.minus.com
http://blog.minus.com | @mindotus

I haven't used or recommend Minus since then. I hope what the CEO realizes is that nobody particularly cares what hentai videos or excel spreadsheets your friends are uploading today. Files are unimportant garbage, we just need to get them from point A to point B.