Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bhsman posted:

Someone post that Land Tax alter.

You know the one. :dong:

I already did in the previous post. It's my card. Lost the old pic so had to take another. :nws:

Kinda want to commission another card in a similar vein (lol). I have a Japanese Emrakul. Is there any way to make that a cool ironic pic possibly with anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Here are a lot more I've recently done:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Victor Surge posted:

Do you just put the card on an easel and go to town with acrylic paints or what? Can you talk about your process?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Actual googly eyes are not sleeve playable.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mehall posted:

Actual googly eyes are not sleeve playable.

If someone had a deck two feet high because every card had googly eyes on it, I would not call a judge on them.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Tharizdun posted:

Do you just put the card on an easel and go to town with acrylic paints or what? Can you talk about your process?

It's flat on a table, but yeah, after a gray base coat to cover the old frame I pretty much go to town with acrylics and small brushes. I do a lot of watered down thin layers to get detail and good color matching and then seal it with a matte acrylic spray.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Victor Surge posted:

Sweet Alters

I want a bunch of those Tempest islands Real Bad

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'd like a full set of Mountains where the picture is just the cleavage from those old Evony banner ads, and the text is just "Play Mountains, my Lord"

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone know if there's an artist who specializes in altering new frame cards into old frames?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone know if there's an artist who specializes in altering new frame cards into old frames?

Potentially also vice versa because I cannot stand old vomit gold bordered cards

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've thought about making big titted anime land alters for a quick buck when I'm in a bind but I have too much self-respect. Though I have thought about getting into making playmats. I love the one I did for myself with the album cover of Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast.

EDIT: Here it is. I didn't get much further than this with it and ended up having Steve Argyle and Dan Baker draw on the sides I never got to.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 25, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Star Man posted:

I've thought about making big titted anime land alters for a quick buck when I'm in a bind but I have too much self-respect. Though I have thought about getting into making playmats. I love the one I did for myself with the album cover of Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast.

Now all I want is a "The Trooper" playmat and I don't even use playmats.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Powerslave

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Anyone interested in trading for some of the modern storm stuff. I have playsets of the rituals, the draw spells, 2 past in flames, 3 pyromancer ascension, set of manamorphose?

Interested in MUD stuff, and whatever is still on this deckbox.

http://deckbox.org/sets/243836?p=2

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Assuming you're playing Fog Maze's End, you should have a pretty good matchup vs. both of those. You generally want to take the early damage and build up your fogs for later when it matters. My favorite thing ever: attack with Gatekeepers, cast Aetherize, cast Verdict, recast Gatekeepers. Profit!

My list is here if you want to check it out. It's basically worthless, and you probably already have most of the parts for it. So far, I definitely like the Coursers and might go up to 3 if I can be bothered to dig my 3rd one out of my trade binder. I'll probably add a Sphinx's Revelation or 2 over the Opportunities - they're basically the same thing at 6 mana anyway, but with life gain.

http://deckbox.org/sets/551747

The Coursers are an interesting choice. I'm playing creatureless Maze's End, so I don't know if playing a small amount of creatures without an ETB effect is the best idea. If you're playing so few creatures and have no ways to protect them, then most things will just die to cards that should be useless against you. Instead of creatures, I just put in 2 Jace and 2 Kiora. They provide mini-fogs of their own, maybe draw cards (which you really need, Urban Evolution is usually not enough if you can't land an early maze.) I should probably switch to Revoke Existence instead of Wear/Tear in the sideboard, because I'm scared of Xenogods more than Pithing Needle/Ratchet Bomb.

http://deckbox.org/sets/610174

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What a Judas posted:

Sorry, but he's right. Let's not promote the sleazy slut alters.

These are my favorite alters I've acquired in the last few years. Especially the last one. Does anyone know why that last one is the most important one?

That Phyrexian Mana Sol Ring owns.

Last one is obviously a leak from Planar Chaos II - Karn, Father of Machines.

EDIT: Also that Top is hilarious. The original art is just this boring old top sitting on a table and the alter is like FIRE LIGHTNING WHIZ BAAAAAANG

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Someone please put the Mnemonic Wall/Whelming Wave lock with some Kiora in your Maze's End deck so I don't have to play it myself to get it out of my system. Make a video of it on MTGO, post an FNM trip report, I don't care.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Boxman posted:

EDIT: Also that Top is hilarious. The original art is just this boring old top sitting on a table and the alter is like FIRE LIGHTNING WHIZ BAAAAAANG

It's because of Counterbalance.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

rabidsquid posted:

Someone please put the Mnemonic Wall/Whelming Wave lock with some Kiora in your Maze's End deck so I don't have to play it myself to get it out of my system. Make a video of it on MTGO, post an FNM trip report, I don't care.

Now that I know of this, I will try.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Boxman posted:

I'd love to know what your opinion of a still life is.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Victor Surge posted:

Do you take commissions? I'm interested in getting at least a couple cards for my cube altered and if I can support a goon at the same time, all the better.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh my God on MJ's stream he was talking about how he was running Infest instead of Drown in Sorrow in his Modern deck, then magically a Drown in Sorrow got added to his MTGO account.

worthw: (welcome) :lol:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AnacondaHL posted:

Oh my God on MJ's stream he was talking about how he was running Infest instead of Drown in Sorrow in his Modern deck, then magically a Drown in Sorrow got added to his MTGO account.

Even more funny several people offered to let him have some and he was like "I'd just sell them." They were worth .30 tix and he didn't feel like spending the tix on them. You figure as much as he drafts he'd have 4.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

AnacondaHL posted:

Worth is basically the entire reason I believe in the future of MTGO. The dude is hilarious and is a huge proponent of magic streaming in general.

He might also be the devil.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Restore Balance Combo uses 3 tutors and I think 1 person at the Pro Tour went deep with it? There was a R/W Prison list that made top 32 I think at the Pro Tour, maybe it used tutor?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fox of Stone posted:

I already did in the previous post. It's my card. Lost the old pic so had to take another. :nws:

I have seen that card in real life. Didn't the LGS owner make it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Agentdark posted:

Anyone interested in trading for some of the modern storm stuff. I have playsets of the rituals, the draw spells, 2 past in flames, 3 pyromancer ascension, set of manamorphose?

Interested in MUD stuff, and whatever is still on this deckbox.

http://deckbox.org/sets/243836?p=2

Might want to take that to the Buying/Selling/Trading thread in SA-Mart. You'll probably get more bites there.

I could buy the Manamorphose playset and a Past in Flames for the right price :shobon:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mortimer posted:

I have seen that card in real life. Didn't the LGS owner make it?

Yeah, Tom made it. It ended up with one of the EDH regulars whose name I forgot and he traded it to me. He said I would be the only one he would trade it to since I would appreciate its value. It has a nice reputation and legend around NoVA now. You can discreetly ask the people at CGO fairfax and VC and they'll know of it. Hopefully I will remember to bring it with me next time I'm in Hawaii so they too can be part of the history.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I haven't played MTG in like 14 years, but I am really interested in playing again as I enjoyed it and just stopped. Anyway I am thinking I'll play some sealed tournaments and booster drafts as I always found those fun, plus I am now in Chicago so there are a good number of stores dedicated to MTG etc..

Where could I go to catch up on all the rule changes? I stopped playing I think at Mirage.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The only serious rules changes you need to worry about are.

No more mana burn.
Damage no longer uses the stack.

If you even know what the second one means, you're in great shape to jump back in. Most of the new interactions have come in the way of abilites and keywords. It will take some time to learn what "Exalted" and "Undying" mean, but most are explained on the cards themselves, I honestly wouldn't worry about it, you'll catch on quickly as you play a few games.

P.S. Do you have your old cards?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Stinky Pit posted:

The only serious rules changes you need to worry about are.

No more mana burn.
Damage no longer uses the stack.

If you even know what the second one means, you're in great shape to jump back in. Most of the new interactions have come in the way of abilites and keywords. It will take some time to learn what "Exalted" and "Undying" mean, but most are explained on the cards themselves, I honestly wouldn't worry about it, you'll catch on quickly as you play a few games.

P.S. Do you have your old cards?

The other main change is Planeswalkers exist now. Basically, they're like another player on your side. They come into play with a preset number of loyalty counters. They have abilities which you can use once per turn by adding or subtracting the appropriate numbers of counters. They can be attacked instead of you and you can block as normal. Any non-combat damage (but not life loss!) done to you can be redirected to them, and if their counters drop to 0 they're destroyed (or sacrificed? either way it dies.)

I'm sure someone will explain them much better than I did, and with pictures! But I'm on my phone, so this is as good as it'll get from me.

Also, "removed from the game" is now "exiled" for some stupid reason, and "in play" is now "on the battlefield" for slightly less dumb reasons.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait what do you mean Plainswalkers exist in the game now? I am confused at that.

I think I have my old cards at my moms house I'll see if she would mail them to me but I am unsure what I have.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Hollismason posted:

Wait what do you mean Plainswalkers exist in the game now? I am confused at that.

I think I have my old cards at my moms house I'll see if she would mail them to me but I am unsure what I have.

Not plainswalkers, planeswalkers.

Here's the relevant rules article.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Remember how planeswalkers like Urza were all-powerful gods?

Yeah they killed all those off and the new planeswalkers are just really cool wizards that are playable like any other permanent, except they have tokens for life and abilities that either cost or add life tokens.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Had a weird situation arise at a local Standard tourney I played at tonight. I wasn't actually involved, but my opponent and I were between games and sitting next to us two people got into a dispute over how Archangel of Thune works. One player attacked with a 4/4, and her opponent blocked with the Thune at 3/4, arguing that it would gain a +1/+1 counter and survive the block. Both my opponent and I mentioned that no, the Thune actually dies before it would get the counter, but the guy said that he had the same situation happen to him the other way around and the judge here said Thune lives.

So they call the judge (the owner of the store), who comes over, hears the situation, says he has to go double check in the back, and comes back and rules that the Thune lives. The girl seemed too timid to raise anymore of a fuss about it (she was even reluctant to call a judge in the first place).

Since my opponent and I had our own match to worry about we just shook our heads and continued playing. I'm wondering what you can do in that situation, when the only thing close to a "judge" at the event clearly makes a wrong ruling? I don't know what he did when he went away to "double-check" but he didn't come back with the right answer and since I play there weekly I didn't want to question him publicly.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

Since my opponent and I had our own match to worry about we just shook our heads and continued playing. I'm wondering what you can do in that situation, when the only thing close to a "judge" at the event clearly makes a wrong ruling? I don't know what he did when he went away to "double-check" but he didn't come back with the right answer and since I play there weekly I didn't want to question him publicly.

Bring it up to them after the event, calmly. Something like "Hey man, I thought a bit about the Archangel thing, and doesn't the +1/+1 trigger resolve after damage is dealt?", no need to push it very much.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
It's a shame he ruled that wrong - Thune would die as a state-based action before the counters resolve from the stack. Just bring it up with him later, I guess.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
At least the story had a somewhat happy ending. The girl ended up winning the entire event, with me coming in 2nd!

Game 3 of our match I kept a pretty great opening hand (something like 4 land, Syncopate, D-Sphere, Verdict), but she gets the GOD HAND of:
T1: Soldier of the Pantheon
me: Land, go.
T2: Boros Elite, Boros Elite, hit me for 2.
me: Land, go.
T3: Mutavault, Spear of Heliod, hit me for 11.
me: Land, Detention Sphere the Elites.
T4: 2nd Soldier, hit me for 6 (now I'm at 1 life)
me: Land, Verdict, scoop.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Niton posted:

Worth is basically the entire reason I believe in the future of MTGO. The dude is hilarious and is a huge proponent of magic streaming in general.

He might also be the devil.

There was a moment on LoadingReadyRun's stream a few weeks ago where they were losing really badly and spent like 3 minutes trying to figure out what to do, when suddenly they were gifted the card "Abandon Hope" out of nowhere.

Worth watches all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

There was a moment on LoadingReadyRun's stream a few weeks ago where they were losing really badly and spent like 3 minutes trying to figure out what to do, when suddenly they were gifted the card "Abandon Hope" out of nowhere.

Worth watches all.

In the following few days thry found a paper copy of it in thhe moonbase collection and tweeted at worth to blame him for that too.

• Locked thread