Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gyoru posted:

You can pick the good Fencers apart online by how well they dash cancel (if they even know how) and if they can fight at range even with close combat weapons.

How the heck do you fight at range with close combat weapons? They have a max range and then they go kaput. I want to hear Tips From Great Fencers because, as you said, it's a really heavy skill-based class and I enjoy getting better with it.

edit: oh ok you're talking about the 40m ranges. To me that's still close fighting. EDF "long range", to me, is like 300m or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gyoru posted:

You can pick the good Fencers apart online by how well they dash cancel (if they even know how) and if they can fight at range even with close combat weapons.

This is a big thing. One of the most important things to learn about the melee weapons is that almost none of them are truly melee weapons. Stuff like Blasthole/Flashing Spears have a good 40 meters of range if not more, and Vulcan Hammers can clear a surprisingly giant radius.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The higher level Blasthole Spears can hit 100-150m away on their combo attack so you can hit flying enemies easily. Combine it with the up-boost if you need to close in even more.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Cracker King posted:

I still cannot believe how much fun this dumb game is. And all the little touches like the Voice Acting and even the simple user interface. This is the closest I've ever come to recreating my childhood imagination when I used to fight my GI Joes against my Transformers and DinoRiders. If having a "next-gen" version basically means the exact same level of graphics but with even more aliens/bigger stages then Sandlot have already won at videogames.

The progression from 2017 to 2025 fills me with hope. There's all kinds of little touches where you can tell they polished things up to honest-to-goodness great game level, took good ideas from IA and other games, expanded on what actually made the game a suprise hit but they kept the ridiculous V/O and just added a ton of it, they kept the radio guys odd without pushing it too far, kept it so the default class is still diverolling all over the place.

The controls especially in this game are just butter. Stuff like flying around as a wing diver or firing the early gatling guns just feels correct. Like more so than AAA games with the same mechanics.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The progression from 2017 to 2025 fills me with hope. There's all kinds of little touches where you can tell they polished things up to honest-to-goodness great game level, took good ideas from IA and other games, expanded on what actually made the game a suprise hit but they kept the ridiculous V/O and just added a ton of it, they kept the radio guys odd without pushing it too far, kept it so the default class is still diverolling all over the place.

The controls especially in this game are just butter. Stuff like flying around as a wing diver or firing the early gatling guns just feels correct. Like more so than AAA games with the same mechanics.

I am the guy who hates console games and despises controllers, but this game nails it. I have never once cursed the controls, nor seriously wished I had a mouse and keyboard, and that is saying one hell of a lot.

This game rocks and Sandlot deserves some kind of "Preserving the Fun in Gaming" award for making it.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
What's the best way to grind up armor? Just drop to normal and blow away bugs with overpowered guns? My biggest weakness right now is just not being able to take hits very well.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Luminous Cow posted:

What's the best way to grind up armor? Just drop to normal and blow away bugs with overpowered guns? My biggest weakness right now is just not being able to take hits very well.

Farm armor offline on Easy using splitscreen on a second controller if possible. Choose the same class on the second controller to double your armor gain. The first armor farming mission available is Mission 15 with the 4 bug tunnels. Leave the second player at the spawn. I like kill the first two tunnels then farm at the third one/the plaza because there's more room. Just make sure you don't accidentally kill the tunnel.

The second mission in the Mission Pack 2 DLC that comes out tomorrow is one of the best armor farming missions. It's great for Inferno weapons too from what I've read.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

Farm armor offline on Easy using splitscreen on a second controller if possible. Choose the same class on the second controller to double your armor gain. The first armor farming mission available is Mission 15 with the 4 bug tunnels. Leave the second player at the spawn. I like kill the first two tunnels then farm at the third one/the plaza because there's more room. Just make sure you don't accidentally kill the tunnel.

The second mission in the Mission Pack 2 DLC that comes out tomorrow is one of the best armor farming missions. It's great for Inferno weapons too from what I've read.

Are the DLC missions worth the money? Where do they take place in the difficulty order? I'm all for more missions frankly, I just don't want to pay the money if they strictly aren't worth it.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Levantine posted:

Are the DLC missions worth the money? Where do they take place in the difficulty order? I'm all for more missions frankly, I just don't want to pay the money if they strictly aren't worth it.

No clue on the value, but the menu option for the first pack indicates that it's similar in difficulty to middle-to-end missions.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
More EDF is always worth the money, and people have chimed in that they're well done.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Gyoru posted:

Thanks. Gonna grind like crazy after work tonight. Tired of dying too drat fast

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The last one on the first mission pack is quite something. The others were ok until I hit that one.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Man, I think friendly fire is the single most dangerous enemy in the game. There's certain weapons I just can't use in online because even if it doesn't look like I'm aiming anywhere close to anyone, the second I push the trigger someone behind me just instantly dies somehow. Playing as a ranger any melee class in the room just makes me go, well, poo poo.

I just want to fire rockets into big hordes of bugs :smith:

E: tight corridor levels should just have the Benny hill music play automatically

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Good Citizen posted:

Man, I think friendly fire is the single most dangerous enemy in the game. There's certain weapons I just can't use in online because even if it doesn't look like I'm aiming anywhere close to anyone, the second I push the trigger someone behind me just instantly dies somehow. Playing as a ranger any melee class in the room just makes me go, well, poo poo.

I just want to fire rockets into big hordes of bugs :smith:

E: tight corridor levels should just have the Benny hill music play automatically

As a Fencer I use one of the artillery pieces - 2000 damage, really shallow arc and 1800 m range. It's basically a sniper rifle and hitting things with it is difficult even when they aren't moving. Somehow my wife keeps strafing in front of this weapon I only fire once every like 4 seconds and has gotten pasted about a half dozen times now. It's hilarious every time.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
If anyone is looking for a dash canceling, meleeing fencer with nothing to lose on PSN then send an invite my way, it's the only class I've used. in the meantime I'm grinding single player normal with level 20 weapons. It feels great to be over powered after so much death.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
How does loot work on split screen online? If 10 weapons were picked up total in a 4 player game, I know each person would get their own separate 10 weapons. If 2 players are split screening online in that 4 person game, then do they each get 10 or do they get 5 each?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Real talk, the BM03 Vegalta Fireghost (Level 45) is the best power suit I've used so far purely because it turns, runs, and jumps so drat fast compared to the earlier ones. It's an absolute joy. I can't remember the last time we actually got to sit down on the couch and co-op a large chunk of the holidays away.

Do the flechette limpets ever get worth it? It feels like the explosive ones are much more useful.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Stage 30.

Holy.

poo poo.

I'm pretty sure this is the greatest thing I have experienced in a game, period.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Luceid posted:

Real talk, the BM03 Vegalta Fireghost (Level 45) is the best power suit I've used so far purely because it turns, runs, and jumps so drat fast compared to the earlier ones. It's an absolute joy. I can't remember the last time we actually got to sit down on the couch and co-op a large chunk of the holidays away.

Do the flechette limpets ever get worth it? It feels like the explosive ones are much more useful.

Flechette limpets are great for tunnel missions. They bounce around constantly and take out any bugs your turrets happen to miss.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Streaming a room full of goons for a bit. We're on mission 70+.

http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

edit: down http://www.twitch.tv/gyoruspy/c/3784518

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 25, 2014

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
So I just unlocked the Titan tank.

Oh my. That, that is a very big tank. Completely impractical, but my goodness is it special. This series continues to amaze even after so long.

Edit: flechettes are also great for missions densely packed with drones. Just put them on the ground and they spray into the sky.

Yalborap fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 25, 2014

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Railgun tanks are absurdly powerful for their level. Makes up for their side guns being absurdly weak. But seriously, the railgun outperforms every other tank I've tried, even ones 20 levels higher. It has a fast, flat, super accurate trajectory and a laser targeting beam so you can actually aim properly.

A similar level Titan has more raw damage and blast radius, but the shots are super slow and hard to aim.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, I adore my railgun tank. Cheap enough that I can drop one at spawn, can two-shot anything that spawns bugs and nearly one-shot a hector, and with crazy long range? Oh yes please. I've had anti-transport missions where I just called in my rail-tank, shot all the transports from my starting position, and mopped up the bugs in a few minutes.

And then the sky was filled with steel and bees and pain. :gonk:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

FuSchnick posted:

Railgun tanks are absurdly powerful for their level. Makes up for their side guns being absurdly weak. But seriously, the railgun outperforms every other tank I've tried, even ones 20 levels higher. It has a fast, flat, super accurate trajectory and a laser targeting beam so you can actually aim properly.

A similar level Titan has more raw damage and blast radius, but the shots are super slow and hard to aim.

Vehicles are incredibly fun and awesome but if I had a single overwhelming "What the gently caress" complaint about this game it's how no vehicles have a loving targeting reticle. It's so annoying and I don't understand why they did that. At least the railgun has the crappy laser to help it out. :smith:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I unlocked the Blasthole Mk 2, and it was tough giving up the mobility of the Spine Driver, but being able to harpoon those red fuckers out of the sky is a pretty good feeling.

Also this game lets me jump 30 feet in the air and bop a dragon in the snoot with my gigantic extendo-robo-fist, and that's just awesome.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So what are the odds for an EDF2025 Portable on PSVita? Think we could get it tomorrow?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Bishop Beo posted:

How does loot work on split screen online? If 10 weapons were picked up total in a 4 player game, I know each person would get their own separate 10 weapons. If 2 players are split screening online in that 4 person game, then do they each get 10 or do they get 5 each?

From reports in the thread, the person who picks up the drop in split screen gets a weapon and the other person has a low chance(estimated lower than 10%) of getting a weapon. So the two people have to trade pick ups.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

Obsurveyor posted:

From reports in the thread, the person who picks up the drop in split screen gets a weapon and the other person has a low chance(estimated lower than 10%) of getting a weapon. So the two people have to trade pick ups.

Right. But I know it works differently online. So if player 1 and 2 are split screening and different classes, and their online buddy player 3 picks up a weapon, do player 1 and 2 each get the weapon or does it randomly go to one of them?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Does anyone know the best way to get high level (50+) weapons? I have a few already and playing mission 14 on inferno gets some decent loot but I have played that mission to death now. I am on mission 60 or 70 something in the storyline, playing hard on 80% of the missions and normal for the ones that are too difficult and playing 2 player co op the whole time.

I heard that the DLC pack missions might be good for getting new weapons? Could anyone tell me which pack and level specifically? After a LOT of attempts we managed to beat one of the final set of missions on hardest mode and the loot was very underwhelming so I feel like inferno might be the only way for me to get better loot at this point.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Really Pants posted:

So what are the odds for an EDF2025 Portable on PSVita? Think we could get it tomorrow?

No. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out someday but not tomorrow.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
If anyone wants to do the last few missions on Hard I'll be on for a bit trying to finish the game. Gimea rubdown on xbl.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Brasseye posted:

Does anyone know the best way to get high level (50+) weapons? I have a few already and playing mission 14 on inferno gets some decent loot but I have played that mission to death now. I am on mission 60 or 70 something in the storyline, playing hard on 80% of the missions and normal for the ones that are too difficult and playing 2 player co op the whole time.

I heard that the DLC pack missions might be good for getting new weapons? Could anyone tell me which pack and level specifically? After a LOT of attempts we managed to beat one of the final set of missions on hardest mode and the loot was very underwhelming so I feel like inferno might be the only way for me to get better loot at this point.

If you're playing the game for 'loot', the point of this game has gone flying over your head.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

If you're playing the game for 'loot', the point of this game has gone flying over your head.

Although, there is a easy-ish way to get some meatier guns if you want to get rid of the starter peashooters ASAP. I'll spoil it for those who don't want to jump too far up the murderchain too fast.

The EDF AI troopers in missions 1/2 are either stupidly tough, or just plain invincible even on Inferno. Their damage also seems to scale somewhat, and the ants are usually too busy chowing down on civvies to pay much attention to you and your buddies. As long as you're careful about not getting chomped on, you can tag along with them, and let them do most of the murdering. Just make sure to shoot at what they're shooting.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope nobody minds me asking here: I'm playing EDF 2017 on the PS vita, and playing most levels on 'normal'. How do I get better weapons? what should I do? just play through the entire game on normal first, then entire game on hard... or what? should I play any particular levels on hard? Hard is about as high as I can manage at the moment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

To be fair, sometimes you get tired of killing giant bugs and robots with the same old boring tank cannons the size of your body and you really want to change over to a shotgun the size of your body.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
If you want better weapons, its generally a good idea to farm on higher difficulties.Assuming the missions are the same as the one on the 360, there are some levels for you going underground. One of them involves a huge pit with bugs at the bottom. Its usually pretty easy to toss bombs or turrets down to kill them without much trouble. Theres also another later level which is nothing but spiders surrounding you. I think those levels are round the 40s or so? Its been a while so sadly I can't recall much. Its sometimes easier to skip around than playing Hard straight on through, since some fights are easier than others, like the two mentioned.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Easy, Normal and Hard have mostly the same drop pools, just accelerated a bit on hard so you're better off trying to tough out hard than wading through easy/normal if you want better guns. The first mission on hard can drop guns you won't find til the end of easy or middle of normal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh Air Tortoise. I keep trying to find your moment of glory, but you keep letting me down man. "Hey, those three legged walkers are pretty big. I'll bet the Air Tortise can get them!" Six or so lock and launches later, only one has actually managed to catch up and hit a tripod :negative: ...By the time I just killed it with my Assault rifle :black101: Oh ST series, you're so lovely against giant robots once I'm actually in range to HIT them with you.

As for farming, I admittedly dipped into the first mission on hard hoping for some better long range toys for the Starship mission. Item drops scaled from level 9-14ish, I'm still not sure where that level 21, 30 lock missile launcher came from.

Where I'm at in Normal my drops are catching up to them in level, one of the sniper rifles I got has shown up legit (3 burst S+ accurate 100ish per shot which I now use on the Tripods, not the 400 per shot one I used on Mothership to methodically one shot every single bomb and laser plate). Basically I want to try and make it through Normal with "Normal" Guns the first time through because I am insane, but it's been working so far. Plus it means I bother to try out other weapons that have been collecting dust, like my Level 4 Emerald launcher against Hornets and Drones, and the Volcano Tri rocket launcher making a badass first outing on Crimson.

Also, is there any way to clear off the NEW! marker on weapons beyond bringing them into a mission?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 26, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

The point of this game is to kill giant bugs and robots in good ways, and bigger weapons help you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Brasseye posted:

Mission 45 Blue Thunder is a Hector only level and has up to level 75 drop pool on inferno.