Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Seconding getting a real mask. These masks will filter out particulates, organic vapors from paint/solvent, and virtually all smells. I've literally worn one in a cadaver lab and couldn't smell the formaldehyde or bodies at all. They're also much more comfortable to wear and easier to breathe through than a paper mask. Lowest price I've found replacement filters is at Lowe's, for anyone that has one already.

That's what I roll with except I replaced the filters with P100s that handle organic vapors as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Mine also covers the eyes but I'm paranoid like that.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Midjack posted:

That's what I roll with except I replaced the filters with P100s that handle organic vapors as well.

I hope you're mixing up filter codes, because according to 3M's filter guide the P100 is only a particulate filter. The mask I linked (which has a lovely description on Amazon so I should have linked to Lowe's website instead) comes with an OV filter for organic vapors and a few P95 filters that are basically cloth screens to keep drywall dust and other particulates from clogging the OV filter. They make higher level filters (i.e. more expensive) that cover stuff in addition to organic vapors in case anyone here regularly deals with chlorine or acid gasses and doesn't want to buy two masks.

Note: That 3M link is supposed to be read across the centerfold but my PDF reader doesn't want to show 2 pages at once so its a pain to read.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I finally built my first kit!

Going to panel line it later and maybe do a flat clear coat, anything more than that is beyond my skill (and nerves).
Honestly wish I knew one of those super customizer dudes and have them make it awesome for me. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

I hope you're mixing up filter codes, because according to 3M's filter guide the P100 is only a particulate filter. The mask I linked (which has a lovely description on Amazon so I should have linked to Lowe's website instead) comes with an OV filter for organic vapors and a few P95 filters that are basically cloth screens to keep drywall dust and other particulates from clogging the OV filter. They make higher level filters (i.e. more expensive) that cover stuff in addition to organic vapors in case anyone here regularly deals with chlorine or acid gasses and doesn't want to buy two masks.

Note: That 3M link is supposed to be read across the centerfold but my PDF reader doesn't want to show 2 pages at once so its a pain to read.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/n100list1.html
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/p100list1.html

N masks are dry particles only; P masks do oil based particles and you can get a host of options with them, including vapors. I have cartridge 60923 out of that 3M document, a P100 with organic vapor filters (and some other crap I don't need but it was the same cost) as well.

Spray paint is an aerosol which will behave like an oil-based particle and the P100 will stop it unless you're doing something to make the aerosol particles unusually small. Organic vapor filtering will handle what's in the thinner as well, if you're lacquering and have a lot of those vapors concentrating in your work space - which will probably be making your eyes water too badly to work anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Who wants a look at the Dark Matter Booster in artwork form?

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/gundam-build-fighters-mecha-artwork.html

On a side note, I think the 00 Gundam should've gone with something like the Dark Matter Booster rather than the fragile generator-holding arm things it had.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Midjack posted:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/n100list1.html
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/p100list1.html

N masks are dry particles only; P masks do oil based particles and you can get a host of options with them, including vapors. I have cartridge 60923 out of that 3M document, a P100 with organic vapor filters (and some other crap I don't need but it was the same cost) as well.

Spray paint is an aerosol which will behave like an oil-based particle and the P100 will stop it unless you're doing something to make the aerosol particles unusually small. Organic vapor filtering will handle what's in the thinner as well, if you're lacquering and have a lot of those vapors concentrating in your work space - which will probably be making your eyes water too badly to work anyway.

Ok, since there are a bunch of P100 designated filters out there I just wanted to make sure you weren't cooking your lungs using one only for particulates (I see way too many people using the wrong kind of mask). Since I'm not a paint expert though, is oil filtration still important now that everyone seems to be transitioning away from oil-based paint? I know most paints have some sort of organic solvent in them (hence the importance of some sort of OV rated filter) but gently caress if I know what else they mix in as preservatives or propellents.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Does the GM Sniper K9 actually come with the regular looking sniper rifle? That giant beam rifle it wields on the cover art is a tad too ridiculous for me. I need some more grunt looking stuff to pose with my HG Jestas.

There's no MG Jesta Cannon on the horizon yet is there?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yes, and there will be soon. Just be patient like everybody else with a MG wishlist.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Revitalized posted:

Does the GM Sniper K9 actually come with the regular looking sniper rifle? That giant beam rifle it wields on the cover art is a tad too ridiculous for me. I need some more grunt looking stuff to pose with my HG Jestas.

There's no MG Jesta Cannon on the horizon yet is there?

The K9 comes with a regular sniper rifle, so you can have the K9 with the super rifle and the GM Sniper with the regular rifle. No MG Jesta Cannon yet, but a lot of people are predicting this since they already have the Jesta mold and pretty much anything Unicorn related prints money for Bandai.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So is there a good kit to practice painting with? Also should I stick with gundam markers or try to learn real painting skills?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SD kits are made for painting practice, pick any modern one. Also do you really need an answer to that question? Of course learn some real painting skills.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

SD kits are made for painting practice, pick any modern one. Also do you really need an answer to that question? Of course learn some real painting skills.

Works for me. I've always used gundam markers so it's just learning a new tool I suppose. I do have my strike noir that could use painting.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So is there a good kit to practice painting with? Also should I stick with gundam markers or try to learn real painting skills?

I did the same thing, I bought a kit to experiment on... the master gundam with the drat horse because I wanted that drat horse... and I broke the drat thing. Meanwhile the gundam is Frankenstein, I tried different gluing techniques on all the limbs and so on. Only thing I haven't done is tried to top coat it to see how those different techniques look 'completed'. Oh minus the stickers. Stickers look ugly so in the future I will be painting when possible.

That drat horse. Im going to get it again sometime and be much more careful.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So Gundam markers are absolutely worthless?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I use real touch markers, they're okay. Sure, a wash would be better, but I'm lazy.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Yeah I use these.

http://amzn.com/B0009AFN0S

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So Gundam markers are absolutely worthless?

If you ever want to do anything serious, yeah. The best thing you can say about them is that they match the color of the plastic. Otherwise there is literally nothing that you can do with them that you can not do better with some actual hobby paint.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Oh and mail day. These things are really starting to pile up. I swear I'm trying to work on them, I've just been busy!

Star Build, MG Build Strike, Kampfer, and Powergate booster... get!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

That is a lot of money spent on Build Fighters.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure absolutely nobody here has any right to judge anyone on how much they spend on Gundam merchandise. :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I have roughly two ikea wardrobes full of kits that are unbuilt. :shepicide:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I bought every single one of the first 135 BB-Senshi kits. Some more than once. I don't think it gets worse than that.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm pretty sure absolutely nobody here has any right to judge anyone on how much they spend on Gundam merchandise. :v:

See it comes more from me being a poor, college student and being jealous than judging.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My issue is sort of conditioned from my belief in scarcity of things I like over time = increased time searching and over all cost.

Admittedly I did cherry pick a bit (passing on the X-maoh for sure) Im snapping these guys up so they dont cost me an arm and a leg down the road.

My real debate now is if I should snag the clear build strike or wait. If I'm not mistaken one will be part of a bluray set and some were available at a recent event in Hong Kong so they should filter into the resale market.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Unlike basically any other model kit company, once Bandai pushes something out for general release, it will basically always be available. You may have to wait for some of the really old stuff, but you will eventually be able to get it for the listed price.

So yeah, no real point to being proactive.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I can understand both sides. I know I need to get on getting the Crossbone X3 and impulse destiny MGs since they are store exclusives. Unless for some reason I can slap the normal destiny backpack on an impulse.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Unlike basically any other model kit company, once Bandai pushes something out for general release, it will basically always be available. You may have to wait for some of the really old stuff, but you will eventually be able to get it for the listed price.

It took me about 4 years to realize this. You don't have to stockpile them, because they really never go away. Exclusives are a different thing, get those immediately, but anything you see on a shelf you will see on a shelf again.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

I have roughly two ikea wardrobes full of kits that are unbuilt. :shepicide:

I've never been able to do this. I get a kit and it becomes an obsession to build it. Then again I only buy one at a time, and they basically take over my desk/home office, so it might just be a necessity issue.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Finally got some more work done on the 3.0. Most of the build is done, now it's time for the detail work. :suicide:

Incidentally, gently caress how intricate the 3.0's arms are. I took the arms apart to paint the copper bits and slightly damaged one of the pieces. Now the whole arm can not return to normal if I bend it unless I take the whole thing apart and manually set it in place.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

:argh: Nobel Gundam...

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Just going to post some progress pics, because I promised myself I'd actually post some more of my stuff on this thread, and it keeps me motivated to finish stuff. Still have to finish painting some stuff, I'll post it when I'm done.

Of course I am big god drat idiot and the white piece on the skirt armor fell off while I moved it. gotta scour the apartment and look for it.

I thought the back tubing on the legs being all one color were a little plain so I painted them up.

Just gotta finish some small stuff and it's monster of a gun.
Edit- Also need to dust my table.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 25, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's true that Bandai almost never retires a mold, but things do go out of stock on a regular basis. I was thinking of picking up a Zaku 2.0 but they're sold out almost everywhere at the moment. Thought some 00 HGs might be nice too, but the only place with more than a handful in stock right now is Robots4LOLess, so that's not gonna happen either. And I might have grabbed a Nu v.Ka at the same time as the Sazabi, but THAT was out of stock too.

And depending on the series, some things do go a long time between reissues - I think the recent G-Unit restock was the first in, like, six years? Most of the EX Model line has been unavailable for quite a while now. Things like HG Dunbine and the older Bandai series may go even longer and are usually small runs that sell out really fast. I feel that if there's something you know you really want, it's best to get it while the getting's good, because you may not get to pick and choose your time later on.

Then again, I'm the guy with a walk-in closet full of the loving things and I may in fact be insane, so you might not want to listen to me.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nrjRFFmpI

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've been looking for a general Gundam kit I could stick some HGBF Boosters on for the hell of it (trying to find something that doesn't already have its own gimmick or excess shoulder/backpack stuff so it doesn't go to waste), and came across the Extreme Gundam with Electric Guitar Buster Rifle :rock:. Anyone own one and able to give an opinion on it?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I ordered (and got charged for) a Gouf 2.0 from Tatsu Hobby and then got informed that they've been out of stock for months, at which point they updated the store page to indicate as much. :geno: I guess I'll just have to find another kit that I like at a similar pricepoint.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We are getting the newest Dynasty Warriors Gundam in english
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/25/dynasty-warriors-gundam-reborn-hitting-us-europe-this-summer-o/
:circlefap:

no vita announcement though

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

And yet they still refuse to bring over any of the vs series, which are better games in every single way.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monaghan posted:

And yet they still refuse to bring over any of the vs series, which are better games in every single way.

Any non japanese speaker can play those though. There is nothing to read and everything has the same controls.
Gundam Musou has tons of dialog and you need to know what all the skills and mods do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Oh man, I'm conflicted between switching from the out-of-stock Gouf to a Zaku Cannon (sorta similar to the Zaku 2.0 I have but man the color scheme, those linked fusion guns, and shoulder cannon) or the RX-78 3.0 (I don't have an RX-78 yet).

• Locked thread