Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Last Action Hero was amazing, and it's even more amazing that a ton of people didn't realize it was a satire/comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyway, happy Twin Peaks day!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

Last Action Hero was amazing, and it's even more amazing that a ton of people didn't realize it was a satire/comedy.

That part still floors me. People were just legit blind mad that it wasn't T2 or something and never got the point.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

PittTheElder posted:

Also, to whoever in this thread was talking about Party Down, I'd like to thank you for introducing me to something wonderful.

I've totally wasted it by binging through most of it in two days though.

Haha add me to the list. I finally picked it up after everyone talked about it.

Also sign me up for the new Mike Judge show.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one that loves and is looking forward to the return of Legit this week? Any chance of another thread going up for it?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

xcore posted:

Am I the only one that loves and is looking forward to the return of Legit this week? Any chance of another thread going up for it?

I made last year's thread but it got so little activity that I'd rather annoy Couch Chat about it until it warrants a thread.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

I made last year's thread but it got so little activity that I'd rather annoy Couch Chat about it until it warrants a thread.

All good. Thanks for your efforts last year. I never really come to this thread but I might have to frequent it a bit more to spread the love too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

This one hits me extra hard because the Ghostbusters movie basically was my childhood. Everyone has that one movie or whatever that defined their childhood. Ghostbusters was mine. I used to watch the VHS every day during summer breaks when I was little.

Wayne's World for me, I've probably seen the film over 70 times and still haven't gotten tired of it.

I still can't get over the fact that there will be Heroes on TV again in TYOL 2015.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite childhood movies were Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Stripes... the usual.

Ramis will be missed, I even mildly enjoyed his recent output, like that one with David Duchovny.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CaptainHollywood posted:

Season 8 of Dexter. No contest.

Yeah, it's indubitable. S02 of HEROES wasn't bad as even the first season isn't actually great television, held to some reverence for being the first of its kind and not completely dooking the bed. If anything, season two suffered as other shows did then from truncated seasons for the writer's strike (PUSHING DAISIES probably the greatest ultimate casualty). It offered the most earnest attempt in the series at introducing new characters, presenting them as mainstays and not just supporting cast in whichever of eight arcs were concurrently unraveling, and wanted to depower the main cast after the events of S01, which was so needed that it continually happened over seasons.

Very unpopular opinion, but I think it's the second best season of the show.

VVV: Truly.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 25, 2014

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
it is the second best season of the show, because every successive season is worse. :v:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Broad City just got a second season! Woo!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Amongst my favorite childhood movies are naturally Ghostbusters, Stripes, Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, and Animal House. So yeah. Depressing day.

Also I contend Bedazzled was pretty funny.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^The Bedazzled remake definitely had some merit. Fun movie with some cool ideas on its mind.

precision posted:

Ramis will be missed, I even mildly enjoyed his recent output, like that one with David Duchovny.

You might be confusing Harold Ramis with Ivan Reitman. I don't think Ramis ever worked with Duchovny.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 25, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I won't put Bedazzled with his comedy classics but if I'm flipping channels and its on I'll stick around. It's got the same sly wit and charm of Ramis' other work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

You might be confusing Harold Ramis with Ivan Reitman. I don't think Ramis ever worked with Duchovny.

You're totally right, I keep confusing them ALL THE TIME for some reason.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I won't put Bedazzled with his comedy classics but if I'm flipping channels and its on I'll stick around. It's got the same sly wit and charm of Ramis' other work.

It's been a while since I last saw it, but I'm a particular sucker for God and Satan being portrayed as forces working in quasi-tandem, opposed to each other by nature but not necessarily at war. Ramis was always a smart guy, and that suggested a lot of cool ideas he had about the natures of sin and virtue.

Again, certainly not a perfect movie but one that was as interesting as it was funny. Might rewatch it this week, if only to double-check the impression I just put forward.

EDIT: And seriously, The Ice Harvest. It's a VERY different movie from Ramis's other work, and I wish more than ten people paid to watch it so we could see more of that side of him. Seek that movie out if you haven't seen it.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 25, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Today I'm gonna correct the egregious sin of having never seen Ghostbusters.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's not as good when you're a 20 something goon watching it for the first time after hearing how awesome it is.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

It's not as good when you're a 20 something goon watching it for the first time after hearing how awesome it is.

Its going to be a sad, sad day when kids can't sit through loving Ghostbusters because it was written in the slow, wry 80s style of comedy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was an 80s kid and loved the movie, but it's one of those things where if you spend 15 years hearing how great it is, you're bound to be disappointed.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

This is Ghostbusters in a nutshell, a pretty good comedy-adventure that you think is the greatest movie of all time if it came out when you were a kid. Seeing goons who really ought to know better unironically arguing that it's the greatest movie of all time or that the special effects are superior to anything today because the ghosts scared them when they were kids :biotruths: is really weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I actually hate the 80s/90s and think pretty much everything we're doing today is better than back then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On the other hand, "Ghostbusters, feh" is like the ultimate contrarian internet bullshit, Ghostbusters is a good rear end movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched Ghostbusters for the first time in a long time when it came out on blu ray and one thing I noticed was how inconsistent the special effects were. The ghosts still look good but those dogs look like crap.

Also it has some weird 80s quirks like how creepy Peter is to Dana.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not expecting it to be anything other than a funny comedy so that's fine. Also going on from the post above I've been watching Cheers and the gender politics are completely hosed-up. Was it all like this back then?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

Also it has some weird 80s quirks like how creepy Peter is to Dana.

Nothing creepier than a man who flirts with women.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

Not expecting it to be anything other than a funny comedy so that's fine. Also going on from the post above I've been watching Cheers and the gender politics are completely hosed-up. Was it all like this back then?

Thankfully we're a lot more enlightened than we were in the 80s. You don't have to be charming or show interest in a woman to get a date nowadays. Television has taught us that women love feckless losers (how convenient!). Nick from New Girl, for example, totally friendzoned his way into Jess's panties, and all it took was two years! Ben from P&R is a guy who didn't show any special attraction or affection towards his sweetheart until he asked her--respectfully, I might add--on a date. And Ted from HIMYM spent eight years waiting for Mrs. Right to fall on his dick. We laugh at the ridiculous romantic matches made by tumblerites, but they're right in a way: it doesn't take sexual chemistry or interest for two people to hook up. All it takes is relative proximity and time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
uhh I was referring to stuff like the episode that ends with Sam and Frasier locking Diane and Lilith in the bathroom and going out for cigars (or Diane's whole 'emotionally unstable woman' persona in general, I mean they literally gave her a nervous breakdown over a breakup) but yeah sure.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I came at you hard, bro.

Seriously, though, Diane is the proto-goon: a perpetual grad student who takes a holier-than-thou attitudes towards the plebs she works with, but falls to pieces the first time she faces any real adversity in her life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shelley Long is good but yeah Diane is obnoxious as hell and Sam could do way better!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The best part about watching 80s movies as a kid and then again when you get older is catching all the sexual innuendos that you missed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SIXTY NINE DUDES!!!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

zoux posted:

SIXTY NINE DUDES!!!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hey, Joe, I give you a lot of poo poo for your tastes in television, and in all likelihood I'm probably going to continue to give you poo poo. That tends to happen when I don't, you know, get where a person's coming from. But I want this known and on the record: It's always been clear that you're a very smart guy and your point of view is refreshing, even if I don't agree with it -- hell, even if I don't get it.

If you're a troll, you're possibly the greatest troll to ever roam the Internet. But if you're for real, that doesn't change how cool you are, if only because of how shamelessly you go against the grain, and how damned entertaining you can be about it. If I had that ability I'd be a much better person than I am.

Keep doing you!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Irish Joe is awesome. I secretly cheer whenever someone takes one of his posts too seriously and gets annoyed about it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, and just so I'm clear.

Irish Joe posted:

Thankfully we're a lot more enlightened than we were in the 80s. You don't have to be charming or show interest in a woman to get a date nowadays. Television has taught us that women love feckless losers (how convenient!). Nick from New Girl, for example, totally friendzoned his way into Jess's panties, and all it took was two years! Ben from P&R is a guy who didn't show any special attraction or affection towards his sweetheart until he asked her--respectfully, I might add--on a date. And Ted from HIMYM spent eight years waiting for Mrs. Right to fall on his dick. We laugh at the ridiculous romantic matches made by tumblerites, but they're right in a way: it doesn't take sexual chemistry or interest for two people to hook up. All it takes is relative proximity and time.

I'm not laughing at this at all. This is a fantastic observation, even though I'd argue that there was more intangible sexual energy building between Leslie and Ben before they hooked up.

And I guess I'd also argue that Nick wasn't really on Jess's radar until he kissed her, but I'd have to re-watch the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Proximity and time are usually the most important factors towards two people hooking up, provided one of them isn't a fat nerd.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm calling bullshit on the "Ghostbusters is only awesome if you were a kid when it came out" because there is a LOT of poo poo I loved in the 80s that I can't stand now (Beverly Hills Cop comes to mind).

I don't think it's like, the greatest film ever, but it's definitely a top 20 comedy of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hopefully you weren't replying to me, because that's not what I meant.

• Locked thread