Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cronox2 posted:

Including Fuuka?

Fuuka is less of a character than the dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It really isn't a surprise that the new thief isn't very good.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Fuuka is less of a character than the dog.

That's because Koromaru is one bad rear end motherfucker.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

To be fair Koromaru is more of a character than 99% of characters in most other video games

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Rirse posted:

Alex posted his review for Thief 2014. He gave it a 2 out of 5 stars.

As someone who never really enjoyed the original Thief games , his description doesn't sound that far off from how I remember the series, especially the descriptions of the stealth and combat mechanics. (Did people really like Thief games because they were good or did they like it because it was Looking Glass and the non-shooty first person shooter was revolutionary for the time?)

emoticon fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 25, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Rise could have been a good character but her voice actress was terrible and grating.

I guess if that was the point then yeah she did an amazing job.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

emoticon posted:

As someone who never really enjoyed the original Thief games , his description doesn't sound that far off from how I remember the series, especially the descriptions of the stealth and combat mechanics. (Did people really like Thief games because they were good or did they like it because it was Looking Glass and the non-shooty first person shooter was revolutionary for the time?)

Non-FPS first person games were not new whatsoever. Looking Glass made some of the best of the early ones, including Ultima Underworld and System Shock. I played Thief 1 for the first time last year and thought it was brilliant. I can't imagine any game that plays like that being released for $60 today, unfortunately, and Thief 2014 doesn't seem to be doing anything to disabuse me of that notion. The original Thief games are complex, open in a way that almost no games today are(even open world games typically pursue a different type of openness), and designed to provide both a technical and creative challenge to the player. Levels are enormous and free-flowing puzzles that can take hours to complete for a meticulous player on a high difficulty, and they require you to really think about the tools you have available and how they can be applied.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Laura Bailey is a good rear end VA, I'll kick your bony rear end barons

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A shame Labrys doesn't count.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

emoticon posted:

"I don't like these games, so I have to question whether or not they were ever good."

Come on, man. The Thief games aren't perfect, but they have some of the best level design ever put into a video game, and are also a masterclass in how to create a pervasive atmosphere and effective sound design that complements the gameplay. The graphics are dated, but those games still stand out, particularly because things like level design have actually regressed since then. You only need to look at Dishonored or Mark of the Ninja to see how well that design mentality holds up today, especially where stealth games are concerned.

At the time I thought Metal Gear Solid was loving garbage because I had played Thief a few months prior.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Laura Bailey is a good rear end VA, I'll kick your bony rear end barons

She did a poo poo job as a dumb anime character I will blast your face with miasma.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I was thinking about Persona 4 today and if that game was set in America instead of Japan it would ruin it. A small American town in the middle of nowhere out in the boonies where the most exciting thing to do on a weekend is hang out at the Walmart. Charlie Joe the fancy city boy moves in with his uncle who is the small town sheriff and his niece who sits at home and watches daytime TV.

It would be awful.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Overbite posted:

I was thinking about Persona 4 today and if that game was set in America instead of Japan it would ruin it. A small American town in the middle of nowhere out in the boonies where the most exciting thing to do on a weekend is hang out at the Walmart. Charlie Joe the fancy city boy moves in with his uncle who is the small town sheriff and his niece who sits at home and watches daytime TV.

It would be awful.

If it was set in England the murderer would have just been some Chav who nicked their mobiles after stabbing them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
In other lovely game news: Alex's Thi4f review

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Overbite posted:

It would be awful.

All I can think about when reading this is Persona 5: Friday Night Lights. And I'm not sure if that would be the best thing or the worst thing (the murder subplot of FNL was definitely terrible)...

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

She did a poo poo job as a dumb anime character I will blast your face with miasma.

Laura Bailey is the best.

She's the only Boss that matters :colbert:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
:spergin: Now you know the pain of oldschool DMC fans :spergin:

Just kidding: this Thief looks way worse and off-the-mark than DmC ever did.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 25, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Laura Bailey is good when she's not trying to sound tough. I don't like her breathy tough girl voice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Overbite posted:

Laura Bailey is good when she's not trying to sound tough. I don't like her breathy tough girl voice.

Yea she seems to think 'tough girl' means like, half winded and half trying to sound sexy, and it feels really weird. Like if a lady was trying to get you in bed after running a 5k. She's good any other time though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

:spergin: Now you know the pain of oldschool DMC fans :spergin:

Just kidding: this Thief looks way worse and off-the-mark than DmC ever did.

DmC was pretty good! Not as good as DMC3 or anything, but 2 is still the low point of that series.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Overbite posted:

It would be awful.

I don't really see how that's much different except the cultural references are ones you're familiar with instead of japanese.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't really see how that's much different except the cultural references are ones you're familiar with instead of japanese.

I'm pretty sure that was the joke.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Yodzilla posted:

In other lovely game news: Alex's Thi4f review
This reads like they took all the wrong lessons from Dishonored (mysticism, heavy supernatural plot focus) and missed everything good (validity of combat, mobility, brilliant level and quest design). Very unfortunate, although not exactly surprising considering how high that bar has been raised.

... i needed to start another Dishonored playthrough anyway, so thanks for the reminding me, thiaf!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

DmC was pretty good! Not as good as DMC3 or anything, but 2 is still the low point of that series.

Not talking poo poo about your opinion of course; I'm just remembering how last year some people were decrying the older DMC games and how they weren't really that good, and comparing that to this Thief reboot.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This reads like they took all the wrong lessons from Dishonored (mysticism, heavy supernatural plot focus)

I haven't played Thief in like 14 years but I remember there being a ton of supernatural poo poo in the originals too, it's not like this is uncharacteristic to the series.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Overbite posted:

It would be awful.

It is pretty funny when you realize that "But it's in Glorious Nippon!" is enough to make something magical and mysterious.

Persona 4 would have been rad if they'd brought on some of the Deadly Premonition guys as advisors.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Equilibrium posted:

I haven't played Thief in like 14 years but I remember there being a ton of supernatural poo poo in the originals too, it's not like this is uncharacteristic to the series.

It's an actual fantasy setting where you rob literal wizards. There are zombies and fireballs and stuff. This is the original Thief I'm talking about.

Also crab men.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The original Persona 1 translation for PS1 shows what happens when you take the most anime of series and try to fake it into an American setting.

It's like changing the setting of Sleeping Dogs to New York or something.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's an actual fantasy setting where you rob literal wizards. There are zombies and fireballs and stuff. This is the original Thief I'm talking about.

Also crab men.

Also ancient trickster gods / plant men.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Manatee Cannon posted:

The original Persona 1 translation for PS1 shows what happens when you take the most anime of series and try to fake it into an American setting.

http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=120913

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

uPen posted:

Also ancient trickster gods / plant men.

Yeah, if anything there's less supernatural stuff in the new one, and it's much worse off for it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Persona 1 was real bad. I don't even feel bad saying this as someone who loving loves Persona. The terrible translation was just the icing on the terrible cake.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The supernatural stuff in the first two Thief games (the ones I played) was pretty well done. It just added to the mythos and atmosphere. It was really weird stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 8-4 podcast just had this conversation about Persona's localization decision and how the guy that translated on Silent Hill 2+Metal Gear Solid probably would've considered making it set in America. They also comment on the posted link topic that Capcom is regretting changing the settings in Phoenix Wright.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbot posted:

The supernatural stuff in the first two Thief games (the ones I played) was pretty well done. It just added to the mythos and atmosphere. It was really weird stuff.

Yeah, it was very lovecraftian - it was the sort of world where you'd never really see anything supernatural unless you actively went looking for it, and what you'd find would always be super messed up. I particularly loved how they handled all the pagan/nature worship; in most mythologies, these would be the good guys, with noble intentions of cleansing the evil technological creep of man. In Thief, nature is a poisonous corruption that represents pure chaos and its followers conduct sick demonic rituals and sacrifice people to their loving satyric forest deity. It's awesome.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

randombattle posted:

Persona 1 was real bad. I don't even feel bad saying this as someone who loving loves Persona. The terrible translation was just the icing on the terrible cake.

I've only just started Persona 3(Just got Fuuka), and beyond that and about 1/3 of the Persona 4 LP, I barely know anything about Persona. What was so bad/different about Persona 1?

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Hey Nancy, I'm back from my school's field trip to the Twin Cities. I bought you this lamp.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've only just started Persona 3(Just got Fuuka), and beyond that and about 1/3 of the Persona 4 LP, I barely know anything about Persona. What was so bad/different about Persona 1?

3/4 are completely different systems wise than 1/2. I tried playing P1 and just could not get into it at all with how painfully slow the battles play out compared to the later games.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Hakkesshu posted:

"I don't like these games, so I have to question whether or not they were ever good."

Yeah? I remember classmates smugly telling me that I should play it because it was a thinking man's game, unlike Quake, so I hope you understand why I would question whether it holds up or whether it was just another Black and White situation. Or maybe I'm saying that my opinion's right and everyone who said it was good is wrong. It's the Internet, so who knows what I mean? (Assume the worst.)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

emoticon posted:

Yeah? I remember classmates smugly telling me that I should play it because it was a thinking man's game, unlike Quake, so I hope you understand why I would question whether it holds up or whether it was just another Black and White situation. Or maybe I'm saying that my opinion's right and everyone who said it was good is wrong. It's the Internet, so who knows what I mean? (Assume the worst.)

I mean they aren't Myst or anything. Yeah, a game based around thieving was novel at the time, but no one would be talking about them today if they weren't great games. They did for stealth gameplay what DOOM did for first-person shooters. Arguably they have not been surpassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trw
Dec 24, 2003
The only thing outdated in Thief is the graphics. Even if 1 and 2 came out today the sound and leveldesign would be considered fantastic. Sadly stealth-ai haven't evolved either so even though it's kinda bad in the old games it's still better than most modern games.

From reading a few reviews of the new one it seems like they tried for some middlepoint between 'modern game design' and 'old-school design' which in the end didn't seem to please anyone. Gameinformer complained about them sticking too much to the old games while everyone else seem to think they didn't take anything of the things that was good in the old games.

• Locked thread