Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I've only just started Persona 3(Just got Fuuka), and beyond that and about 1/3 of the Persona 4 LP, I barely know anything about Persona. What was so bad/different about Persona 1?

1 and 2 were basically normal JRPGs which at the time they were made meant EXTREMELY slow combat and a generic plot with not a ton to do between boss fights.

It was in 3 when the high school life management aspects came in, and social links (I think?) and other things that make Persona what we think of now, as well as generally had more interesting writing and characters and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
2 has a far better story than 3 or 4, or honestly anything Atlus has done since.

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.
I wouldn't say that the storyline to any of the Persona's was standard jRPG fare. I mean, Persona 1 wasn't great, but it was pretty rare to play as contemporary highschool students in a bustling city.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Daius posted:

Hey Nancy, I'm back from my school's field trip to the Twin Cities. I bought you this lamp.

You open the fridge and see a half empty 3 liter of Rock 'n Rye. The cap is missing. Drink it?

>Yes

It's flat. You decide to go to bed early.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Human posted:

I wouldn't say that the storyline to any of the Persona's was standard jRPG fare. I mean, Persona 1 wasn't great, but it was pretty rare to play as contemporary highschool students in a bustling city.

Fair point I forgot how rare modern/vaguely cyberpunk themes were in JRPGs, yea the stories weren't great but even in 1 and 2 they were trying new things, and that's good.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Overbite posted:

You open the fridge and see a half empty 3 liter of Rock 'n Rye. The cap is missing. Drink it?

>Yes

It's flat. You decide to go to bed early.

|-------------------------------------|
|You spend the day Shitposting Online. |

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Patrick just retweeted this re: Thief 4.

:raise:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

This is when game journalists should start digging and interviewing these people. But nope all we ever get are hype and puff pieces. No preview can ever be bad, maybe in a couple of years in a post mortem or something

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

hey man you got a retweet what more do you want

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah who knows what was signed by whom and what kind of retaliation that brings, not to mention ever wanting to work with people ever again. Patrick is good at getting stories where there are stories to be got but yeah post-mortems are the best bet we usually have.

I loving love a good post-mortem, good game or bad.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Thief, from the acclaimed writer of Mirror's Edge and Tomb Raider.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

|You spend the day Shitposting Online. |

Persona 4 if you played as Mitsuo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cronox2 posted:

Thief, from the acclaimed writer of Mirror's Edge and Tomb Raider.

Rhianna Pratchett has never worked on anything that had a good story, but she was also one of the top backers on the Idle Thumbs kickstarter so she's p. cool :cool:

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
I thought Tomb Raider was pretty good :(

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JuHoZ posted:

I thought Tomb Raider was pretty good :(

It was but it didn't have a good story.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Looks like tomorrow is a pretty stacked day content-wise on Giants Bomb.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yeah the tomb raider story was pretty boring mystical force thing. The shooting is the only thing the game does well.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Rhianna Pratchett has never worked on anything that had a good story, but she was also one of the top backers on the Idle Thumbs kickstarter so she's p. cool :cool:

Prince of Persia and Overlord were pretty good?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Yodzilla posted:

She's definitely not the kind of writer her father was, that's for sure.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It's official, Polygon is The New Yorker of video games: http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/24/5419788/eve-online-thrilling-boring

Look at those goddamn illustrations.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Rookersh posted:

Prince of Persia and Overlord were pretty good?

I've been playing through Prince of Persia for the first time, and I'm continually struck by the parallels to Enslaved. Unlike Enslaved, I like the characters in Prince of Persia and can understand their relationship and motivations.

Like Enslaved, the combat is really dumb and repetitive. The platforming is flashier than the "jump on the orange thing" platforming of Enslaved, but it's pretty similarly toothless.

In conclusion, Rhianna Pratchett's games have dumb video game stories, but cool characters. Also, Enslaved is bad and I do not like it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah who knows what was signed by whom and what kind of retaliation that brings, not to mention ever wanting to work with people ever again. Patrick is good at getting stories where there are stories to be got but yeah post-mortems are the best bet we usually have.

Nothing bothers me more then this garbage. It's just so god drat dumb that it is this way when no other industry is. Film companies never said "No Roger Ebert if you say a bad thing we will never let you watch our movies" because he wasn't willing to be intimidated by everything. No one is ever going to respect video game "journalism" when everyone is afraid to do actual journalism on potentially interesting things.

Like when Microsoft just up and did a 180 on every single policy for the xbone. That's something that warrants some investigation on what caused all that and where it started but nope can't do that because someone might tattle on you then Microsoft won't give you interviews. It's loving stupid. Or like Irrational just dissolving out of nowhere and looking very much like Ken Levine just fired everyone. Will we see any journalism in investigating what the gently caress that was about? Nope Levine might not give us an interview but we talked to him once about his video games and he seemed like a cool dude so he's probably fine.

Meanwhile in actual journalism oh accusations of racism against world famous and multi-millionaire Paula Deen? Let's investigate who is behind this, who said these things, what actually happened, and what this means. And that's just a loving story on a tv chef.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

She's definitely not the kind of writer her father was, that's for sure.

Wait, was? You can't tell me Terry Pratchett is dead, there's no way.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Journalists can rag on Paula Deen for her racism because there's not a single thing she can do or deny them resources to their newspaper. You can't say the same for a gaming site, who has a very narrow subject and resource to said specific subject.

DannyHibiki
Feb 8, 2001

Once you POP, you can't STOP!

randombattle posted:

No one is ever going to respect video game "journalism" when everyone is afraid to do actual journalism on potentially interesting things.

Uh I think the retaliation would apply more to the sources for a story like that than the journalist that would write it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DannyHibiki posted:

Uh I think the retaliation would apply more to the sources for a story like that than the journalist that would write it.

So what you are saying is we need a wikileaks for videogames!?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait, was? You can't tell me Terry Pratchett is dead, there's no way.

He's not, but he's also, depressingly, not a very good writer anymore.

His latest book was a bit of a let down but it's pretty understandable why.

He's still one of the greatest fantasy writers ever.

DannyHibiki
Feb 8, 2001

Whiteycar posted:

So what you are saying is we need a wikileaks for videogames!?

I dunno. Most people don't really like airing dirty laundry though.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

DannyHibiki posted:

Anonymous sources remaining anonymous have been the oldest tool of actual journalism since the first time a cave man sat down and went "I should really look into this story more so other people can know about it."

DannyHibiki
Feb 8, 2001

It's harder to stay anonymous in a small industry like video games.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Patrick Klepek: bad journalist or worst journalist? You decide.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

randombattle posted:

Anonymous sources remaining anonymous have been the oldest tool of actual journalism since the first time a cave man sat down and went "I should really look into this story more so other people can know about it."

Yeah that's uh...a pretty basic part of the whole thing. I don't get why everything has to get thrown out the window when it comes to covering games. People have done this before with a whole lot of other topics.

DannyHibiki posted:

Harder than what? It's hard to stay anonymous anywhere, and not all investigative journalism goes after Halliburton.

I dunno, I'm more inclined to think that people don't want to risk their jobs over a hot video game scoop but then again not all journalism is about earth-shattering topics.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Not a journalist as he keeps trying to tell people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Patrick Klepek is a video game columnist.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Not a journalist as he keeps trying to tell people.

Yeah right! They don't call him Scoops because of how well he can make an ice cream cone.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I don't have a strong opinion on this topic but Alex had a funny moment today related to this: "I'm not a journalist! I write about video games!"

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

DannyHibiki posted:

There's way more people in a single video game company than in a single political office and they seem to not have much of a problem communicating with journalists.

It's clear there is a lack of anything resembling journalism on one side and no desire to share information on the other side. Either one could push the other into changing a bit but no one will ever even attempt to change anything because 99% of them are too busy with fluff pieces featuring lovely New Yorker style artwork while patting themselves on the back for being such awesome journalists.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Patrick Klepek is an entertainer not a journalist as he has stated before.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arstan posted:

I've been playing through Prince of Persia for the first time, and I'm continually struck by the parallels to Enslaved. Unlike Enslaved, I like the characters in Prince of Persia and can understand their relationship and motivations.

Like Enslaved, the combat is really dumb and repetitive. The platforming is flashier than the "jump on the orange thing" platforming of Enslaved, but it's pretty similarly toothless.

In conclusion, Rhianna Pratchett's games have dumb video game stories, but cool characters. Also, Enslaved is bad and I do not like it.

Well. I'm going to spoil the ending here, so you might not want to read this, but to defend what I said.

Overlord was great just due to the nature of what happened and why. A party of 8 went into that tower, with each character being a DnD hero type. You had a rogue, a wizard, a warrior, a paladin, etc. After leaving, they all picked up one of the seven deadly sins, the paladin became lustful, the elf sloth, etc. So you go around the land killing all these people for being dicks, and stealing their poo poo. The funny part is, if you go through all the DnD archtypes and apply them to the bosses you fight, the last party member, ie you, must have been the groups bard. So it's also a direct wink/nod to the old Bards Tale games, because you are a raging rear end in a top hat bard with an army of minions murdering your way across the countryside.

It's not the most compelling plot, but in terms of fantasy/video games, it's pretty well done. It's the closest she's done to her fathers work at least, albeit a lite version.

Prince of Persia is mainly good for the ending. Well, the ending before the epilogue, which she didn't write. Because you gently caress it all up, you ruin everything, and you let the world burn so you can reverse the heroic sacrifice of the other character. It's the perfect gently caress you moment, as you get to watch the world be saved, the watch it all burn seconds later because your character is a horrible piece of poo poo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jabronie posted:

I don't have a strong opinion on this topic but Alex had a funny moment today related to this: "I'm not a journalist! I write about video games!"
Well, i guess someone has to

• Locked thread