Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Iserlohn posted:

How bad were people guiding you, Slowbeef? Were you getting E-mails at midnight that were like "Hey man, I've got this 100% guaranteed pro strat to get Seathe's tail!" while you were in the Burg, or what?

A couple people were genuinely trying to be helpful, but it ends up like "The area boss (or should I say bosses!) of Anor Londo are the toughest fight in the game." And then, someone else would be like "Ornstein and Smough are the toughest boss fight" and then it's like, "Okay, well, I guess I'm fighting them next." Part of the reason I decided to just finish the game ahead of time is for that. (I beat it last night.)

The other problem is you can't tell when people are being sort of funnily "Oh haha, I can't stand to watch this!" or genuinely upset by video games. And if it's the latter, you kinda get tempted to gently caress yourself over to screw with them.

But I'll give you an example.

Firelink's Fire Keeper gets indisposed at some point, right? So you can go fight someone and get a Fire Keeper soul. That specific soul can be used to undo what happened.

Okay.

The game actually doesn't tell you that part. The item description describes the soul differently, but it's a nice little poem about the Fire Keeper, not even a "there's still a glimmer of hope here" or something. People still yell "read item descriptions!" and "oh my god, I can't believe you didn't do that" and go on and on, except the game's item description actually doesn't tell you that, and there really isn't much to indicate this rare item is different from the 3 you've gotten previously. There's other people's comments like "I did that exact thing," but you still get people coming in like you're some kind of idiot for that.

Also keep in mind, it's edited to keep things interesting, and I think the last thing people want to see is someone meticulously reading. Granted, some people actually do want to see that, but it's a tier of Dark Souls fandom I don't think I want to cater to.

I'm totally fine with people making fun of me for playing poorly, but I feel like it gets to a point where people start just looking for anything, even if it doesn't really make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
I think for blind Dark Souls LP's it's probably a better bet to do what Geop did and just turn off Youtube comments.

Actually for most LP's that's probably the best bet.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

ritcheyz posted:

I think for blind Dark Souls LP's it's probably a better bet to do what Geop did and just turn off Youtube comments.

See, here's my problem: It is loving funny to watch people freak out about Dark Souls sometimes.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ritcheyz posted:

Actually for most LP's that's probably the best bet.

Just turn off Youtube comments in general.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

slowbeef posted:

A couple people were genuinely trying to be helpful, but it ends up like "The area boss (or should I say bosses!) of Anor Londo are the toughest fight in the game." And then, someone else would be like "Ornstein and Smough are the toughest boss fight" and then it's like, "Okay, well, I guess I'm fighting them next." Part of the reason I decided to just finish the game ahead of time is for that. (I beat it last night.)

Did you do the DLC? If not, you really should since the whole thing is absolutely fantastic. Actually getting there is is really obtuse though and basically needs a guide.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

JordanKai posted:

Just turn off comments in general. My quality of life has increased tenfold since I began carrying around duct tape everywhere I go.

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need

slowbeef posted:

See, here's my problem: It is loving funny to watch people freak out about Dark Souls sometimes.

To be fair, I was one of those Youtube people who said "I returned her soul on my first time" and you respondeded to the effect of 'There's nothing which tells you this at all' which is a completely fair thing to say.

I just figured that the Firekeeper soul that Lautrec had belonged to the Firekeeper he just killed. Also my first Dark Souls playthrough took around 80 hours since I played incredibly carefully and thought about everything I did.

Anyway, it's fun to remember that there was a corpse where you found the first Firekeeper Soul, and Lautrec was upstairs in prison for ~who knows why~

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Andrast posted:

Did you do the DLC? If not, you really should since the whole thing is absolutely fantastic. Actually getting there is is really obtuse though and basically needs a guide.

Yeah, I did it. Basically, I trusted Betus and Dectilon for stuff like "tell me if I'm gonna miss cool poo poo" so Betus walked me through that. I used a map for finding Kalameet though because I couldn't understand his directions in text.

Last night, I also used a guide to complete the Siegmeyer questline, because I was really curious how that would turn out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ritcheyz posted:

To be fair, I was one of those Youtube people who said "I returned her soul on my first time" and you respondeded to the effect of 'There's nothing which tells you this at all' which is a completely fair thing to say.

I just figured that the Firekeeper soul that Lautrec had belonged to the Firekeeper he just killed.

Even so, nothing really tells you that you can go back to the firekeeper's cage and return her soul. As far as someone playing blind is concerned, it's just another upgrade for the estus flask.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's really not a big deal either way. While Firelink shrine is a useful bonfire, you don't absolutely need it at that point in the game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JordanKai posted:

I bet you use the ignore list, too. Youtube comments are hilarious as is anything which causes people to go into a frothing rage.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah there are. I ended up talking to a guy who YouTubes for a living and he flat out said that he'll rush to get videos done as fast as possible so he's got the earliest content up of a major release. How do you even have fun with a game at that point?

That's the thing I don't get. I'd rather be paid for doing a job I enjoy, as opposed to being paid for doing a job I don't care about. In the video I linked, the guy feels like he's forced to finish a game he's obviously not enjoying in the slightest.

And yeah, the game was released a few days ago. It's new and pretty horrible. People are going both for the "Day One" thing, and the "Wow this game is so bad hahaha laugh sheep it's bad so it's funny I don't need commentary for this" thing.

ritcheyz posted:

Also my first Dark Souls playthrough took around 80 hours since I played incredibly carefully and thought about everything I did.

I think people forget just how horrifying their initial playthroughs were. If a Phantom didn't reveal to me where Havel's armor was, I don't think I ever would of beaten the game, haha.

The initial playthrough is never going to be an optimized experience. That's what NG+ is for, after all.

Livingtrope posted:

I bet you use the ignore list, too. Youtube comments are hilarious as is anything which causes people to go into a frothing rage.

I think this one is my favorite so far. The guy felt it was needed to post this three times intentionally.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 24, 2014

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Yeah, as much as I like Dark Souls, I wish some things weren't so easy to miss/mess up. For some NPC sidequests, you pretty much have to use a guide or ask someone, as the soapstone messages can't really help with that. Some you can just straight up miss entirely, like I think slowbeef did with Logan in Sen's Fortress. Saving a particular character in Lost Izalith requires something really specific, as well. Oh, and just out of curiosity, since it hasn't been uploaded yet, slowbeef, what order did you take the last four bosses in? I saw on your stream you did Four Kings last, which is always the one I took on first.

I've played through the game twice and never realized that you can restore the Firekeeper in Firelink.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Livingtrope posted:

This is the reason I hope people like Pewdiepie and DSP never go away

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

This is the reason I hope people like Pewdiepie and DSP never go away

I just wish they weren't so dang popular. It's really not the best thing that the Let's Play community ends up getting represented by people like these.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

KamenZero posted:

I just wish they weren't so dang popular. It's really not the best thing that the Let's Play community ends up getting represented by people like these.

Ah, yes, they are such a stain on the community of people who play video games while talking to themselves and those who watch people talk to themselves playing video games

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Saagonsa posted:

Ah, yes, they are such a stain on the community of people who play video games while talking to themselves and those who watch people talk to themselves playing video games

This but unironically.

I don't care what subculture you're rolling with, a shitstain is a shitstain. Especially with a subculture with an undeniable and demonstrable mainstream appeal, having that shitstain be front and centre is not a good thing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think part of it is that people want to see someone's reactions to ALL the content, but there's some stuff you won't see on a blind first run without a guide. So they try to steer you towards that stuff, without really remembering that a lot of the fun of Dark Souls is discovery of weird little things.

Hell, I've put in a hundred hours into the game and I still am learning stuff from Ritcheyz's LP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Especially with a subculture with an undeniable and demonstrable mainstream appeal

Because let's plays are on the news every day

You also don't seem to realize that the popular let's players that give it a wider attention are guys like PDP.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

What news site covers LP's?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
LP is a super dumb hobby, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Just because we enjoy LP'ing and watching LP videos doesn't mean the concept isn't plain silly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sneaky Fast posted:

What news site covers LP's?

Hey man, the front page is, in fact, still there

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The only LPer that could be called "mainstream" is pewdiepie; and that's because he has 23 million subscribers which is twice the population of Belgium. Sure, many don't watch his videos regularly, but there probably are some TV shows that wouldn't mind having 3 million regular viewers watching day in, day out. Even then, its not as big as you'd think - people regularly posting in the Let's Play sub forum of the Something Awful forums are going to think that LPs have a much bigger reach.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

This but unironically.

I don't care what subculture you're rolling with, a shitstain is a shitstain. Especially with a subculture with an undeniable and demonstrable mainstream appeal, having that shitstain be front and centre is not a good thing.

I also take videos of people talking to themselves playing video games very seriously and shall fight to the death to protect it. You're currently sounding like slowbeef's best friend.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ah man, I was hoping that link was going to be to some rant by khad.

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013
Yes, it's a dumb hobby, but it's a hobby I enjoy partaking in. Have I ever made an LP? No. But I do enjoy watching people play video games, having relevant commentary, and being genuinely funny and enjoyable to watch and listen to, and I guess I don't like that PewDiePie is becoming the precedent for what makes a popular Lets Play. But, in the end, if I have to slog through thousands of garbage heaps to find a gem, then I will.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
The one thing is I don't think the majority of "mainstream" PewDiePie fans care about Let's Play or anything. They're mostly people who laughed at the guy with the funny accent screaming at "some video game."

One interesting thing I'm finding... LPers themselves seem to uniformly hate PewDiePie. Like, a few can't talk about it because they're on the same network, and a lot are afraid of pissing off his fanbase (and not getting any of the crossover), but it's rare to find people who make these videos and actually enjoy his work.

edit: oops wrong guy

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 25, 2014

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

KamenZero posted:

There's always the possibility for people to improve.

Looking at youtube lp's in particular, I can think of a few who have gotten dramatically better over time.

PrinceBoo21's Monster Hunter Trinity LP was one of the most annoying things to which I have ever subjected myself. His MH3U LP, while still not quite up to SA standards was much closer and a lot less annoying, even if he did spend about a third of it griping about the comments he would inevitably receive over using gear many tiers beyond where his character should have been.

To give another example, watch SA's PerochialJoe's pre-sale Lp's, like Far Cry 1, in which he vocalizes extra sound effects every time he hits someone with his kukri. I don't think anyone could deny that he has improved from there.

Granted that, while they're getting paid, there's little incentive to change, it's still possible.

That's actually, perhaps, a side benefit to the whole "release day surge" thing - it keeps the players focused on the fact that the game is more important than the player, which gets lost with some of the outfits (like game grumps) that focus on games that have been out for a while.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Because let's plays are on the news every day

You also don't seem to realize that the popular let's players that give it a wider attention are guys like PDP.

Yo, duder, I think he means that as in 'And especially in the kind of hobbies people have that actually reaches out to a broader group' like Football or Nascar.

No one wants shitheels interested in the same things as them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Why? You can easily ignore the shitheels, especially when it's a hobby based in the Internet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yo, duder, I think he means that as in 'And especially in the kind of hobbies people have that actually reaches out to a broader group' like Football or Nascar.

Hey man, if every 80s movie has taught me anything, it's that similar hobbies is a way for people with different tastes to come together and find out that maybe they're not so different after all.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

slowbeef posted:

The one thing is I don't think the majority of "mainstream" PewDiePie fans care about Let's Play or anything. They're mostly people who laughed at the guy with the funny accent screaming at "some video game."

That's probably the case. If you look him up on tumblr (which I really would not recommend unless you also can't sleep at 2am; its the worst thing and not even funny) all you get are things of him; not the stuff that he plays. To be honest; it probably wouldn't affect him much if he was to drop the game thing entirely. He won't because the whole formula is working, he's managed to tap into the tumblr crowd who are willing to not only watch his videos but spend quite a bit of money on the shite he sells as well as some of the sad nerds who watch LPs all day. He also manages to annoy the worst type of people who are annoyed because he's a popular person who plays video games and has :siren:FEMALE FANS:siren:; which I'm all for

I'm personally OK with pewdiepie if he's stopped the whole "rape rape rape" poo poo. His videos now seem to be very screechy white noise, and they're easy enough to ignore. Then again, I also seem to end up watching chuggaaconroy's pokemon lps; so what do I know :v:. I don't follow LPs as much as most people here though; for me its just noise while studying or something when I haven't got anything else to listen too; and even then random cricket games between two teams in South Africa seem to take priority... I only watch betus's Mario LP regularly as it is released, and I'll randomly pick stuff out of the LP Archive if I need a pretty large amount of time filled. I imagine if you're trying to actually find good stuff regularly then dealing with screechy guys is a problem; but it doesn't seem like something to get angry over?

RareAcumen posted:

hahaha; the idea of comparing lps to sport is the dumbest thing ever because they are completely different things.

e: jesus christ, I just wrote a whole bunch of words on lp, someone please kill me :smith:

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

I really don't have anything against PDP personally: His videos can go straight to hell, but he's all about charity, and seems to treat his fans with respect. This statement is redacted: I forgot there were actual reasons to dislike the guy.

I can't say the same about many other LPers on YouTube, who lash out in horrible ways if you dare criticize them, even slightly.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 25, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

IceAgeComing posted:

e: jesus christ, I just wrote a whole bunch of words on lp, someone please kill me :smith:

As a fan of longform, it's okay to write more than two paragraphs on LP. People will tl;dr anything nowadays and it's dumb.

I think the thing that gets to me is that it does influence other LPs - there's a Dark Souls speedrun which would be this awesome video except there's a distracting scarecam over the whole thing. It makes no sense; it's a skill run. I can't fault the guy for not having great commentary, but he's genuinely distracting at points.

RSCNyx posted:

seems to treat his fans with respect

"I'll be the first to admit, these videos don't require much effort."
- When he became the number one most subscribed person on YouTube

"I'm so proud of you guys [for getting me to 1 million subscribers]."

You know what it is? I think he's just too weak-willed to be an actual good person, and he'll go dishonest when he has to (Adults React to Pewdiepie was "pretty funny, he'll admit" until he put foot in his mouth with an ad revenue remark, and then the same video is suddenly "childish." It's a Jay Leno thing; he wants to act like everyone's friend. I tend to get irked that people buy into "he's such a nice guy" but who knows. Maybe he is, and I'm just too cynical.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 25, 2014

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

slowbeef posted:

"I'll be the first to admit, these videos don't require much effort."
- When he became the number one most subscribed person on YouTube

"I'm so proud of you guys [for getting me to 1 million subscribers]."

...I promptly stand corrected.

I also almost forgot the comment he left on the Retsupurae video made about him, where he said something like, "All your views give me more cash" or something along those lines.

Yeah, never mind. Screw him.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

So it has to be grueling for him to properly respect the medium?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

hahaha; the idea of comparing lps to sport is the dumbest thing ever because they are completely different things.

How can we have people calling LP a hobby ITT and other people laughing about likening hobbies to others? :psyduck:

I feel like I'm talking past people here somehow. All I meant is that I thought SuccinctAndPunchy was talking about things that have a broad fanbase of people instead of a niche group.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Sneaky Fast posted:

So it has to be grueling for him to properly respect the medium?

Yes, this is exactly what I said.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

IceAgeComing posted:

You're currently sounding like slowbeef's best friend.

What...I knew there was somebody that was kicking up a fuss about being the "first LPer" because he had some old VHS tapes or some poo poo that he made of Pac-Man or something back in the day, but this...? We must right this wrong! Because just think, in the future, kids around the globe could be in school learning INACCURATE HISTORY ABOUT LP. Ivan the Terrible will have taken a footnote, to the historic "glory stealer" known as Slowbeef the Faker.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

slowbeef posted:

As a fan of longform, it's okay to write more than two paragraphs on LP. People will tl;dr anything nowadays and it's dumb.

We tried so hard to open your eyes to the truth and yet you still cling to these outdated ideas, makes me shake my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

BMS posted:

What...I knew there was somebody that was kicking up a fuss about being the "first LPer" because he had some old VHS tapes or some poo poo that he made of Pac-Man or something back in the day, but this...? We must right this wrong! Because just think, in the future, kids around the globe could be in school learning INACCURATE HISTORY ABOUT LP. Ivan the Terrible will have taken a footnote, to the historic "glory stealer" known as Slowbeef the Faker.

why do you think slowFAKE got demodded?

• Locked thread