Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I liked this one a lot more than the last two, even if it still had a few bad moments. I've liked all of the Michonne and Carl bonding moments in the series so far, and it's funny that after how badly she was handled in much of season 3 she's had more development than anyone so far in this new group of episodes. Glenn really is just Maggie's Husband and it's boring. I couldn't believe there was a convenient shot of Rosita bending over and pointing her rear end at the camera. I like the new crew, of course Abraham doesn't push Eugene when he tells him it's classified. He just tears up and salutes someone for being so loyal to his country.

Krowley posted:

I did notice that Toilet Guy seemed to hesitate when Rick came in. There were several seconds where he could've yelled out or even shot Rick but he didn't.

Ok, new theory: Toilet Guy was just some lone survivor who found Rick sleeping alone in a house he wanted to loot. He decided to leave him alone because he's just a normal guy trying to survive, not a brutal murderer. Then the bandits show up and Toilet Guy has to hide in the toilet where Rick finds him and brutally murders him.
I don't think it's what they were going for but I actually felt the same way. It wouldn't really make any sense, but the guy felt like more of a victim than the rest of the group.

Tin Miss posted:

I felt the same way. This episode definitely had a Season 2 feel. I kept waiting for something to happen with the bandits, but nope, Rick just slides out from under the bed and creeps away.
This was a good way to end it, it was the best choice made in that whole plot. It was a good way to reestablish that Rick's smarter and more resourceful than he's been in a long time, he didn't need to win a firefight to show that. He's waking up from the funk he's been in since they got to the prison. Plenty "happened."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ravane posted:

"I'm a survivor. We're a dying breed."

Looks like someone's cruisin'... for a bruisin'.
Crawlin'... for a brawlin'.
Achin'... for a spiritual awakenin'.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
The layout of the house where Michonne and KORL were makes no sense. Why is the bathroom the only way to get to that bedroom? I didn't see another door in. That would have been super awkward living there.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

cirus posted:

The layout of the house where Michonne and KORL were makes no sense. Why is the bathroom the only way to get to that bedroom? I didn't see another door in. That would have been super awkward living there.

They look a lot like Craftsman-style homes which are known for having some pretty unconventional layouts, especially if they've been partially remodeled.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Surlaw posted:

This was a good way to end it, it was the best choice made in that whole plot. It was a good way to reestablish that Rick's smarter and more resourceful than he's been in a long time, he didn't need to win a firefight to show that. He's waking up from the funk he's been in since they got to the prison. Plenty "happened."

Yeah, I just felt like we've spent all season watching Rick either asleep or hiding from the hard stuff. And much of Season 3 he was unhinged. I thought that was a solid way of reminding us that Rick is drat capable and a bit of a bad rear end himself. That fact that he probably could have killed those guys once he got the gun (or even when those two were sleeping) if that was his goal but he opted for the other way brings us back to who Rick is.

In a lot of ways I think that's what all these episodes have had in common. Michonne, Carl, Maggie, Glenn, Darryl, Tyreese, and even Beth. They're all stuck surviving and taxed in a dozen ways but we're watching them pull it off and pull themselves together and being reminded how tough these fuckers are. That can be easy to forget after they were trying the domestic thing for awhile and just had their asses handed to them by a tank.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Just watched this on Amazon, and this is the most memorable scene from that episode.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If that episode was filler, so "Clear" from Season 3. I'd like more of that filler than The Governor again.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Glenn needs a talking to about trigger discipline.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maybe I'm wrong, but this half of the season is starting to feel like it's just setting up to introduce the next season. We're already almost halfway through this half of the season, and it seems like the characters are very slowly heading towards this Terminus place. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but this half of the season is starting to feel like it's just setting up to introduce the next season. We're already almost halfway through this half of the season, and it seems like the characters are very slowly heading towards this Terminus place. Hopefully I'm wrong.

That's what you get with half seasons.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AgentHaiTo posted:

Just watched this on Amazon, and this is the most memorable scene from that episode.

quote:

It wouldn't provide good defense against zombie bites
:goonsay:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This entire thread is a complete joke. Easily the worst thread I've ever seen in this forum. And honestly I don't care if it ever gets salvaged at this point.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Are there as many people Hate Reading this thread as there are Hate Watching the show?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
No. I honestly enjoy reading posts from people missing the most obviously presented things on this show.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Perfidus posted:

No. I honestly enjoy reading posts from people missing the most obviously presented things on this show.

The show is frequently unclear when presenting simple ideas. I didn't get why Rick cracked the door because the show had previously established it can take anywhere from minutes to a day for a dead person to become a walker. Narratively I would have at least understood what was going to happen if he had glanced at the dead guy before doing it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TOOT BOOT posted:

The show is frequently unclear when presenting simple ideas. I didn't get why Rick cracked the door because the show had previously established it can take anywhere from minutes to a day for a dead person to become a walker. Narratively I would have at least understood what was going to happen if he had glanced at the dead guy before doing it.

But couldn't you exercise some patience, wait for the scene where the walker distracts everyone, and then put two and two together?

"Oh, they were distracted by a zombie. That must have been the guy in the bathroom? How did he get out? Ohhhh, that's why Rick opened the door."

A big part of the problem with the Live Posters and Hate Watchers in here is that something happens and they're screaming about it within seconds. So not only are they potentially missing more subtle details and not giving it any time to play out but they're reinforcing their negative impressions in this thread so that's what sticks.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Huh, just noticed that Rick took the scissors with him when he hopped out the window.

Cahwrl, you're finally gonna get a haircut.

The only thing that confused me was...who the hell were the bikers beating the poo poo out of when they first came in? There was a ton of inaudible dialogue going on.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 25, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

But couldn't you exercise some patience, wait for the scene where the walker distracts everyone, and then put two and two together?

"Oh, they were distracted by a zombie. That must have been the guy in the bathroom? How did he get out? Ohhhh, that's why Rick opened the door."

I had already put it out of my mind by then. Anyway, when the walker attacked I assumed it was the other guy, which had messaging problems all of its own. Was he choked out, or was he dead? If he was choked out why didn't he wake up sooner? People that get choked out wake up pretty quickly. He did see Rick under the bed so I assumed the writers were implying he died, but if he died why did the other biker go to sleep with a potential walker next to him?

Sometimes I don't know what to think because it's like the writers don't even watch their own show.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I had already put it out of my mind by then. Anyway, when the walker attacked I assumed it was the other guy, which had messaging problems all of its own. Was he choked out, or was he dead? If he was choked out why didn't he wake up sooner? People that get choked out wake up pretty quickly. He did see Rick under the bed so I assumed the writers were implying he died, but if he died why did the other biker go to sleep with a potential walker next to him?

Sometimes I don't know what to think because it's like the writers don't even watch their own show.

So you missed the three second shot of the dude breathing regularly then.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

This is why AMC started spoon-feeding everything they could on Dexter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They showed that guy breathing, and you could have at least partially suspected he wasn't dead because it would have insane for his buddy to kill him for a nap and moronic to leave him dead on the floor while he slept. Granted stupidity and crazy aren't absent from this world, but again, can't we put two and two together and wait a scene or two?

I admit I wasn't sure if he was dead or passed out either at first and I wondered if the guy on the bed would be that stupid. Then I saw him breathing and I quickly concluded he was just passed out, in large part because that's what most made sense.

I really don't see the problem. It almost seems like you're just coming at it with your mind already made up that the writing is poo poo, so when something happens that isn't explicitly spelled out and takes a scene or two to confirm you just quickly conclude that its bad writing. Your assumption about the biker being dead was wrong. Why is that the writers' fault? It was your assumption. And by your own logic it didn't make sense to you because the other biker left him there. The problem is that you didn't follow that through to the next logical step and say "so maybe he's not dead, but just passed out." You seemed to just go with "this makes no sense" and missed the scene a little while later that would have answered your question.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well you see this scientist dude knows what caused all this.

Ok what?

SORRY THATS CLASSIFIED a loving necromancer did it welcome to the new anita blake tv show!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TOOT BOOT posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that turning was within minutes of brain death. What exceptions have we seen that I'm forgetting?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Shooting Blanks posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that turning was within minutes of brain death. What exceptions have we seen that I'm forgetting?

Off the top of my head, Andrea's sister seemed to take quite awhile to turn, even after dying. But that said, I haven't watched the first season in nearly two or three years now, so the extent of my memory is "she dies at night, then Andrea holds her until morning and kills her once she turns." I could very well have the sequence mixed up. :v:

I believe even the CDC guy outright stated that the window is pretty substantial based on individual factors.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Shooting Blanks posted:

Turning happens as soon as it is needed for the plot.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

The problem is that you didn't follow that through to the next logical step and say "so maybe he's not dead, but just passed out." You seemed to just go with "this makes no sense" and missed the scene a little while later that would have answered your question.

The two logical options in my mind were him being dead and him standing up 30 seconds later and yelling that there was someone hiding under the bed. Because that's how being choked out actually works.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

The two logical options in my mind were him being dead and him standing up 30 seconds later and yelling that there was someone hiding under the bed. Because that's how being choked out actually works.

Are you new to American television and cinema? Because there is a long and proud history of misrepresenting people getting knocked out.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

TOOT BOOT posted:

That's a Hollywood thing in general. Not even close to being specific to TWD. It's just an accepted trope that you really shouldn't compare to real life.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ded posted:

Well you see this scientist dude knows what caused all this.

Ok what?

SORRY THATS CLASSIFIED a loving necromancer did it welcome to the new anita blake tv show!
What this show really needs is Ken Foree to make a cameo and say that its because hell is too full and you know why because he is actually Satan. Let's go full batshit insane with this.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deadpool posted:

This entire thread is a complete joke. Easily the worst thread I've ever seen in this forum. And honestly I don't care if it ever gets salvaged at this point.

Words of a man who doesn't remember the later day Office thread.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

See, I think this is the point. Glenn IS a bad rear end. Have we forgotten this because everyone is whining that he's too focused on Maggie? Glenn is the fucker who played Spider-Man in a zombie infested Atlanta and he and Rick got their asses out of a zombie riot. Glenn was part of the handful of people who cleared out hundreds of zombies from a prison with some basic hand weapons, a feat Michonne, the Governor, and Merle all though was impossible. Glenn is the guy who took on and defeated a zombie with his hands tied behind his back and to a chair. Glenn just fought his way out of a burning prison infested with zombies while half dead. Glenn IS a legit bad rear end.

Right now Glenn has me at "The only guy smart enough in the entire zombie apocalypse to wear loving armor."

Seriously, why can't they put ANY thought into the little details like that? They have access to SWAT armor so why not have extras out there in swat armor tending the walls in the background? Make it look like they're adapting and stuff.

Instead it seems like Glenn is the only one that figured out riot gear = good against zombie hordes. That said the fact he made a point to even go back for it and is always seen wearing it when he's expecting a fight has made me definitely appreciate his character's common sense in a show where that is a superpower.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Andrew Verse posted:

Are you new to American television and cinema? Because there is a long and proud history of misrepresenting people getting knocked out.

I live in the US but don't know much about pop culture I guess. I spend more hours reading books in a year than I do watching TV or movies.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TOOT BOOT posted:

I live in the US but don't know much about pop culture I guess. I spend more hours reading books in a year than I do watching TV or movies.

I'm pretty sure the cliche of someone getting knocked out from a convenient "off button" blow happens quite a bit in books, too.

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

Kibayasu posted:

It's really funny how many complaints this show gets simply because people are really bad at paying attention to things that happen right in front of their eyes. :v: This episode was pretty good, and further establishes my love for Michonne.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

i am bones posted:

It's really funny how many complaints this show gets simply because people are really bad at paying attention to things that happen right in front of their eyes. :v:

Rick needs a Dexter monologue.

:geno: "I really hope these unknown bandits don't see me hiding under this bed while they ransack this house we broke into. It's a good thing Caarghl and Michonne went out for supplies not 20 minutes earlier whilst I stayed back and recourperated from my earlier beating at the hands of the Govenor 4 days ago."

In fact, monologues for everyone!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

spikenigma posted:

:geno: "I really hope these unknown bandits don't see me hiding under this bed while they ransack this house we broke into. It's a good thing Caarghl and Michonne went out for supplies not 20 minutes earlier whilst I stayed back and recourperated from my earlier beating at the hands of the Govenor 4 days ago."

Beth's already doing this with Daryl and it's super annoying.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
My wish is that it turns out the south is the only place where Zombies are a problem. Like in the rest of the country there was an outbreak of zombies but they just loving dealt with it and it turns out that zombies and snow are like southern kryptonite. All the people of Georgia had to do was put different tyres on their cars and they would have survived the apocalypse.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Beth's already doing this with Daryl and it's super annoying.

Well, in the previous episode the diary narration was supposed to be ironic. She's talking about the prison and how they're finally safe and how everything is going to be okay while they're being chased further and further away from the now-destroyed prison by zombies. Then towards the end of their segment, after she starts crying, the narration goes all "This place is perfect, I don't know how I would go on if we ever had to leave the prison". This is a character who has previously contemplated and attempted suicide.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Words of a man who doesn't remember the later day Office thread.

yeah what a high water mark the other threads in this forahahahhaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

spikenigma posted:

Apparently so because CORLE and Michonne were gone for hours not 20 mins.

It's like you're not even watching the show! :hurr:

• Locked thread