Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Roar posted:

LP is a super dumb hobby, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Just because we enjoy LP'ing and watching LP videos doesn't mean the concept isn't plain silly.

Regardless of what you think LP is or what you think LP should be, for some people it's an actual profession. It seems silly to just dismiss it as a dumb hobby when it literally puts food on the table for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The whole "follow the leader" trend is pretty bad when it comes to LP, but I don't think it's coming from "the LP community", but rather being influenced by the pants-shittingly scary success that PDP has been. At this point, he has pretty much transcended "the LP community" and is instead influencing the outside towards LP with his style being the major influence, which is where the copycats come in.

Personally, I only watch a few Youtube LPers, all still from the days before I came here (those guys being Rainiac666, Cauchemar89 - AKA the "Sketboard Scampurr" guy some people might remember getting RP'd - and Deceased Crab), and none of them really do that thing that has been becoming popular alongside PDP - that being what I call a "cult of personality production". Like for instance pointed out by IceAgeComing, poo poo's getting to be more about the personality than the game. I mean, you might accuse DC of doing that, but honestly, he seems more like just a bit of a character that still wants to show the games off, and the games he picks are mostly interesting and fairly unknown, so to me it's OK. It's a hell of a lot better than the core of the "cult of personality" crowd that plays either Minecraft, the FOTM flash game or Amnesia/Slender/something alongside those lines.

Speaking as a guy with a personality of a plank of wood beyond a few verbal tics (at least as far as my LPs are concerned), I can't see the appeal. It's still about the games to me. But then again, I'm not the right kind of guy to be the audience for the "mainstream LP" guys.

And while this might be taking it a bit too seriously, I'm seeing a definite rift between the two worlds that will only get bigger as time goes on. On one hand, we have the "show off games because you like them/hate them/find them interesting in some way" people, on the other hand, we have the "play games in order to produce general entertainment" people, with the latter group on their way to evolve into something that can very well end up being big business on par with TV shows in a few years.

No matter what'll come, it'll sure be interesting to watch unfold.

But this might just be my sleep-deprived self talking.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Hopefully, the people who make LPs for a living have the realise that it is a little dumb to be making money playing games for the internet. Just because you earn money for doing it doesn't make it any less silly... Hell, lowtax earns a living off a dumb forum; just because we're all paying for his kids college bills when we buy slowbeef Hitler avatars doesn't make it any less dumb...

RareAcumen posted:

How can we have people calling LP a hobby ITT and other people laughing about likening hobbies to others? :psyduck:

I feel like I'm talking past people here somehow. All I meant is that I thought SuccinctAndPunchy was talking about things that have a broad fanbase of people instead of a niche group.

LP doesn't have "a broad fanbase of people" though. Sure, there are some people who make bajillions of views from doing LPs, but sports are a little more than that - there isn't really an LP equivalent of going to see Man United play at Old Trafford until they built a 20,000 all seater stadium dedicated to pewdiepie LPs...

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IceAgeComing posted:

LP doesn't have "a broad fanbase of people" though. Sure, there are some people who make bajillions of views from doing LPs, but sports are a little more than that - there isn't really an LP equivalent of going to see Man United play at Old Trafford until they built a 20,000 all seater stadium dedicated to pewdiepie LPs...

Dude you're gonna look real stupid when we have entire arenas watching the latest DSP playthrough of Dark Souls 2.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Making a living doing LP seems like the most volatile career choice you could go for. Yeah, it's great fun getting paid to play video games casually for the internet. Until any number of things happen.

Copyright strikes, being burned out on LP, your internet fame disappears...these are just a few things that could happen. You suddenly find yourself out of a job, and "Playing video games for the internet" doesn't translate well on resumes.

It's not just silly, it's downright dangerous. I do wonder if a lot of those popular LPers have a back-up plan, should things go south.

FauxGateau posted:

Dude you're gonna look real stupid when we have entire arenas watching the latest DSP playthrough of Dark Souls 2.

Argh. I'm not looking forward to him acquiring Dark Souls 2. He did a great job murdering the first two Souls games already. Think the damage is done! You don't have to play it!

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 25, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You sound like my granddad talking about the no good kids of today.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

He'd start his "pre-stream" monologue and everyone would leave before the opening cutscene...

I've also found someone's idea for a retsupurae film (SFW, no sex involved), which is just a mix of every rp meme ever and people apparently like it!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RSCNyx posted:

Argh. I'm not looking forward to him acquiring Dark Souls 2. He did a great job murdering the first two Souls games already. Think the damage is done! You don't have to play it!

Doesn't he stream all of his playing before uploading it? If so I look forward to attempting to invade him.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Didn't he play the first one offline until he physically couldn't do any more without his fans beating the game for him? I would watch it to check, but gently caress that, my time is worth more than that!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Can I chime in on an unrelated thing and say that I really like Achievement Hunter's Go and Versus series? Because I don't know if it's been done before, but Go's "complete a goal across different games" format is really interesting and Versus is fun when they try sillier goals and games.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

RSCNyx posted:

Making a living doing LP seems like the most volatile career choice you could go for. Yeah, it's great fun getting paid to play video games casually for the internet. Until any number of things happen.

Copyright strikes, being burned out on LP, your internet fame disappears...these are just a few things that could happen. You suddenly find yourself out of a job, and "Playing video games for the internet" doesn't translate well on resumes.

It's not just silly, it's downright dangerous. I do wonder if a lot of those popular LPers have a back-up plan, should things go south.

How is being "burned out" on LP any different from most people who have a job they don't like, or tolerate and don't actively enjoy? How is your fame disappearing different from any other type of performer? I'm not saying they aren't potential problems, but they're certainly not unique to LP. As for building a resume, I imagine video editing skills look quite good in certain fields. Hell like a week ago, I think Chip Cheezum tweeted something about how skills he picked up doing LPs were getting him freelance video editing work. As for copyright strikes, you may have a point there, I don't honestly know how most professional LPers deal with that. I think in at least some cases, bigger grounds like Rooster Teeth will have contracts with publishers/developers to prevent sudden strikes.

The GIG posted:

Can I chime in on an unrelated thing and say that I really like Achievement Hunter's Go and Versus series? Because I don't know if it's been done before, but Go's "complete a goal across different games" format is really interesting and Versus is fun when they try sillier goals and games.

I really dig the whole concept of Go, and they manage to come up with a lot of interesting ideas for it. It's probably my favorite thing they've come up with so far.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BMS posted:

What...I knew there was somebody that was kicking up a fuss about being the "first LPer" because he had some old VHS tapes or some poo poo that he made of Pac-Man or something back in the day, but this...? We must right this wrong! Because just think, in the future, kids around the globe could be in school learning INACCURATE HISTORY ABOUT LP. Ivan the Terrible will have taken a footnote, to the historic "glory stealer" known as Slowbeef the Faker.

Jesus christ, that video. LP's are super loving important apparently.

I used to watch a show called "Video and Arcade Top 10" back in the 90's on YTV, a kids programming channel in Canada, where the point was to watch four people play video games while doing some random competition for 20 minutes while the hosts provided commentary. Clearly this was history's first form of LP and should be carved into the diamond history walls of the future.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wind God Sety posted:

As for building a resume, I imagine video editing skills look quite good in certain fields.

Somewhere at Paramount Studios...(or any other video production company)

"" posted:

Hmmm, says here the applicant is 27, past employers list McDonalds, grocery store clerk, waiter, and he was the lead student in Video Art at his High School. Not looking too good here...

but wait.....

it says here he dropped out of college/passed up on college to produce "Let's Plays" for the internet.......

APPLICATION APPROVED. HIRE THAT MOTHER FUCKER.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RSCNyx posted:

I seriously want to know what that dude's problem is. He claims to have no money to move out or get surgery for his back, which I doubt he really needs, but then he goes and buys every single loving collector's edition item he can get his grubby mitts on, even if its for crap he loathes, like the Metal Gear Rising collector's edition that had the tesla coil lamp. I'm almost certain he's got a preorder for Dark Souls II's collector's edition. Not only that, he'll go out and buy video games he knows he's not going to enjoy, like anything that Kojima was involved in (did he really loving need the MGS Legacy Collection despite owning the HD Collection and MGS4 just so he could get a copy of MGS1?).

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ChaosArgate posted:

I seriously want to know what that dude's problem is. He claims to have no money to move out or get surgery for his back, which I doubt he really needs, but then he goes and buys every single loving collector's edition item he can get his grubby mitts on, even if its for crap he loathes, like the Metal Gear Rising collector's edition that had the tesla coil lamp. I'm almost certain he's got a preorder for Dark Souls II's collector's edition. Not only that, he'll go out and buy video games he knows he's not going to enjoy, like anything that Kojima was involved in (did he really loving need the MGS Legacy Collection despite owning the HD Collection and MGS4 just so he could get a copy of MGS1?).

It seems like he sells ever game after he's done with it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I forgot about that part, but that doesn't justify the mountains of collector's figures littered in his condo.

Edit: VVV When he goes for a collector's edition, it's always the one that's at least $100 if one exists. Also he went out to a convention once and decided to stay in the Presidential Suite. Also he bought every next gen console and an extra PS4 for someone who didn't want it. I think it's safe to say this man does not know how to he responsible with money.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 25, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Let's be at least a little fair to the guy: the cost of surgery and/or physical therapy isn't on the same level as an extra $20 for a game to get a special box or figurine.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Wind God Sety posted:

How is being "burned out" on LP any different from most people who have a job they don't like, or tolerate and don't actively enjoy? How is your fame disappearing different from any other type of performer? I'm not saying they aren't potential problems, but they're certainly not unique to LP. As for building a resume, I imagine video editing skills look quite good in certain fields. Hell like a week ago, I think Chip Cheezum tweeted something about how skills he picked up doing LPs were getting him freelance video editing work.

Popular LPers tend to be popular not for the games they play, but because of their personality. If you start acting like you don't care about the gig anymore, I would think your fanbase would start to notice.

DSP is a good example, actually. It's becoming more and more clear he doesn't give half a poo poo about being a decent LPer, let alone a decent person. His viewership is dying fast. (As for what his deal is, I have no idea. I gave up figuring the guy out.)

Video editing is a pretty good thing to put on your resume, I agree! I just don't think LPs alone will give you all the experience you need. Cutting a few minutes of a video you recorded, putting an audio track on it, and throwing on some wacky facecam isn't exactly the expertise most people are looking for.

(Happy Chip has been picking up work from editing skills he learned along the way, though!)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I don't make LPs or edit videos, but is there a noticeable difference between making an LP presentable with editing where there's editing in there to make it look nicer, and going the extra mile to really make the video look and sound nice?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Well that depends. To the layperson really exceptionally good editing is practically invisible. They don't really notice how good the editing is, if they notice anything at all they notice the absence of the evidence of lovely editing that drags them out of whatever they were watching. So if you're interested in creating a seamless experience and being good at editing things then yes absolutely it's worth it. If you just want a more-or-less competent LP you could probably get away with even some slapdash, half-assed editing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

IceAgeComing posted:

I also take videos of people talking to themselves playing video games very seriously and shall fight to the death to protect it. You're currently sounding like slowbeef's best friend.

I too can also interpret forum posts and take them to a ridiculous conclusion like a complete wazzock.

My point was less "LP IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" and more that if you're a fuckhead and you're part of a silly subculture, you're still a fuckhead and I don't want you there. I'm not defending the honour of LP or something silly like that, but any apparent attempt to express that I'd rather just not have certain LP'ers around is met with a bunch of idiotic posts completely missing the point.

Genocyber posted:

Because let's plays are on the news every day

You also don't seem to realize that the popular let's players that give it a wider attention are guys like PDP.

PewDiePie is the most subscribed to channel on YouTube. A decently large number of the top most subscribed channels are gaming channels. I think it's fair to say LP has some degree of mainstream appeal.

And I do realise the popular LP'ers are the ones that give it a wider attention, the idea was that I'm saying that people who are routinely proven to be not such great people being the most popular is not a good thing. The integrity of LP doesn't even have to factor into it, I'd just rather PDP not have this massive fanbase in the same way I'd rather people not watch Toddlers and Tiaras or something of that ilk, it's pretty stupid viewing and I can't imagine it having a positive effect on most people. Apparently saying this isn't a good thing means you take LP too seriously or some stupid bullshit like that, go figure.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 25, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

My point was less "LP IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" and more that if you're a fuckhead and you're part of a silly subculture, you're still a fuckhead and I don't want you there. I'm not defending the honour of LP or something silly like that, but any apparent attempt to express that I'd rather just not have certain LP'ers around is met with a bunch of idiotic posts completely missing the point.

If you don't like how someone acts, just ignore them.

quote:

PewDiePie is the most subscribed to channel on YouTube. A decently large number of the top most subscribed channels are gaming channels. I think it's fair to say LP has some degree of mainstream appeal.

So? Go out and ask a random sample of people who he is. I doubt you'd get much recognition. I love stupid internet poo poo and I didn't hear about him until a few months ago.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Genocyber posted:

If you don't like how someone acts, just ignore them.

Works well enough for me. Doesn't mean I think that person being so popular is a good thing. I don't think you really understand where I'm coming from here.

This isn't up for debate, the numbers speak for themselves.

EDIT: Sorry, that was kind of rude. I think you and I are just working with different definitions of "mainstream" though. I'm posting that LP is popular, which it demonstrably is if the top dogs of the most used video host in the world are a bunch of LP channels. I would've thought that conclusion was fairly rock solid but apparently not?

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 25, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You're making suppositions based on your own observations. If you can quote actual studies that support your opinions, they'd be more valid. As it is, they're just as valid as my own (which is to say, not very).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Works well enough for me. Doesn't mean I think that person being so popular is a good thing. I don't think you really understand where I'm coming from here.

EDIT: Sorry, that was kind of rude. I think you and I are just working with different definitions of "mainstream" though. I'm posting that LP is popular, which it demonstrably is if the top dogs of the most used video host in the world are a bunch of LP channels. I would've thought that conclusion was fairly rock solid but apparently not?

How many people who watch youtube actually sign up for it? Don't you think that your "data" might be a little skewed?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Genocyber posted:

You're making suppositions based on your own observations. If you can quote actual studies that support your opinions, they'd be more valid. As it is, they're just as valid as my own (which is to say, not very).

I don't agree with this at all. Unless it's a study, it doesn't count? Like, the viewcounts and subscriber counts are clearly there. People, large numbers of people, watch LP. I don't see how there's anything against this.

And no yours aren't more valid. Yours is all anecdotal, I'm at least looking at numbers.

Livingtrope posted:

How many people who watch youtube actually sign up for it? Don't you think that your "data" might be a little skewed?

Viewcounts are still a thing that tick over regardless of whether or not people sign up for it and large LP'ers consistently pull really big numbers.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 25, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought that LP had recently become famous among those people that keep up with internet culture and such. While it's certainly popular amongst those that do, you also have to keep in mind a good portion of these people (I'd say at LEAST 50%, but I've no real numbers to back this up, so I guess it's invalid in this statistically correct LP argument), are under the age of 18....i.e. children. So while I'd certainly agree that LP is famous among those that keep up with internet culture, it's nowhere NEAR the "famous" level of movie/tv stars, professional sports, or perhaps the most apt comparison, stand up comedians (most of the big YT LPers are apparently oh so funny).

Long story short, LP is internet famous, real world...not so much.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't agree with this at all. Unless it's a study, it doesn't count? Like, the viewcounts and subscriber counts are clearly there. People, large numbers of people, watch LP. I don't see how there's anything against this.

Yes. Because you can't draw conclusions just by looking at numbers. There's so many potential factors you're not considering, not to mention the very nebulous nature of what "mainstream" is, that you can't draw any good conclusions. You can draw conclusions and have opinions based on those conclusions, but they will have no weight behind them.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Yes. Because you can't draw conclusions just by looking at numbers. There's so many potential factors you're not considering, not to mention the very nebulous nature of what "mainstream" is, that you can't draw any good conclusions. You can draw conclusions and have opinions based on those conclusions, but they will have no weight behind them.

I can't prove anything beyond all reasonable doubt but it clearly points to something. And when the name of the game is just proving that "decently large numbers of people watch X thing", a number that directly tracks how many people watch X thing seems like an excellent and compact way to express that point. I'm not saying the number is infallible but saying it has absolutely no merit or bearing on anything is just as silly.

and yeah "mainstream" was a dumb word to use and not even really the thing I'm trying to convey, just that large numbers of people watch this thing, therefore dickwads being the centre of this thing is less than stellar. That was it. That was the entire point. Didn't think this would be that hard to get across but I sort of hosed up somewhere evidently.

BMS posted:

So while I'd certainly agree that LP is famous among those that keep up with internet culture, it's nowhere NEAR the "famous" level of movie/tv stars, professional sports, or perhaps the most apt comparison, stand up comedians (most of the big YT LPers are apparently oh so funny).

Long story short, LP is internet famous, real world...not so much.

This more or less sounds about right to me.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
So, how about that Dark Syde Phil guy? I heard he's really bad.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Maybe I'm misreading this a bit, but there's one issue in here that crops up from time to time: it's like, it's never okay to discuss LP.

Forget popularity; I mean, this is a Let's Play forum, and people do want to talk about Let's Play. I know we can handwave away things with stuff like "well who cares about supposed popularity with 'Let's Play'" and "why even bother thinking about it?" but we have forums here for topics that other people don't deem worthy of discussion. Do traditional games merit discussion? Comic books? Video games in general? I could probably find you people on Facebook who think none of those things do.

I guess someone on SA thinks those things do merit discussion, and if you do think through something about LP in a spare five minutes and write it up, it's not necessarily "taking LP too seriously."

Like it's easy to say DarkSydePhil is a hack, why's he so popular? But... well, why is he popular? Is he? Is he on his way out? Is it fun to watch? Are people like me watching because he keeps finding a new bottom and it's hilarious? Is he actually appealing to someone?

Are scarecams actually good? Do they actually add poo poo I'm not seeing?

Do people like PDP or Toby Turner influence what people think of LP in general? Even if we shouldn't care about it, do they?

"Let's Play" is something that we started here on SA. Adam Sessler made a video where he think everyone should abandon the name 'let's play' altogether (which I think is completely ridiculous.) I mean, if we don't want to have discusssion of that on SA, apparently other people do, so... what? Are we driving people to other forums to talk about it when they do, or should this place stay a list of threads to content?

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Maybe I'm misreading this a bit, but there's one issue in here that crops up from time to time: it's like, it's never okay to discuss LP.

This, so much this, every time I see some discussion about LP's starting someone WILL say "it's just a silly hobby" or "someone is very mad at people talking over video games for the internet". I mean this is the first hobby forum I saw that actively frowns upon any discussion about the hobby it's about. :suicide:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I've never really gotten the idea that mere discussion and conversation on ideas in a community setting is taking things too seriously, but more so when it becomes an active detriment to an individual (whether through harassment, bullying, or stalking). I really do like the idea that SA can be a place where LP ideas can be presented in an open format and with constructive criticism, but it seems too often and too easily for people to lose track of individual thought and input and instead getting lost in an echo chamber of repeated concepts (i.e. 'what are you bringing to the table' or 'slow down, bro, you're taking LP's too seriously'). I do feel bad at times that I've found myself adding to this, but I do earnestly feel that being able to discuss LP's (whether they be on SA or not) is good for the community if it can reach further than mere negativity or just mindless circling in the drain.

Take for example the conversation that popped up today in the sandcastle regarding scarecams; now while on the whole it seems that scarecams are merely tools for LP superstars to sell some wacky gimmick, I seem to recall in a previous thread regarding something or other, that there was a psychological connection between the presenter and viewer that came from being visible as well as being audible. Perhaps information could be more easily ingested by the viewer if they could physically see the LP'er on screen and maybe it could help certain LP's (like Bobbin's current LP of Deus Ex). It's a bit hard to say since the device of a 'scare cam' has just been used for the most basic functions of seeing the player's reaction and that possibly with some thought, it could be used for something more.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

slowbeef posted:

Like it's easy to say DarkSydePhil is a hack, why's he so popular? But... well, why is he popular? Is he? Is he on his way out? Is it fun to watch? Are people like me watching because he keeps finding a new bottom and it's hilarious? Is he actually appealing to someone?

Is he though? I mean, every other RP you did of anyone with a wee bit of a fan base (proton jon, long letters guy, pewdiepie) got a big backlash from their fans; but that doesn't seem to have happened with DSP. It seems to have been a "me too!" sort of reaction from pretty much everyone, unless I'm missing something...

I don't think that writing about LP is necessarily a bad thing by itself; but I think everyone admits that its a little pathetic to be doing it at 2 in the morning when you can't get to sleep... Not as bad as posting in PYF though!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm not sure how many fans DSP actually has. It seems like although his sub count is pretty reasonable, most of his videos hover at around 1-2k views at most, and a lot of those are people who just like watching trainwrecks or literally don't know any better. I can sort of see redeeming features for people like PDP and tobuscus, because even if I don't really find them funny, I can sort of see how someone screaming and shouting and showing you their face might be entertaining. It's not really to the tastes of this forum, but it's undeniable they have some appeal, even if it's not your thing. DSP really doesn't have any redeeming features at all. He can't make his failures entertaining at all and refuses to even try things like editing or scrapping something ever.

I think he just doesn't really have anyone to defend him, because everyone who watches him is equally happy to make fun of him, or doesn't venture far enough into LP to bother watching RP.

Has anyone managed to watch that 50 minutes 2014 HEY LOOK AT ME IM REALLY NOT THAT BAD video he did? Is he going to make any changes, or does he just reassure you he'll ignore the haters.

I guess now I've talked about watching video games on the internet, I need to go read some Tolstoy and watch The Artist.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 25, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Didn't some dude make a college dissertation on the concept of LPs, citing a bunch of good content from SA?

I distinctly remember him talking about Chip's 50 cent LP, which promptly motivated me to check it out.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MooCowlian posted:

I'm not sure how many fans DSP actually has. It seems like although his sub count is pretty reasonable, most of his videos hover at around 1-2k views at most, and a lot of those are people who just like watching trainwrecks or literally don't know any better. I can sort of see redeeming features for people like PDP and tobuscus, because even if I don't really find them funny, I can sort of see how someone screaming and shouting and showing you their face might be entertaining. It's not really to the tastes of this forum, but it's undeniable they have some appeal, even if it's not your thing. DSP really doesn't have any redeeming features at all. He can't make his failures entertaining at all and refuses to even try things like editing or scrapping something ever.

I think he just doesn't really have anyone to defend him, because everyone who watches him is equally happy to make fun of him, or doesn't venture far enough into LP to bother watching RP.

Has anyone managed to watch that 50 minutes 2014 HEY LOOK AT ME IM REALLY NOT THAT BAD video he did? Is he going to make any changes, or does he just reassure you he'll ignore the haters.

I guess now I've talked about watching video games on the internet, I need to go read some Tolstoy and watch The Artist.

Phil's a special case because he more or less makes money on just making GBS threads out content at a pace of like a video per hour every single day.

The average YouTube guy seems to do three videos a day of different games one day and then on day two three videos of different games, then repeat for all eternity. Most of these people sound like they occasionally have fun with games at the least where Phil seems to be some sort of mentally challenged shaved ape that can only hit all the buttons at once while making grunts and throwing rage fits when a move "doesn't come out" or something.

YouTube LPers (which is a terrible catch all term for "Non-Goon LPers")still poo poo out content with little to no editing or thought, or just dump streams, yet they have legions of fans who will defend them to their deaths on Reddit and Twitter and so on. The big difference is that Phil is constantly abrasive in every way possible while the other people generally sound approachable and seem to acknowledge their audience is their source of income. Meanwhile Phil tells people in his comments they are retarded and they should never watch him again because they use adblock.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

YouTube LPers (which is a terrible catch all term for "Non-Goon LPers")

I don't know if I agree that's a terrible term. It actually does describe what it needs to pretty well.

There are good YouTube LPers out there, they're just hard to find because the market is really, really flooded.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

slowbeef posted:

I don't know if I agree that's a terrible term. It actually does describe what it needs to pretty well.

There are good YouTube LPers out there, they're just hard to find because the market is really, really flooded.

I think it's more of a they're not all from youtube kind of thing, though I'm not sure where else you would find LPs other then youtube and SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Livingtrope posted:

I think it's more of a they're not all from youtube kind of thing, though I'm not sure where else you would find LPs other then youtube and SA.

That's kinda what I'm getting at. It's not perfect, but with things like Giant Bomb Quick Looks and all that, it does describe the sort of "general LPer" type of thing alright, I think.

People like TBFP, Yogscast, etc. are technically "YouTube LPers" but that's not what I think of when I hear the term, and I don't think it describes them.

• Locked thread