Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grilox posted:

Does anyone have the original Red and Rover strips that spawned the idea of "Red and Rovering" something? I want to show someone just how terrible that week or so of strips was.

Was that the what's superman up to week?
http://www.gocomics.com/redandrover/2012/03/05#.UwuDGBBQS_x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

No, it was Peanuts he was reading, and pretty much every 'punchline' was literally just them explaining the joke in Peanuts.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Wait, wait, wait. You can cook avocado??

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't get another Berger & Wyse, 5 minutes till Tiggum points out why I'm thick.
Subverted expectations and absurdity. He's talking on the telephone handpiece, then it becomes a salt shaker so he can spice his meal, then it's a phone again. Got a chuckle out of me, but maybe I'm still missing the joke.

quote:

First Loomus in a while

Actually, there's a purpose to the silly haircut. It comes from poodles having been bred for retrieving duty; trim most of the hair because it'd weigh the dog down otherwise, but leave some to protect the chest, neck, and joints. You can also tie the dog's hair up to keep it out of its eyes and mouth, and put a bright bow on it for identification.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin builds the Prettiest Houses

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Darthemed posted:

Vegetarianism experienced an up-swing in popularity in the mid-'80s, right? Any notable celebrities who spoke in favor of it?

Breathed himself. This will come into play with more animal welfare issues--specifically, cosmetic testing--later in the strip. Was no small influence on my own decision to quit meat as a teenager (stuck with it, too, 23 years on).

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

It's the only place I could see that first panel going.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

One: drat, thats a fine elephant costume.
Two: a "Merry surprise" sounds like a Victorian era euphemism for something that'd get you arrested today.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

darthbob88 posted:

Subverted expectations and absurdity. He's talking on the telephone handpiece, then it becomes a salt shaker so he can spice his meal, then it's a phone again. Got a chuckle out of me, but maybe I'm still missing the joke.

Actually, there's a purpose to the silly haircut. It comes from poodles having been bred for retrieving duty; trim most of the hair because it'd weigh the dog down otherwise, but leave some to protect the chest, neck, and joints. You can also tie the dog's hair up to keep it out of its eyes and mouth, and put a bright bow on it for identification.

Lies, the "poodle cut" is to make the dog look like a lion. Poodles were bred to be water dogs, and an all-over curly coat is appropriate for a dog that is supposed to be swimming a lot. The poodle cut on a working poodle would get its butt chilled. A light trim would be better. Also, tying up the hair pulls its eyes back too far and looks painful. Also, the poodle cut is ugly.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

Annette Funicello Full-Of-Jello is possibly best known as a former member of the Mickey Mouse Club.

Fixed.

:v:

Sorry, 10 year old in me kicked in

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Fixed.

Sorry, 10 year old in me kicked in

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Pork Lift posted:

It's an edit. A funny one.
(*looks at the actual A3G strip for today*)

Tiggum is a loving genius at stealth edits: this isn't the first time I've been completely fooled by one and it certainly won't be the last, but it might be my favorite.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought you guys were talking about Crankshaft being an edit. Which it isn't. :psyduck:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

I love this strip all the way through, but Prince Valiant was an exceptionally interesting dude in these early strips.

Does anybody happen to know what the deal was with the stamps? Was there more to it than just something to collect?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Non Sequitur

Alright Cap'n Eddie! :krad: And, :wtf: *is* a "polar vortex"? Whatever happened to "strong cold front"? Kids these days.. :corsair:

It's any giant, naturally occurring cyclone of extremely cold air that occurs at the poles. There's one at each pole year round (although it gets weaker during the summer), and occasionally smaller ones are spun off, usually due to the jet stream. Records of it go back to the 1850's, but increased evaporation at the poles and the changing shape of the jet stream appear to be making situations like this winter where smaller ones spin off more common. So yeah, it's not just a "cold front" it's "the cold front."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

scarycave posted:

Someone Red and Rover this one for me.
Fred Basset is aboard the car. I don't see what you're confused about.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (February 7th 2007)

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Reminds of the George Carlin joke about keep yourself clean. He said the only parts of your body you need to clean everyday are your rear end, your crotch, your pits, and your teeth. And if you do it in the right order, you only need to use one brush.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Willie is gonna strangle Sir G. in a few more seconds.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Marginals

Don Martin Dept.

Thorn (April 26 and 30 , 1984)

Lucky Cow (June 7-9, 2004)

That last strip just ran few days after this Sunday strip.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 25, 2014

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Mister Beeg posted:

Don Martin Dept.

Thorn (April 25-26, 1984)

These two are repeats.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

JaggerMcDagger posted:

These two are repeats.

I don't know what you're talking about...

(I edited the post)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Flattop Jr.'s car! Lizz just can't get over it!

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

That was pretty thoughtful of Brooke to start including a warning label in the throwaway panels.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- You can find all sorts of garbage inside old CRT TVs! Lessee...
- A several-thousand-year-old mummy was found in Luxor

Or inside a Luxor.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Flattop Jr.'s car! Lizz just can't get over it!

This storyline wasn't capturing my attention, so I've just been tuning out Dick Tracy lately. But with Flattop Jr.'s car making an appearance, I'm paying attention now.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

She just gave you a license to watch all the TV or play all the video games you want and you squandered it Gil.

Retail

Man, I wish all my former bosses left me in charge of the entire business first day on the job. That would kick rear end and make for great fodder for getting them fired so I could usurp their job.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Just turn him off for a week. You've done it before during Christmas.

Dustin

Why is Ed doing public defense? That's not properly lucrative enough for a high-flying attorney.

On the Fastrack

The ornamental animal trade is lucrative business.

Safe Havens

Rainbow-colored extinct birds walking around in suburbia would draw no attention at all.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Wilbur is creepy and evil.

Rex Morgan MD

:stare:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mister Beeg posted:

Sergio Aragones Marginals

Is this a proof-sheet/something along those lines?

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I love Chief Dharma so bad

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

:stare:

Crankshaft

We've seen the future though, Crankshaft doesn't die yet. Unfortunately.

The Dinette Set

Fort Knox

There's some unfortunate timing.

Heathcliff

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 25, 2014

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Nice try, but I'm not falling for one of your edits, smart guy. Let me just look...oh hey, what do you know. Typo and everything.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Tiggum posted:

We've seen the future though, Crankshaft doesn't die yet. Unfortunately.

Batiuk is going to do the ultimate in chronological narrative awfulness and introduce alternate timelines.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Darthemed posted:

Is this a proof-sheet/something along those lines?

Those comics are printed in the margins of various things throughout Mad magazine. I guess that's just a collection of them from one issue, rather than printing each page they appear on.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, The NSA lady's father used to run guns(and maybe more), and these are supposed to be the "good " guys of the strip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Johnny Walker posted:

Nice try, but I'm not falling for one of your edits, smart guy. Let me just look...oh hey, what do you know. Typo and everything.

I've read too many of these, it wouldn't occur to me to doubt even the craziest edits.

Fok_It

• Locked thread