Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

juliuspringle posted:

I have a working disk drive.

The groaning and clicking is a working drive. If it's not, then you have problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did I miss SMS box art chat? Ghouls 'n Ghosts is my favourite, primarily because they already had this:

...but decided the SMS version should use this:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did I miss SMS box art chat? Ghouls 'n Ghosts is my favourite, primarily because they already had this:

...but decided the SMS version should use this:

Now that's just straight up someone's kid gets to copy dad's boxart.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dreamcast had the best reprint boxes. :kamina:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Going back to that article about how the TG16 was handled in the US, I took issue to something:

quote:

Sega was very focused on licensing and they had Joe Montana Football and that was a great game on the Genesis. The games that were on TurboGrafx-16 typically did not have licences. We tried to get some but needed to go back to Japan for approval and in those days licensing did not play a big role in the success of the product in Japan. We had a tennis game that was pretty good but we wanted to get a tennis star to put their name on the game, so we worked out a deal with Pete Sampras. This is before he won any major tournaments, but we could tell he was an ‘up and comer’ as he’d just won the national championship for juniors. We drafted out a deal for him to be the star in our tennis game for $25,000. Ironically we couldn't get approval from Japan, not because of the amount of money involved but because they didn't believe in licensing. So we had 'TV Sports Tennis' instead of ‘Pete Sampras Tennis’.

OK, considering that Nintendo had shown that licensing was immensely popular for games (and even more so for the third parties), this bit of the article makes me think one of two things:

1) Someone is completely full of poo poo.
2) NEC was hilariously inept.

I'm leaning towards #2.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBXdG4FZHoI

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ReverendHammer posted:

Going back to that article about how the TG16 was handled in the US, I took issue to something:

OK, considering that Nintendo had shown that licensing was immensely popular for games (and even more so for the third parties), this bit of the article makes me think one of two things:

1) Someone is completely full of poo poo.
2) NEC was hilariously inept.

I'm leaning towards #2.

The guy's not talking poo poo about licensing not playing a big role in Japan. You had some licensed products, mostly related to anime/manga, but it was nothing like America were the license dominated. Going by Mobygames' criteria of licensed games the PCE and PCE-CD's library was about 6% and 14% licensed games which is probably where the Mega Drive and Famicom were at in Japan. Now when you get to the American side of things, 40% or so of the NES and Genesis library was licensed titles, give or take a few because of regional differences.

So NEC was dumb for not realizing licensed games were almost 1/2 the American market but "Japanese company doesn't understand American buying culture" seems to be the theme of NEC's history.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

It's pretty obvious that NEC had no goddamn idea what the hell it was doing over here, which I think is a real shame. The TG16 would have never sold as much as the Genesis or SNES regardless, but I really think it deserved better marketing and oversight, and therefore success, in the US than what it got. If it had caught on a good bit more, we might have even seen a release of the PC-FX over here and the multitude of fantastic games it had to offer! :geno:

Going back to something that was discussed earlier, the system's aesthetics, I actually like the way it looks. It's so neat and compact, and it's great for people like me with too many systems because it's a rare 90's system you can stack other systems on! That said, the system feels incredibly cheaply made when compared to a SNES or Genesis, or hell a Master System or NES for that matter, and I always got the impression that Americans liked their systems to feel their worth. Like, the SNES was kinda expensive when it launched, but boy did it look and feel like a system that was worth the cost just based on aesthetics and build quality.

I also can't stress enough how terrible the boxart for TG16 games was and I wonder how much impact that might have had on the system's image here in the states. PC Engine boxart was a lot better, why the gently caress was it so bad over here? What the hell happened?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
They totally should have embraced and flaunted the anime for the Turbo. It would have made their games stand the hell out at the time, at least.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

al-azad posted:

The guy's not talking poo poo about licensing not playing a big role in Japan. You had some licensed products, mostly related to anime/manga, but it was nothing like America were the license dominated. Going by Mobygames' criteria of licensed games the PCE and PCE-CD's library was about 6% and 14% licensed games which is probably where the Mega Drive and Famicom were at in Japan. Now when you get to the American side of things, 40% or so of the NES and Genesis library was licensed titles, give or take a few because of regional differences.

So NEC was dumb for not realizing licensed games were almost 1/2 the American market but "Japanese company doesn't understand American buying culture" seems to be the theme of NEC's history.

True, though I would think someone would have looked over NES titles released during that time to show they were wrong. Guessing not.

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 25, 2014

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

The singer's range was really limited.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Peenmaster posted:

The singer's range was really limited.

I was able to see a WIP version of this song a couple of years ago he performed with the original Descendants of Erdrick lineup. It's come a long way since that performance, though I could see how some people might think the way you do. Hard to find singers with good range in nerd music scenes, and if you look outside of those scenes then you have to drop some money. Which many don't have in the VGM/chip/nerdcore community.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Picked up a loose copy of Fester's Quest at a flea market this Sunday. After playing it for a half hour, I can't help but feel like there's a good game under here somewhere and that it just wasn't play tested anywhere near enough. Enemies take way too many hits even with the gun at max (8) power, and the 3rd through 6th guns all have awkward firing patterns that make it really difficult to hit anything right in front of you. A turbo fire controller mostly fixes the first problem. It also suffers from "what the hell am I supposed to be doing" syndrome.

It's a shame because it's got that classic Sunsoft soundtrack. I really like their 8-bit era music.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Worse video game themes:

Street Fighter X Tekken (SFxT's terrible 2006 era numetal theme has to win some kind of award for not matching the game it's for):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0ZnYqlQNzI

Lunar (The other theme is actually worse):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIURTJKek0

Psycho Soldier (this was really technically impressive at the time):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-bgFIjH-Y

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 25, 2014

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Quiet Feet posted:

Picked up a loose copy of Fester's Quest at a flea market this Sunday. After playing it for a half hour, I can't help but feel like there's a good game under here somewhere and that it just wasn't play tested anywhere near enough. Enemies take way too many hits even with the gun at max (8) power, and the 3rd through 6th guns all have awkward firing patterns that make it really difficult to hit anything right in front of you. A turbo fire controller mostly fixes the first problem. It also suffers from "what the hell am I supposed to be doing" syndrome.

It's a shame because it's got that classic Sunsoft soundtrack. I really like their 8-bit era music.

Man I love that game, but I never beat it and I could never play it without my NES Advantage. I hardly used that thing for anything else because I was no good with a stick, but the turbo is absolutely necessary to make the game any good at all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

I genuinely enjoy Fester's Quest, but I freely admit that it might be due to a lightning strike I took to the forehead.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Dear new owner of the SNES repro kit, can I get a SNES cart with Sanrio world smash ball on it?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What's everybody's solution for storing your loose Gamecube games? I've been keeping my games in binders since PS1 days and have been wanting some sort of minidisc binder since that was something you could conceivably find in stores, but have never been able to find anything good. So for years I've just keep keeping them in a regular binder that I have to be careful never to invert, or turn the pages too quickly.

On an unrelated note, what's the most obvious thing missing from your collection, however that applies to what you collect? The NES is the first system I started collecting for, and I have well over 200 cartridges now, but have somehow never owned a copy of the original Contra.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Rollersnake posted:

What's everybody's solution for storing your loose Gamecube games? I've been keeping my games in binders since PS1 days and have been wanting some sort of minidisc binder since that was something you could conceivably find in stores, but have never been able to find anything good. So for years I've just keep keeping them in a regular binder that I have to be careful never to invert, or turn the pages too quickly.

I'm going to assume this auction doesn't represent the true price for them, but I have mine in a pair of these, but obviously that means I have less than 24 discs, so it's not exactly an extensive Gamecube collection. Also, $33!?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I got one of these free with a magazine in 2003-ish. I swear mine held more than six discs though

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rollersnake posted:

On an unrelated note, what's the most obvious thing missing from your collection, however that applies to what you collect? The NES is the first system I started collecting for, and I have well over 200 cartridges now, but have somehow never owned a copy of the original Contra.

I just print out the covers from coverproject and stick them in regular DVD cases. No disc game should be loose.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

bbcisdabomb posted:

I thought I'd be the only one interested in the Chinese bootleg GBA games, but if there's enough interest for a group buy I'd be happy to get the ball rolling! I'll buy if I can get at least 6 people. I figure I can hawk the other four on Craigslist if I have to.

Mother 3 would be $11.50 and the FF collection would be about $18, neither including shipping.

Mother 3: (Cart looks like this, not like the hilariously bad photo on the site)
1: bbcisdabomb
2: Tyson Tomoko
3: Heran Bago
4: Agrias 120
5: Agrias 120
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Anyone else interested? Shoot me a PM or post here and I'll add you to the list.

e. Two orders for Mother 3 from Agrias120. Just need one more for that one!

Hey, I might be down for getting one of those Mother 3 carts!

Would you mind emailing me at lepemont at hotmail with how much it'd be shipped to 98610 Washington?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

bbcisdabomb posted:

I thought I'd be the only one interested in the Chinese bootleg GBA games, but if there's enough interest for a group buy I'd be happy to get the ball rolling! I'll buy if I can get at least 6 people. I figure I can hawk the other four on Craigslist if I have to.

Mother 3 would be $11.50 and the FF collection would be about $18, neither including shipping.

Mother 3: (Cart looks like this, not like the hilariously bad photo on the site)
2: Tyson Tomoko
4: Agrias 120
5: Agrias 120
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Final Fantasy GBA Collection: (Dawn of Souls, IV, V, VI, Tactics Advance)
2: univbee
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

Anyone else interested? Shoot me a PM or post here and I'll add you to the list.

e. Two orders for Mother 3 from Agrias120. Just need one more for that one!

I'm down for a mother 3. I even have some nice looking labels hidden away somewhere all ready!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Congrats to you expectant babyhavers ITT. On the subject you can put me down for a second Mother 3 if it'll help get things going.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Hey I found more commercials! Here's 2 australian ones from 1998:

Nintendo 64 with Gold Controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clExwASZKs

Gold Gameboy with Donkey Kong Land (my first Video game console!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlYM5XOQEeA

And here's some American commercials from 1983:

Colecovision Expansion Module 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKAC1YogDBY

Pitfall!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeYmI86lSj0

Ms. Pac Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhbackoZwTs

And River Raid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO4Px0k9TOk

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Random question, but, can anyone recommend any single-plane brawlers in the vein of Splatterhouse, Altered Beast, Ninja Warriors, etc? Games that don't suck would be preferable, but I'll take whatever you've got.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Random question, but, can anyone recommend any single-plane brawlers in the vein of Splatterhouse, Altered Beast, Ninja Warriors, etc? Games that don't suck would be preferable, but I'll take whatever you've got.

Maybe it's not quite what you're looking for, but I always loved the Asterix & Obelix game for SNES. It's more like a platformer but you get to beat up romans and stuff a lot, and it's single plane. Totally different atmosphere though, of course.

The arcade version of that game is probably the best side scrolling beat 'em up there is, unfortunately that one's not single plane though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mace Bacon posted:

Gold Gameboy with Donkey Kong Land (my first Video game console!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlYM5XOQEeA

Funnily enough this was probably the last time Michael Klim was relevant, too.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan for Gameboy 1. I loved it as a kid, and it's held up fairly well. B&W though if you can stand that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I got a weird question: my brother came to visit me the other day and asked me if I had any spare Gamecubes (which I never will, since unlike other consoles, gotta have 8 for the Double Dash LAN (which will never happen but shut up)). Apparently his friends were all getting super-serious about wanting to play Smash Bros. Melee competitively. I told him to just get a backwards-compatible Wii since it was identical but apparently there's some gameplay-level discrepancy or something to that effect (he said something about a hack too, but didn't know specifics and may have been confused). This is generally possible, since frame-level differences are a big deal in these sorts of competitive games, but is there any truth to it as far as playing Gamecube games on a BC Wii is concerned?

For the record, no way in hell my brother's friends would care enough to drop the insane money required on GC Component Cables so that side of things and LAN/Broadband connectivity wouldn't be relevant.

EDIT turns out it was just the fact that newer Wii's weren't backwards-compatible. I guess checking for the ports is too much effort for my brother's friends. :v:

Rollersnake posted:

There was an official disc binder for Gamecube games that was minidisc-sized. Pretty handy, I think it holds 12 games?

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 25, 2014

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bing the Noize posted:

Dear new owner of the SNES repro kit, can I get a SNES cart with Sanrio world smash ball on it?

Yeah, let's see if I can make a cart without soldering my eyelids to my thumbs first.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Light Gun Man posted:

Gross, no.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah, let's see if I can make a cart without soldering my eyelids to my thumbs first.

What about just straight burning EPROMs for those of us who can source our own donor boards and solder on our own? :D Looks like https://www.gamereproductions.com will do this already, so I may hit them up, but I'd always prefer giving my money to a fellow retrogoon when possible.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I need a CRT. Can anyone comment on a Sony PVM vs BVM? Specifically the BVM-20F1U vs the PVM-2030.

Since I've resolved to try and include game talk with my hardware chat:

Had a LAN party last weekend. I was too lazy to bring a PC so I brought my SNES and Mario Kart and my Saturn and Bomberman. I think we played around an hour of Age of Empires 2 and then 6 hours of 8 person Bomberman. Goddamn that game is amazing. It's too bad it is so expensive, I'd love to have a legit CIB copy.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to bring to PAX East for retro stuff. Maybe I'll just pack a few flash carts and use the consoles they have there but Saturn Bomberman is calling to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Light Gun Man posted:

PAL cases didn't need reprints - once was enough in glorious fat blue :colbert:.

I still need to hunt down one of these controllers. It'll be mine... someday :negative:.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Rollersnake posted:

What about old diskette binder inserts?

[Url=" http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005ZFDK9I?cache=6fdfaf40b6cd8d0e4702fd9854ad3246#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1393340146&sr=8-1" ] example[/url]

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
So speaking of controllers, how the hell do you guys store yours? I thought I had a lot but you guys are pulling out things I've never even seen before (a TG-16 mouse?!) and I can't imagine a pile in the corner works for that many. I'm trying to get my storage situation off to a good start in this new house so I don't lose anything and I can keep straight what I actually own, so any advice is really welcome.

On a slight tangent, going through the boxes I moved with and seeing what's in them and organizing the stuff is so much fun.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I used to use those cheap plastic drawers. They are clear so you can see what's in them and they have a small footprint.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

A few dozen pages back, there was someone who found knock-off Everdrive 64s. I remember them not being a current firmware, but what is the difference? If there was a substantial price difference, it might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I'd like to support Krikzz while pirating every game for a system.

• Locked thread