Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Third Man posted:

Probably a yes on that one :v:

I finally managed to yotj out of help desk and will be assuming an operations role at my university, specifically in support of the WiFi network. This will be my first time in ops, and I'm really excited but also nervous. Can anyone share some thoughts or resources on what it takes to be successful in a role like this? I know there is going to be a LOT to learn at the start, so I'm planning on just being a sponge for a while, but other than that I'm not sure how best to go into this next stage in my career.

Yo, congrats on the move. I just got an email about the vacancy and figured it must be you, can't believe Joe is in charge now, lol.

Also hi 3rd IT thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Would you folks like to ballpark salary for the requirements quoted below? Clearly there's some variance with certs and experience, but I basically smoke all the requirements by a pretty good margin, I think.
(I have no idea what Windows 2000/2003 Pro Server are...)

quote:

The position is responsible for the day-to day IT support of BIG COMPANY business units. The role is responsible for the troubleshooting and resolving Level 2 (intermediate) problems for PCs, laptops, peripherals, and infrastructure with escalation to Level 3 (advanced) support where the problem cannot be resolved on a timely basis.

• Troubleshoot and resolve IT User & Desktop Support issues not able to be resolved by Frontline (Level 1) support team.
• Ensure Recall site infrastructure (LAN, Printers, File & Print Servers) is maintained in accordance with IT best practice. Ensure PC and File Server patch management and anti-virus updates are maintained at a high level of compliance.
• Ensure regional/local servers (not within a Data Center) are effectively managed to ensure backups, patching, and anti-virus are in accordance with Recall guidelines and policies.
• Deliver IT support in timely and effective manner in accordance with agreed service levels. Position Requirements: Desirable: Relevant IT industry certifications (i.e., MCP, CCA, MCSE, MSDBA)

• At least 3 years of working in an IT Support Function.

Knowledge:
• Windows 2000/2003 Pro Server
• Windows 2000/XP Professional
• LAN/WAN infrastructure
• Server/PC/Laptop builds
• Handheld Scanners/PDT’s
• Microsoft Office suite (2000, 2003)
• Windows Terminal Server/Citrix
• Hardware diagnosis/repair (PC/Server/Laptop/peripherals)

Skills:
• Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work under pressure and partake in multiple tasks simultaneously
• Determine priorities and appropriate escalation
• Strong Systems Support/Troubleshooting skills
• Logical/analytical process thinking

Desirable (Specialities):
• Desktop Management Tools (Altiris)
• AntiVirus Management (MacAfee ePO)
• Telecommunications (Voice) infrastructure administration

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 24, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They should pay extra for you having to support old poo poo.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Did they say what level clearance you will need? What branch or agency (DoD / DoS / DHS)is the "client" contracted to do work for? I can't say I've ever seen a contract-to-hire setup like you've explained in DoD before due to the cost and complexities of clearances, but that's just my experience in DoD contracting.

In any instance, what you want to look at finance wise is to first pull your credit report and see if anything is on it and be prepared to explain it. On your SF86 (form you will fill out for investigation) you will have a section where they ask the financial questions. It would be prudent to explain how/what/when/where/why anything is out of the ordinary on your credit report. Being current and no delinquencies is good and also be aware of your debt:income ratio and keep it in check. Medical debit isn't bad compared to revolving credit lines so that is a good thing. Have proof of your payment plan if it is official in anyway just in case like Zetsurin mentions. They want to make sure you are not living beyond your means.

Keeping your finances in check is a continuous process once you get your clearance as well because you will go through periodic reviews (every 5yrs) and whenever you might need to get upgraded a level. So you will want to keep an eye on your score. I pay for a credit monitoring service due to my clearance level and need to keep a job, so I pull my report at least every 60days because I am paranoid. Realistically, just be smart with your money, which it sounds like you are already doing, and you'll be fine.

There are other factors too like psychological counseling, criminal charges, drugs, foreign contacts, etc you will be asked about and I cannot stress this enough. Do NOT lie on the form. Because 1) it's is a federal document and lying on it is illegal....2) They will find out, it's their job as investigators. People get clearances all the time even if they've done stupid stuff, but they admitted it up front, it was investigated and cleared (they swore to never do it again), and all was good.

The last thing you want to do is quit a current job, start at the new one and begin the investigative process, only to lose that job later on and already burned the bridge at the previous job.

Great info. The level required is secret and the contractor works for DHS.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateAccount posted:

Would you folks like to ballpark salary for the requirements quoted below? Clearly there's some variance with certs and experience, but I basically smoke all the requirements by a pretty good margin, I think.
(I have no idea what Windows 2000/2003 Pro Server are...)

Sounds like a desktop role with some unfun sysadmin duties thrown in as a gently caress you. I wouldn't do the work for less than 60k, but often these types of roles are trying to get some expertise for free.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

Sounds like a desktop role with some unfun sysadmin duties thrown in as a gently caress you. I wouldn't do the work for less than 60k, but often these types of roles are trying to get some expertise for free.

Yup. Tier 2/3 Desktop and light server admin poo poo the other guys don't want to do. Depending on location 50 to 65K. Lower end for low COL states, higher end for higher COL areas.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Sickening posted:

What he said.

If the job description mentions XP, it better be part of a project to transition off of XP not to maintain a dead product.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wait is severance pay tax free? I got a check from my old company today for a bunch of money I'm still not sure where all of it came from(and I need to look to make sure they aren't still paying me), but it also appears anything in my "severance pay" till Jan 31st was never taxed...

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

skipdogg posted:

Yup. Tier 2/3 Desktop and light server admin poo poo the other guys don't want to do. Depending on location 50 to 65K. Lower end for low COL states, higher end for higher COL areas.

I'll confirm that, and he's right that it really depends on location/market.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Wait is severance pay tax free? I got a check from my old company today for a bunch of money I'm still not sure where all of it came from(and I need to look to make sure they aren't still paying me), but it also appears anything in my "severance pay" till Jan 31st was never taxed...

It was argued to the supreme court as recently as Oct 13, I don't think a decision has been made in that case, it's all up in the air. Keep records just incase you need to backpay on them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well, those estimates all sound relatively reasonable, and they're all substantially more than my current pay. :\

I also e-mailed our HR contact in the purchasing company exactly this:

quote:

Good afternoon,

Could I perhaps get a copy of the position description for IT Support Analyst II and the typical salary range? I’m looking for basically the position requirements and responsibilities.

Apparently this caused a minor shitstorm. She still hasn't responded, but she forwarded it to the guy who's running the transition between companies and he's just convinced that I am about to hit him up for more money and is pissed I didn't talk to him first. Uhhh, dude:

1> The "more money" ship has sailed a long time ago. The amount you'd have to pay to keep me around is at least a +75% raise. We should have had the money discussion months ago, back when a page with my new (lowered) salary was plopped down in front of me without any discussion or option. And then you basically threatened my job when I questioned signing a non-compete agreement that was missing pages. Get hosed.

2> If your knee jerk reaction to someone inquiring about their job details(especially given that no one has ever bothered to EXPLAIN them) is that they're coming after more money, it's a pretty loving good bet that you're underpaying them and you loving know it, you knob.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does any employer that isn't complete poo poo throw non-compete agreements at people?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

And then you basically threatened my job when I questioned signing a non-compete agreement that was missing pages.

I feel this needs more backstory

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Caged posted:

Does any employer that isn't complete poo poo throw non-compete agreements at people?

Is a non-compete non-standard? I figured a short-term non-compete directed at you jumping ship to a direct competitor was pretty standard, but I guess I wouldn't know.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Caged posted:

When I was working IT for an agricultural company I had a non-compete that said I couldn't go to their competitors. I have a feeling it was more for the engineers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I feel this needs more backstory

Oh, hmm. OK. New company comes in to do the official change over. They bring a lot of staff in, including some HR folks to get all of our new documentation sorted out. (They budgeted I believe 15 minutes per person to do all new hire and insurance paperwork for each person, that's the kind of pros we're dealing with.)
Firstly, there's no discussion of pay with new positions or what your new job will be. Everyone has a folder full of various stuff, and there's a page in there with your new salary and position. Don't like it? Well tough. Also: no more bonus program, which was a non-inconsequential part of our salary. So for me, it ended up being about a 10% pay cut, it was worse for others. A few individuals were paid modest "retainment bonuses" but these didn't compensate for lost bonus $$$.
Also in the folder was a noncompete. Except, as I look through it... there's... two? And one is incomplete and the two different agreements have entirely different terms and contradict each other.
Being a dumbass, I had forgotten my SS card that day, so I couldn't even complete my paperwork. The HR goon didn't know poo poo about the non-compete(and it said things about not working in a similar capacity within 50 miles, etc) so I said, "Hey, let me take these and I will bring it back signed with my docs tomorrow." I went back to my desk and pretty quickly deduced that one of the docs was incomplete and didn't apply to me and the other was fine and rather loose, no problem.
Welllll she decided to tell the guy running the show(these are the same two people involved in the position info email above) while I was at lunch. I get back from lunch and get intercepted on the way to my desk. I get pulled into a small dark unused office and grilled.

:butt:: I hear you have some issues with our noncompete?
:geno:: Uhh, oh yeah, turns out one wasnt valid, it...
:butt::Oh, it's valid.
:geno::No, I mean it wasn't complete.
:butt::So why don't you want to sign it?
:geno::Well I...
:butt::We all have to do it, it's just a thing to protect the company from blah blah blah
:geno::Well the one wasn't complete, and taken without the last page, it would keep me from getting a job within the city.
:butt::Well...
:geno::It's fine, the one I signed is fine, since I actually received the complete document.

During this entire thing, there was another suit in there, a sales guy, I think. It's hard to express, but the whole thing was very arms folded adversarial. It wasn't what you'd expect, something like, "Hey, you have to sign it to take the position, but let's talk about your concerns and make sure they're not based on a misreading and make sure there's nothing we can do to work it out."
I definitely got the feeling that if I'd told them I didn't think I wanted to sign it, I would have been marched out immediately. Also bear in mind that I had JUST met these people, and had just had my salary cut maybe two hours before. Yeah.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Oh, hmm. OK. New company comes in to do the official change over. They bring a lot of staff in, including some HR folks to get all of our new documentation sorted out. (They budgeted I believe 15 minutes per person to do all new hire and insurance paperwork for each person, that's the kind of pros we're dealing with.)
Firstly, there's no discussion of pay with new positions or what your new job will be. Everyone has a folder full of various stuff, and there's a page in there with your new salary and position. Don't like it? Well tough. Also: no more bonus program, which was a non-inconsequential part of our salary. So for me, it ended up being about a 10% pay cut, it was worse for others. A few individuals were paid modest "retainment bonuses" but these didn't compensate for lost bonus $$$.
Also in the folder was a noncompete. Except, as I look through it... there's... two? And one is incomplete and the two different agreements have entirely different terms and contradict each other.
Being a dumbass, I had forgotten my SS card that day, so I couldn't even complete my paperwork. The HR goon didn't know poo poo about the non-compete(and it said things about not working in a similar capacity within 50 miles, etc) so I said, "Hey, let me take these and I will bring it back signed with my docs tomorrow." I went back to my desk and pretty quickly deduced that one of the docs was incomplete and didn't apply to me and the other was fine and rather loose, no problem.
Welllll she decided to tell the guy running the show(these are the same two people involved in the position info email above) while I was at lunch. I get back from lunch and get intercepted on the way to my desk. I get pulled into a small dark unused office and grilled.

:butt:: I hear you have some issues with our noncompete?
:geno:: Uhh, oh yeah, turns out one wasnt valid, it...
:butt::Oh, it's valid.
:geno::No, I mean it wasn't complete.
:butt::So why don't you want to sign it?
:geno::Well I...
:butt::We all have to do it, it's just a thing to protect the company from blah blah blah
:geno::Well the one wasn't complete, and taken without the last page, it would keep me from getting a job within the city.
:butt::Well...
:geno::It's fine, the one I signed is fine, since I actually received the complete document.

During this entire thing, there was another suit in there, a sales guy, I think. It's hard to express, but the whole thing was very arms folded adversarial. It wasn't what you'd expect, something like, "Hey, you have to sign it to take the position, but let's talk about your concerns and make sure they're not based on a misreading and make sure there's nothing we can do to work it out."
I definitely got the feeling that if I'd told them I didn't think I wanted to sign it, I would have been marched out immediately. Also bear in mind that I had JUST met these people, and had just had my salary cut maybe two hours before. Yeah.

Stop worrying about non-competes. They aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Caged posted:

Depends, a bunch of VAR's, MSP's, or IT shops will do it anyways just out of practice. Most private companys will do it if they are a holes.

Sickening posted:

Stop worrying about non-competes. They aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Mostly this 90% of the time the company is just going to be blowing smoke. Unless you are the engineer for their accounting system or sole engineer keeping it running, or the CIO/CFO/<insert 3 letter title here> they can't and won't do jack. Some may throw something up but you'll win any unemployment case without a second thought.

I am speaking from experience because I went through this leaving one job and I think my posts are still in the old IT thread about it; basically it came down to last day "Hey if you do let any of our company asset secrets out to our competitors we will come down harder on you than anything". It's a corporate starting contest.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 24, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

I wasn't really, but there was a state Supreme Court decision where I work that kinda made them more of a threat than the used to be just last year.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

AlternateAccount posted:

I wasn't really, but there was a state Supreme Court decision where I work that kinda made them more of a threat than the used to be just last year.

Noncompetes in at-will states are essentially only enforceable if you leave to take a position you wouldn't be aware of if you didn't have your current job. Being encouraged to break your contract and take a job directly with the employer. Being headhunted by a client you met working at a VAR. Etc. The blanket "you can't even work in the same segment of the industry!" contracts that say "you worked for Bank A; you can't work for any other bank for the next 6 months" are worthless in court unless they can prove you took confidential knowledge which gave the competitors an advantage.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Assuming the following things about your current contract, would you take a FTE opportunity for the same position at a great company with great people?

- Contract has no end date (eg: Your contract is renewed every 8 months along with a rate increase)
- You don't plan on moving
- Your on your spouses medical
- FTE salary is equal or 20k less than current contractor gross income
- Mid to late 20's
- No PTO or sick time
- You want to buy a house in 5 years

I found out today that Company X thinks there aren't enough staff to cover our department because on paper we are a skeleton crew (we have a lot of capex to spend contractors) and they are going to approve a few more spots for FTE. They are going to come to me to offer a spot but I am on the fence about getting re-involved in office politics. I do love the contractor life right now as I am completely disconnected from office politics and could leave whenever I want for another contract, but I don't want to leave. My commute is 9 minutes and all my coworkers are great (bunch of net eng nerds that don't step on each others feet) and they give me whatever I ask for, personal or monetary. I do miss actually having PTO and not having to justify the loss of a paycheck for a one week vacation, but I am also afraid of possible eventual layoffs as I would be one of the high earning engineers on OpEx.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If I'm correct it's not exactly like you're hurting for work, and I don't see any advantage (no PTO, don't need medical) to being FTE, unless your contractor takes a good old slice of the gross. Your wife's job stability and your financial cushion are things to keep in mind as well.

Nothing prevents you from putting your 2 weeks and going back to contracting if you don't like it though.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

About non-competes, as others have mentioned you basically need to be in the executive suite or in a very narrow, senior technical position for it be even remotely enforceable. And even then they have to give you something in exchange for the thing, especially if you are not a new employee and previously were not party to a non-compete - chances are the boilerplate at-will employment agreement will not qualify.

Basically, unless you're a contracted (meaning your employment is guaranteed for some time, not that you are a 1099 worker) employee and your employer is being a stickler about you signing a non-compete, just do it. Then ignore it. If you are unsure, go pay for an hour of a lawyer's time who will probably tell you to ignore it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

Where are you finding gigs that pay this much? That wouldn't be for more than maybe $45k in the Midwest.

Someone prove me wrong.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Where are you finding gigs that pay this much? That wouldn't be for more than maybe $45k in the Midwest.

Someone prove me wrong.

It's just wild ballparking; it completely depends on the area where you work and how the area relates to CoL.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Sepist posted:

Assuming the following things about your current contract, would you take a FTE opportunity for the same position at a great company with great people?

- Contract has no end date (eg: Your contract is renewed every 8 months along with a rate increase)
- You don't plan on moving
- Your on your spouses medical
- FTE salary is equal or 20k less than current contractor gross income
- Mid to late 20's
- No PTO or sick time
- You want to buy a house in 5 years

I found out today that Company X thinks there aren't enough staff to cover our department because on paper we are a skeleton crew (we have a lot of capex to spend contractors) and they are going to approve a few more spots for FTE. They are going to come to me to offer a spot but I am on the fence about getting re-involved in office politics. I do love the contractor life right now as I am completely disconnected from office politics and could leave whenever I want for another contract, but I don't want to leave. My commute is 9 minutes and all my coworkers are great (bunch of net eng nerds that don't step on each others feet) and they give me whatever I ask for, personal or monetary. I do miss actually having PTO and not having to justify the loss of a paycheck for a one week vacation, but I am also afraid of possible eventual layoffs as I would be one of the high earning engineers on OpEx.

What other perks are involved with being an FTE? Is there a bonus program? Stock options? Do you pay a premium for spousal insurance on your wife's coverage that you could eliminate going to fte with self coverage? How much PTO? Retirement matching? Health club benefits/transit benefits/other "perk" benefits? How would those stack up when calculated into the annual fte rate? Is it really a loss?

Stocks and retirement account assets can be useful in getting mortgages because they're positive assets.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

That's very generous. I would say more like $40k in a lower COL area.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Looks like you missed out on most of the Windows 2000 -> Windows XP migration too. Too bad, could have been a great opportunity.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

That's very generous. I would say more like $40k in a lower COL area.

It's basically my job description and I'm right around 45k+ on-call pay

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
My old boss has just been asking why the project I'm working on is slipping

I said there is a bit to do with new boss and a bit to do with an Infosec guy who is never on site but tries to set us impossible delivery targets (to paraphrase...)

Old boss gave away that big boss has asked him why the project is slipping, I assume he is trying to find out.

I think everyone in the company knows new boss and info sec guy don't work together so hopefully made my point without actually spilling any beans so to speak

It'll be interesting to see what feed back comes back my way. Not quite sure if I have done the right thing here but I'm sure there will be a lesson to be learned here!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Roargasm posted:

Looks like you missed out on most of the Windows 2000 -> Windows XP migration too. Too bad, could have been a great opportunity.

Well it's all still XP and all still needs to be migrated to something from this decade.

Honestly, I don't want any part of it. With all due modesty, I am kind of insulted that that was the position they gave me, considering that really I am overqualified for that desktop centric business and tried to put that behind me 5+ years ago.

I get to have a sit down with the big guy tomorrow for an official airing of grievances(not just me, all the salaried people.) We'll see how that goes.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What other perks are involved with being an FTE? Is there a bonus program? Stock options? Do you pay a premium for spousal insurance on your wife's coverage that you could eliminate going to fte with self coverage? How much PTO? Retirement matching? Health club benefits/transit benefits/other "perk" benefits? How would those stack up when calculated into the annual fte rate? Is it really a loss?

Stocks and retirement account assets can be useful in getting mortgages because they're positive assets.

When you put all those together they don't really stack up to much. Seems like I would gain about $20 - 23k in employee benefits so I will have to keep that in mind, thanks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I would think you can wrangle a bit more, unless your contracted company really didn't charge much (on top of what you made)

Still, free 20k if you stay there a year can't be bad.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW
How many of your guys have a salary + overtime deal going on?

My company does a 35 hour work week (though really, who takes an hour for lunch,) and I've been cranking at 50+ hours weekly since November.

It's not total hell: I'm salaried at 74k-ish, have a buttload of Citrix certs, and work from a remote office closer to home a few days a week. It's actually a pretty great gig and I like the work; it's just that I'm basically being railroaded into supermanning to keep the staff lean, and I'm getting a little tired of logging in to vSphere the second I plop in front of the TV every night.

I figure I'll start recording my hours, and approach my boss at the end of March to discuss additional staff or salary + overtime. Too bold? Do I actually have it pretty cushy and I am being a crybaby?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're doing work you're not paid for, what's bold about asking?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Doesn't salary mean "available 24/7/365 and for as many hours a week as required?"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

Doesn't salary mean "available 24/7/365 and for as many hours a week as required?"
In your dystopian world maybe.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

No, it means "available 8/5 and maybe do some overtime every now and then"

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

evil_bunnY posted:

In your dystopian world maybe.

Well, more managers I've dealt with have taken it this way than not. Salary is usually seen as a way to extract shitloads of overtime from someone for "free."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Well, more managers I've dealt with have taken it this way than not. Salary is usually seen as a way to extract shitloads of overtime from someone for "free."

Its a two way street. The employer has to push for it AND the employee has to agree to do it. You can reasonably decline not to do something unreasonable. So far its worked for me.

• Locked thread