Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Yeah, yeah, 305's are garbage or whatever but I'm still so stoked this project is moving along :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Makes a good mock-up engine, anyway. ;)

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

305's can still make some decent power with your basic modifications. Throw a set of vortec heads on there, a cam, intake, and headers. Not worth doing anything internal's wise, although I have come across it once or twice. All that is transferable to a 350 once you decide the 305 isn't enough for you any longer. Although, if the 305 if just a temporary thing, make sure you factor that into your parts choices.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
I don't really know if the 305 is temporary or not at this point. I'm very much learning as I go along, being guided along by a guy who has done swaps like this before, albeit 20+ years ago into old Datsuns. The RX is pretty light so I still think it will be tons of fun. Hell, it was plenty enjoyable with the 12a. Point taken about the transferable parts at any rate. In the next couple of nights we will have it for reals mounted in place, and be able to see exactly what kind of headers I can get away with.

As far as heads and cams go, I have no clue how to what I should be looking for that would suit the application, much less what would also be suitable in a later 350.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

gently caress, this poo poo happened again to the same wheel.

SFH1989 posted:

And something a pothole did last night. This is why I got steelies for my winter tires.

But it's not as bad this time, not leaking, so I'm just taking this advice:

Fucknag posted:

Man, it's a steelie, if it held air I'd have hammered that lip back out and kept on driving. :v:

gently caress it these wheels are only going to be on for about a month more anyway. Steel wheels continue to be the best choice for the winter.

My mom is a slut posted:

I don't really know if the 305 is temporary or not at this point. I'm very much learning as I go along, being guided along by a guy who has done swaps like this before, albeit 20+ years ago into old Datsuns. The RX is pretty light so I still think it will be tons of fun. Hell, it was plenty enjoyable with the 12a. Point taken about the transferable parts at any rate. In the next couple of nights we will have it for reals mounted in place, and be able to see exactly what kind of headers I can get away with.

As far as heads and cams go, I have no clue how to what I should be looking for that would suit the application, much less what would also be suitable in a later 350.

350's are cheap and everywhere so spending the time on parts that you can swap will pay off later. You should have no problem finding one in the future for a reasonable price.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I always thought 305s were supposed to be decent and it was the 307 that was a complete boat anchor?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The 305 has a much narrower bore than most other small blocks (3.67" vs the 350's 4.00"); even if you slap good heads and fuel on it, it still won't generate as much torque as an equivalent 350 since the piston area is smaller, ergo less horsepower throughout the rev range. Given how cheap 350s are, there's literally no reason to use a 305 unless it's off-your-shelf free. 307 is pretty much the same story, it's a narrower-bore 327 with low-flow heads, 2bbl carb stock, low compression (I'm talking 8.5:1) - again, 327s are much more common and easier to build, plus later ones had roller cams, which the 307 never did.

It's like doing a Honda B16 swap when the K20 exists.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Interesting, but I will not hear the B series blasphemed here t:mad:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey no hate here, it was a fantastic engine in its time.

Much like James Watt's steam engine.

E: Speaking of obsolete engines, I forgot I have actual content for the thread! I've been stripping the Protege back down over the last few weeks, and today I got the engine out and pulled the trans off. Confirmed that it is the rear main seal; it seems I got it installed cockeyed juuuuust so, to where it doesn't form a good seal on the outer edge. :doh: I'll run by Mazda and order another one tomorrow since the parts counter was clsoed by the time I was done.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 26, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fucknag posted:

It's like doing a Honda B16 swap when the K20 exists.

Woah now, let's not get to hasty. B series are still cheap and can put out a good amount of horse for not much money.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Quick and dirty polishing job on my taillights with this 3M headlight restoration kit... Definitely gets my thumbs up, the price is right and they do it "correctly" it's not just a bottle of abrasive goo with a fancy label and a higher price tag on it like most makers do.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

got the day off so... intercooler!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'd know Volvo intercooler couplers anywhere!

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

They are in terrible shape and I really should have bought new ones before installing. New clamps too.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Dropped car off at the shop tonight.

**towed car to the shop tonight

Starter was just going clickclickclickclick maybe turned over once or twice. Tow truck driver figured it was my battery. Battery is a two month old Optima Yellow Top. He hooked up his jumper box, clickclickclick then he noticed some smoke behind my battery. Disconnected battery, smoke stopped. Decided we'd tow it. Ebrake would not release. Handle is totally loosey goosey and is apparently incapable of releasing the ebrake. Tow truck driver radios for a non flatbed truck to come. He asks if there's anything else he can do for me, I ask him to actually test my Optima. His little meter indicates that I have "6800 CCA" which is a lot higher than it should be. He probably doesn't know what he's doing. He takes off.

Regular truck comes, tow it to shop, try to jump it again (no smoke this time, which is nice) but of course it won't start. Left a note, hopefully my mechanic will be able to make sense of it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

drukqs posted:

He hooked up his jumper box

then he noticed some smoke behind my battery

Disconnected battery, smoke stopped

Welcome to babby's first +/- reversal. :ohdear:

And who the gently caress did you piss off to get THAT avatar? :stonklol:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

There's a lot of reasons the battery or wiring behind it would smoke besides a polarity reversal.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

I was considering making a Knuc if u JDM joke, but I figured you bought it. :confused:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

serviced and threw a layer of wax on the old hilux. It went from pink to red again!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I know it's dead simple but after the debacle of the under-manifold cooling hoses on the Miata that took two hours for a single goddamn hose, doing an oil change on the car in 20 minutes from garage open to garage closed was pretty nice. Went from 4500mi Valvoline VR1 20-50 to the Mobil 1 10-30. I couldn't find 10-40 in the 5.1q jug, so it still getting cold occasionally should help. Come summer I will be hitting Wal-Mart for the 10-40 for sure, though.

I've been getting 3500mi out of the VR1 usually, and Blackstone had good things to say about that interval, but I'm going to try to get at least 5k out of the Mobil 1. I will be sending a sample at 3k and 5k to see what they say.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

I know it's dead simple but after the debacle of the under-manifold cooling hoses on the Miata that took two hours for a single goddamn hose, doing an oil change on the car in 20 minutes from garage open to garage closed was pretty nice. Went from 4500mi Valvoline VR1 20-50 to the Mobil 1 10-30. I couldn't find 10-40 in the 5.1q jug, so it still getting cold occasionally should help. Come summer I will be hitting Wal-Mart for the 10-40 for sure, though.

I've been getting 3500mi out of the VR1 usually, and Blackstone had good things to say about that interval, but I'm going to try to get at least 5k out of the Mobil 1. I will be sending a sample at 3k and 5k to see what they say.

Where in this goddamn world is Shell Rotella T5 10W40 not available?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

I actually like it, think it's hilarious. Some of the people in the "eCig/Vaporizer" thread have zero tolerance for newbies to the hobby. "wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo..." is something I said when I was being attacked for some miscellaneous reason. I tend to forget the key to being respected online is to never post about your failures and always post about your successes.

Why did babby have to reverse +/- on my car and how many other people has he done this to during his limited time as a tow truck driver

drukqs fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 1, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
500# springs installed in the front.

3.5" intake, 3.5" MAF and traction control delete boot installed. Intake fit is pretty much piss poor, I had to basically ignore their directions and flip what side they say to put the bracket on. At least now I have +20hp a noisemaker.

24# injectors to go with the tune I'll be getting for the 3.5" MAF + m50 manifold.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I had to literally take a file to the metal box on my AFE intake for my e46 to get it to fit properly. AFEs fit quality is garbage. Sounds good though!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I had to bend the poo poo out of the front mount, the angle was seriously 20 degrees off. If I installed the intake mount the way they wanted ("behind" the metal in the picture) I wouldn't have been able to fit the MAF in the boot since it starts to reduce. The intake tube location is also about 1/2" too far towards the engine. I will slot those holes if I ever take it apart again.

In retrospect I should have just gotten the OEM euro airbox, but they are a PITA to find.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

On the AFE intake on my Civic, the bottom airbox tab that is slotted for the rubber grommet mount is like 1/4" off center and so the rubber mount doesn't line up and I can't use that mount. The other two mounts worked out fine...

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Got new tires on the GTP last weekend and replaced the belts and a squeaky tensioner. Today the HVAC motor gave up the ghost after a year or two of acting screwy. Now the alternator is going out. This car is nickel and diming me to death lately. I really don't wanna cash it in though. I like my car.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Speaking of squeaky tensioner... (Crossposting from the miata megamanthread):

Made a video of my saturday project, testing the new roadstersport 3 on the jackstands. Plus a little open exhaust blip, would be better if i wasnt too lazy to put proper tension on my belts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2MrU-9QDoU&hd=1

Its odd, at idle its as quiet as stock, cruising on the freeway its barely audible, but when you stomp the gas it sounds like all 4 cylinder hell is breaking loose.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Finally got around to working on the truck.

Installed new studs on the wheel the the last shop cross threaded ever lug nut.
Installed new shocks because the old ones were more rust than any thing else.
Spent way too long doing the shocks because the nuts on the upper bolts had rusted to globs of metal with no shape.
Installed new front swaybar end links because one had broken, this was a pain beacuse the bottom of the link mounts through a small hole in the lower control arm and ishard as gently caress to get the nut started on the bolt.
Installed a new solenoid on the starter.

Oh god the rust.

The pile of rust that fell of the truck while working on it.

All for this.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
My clutch line finally came in, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised they're making Australian-American parts in Germany.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

Took my 2003 mercedes to service. Turned out it needes about 2 grand in repairs. been riding with a broken front spring for about 2 months... woops.

Parts for a sport edition mercedes is not cheap. :(

at least ONE bolt out of two held the front suspension together for about 4 years...

so that'll be a service, all new break discs, breakpads, springs AND whatever suspension mount thing that is.

I got a smart fourtwo as a loaner for 2 days. oh the horror!

Emushka fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 4, 2014

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Well, the 305 is actually mounted in place now. Everything clears, and the the hood will even be able to close. If the headers I've got coming fit without modification (ha) then I might be able actually crank this thing for the first time late tomorrow night or Wednesday. And whoever it was that mentioned it a while back, in fact the 305 and 700R4 were both free, so this swap has been surprisingly easy on my wallet. :)

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

drukqs posted:

Dropped car off at the shop tonight.

**towed car to the shop tonight

Starter was just going clickclickclickclick maybe turned over once or twice. Tow truck driver figured it was my battery. Battery is a two month old Optima Yellow Top. He hooked up his jumper box, clickclickclick then he noticed some smoke behind my battery. Disconnected battery, smoke stopped. Decided we'd tow it. Ebrake would not release. Handle is totally loosey goosey and is apparently incapable of releasing the ebrake. Tow truck driver radios for a non flatbed truck to come. He asks if there's anything else he can do for me, I ask him to actually test my Optima. His little meter indicates that I have "6800 CCA" which is a lot higher than it should be. He probably doesn't know what he's doing. He takes off.

Regular truck comes, tow it to shop, try to jump it again (no smoke this time, which is nice) but of course it won't start. Left a note, hopefully my mechanic will be able to make sense of it.

Update..

New starter ate itself, shop removed starter and found that they can not turn the motor. Pulled the plugs it still wont turn. says "theres something in there"

Somebody on the MR2OC facebook feed tossed "probably ac compressor" out there. It is entirely possible, and I did futz with the tension on this part when I removed the passenger side engine hook. My AC compressor has not been hooked up to anything since the conversion was done, it is possible that when I replaced the engine hook I made it a lot tighter and the motor is being prevented from turning over.

My dad is going with :downs::"yeah its probably hydrolocked because of all the rain we've been getting"

Thanks a lot dad.

If it's not the AC compressor they're going to drop the trans and see just what is not able to turn.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Decided that I didnt really like my fuel economy anyway and refitted the roof top tent for a long weekend away.

hello 15L/100 my old friend...

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

That poor Lancia...wait what's all this about trucks now?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not my ride, but a few weeks ago I picked up a OBDII blutooth adapter since I finally picked up an android device recently (nook). Well my nook didnt like to pair with it, so I had to wait for an SD card to be shipped to me so that I could dual-boot a plain old android OS. Works great, so now I can finally use Torque and see how bad my MPG is. Also it can apparently time your 0-60? Awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

drukqs posted:

My dad is going with :downs::"yeah its probably hydrolocked because of all the rain we've been getting"

If it's not the AC compressor they're going to drop the trans and see just what is not able to turn.

Wait, what? Neither of these make any sense.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the A/C compressor is well and truly seized, plus the compressor clutch is seized as well, it can make it seem to be difficult / impossible to crank the engine. My sister's '95 SL1 did that once, the starter couldn't crank the engine half the time (my youngest brother has a habit of ignoring loud, painful sounds on cars, and he'd been driving it that way for a non-trivial distance).

Of course, remove the belt and you confirm/rule out that one really quickly.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Wait, what? Neither of these make any sense.

Some dude on the boards said he'd had the AC thing happen to him before.

Hydrolock from rain droplets made no sense, yeah.

Mechanic said there was a buttload of gas in the oil.

The motor spins freely, gonna find out tomorrow if it's salvageable.

I do have another longblock lined up and a shop that knows MR2's to do the work, if worse comes to worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
Bought a few tips for my Focus ST. BOV, intake, exhaust, shift plate.

It will be a busy weekend.