Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
This year's "don't get scared" section disappointed me; it seemed like they rushed through it in editing because they had to wrap up the show. Those're my favorite parts and I wish they'd do another standalone "don't get scared" aside from TsukiteiYamasaki's Haunted Piano and Matsumoto's Haunted Hotel. Haunted Hotel was so good because he gave up emotionally so early on and it was fun to watch a scared, defeated man slog through it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlobalHero06
Jan 31, 2006
not a local hero
The best part of this years don't get scared segment was the evil alien lady constantly flubbing her lines and someone, Matsumoto I think, asking earnestly Why didn't they reshoot this?

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I really love the don't get scared parts but what I've never understood, right from the first one on, is that they always say "You can laugh from now on but if you get scared, you're out". I suppose the being scared part is enough punishment but they're never really "out" in the general sense of the Batsu, not even at the end or anything.

Just seems weird to me that they'd explicitely mention it year after year. If they just said "alright guys you can laugh from now on but be prepared to get scared a lot!" or something it wouldn't change anything and be less "confusing". Really doesn't detract from the enjoyment of it all but I guess it's just a little pet peeve of mine that I've noticed over the years.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

abraxas posted:

I really love the don't get scared parts but what I've never understood, right from the first one on, is that they always say "You can laugh from now on but if you get scared, you're out". I suppose the being scared part is enough punishment but they're never really "out" in the general sense of the Batsu, not even at the end or anything.

Just seems weird to me that they'd explicitely mention it year after year. If they just said "alright guys you can laugh from now on but be prepared to get scared a lot!" or something it wouldn't change anything and be less "confusing". Really doesn't detract from the enjoyment of it all but I guess it's just a little pet peeve of mine that I've noticed over the years.

I wonder the same thing every year, too, but I also just figured being scared shitless was enough of a punishment. It would be awesome, though, if after a giant panda bear chased them onto an elevator in the middle of the night they would get off at the next floor only to be called out and get thai kicked.

edit: Anyone think Downtown might bow out of these in the next few years? They're always complaining about how old they are and Matsumoto can't run too well anymore. It might be nice one year to have Cocorico become the elder duo with Yamasaki and License since they're on the show often enough.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 23, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Let Downtown become the behind the scenes masterminds setting off all the traps. Film them too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I agree with the "you're out" thing is dumb for the scared bits.

I don't want to see Downtown bow out of the batsu games, but if they need to make it so that they're not doing anything too physical, so be it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Matsumoto has directed very wicked wacky films.

Let his troubled back, knees, legs, and also rear end rest and have him direct the stuff live.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

All the over the top stuff is great but I'd love to see a game where it's just the guys trying to screw each other over. One of the early bath house ones (MrLonghair's avatar sup) had Matsumoto constantly screwing himself over trying to make the others laugh which was hilarious.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think they just have too many bits they feel the need to do each year now. I love that they brought back the tag, but then they rushed through the staff meeting and the scary part. I'm alright with skipping a lot of the staff meeting since I always find those stories boring, but they need to be willing to just let skits go. I really liked last year with the trial of Endo. They make fun of his love life a lot, but it was a nice new format.

My favourite parts are always where they just leave them to their own devices with a few props. The opening of the drawers is always the best part every year. They're funny guys, they will set each other (and themselves) off.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It really is a testament to their skill when some of the gags are super simple but they still run with it to bring the pain a dozen more times - like doing rad as hell backflips with a miniature Hamada doll.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
To me, Endo's trial was the awesomest bit they've ever done. All the pomp and circumstance of that trial just to have the payoff for a multi-year joke about his womanizing. All capped off by Egashira 2:50 making GBS threads talcum all over his face. Batsu perfection.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
The Airport Batsu with the Hamada drawings will always be my favorite bit. How he didn't lose his poo poo at all of them is beyond me.

Even though it was a quick gag, the Yamasaki scratcher that earned him 2 Thai kicks in a row was great too.

Asiina is right, though: they're at their best when they're just loving around with each other.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I agree that it's gotten a bit formulaic over the past few years. I think they feel pressured to constantly outdo themselves each year and it's getting increasingly harder. There's really not a whole lot more you can do to make it, I dunno, funnier or more over the top. Really, what more can you do after renting out an entire goddamn airport or time-traveling back to olden times? They already have to "resort" (for a lack of a better word) to things like having Chono show up twice. Obviously there are still brilliant bits in the whole deal, like the DVDs this year or the Elite Salt bit, but by now it's sort of gotten to the point where people pretty much know what to expect when seeing a prop or a funny person show up.

It's kind of hard for me to find the right words to describe what I mean. I don't mean to sound overly negative or anything. I love the Batsu games to pieces and I'll probably hope for a quick sub every year until the end of times. What I mean is that nowadays it's less new, surprising stuff and more stuff they've done before but changed slightly. There's less surprises or new things and more of "Oh I've seen this gag before, I wonder what they'll do with it this time!" (eg: every Jimmy video, the Tanaka DVDs, Chono, even the bus rides kind of count I guess). It's not necessarily a bad or awful thing but I think it does make it feel more formulaic when you can basically sketch out which parts come where before even watching the Batsu. Does that make any sense to anyone but me?

I'm sort of indifferent towards the whole discussion about letting either everyone participate or having a roulette like thing to determine who participates and who masterminds it behind the scenes. I think both formats have produced great Batsus so whatever works, I'll take it. I honestly think Downtown will continue doing these until they literally are unable to walk or bend over to get slapped on their asses. They've all done it after being hurt/having an operation (at least Hosei and Matsumoto come to mind) and I think as long as they're at least somewhat physically capable, they won't pull out. I think both Hamada and Matsumoto are absolute work horses and you will probably have to force them to stop rather than them going "Oh yeah I don't wanna do this anymore". And as long as these two go, I think Cocorico and Hosei will feel somewhat obligated to continue, too.

One thing I'm incredibly sad about, though, is that they never plan for any sleeping or night time activities anymore, save for the "don't get scared" bits, I guess. I think my absolute favorite Batsu memory that still makes me crack up every time I watch it, despite knowing exactly what and when it's coming, is from the Police Batsu. When they try to sleep and Endo and Hamada just crack up every time "Show hey heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!" blares over the speakers, I just lose it.

I understand this is probably something they decided on because it usually took away a lot of "gag time", even if they weren't getting a lot of sleep. It was usually near the end and just kind of left them awkwardly getting up, walking out, getting butt-slapped once or twice more and then going home to end the show which was always a bit weird. And I assume their age kinda plays a role in it too. Who wants to get barely any sleep on crappy futons on the floor somewhere when you could just bust out another couple hours of funny stuff and then go home to your actual real bed and sleep all night and the next day too. Still, I'd rather they do away with their weird little conferences or something and bring back the sleep (or no sleep!) torture :v:

YouTubeTekReviewer
Apr 25, 2005

Are there any .gifs of that stupid dance from when Endo/Tanaka/Hosei were captured and watching the little show during their "Don't Get Scared" bit? I swear I was laughing at that for a solid minute after he went away.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

abraxas posted:

One thing I'm incredibly sad about, though, is that they never plan for any sleeping or night time activities anymore, save for the "don't get scared" bits, I guess. I think my absolute favorite Batsu memory that still makes me crack up every time I watch it, despite knowing exactly what and when it's coming, is from the Police Batsu. When they try to sleep and Endo and Hamada just crack up every time "Show hey heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!" blares over the speakers, I just lose it.

Yes! I've forgotten a lot of the gags, but I still remember this because it was so simple but it broke them every single time. I also miss the sleeping parts.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Show Hey Heeeeeey bit is still by far the funniest moment from any Batsu game as far as I'm concerned. It just kept getting funnier and funnier. Overall the weakest parts tend to be the ones where the comedy comes from something or someone else other than the guys themselves (all we get are their reactions) which is a strange thing to do when all of them are professional comedians and more than able to carry more of the show than they do nowadays.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Stare-Out posted:

The Show Hey Heeeeeey bit is still by far the funniest moment from any Batsu game as far as I'm concerned. It just kept getting funnier and funnier. Overall the weakest parts tend to be the ones where the comedy comes from something or someone else other than the guys themselves (all we get are their reactions) which is a strange thing to do when all of them are professional comedians and more than able to carry more of the show than they do nowadays.

I'm also a huge fan of "Konya ga Yamada" and the various permutations they had him record. "Konya ga Yamada fuuuu~" cracks me up like a 10 year old schoolboy. I don't know how but that and Show hey hey somehow never, ever get old. I'd say my least favorite parts are usually the ones where you really notice the difference in eastern and western comedy. Things like those conferences where they tell funny/embarassing stories about random people just never really get me that much. Same goes for the parts in the Hot Spring Batsus where Itao comes in and keeps scolding Tanaka for not showing up when they were supposed to meet. Or that other guy who has his "foreigner friend" butting in constantly, asking him to "tell that joke again". They usually confuse me more than they make me laugh. I mean I laugh because the guys crack up but I think there's just too big of a difference in the "comedy culture" for me to really get or appreciate those parts.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Stare-Out posted:

The Show Hey Heeeeeey bit is still by far the funniest moment from any Batsu game as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. I love any gags where one or more of them can't help but laugh, then get mad because they keep making them laugh, then can't help but laugh again at how stupid/absurd it is. Another similar one that comes to mind is the bit from Itao's "Don't Get Aroused" scam idea from one of the regular Gaki no Tsukai episodes where they show the video of a seal and keep calling Tanaka OUT and restarting the tape over and over.

Edit: Actually they used to do that with the Jimmy segment videos too, right? It's been a couple of years since they used to force them to start the video over every time one of them laughed, hasn't it?

Arschlochkind fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 25, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, some of the Jimmy videos they start over again and again until they can make it past it.

I prefer Jimmy messing up trying to answer questions than just gagging on a smell though.

Honestly, I think the part I wish they'd do away with but I know they never will is the two teams doing painful things to prove their manliness. I don't really find that kind of painful physical comedy funny, but it's probably the bit they do that involves the most outside guests, so they'll keep that one going forever so they can involve all those people.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Asiina posted:

Yeah, some of the Jimmy videos they start over again and again until they can make it past it.

I prefer Jimmy messing up trying to answer questions than just gagging on a smell though.

Honestly, I think the part I wish they'd do away with but I know they never will is the two teams doing painful things to prove their manliness. I don't really find that kind of painful physical comedy funny, but it's probably the bit they do that involves the most outside guests, so they'll keep that one going forever so they can involve all those people.

That bit can be amazing but depends a lot on who is doing what. The Airport version of this was basically amazing from beginning to end and the Spy wasn't bad, either. The past 2 years have been average at best, though.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The "Don't Get Frightened" section was kinda lackluster but god drat that giant robot, we needed more of that.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Yeah this year's batsu game was kind of a mixed bag. Like it was still entertaining, but I wish there was more to it.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Aw, part 10 isn't working now. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Also, can anyone tell me this actor's name?

He's usually in the 'celebrity gossip meeting' part of the batsu games, and I think was the prosecutor at Endo's trial.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Chihara Junior.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Crotch Bat posted:

Chihara Junior.

Awesome, thanks. Now to find out if any of his other work has been translated.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

He does some VA and acting but I'm not up on what of that is and isn't subbed. If you want to see him and a whole host of other hilarious guys, most of them recognizable to GnT fans, telling amazing stories for hours look up the Suberanai Hanashi series. There's like 4ish hours of it subbed and it's terrific. Chihara is a good storyteller as well, most are usually him telling what dumb or crazy stuff other comedians did.

Koumoto's stories are phenomenal, I could listen to him talk about his mom or lesbian sister all day long.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 2, 2014

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

http://vk.com/video-7016284_167859822

"The goal is to buy an item that suits the members. Each members has a specific piece of clothing that they like to get and everyone has to match his taste."

Surprisingly really entertaining. (Though the hosting site is terrible)

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

JerseyMonkey posted:

"The goal is to buy an item that suits the members. Each members has a specific piece of clothing that they like to get and everyone has to match his taste."

Tanaka's reactions to the cardigans were fantastic.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Ahaha holy poo poo the gifts for Yamazaki/Housei. I found it kind of funny how in every other round, he bought the worst gift.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

^^

Hosei was entertaining with his choices. I still can't get used to his new name Tsukitei Hosei.

pwnyXpress posted:

Tanaka's reactions to the cardigans were fantastic.

Tanaka looked like he was ready to cry because of how happy he was with their choices.

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 4, 2014

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

JerseyMonkey posted:

That was actually really sweet, because it focused on the relationships between them. I always like seeing random episodes of Gaki like this.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

JerseyMonkey posted:

This brings up something I've always found interesting. Why are some of them wearing medical masks? Is it cause they're sick or don't want to get a cold from someone else? It's been a nagging question to me for the longest time.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Zain posted:

This brings up something I've always found interesting. Why are some of them wearing medical masks? Is it cause they're sick or don't want to get a cold from someone else? It's been a nagging question to me for the longest time.

Your 2 top reasons are that, yes. They're either sick and being considerate so as not to infect others or it's flu season or something and they're trying to prevent infection.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought part of it was maybe because they didn't want to be recognised in public or something. (Which I guess doesn't make much sense since there's a camera following them around)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought part of it was maybe because they didn't want to be recognised in public or something. (Which I guess doesn't make much sense since there's a camera following them around)

I was thinking that too, but there were a number of people in the background with masks as well. I'm guessing something was spreading at the time.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I was thinking that too, but there were a number of people in the background with masks as well. I'm guessing something was spreading at the time.

It really is just something they do, it's not remotely uncommon there. Here if I see someone outside in the world with a mask on I assume they've either got a bad hay fever or worst case, TB, but over there it's different.

I think it got "big" around when the various flu bugs started becoming a worry/fear in Asian countries a decade or so ago. Plus, it's really not a bad idea since a lot of them spend significant time being squished together like sardines on public transportation. I seem to remember the fascination with a lot of them wearing masks being on the US national media radar for awhile back in the day.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Japan has awesome underwear. I was totally surprised no one got Hosei g-strings

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Crotch Bat posted:

Your 2 top reasons are that, yes. They're either sick and being considerate so as not to infect others or it's flu season or something and they're trying to prevent infection.

Other than those two... Many use them to prevent allergies. Also know a girl who wore one on the morning train because she didn't have makeup and wanted to hide her face.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ultra-rare early manzai from Downtown. It's a great little clip. Turn the CC on to get the subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJPnoQn7eCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Godzilla Radio put out another episode of Hitoshi Matsumoto's Suberanai Hanashi a couple of weeks ago. It's got some great stories, with the added novelty of having non-Japanese comedian Chad Mullane added to the mix.

Unfortunately, it seems he's soured on the translating game. I wish more people would step up.