Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Taffer posted:

I dunno, I watched 10 or so episodes of sleepy hollow and lost interest. Demon/horror stuff is really bland to me, and the lead characters are both really uninteresting.

There are some parallels to Fringe, but I don't think it's as close as you guys say. And the characters can't even hold a candle to the Fringe crew, there's barely any rapport between the two main characters, and none between the rest of the cast. When you compare that to Walter/Olivia/Astrid/Peter, there's no comparison, not to mention the B-universe Fringe crew. And no characters in SH have anywhere near the depth of Walter or Olivia, even if you only take season 1 into account.

I think your brain is broken because the lead characters are extremely interesting and have a wonderful rapport with eachother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Snazz
Nov 15, 2003

Stood in line to meet Peter Weller today. My fiancee brought a white tulip for him to sign, and it had a big impact on him. I had read about his wife recommending that he take the role, but he offered up more to the story. Apparently they had an extremely similar fight on their way to register, with him leaving the car, etc, so the script really hit home for both of them.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
You just made me really, really happy

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Snazz posted:

Stood in line to meet Peter Weller today. My fiancee brought a white tulip for him to sign, and it had a big impact on him. I had read about his wife recommending that he take the role, but he offered up more to the story. Apparently they had an extremely similar fight on their way to register, with him leaving the car, etc, so the script really hit home for both of them.

This is truly fantastic and I am going to print this and put it in September's Notebook and will look forward to every time some unsuspecting person opens the book and it falls out and I have to tell them all about why it's there.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Mr. Snazz posted:

That's a nice loving tulip.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Man, as good as this show is, the product placement is hilariously blatant.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
What are you talking about?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh nonsense. You'll feel better after I pull up an episode of Zoom on this Sony-branded tablet computer. We can ask my car's GPS where the nearest retailer is.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If I took a shot every time I saw a MS Surface in a show nowadays I'd be drunk pretty drat often.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I think the most egregious was when some random guy paid for a coffee using his phone, and the camera lingered for a good three seconds on the logo. At least other times they're using a Ford Taurus to drive somewhere.

As I'm burning through the show, I have to say I enjoy their willingness to just say "gently caress it" and do stuff like the Blade Runner crawl at the start of Letters of Transit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FlamingLiberal posted:

Alcatraz, that other Abrams series with a similar feel as Fringe, made the mistake of not fleshing out their over-arching story, and was pretty dull. By the time they gave us a hint as to what was going on, the show was done.

I think the problem was they assumed that if they kept stringing us along and barely revealing any of the plot that people would keep watching. They ended up making a boring filler show that never got to the point until the last episode of the season and by then, they were canceled. There should be a law requiring every show that could potentially get killed in the first season (any Fox Sci-fi show) to do a complete story with a beginning and end in the first season and if they get a second, start a new story or continue the old one. There are too many ex Fox shows that could have been really interesting if they had ever gotten to the point.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

seravid posted:

What are you talking about?

The Nissan Leaf they drove around in during season 4 was worse. At least a Taurus SHO feels like a cop car.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
The Ford Olivia drove kept her safe! And those wacky Sprint phones!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I kinda wish they had thrown in some blatant in-show advertising of fake mirror universe brands.

"Hold on, I'll just use my Commodore Amigaphone 256's Maps App to track down the location. It has a regularly updated list of Fringe Event areas and it's GLONASS Sat Nav tracking is best in class so you know it'll be reliable!"

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 25, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SwissCM posted:

I kinda wish they had thrown in some blatant in-show advertising of fake mirror universe brands.

They sort of did

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Guys you're all forgetting the totally egregious and blatant advertising for Red Vines.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DirtyRobot posted:

Guys you're all forgetting the totally egregious and blatant advertising for Red Vines.

And for the Dairy Industry.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

thexerox123 posted:

And for the Dairy Industry.

And Coffee.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I don't see the Mantis in there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Cows

http://gizmodo.com/the-lost-cow-tunnels-of-new-york-city-1455215193

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Avoided watching Fringe for quite a long time for no particular reason. I seem to remember it came out in the midst of a spate similarish shows and I just kind of a lumped it in with them and forgot about it. Had a bit of a lull in work recently, decided to fill up some time by watching a couple of episodes and went straight through the first four seasons in the past couple of weeks. Really enjoyed it and regret not paying attention sooner. The cast do a great job and John Noble is stellar. I didn't warm to Anna Torv at first but she'd won me over by end of the first season and sealed a place in my heart forever with the Leonard Nimoy impression. It was gloriously stupid and she looked like she was just having fun with it.

The only problem I've had with it so far is this last season, I'm not digging it. I'm just under halfway through and don't know if I'll finish. The Observers seem to have turned into the bad guys from Dark City and the broken world/oppressive government setting seems like the kind of thing I remember from bad sci-fi shows from the late 90s and early 00s. So far it feels like a different show with some Fringe bits stuck on top.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some people loved the change, some didn't. After watching 4.5 seasons you're just going to give up?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just finish it, it's a shortened season and the ending is really good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Random Integer posted:

Avoided watching Fringe for quite a long time for no particular reason. I seem to remember it came out in the midst of a spate similarish shows and I just kind of a lumped it in with them and forgot about it.

This really is a crime that keeps getting committed. A lot of my favorite shows I didn't watch when they were on air because they looked stupid. Mostly because they came out after similar shows that actually were stupid. Terrible TV programming has robbed me of a lot of good TV viewing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The last two episodes were fabulous. If you're a fan of the show you really should watch them.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I'm always amused at how people (including me) start off hating Anna Torv and so quickly turn around.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I agree, season 5 is worth watching for the last two episodes alone. If you've been paying attention for the last four and a half seasons, you will be rewarded handsomely. Personally, I loved the whole final season. It was just the right batshit insanity I came to love and expect from Fringe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Exploder posted:

I agree, season 5 is worth watching for the last two episodes alone. If you've been paying attention for the last four and a half seasons, you will be rewarded handsomely. Personally, I loved the whole final season. It was just the right batshit insanity I came to love and expect from Fringe.

It all starts to go batshit when they discover Walter's secret stash.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Exploder posted:

It was perfect, what Walter did was just perfect.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Well I'll take the threads advice and definitely finish watching it then. Thinking back season 4 started off a little slow as well before taking off and hey, so long as Walters around its going to be fun.

Cojawfee posted:

This really is a crime that keeps getting committed. A lot of my favorite shows I didn't watch when they were on air because they looked stupid. Mostly because they came out after similar shows that actually were stupid. Terrible TV programming has robbed me of a lot of good TV viewing.

Yeah, Netflix has let me catch up on a few shows Id written off that way. In Fringes case I think it was the 4400 and Threshold that I lumped it in with (though wikipedia tells me they both came out a couple years before Fringe). Neither show was particularly bad, they just weren't particularly good either.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Patchwork Shaman posted:

It was perfect, what Walter did was just perfect.

And Walter's last LSD trip was beyond perfect.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, those last two episodes are great. Really once the team goes on the offensive it picks up and then the last two episodes are fantastic.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So I'm finally going through S5 and just watched The Bullet That Saved The World. It's been a while since I watched the last 4 seasons, but was that bullet actually important in a previous ep? And do they explain the events that lead up to the team freezing themselves in Amber? Feels like I missed a chunk of the story somewhere.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So I'm finally going through S5 and just watched The Bullet That Saved The World. It's been a while since I watched the last 4 seasons, but was that bullet actually important in a previous ep? And do they explain the events that lead up to the team freezing themselves in Amber? Feels like I missed a chunk of the story somewhere.

That's the bullet that Walter shot Olivia with, to shut down Bell's plan at the end of S4. They pulled it out of her head and healed her. They do explain the team ambering themselves.

copproham
Oct 27, 2010

If living things can become drawings then maybe drawings can become living things.
I really liked how they used the bullet in S5. Etta finds it and assumes it must be important, takes it and wears it, subsequently giving it even more emotional meaning than it originally had. It also helped make Olivia's death and resurrection in S4 more meaningful and less of a cheap twist.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The bullet was the one that killed Oliva in the season four finale. It saved the world because killing Olivia foiled Bell's plan.

The time between the invasion and them freezing themselves is kind of hazy, if I recall. It's explained in bits and pieces. I think the most ambiguous aspect of it is how Bell ended up in the Amber too. However, I last saw season five when it aired, so I might not be remembering correctly.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the previous two posts answering you when I posted this.

Double edit: Speaking of not remembering stuff correctly, I was convinced when season five aired that the minor variations in Peter and Olivia's recollections of the invasion meant something cool. I was a little disappointed there was nothing more to that, but I guess there wasn't time for yet another weird universe split in the last thirteen episodes. There were some other odd "hints" in the beginning of the season of something else going on that weren't picked up on too. I believe in one of the early episodes, Olivia repeats a string of numbers and gets one of them wrong which kind of conflicts with her eidetic memory. There was also Walter commenting that he didn't remember switching to grape Red Vines. I kind of thought there would be some kind of crazy sci-fi explanation for that.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 21, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Thanks for explaining the bullet, folks. I kept expecting them to say 'oh yeah, that's the slug we pulled out of your mother's noggin back when', but they never did, so I wasn't sure if it was during the unspecified time between the end of s4 and everyone ambering themselves or what.

Nichael posted:

The bullet was the one that killed Oliva in the season four finale. It saved the world because killing Olivia foiled Bell's plan.

The time between the invasion and them freezing themselves is kind of hazy, if I recall. It's explained in bits and pieces. I think the most ambiguous aspect of it is how Bell ended up in the Amber too. However, I last saw season five when it aired, so I might not be remembering correctly.

The way I'm understanding it is as follows:

-September comes to see Walter at the end of s4, telling him the Observers are getting ready to attack at some point. This is presumably when Walter makes the tapes.
-Three or so years later, the invasion begins. Etta goes missing in the confusion.
-Somehow, Olivia gets separated from the rest of the team, and activates an amber device. The others (and Belly, for some reason) activate another device and amber themselves too. Etta grows up without her parents, joins Fringe division while working for the Resisty.
-The team gets unfrozen, Bell gets his hand stolen, Walter gets his brain repaired, s5 happens.

Is that about right? I'm midway through the season (just about to start ep 7). i really feel like they had an eye on people binging it like I am, it's flowing really well. The idea of the team going on the offensive with their own Fringe events is fantastically cool. It's like seeing a monster-of-the-week episode from the other side.

Also, random question, but do we see the reason for the forest dwarves tree people's condition? Seems kinda suspicious that the very material needed for Walter's device would be 'guarded' by a virulent contagion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't remember them ever explaining why Bell was suddenly there in amber.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't remember them ever explaining why Bell was suddenly there in amber.

Bell agreed to help them, but he betrayed them and that's why they had to Amber themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh that's right. Although isn't this in the same continuity as when he tried to erase the universe?

• Locked thread