Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Hahahahahaha.

Anything internet/cellular in the US is likely to be a million miles from brilliant outside of a few of the better developed locales.

Pretty loving brutal in Canada too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Z1 has double the pixel density of the Z30, you honestly don't see an advantage to that?

I honestly don't. I have both phones on my desk, and I wouldn't be able to pick one on screen quality or touch responsiveness. For me Samsung S4 has slight edge over Z1, so it may be matter of screen technology preference, or maybe sony screen protector fucks image quality immensely (both have protectors). I also have no high quality video file to test screens outside menu. One thing I've noticed is that speaker in Z30 is louder and gives better quality sound compared to Sony. As I use it I begin to enjoy small touches like swiping screen to unlock or calculator that has unit converter built-in.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 21, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

10.2.1 out today, Android APKs install and work on my Z10, but they run like absolute rear end. Android framework is prone to crashing too which brings down all active Android apps.

Had to install the API 15 version of Google Maps too, API 18 didn't even launch.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 29, 2014

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I got a Blackberry PlayBook for free and after wiping all the previous data, I did the setup and now it's having trouble connecting to the update server. I googled it and it seems like it's a recent problem. Does anyone know about it or when it might be fixed?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Shnooks posted:

I got a Blackberry PlayBook for free and after wiping all the previous data, I did the setup and now it's having trouble connecting to the update server. I googled it and it seems like it's a recent problem. Does anyone know about it or when it might be fixed?

News to me but I'll keep an eye on it. Check CrackBerry, too, they'll likely give hour-by-hour updates.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Shnooks posted:

I can't imagine there are that many BB10 users trying to get 10.2.1 but their servers could be getting hammered by requests for it.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

News to me but I'll keep an eye on it. Check CrackBerry, too, they'll likely give hour-by-hour updates.

I didn't think to check Crackberry, but there was a thread discussing it on the forums.

Came home tonight and the server seems to work again. Weird.

Syd Syko
Nov 15, 2012

Out there ----> Somewhere
So, I dropped my BB Storm II getting out of my car (broke the clip on the armor case) the other day at work (out of the hundreds of other times I've dropped the drat thing) and managed to crack the glass on it (this time), while it the phone still works (and still tethers as a modem to my PC/laptop just fine) the touch screen is totally hosed, any places around to get the screen replaced?

Locally I haven't found any place that can do it, let alone even one that will fix a BB, and Verizon was definitely no help as they just suggested buying another one, but the last I looked on E-Bay the drat things were still going for over a hundred bucks.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

At this point your best bet is to find either a Bold 9930 ($100) or a Z10 ($160) and be done with it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I agree, getting the part fixed (replaced) at Tony's Cell Hut will probably cost around 100, so you might as well just get an updated phone.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Syd Syko posted:

So, I dropped my BB Storm II getting out of my car (broke the clip on the armor case) the other day at work (out of the hundreds of other times I've dropped the drat thing) and managed to crack the glass on it (this time), while it the phone still works (and still tethers as a modem to my PC/laptop just fine) the touch screen is totally hosed, any places around to get the screen replaced?

Locally I haven't found any place that can do it, let alone even one that will fix a BB, and Verizon was definitely no help as they just suggested buying another one, but the last I looked on E-Bay the drat things were still going for over a hundred bucks.

Might I suggest you take this as a sign that you shouldn't still be using a four year-old sequel to one of the worst phones ever made?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Got a free Z30 to replace my Z10 because someone left the company. It's quite a bit better in pretty much every way.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Well if anyone is super interested in buying a blackberry you can use the coupon code SAVE100BB148 in the shop blackberry store to get 100 bucks off so the Z10 drops to $200.00, Q5 to $250.00 and the Q10 to $300.

Is it worth it? Probably not but in the grand scheme of things 200 isn't that much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So I attempted to upgrade BES from 10.1.2 to 10.2.2 today and it ended up failing after 8 hours of the installers making an unmitigated shitshow of everything.

To get your installer/upgrade to even remotely work, the following must happen:
  • call support to figure out what the BES 10 upgrade path is. As in, you can't go 10.1.* to 10.2.1+, you have to go to 10.2.0 first. This doubles the amount of time this takes. This is not documented anywhere. Especially not in the prereqs, install guide, or download page.
  • if you have ever upgraded Java on your BES server (if you don't you should reconsider your stance on security), you have to re-install static installs of the JRE that your version of BES originally shipped with, because the installers point to a static path of specific versions. This is not documented anywhere.
  • if you have replaced self-signed certs in your as/ncc.web.keystore (if you haven't you should reconsider your stance on security), you have to use the genWebKey.bat utility along with the encryption key pulled manually from the DB to reset your keystore. This is not documented anywhere.
  • allow 2+ hours per installer to allow updates of the SQL tables. 95% of this 2+ hour time is spent doing absolutely nothing but repeatedly updating the installer progress bar at its current position. This is not documented anywhere.
  • if you have an HA pair, sacrifice a goat and pray to satan because there is no way in hell you're emerging from this unscathed. Make sure you stop all services on both nodes because sometimes your nodes decide to play a game and change roles on you, completely loving up your cluster.

After all this, you will still get completely a unknown "Failed validation, Result: 10" error that 3 tiers of support cannot figure out, and you will have to restore to your snapshots you better have loving taken before starting, thus wasting your entire day.

Sorry for the rant but Blackberry can rot in hell. Too bad, because the Z30 is a nice piece of hardware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Interesting.

Amazon is licensing their app store to Blackberry.

http://www.androidcentral.com/amazon-licensing-android-appstore-blackberry

That helps the app problem quite a bit AND they won't have to lean on google services, I'm just wondering what Amazon gets out of it in the long run and that pretty much puts a nail in the coffin for development of native BB apps.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Blackberry gave up their audio/video content from Blackberry World as the sacrificial lamb. The "official" path if you want media on your BB10 device will be to now use the Amazon services. It's a fair trade for the US but I'm not sure if that's the case in all countries where maybe Blackberry World had better distribution deals than Amazon. I highly doubt it, but it could be the case somewhere.

I don't think this will change the native development all that much (even though my own app sales are in the single digits*) when really it can't fall that much further. Having tried both Android and Blackberry development I much prefer Blackberry's IDE and QML/C++ mashup, but I just use it for fun, not a living.

*I've reached market saturation, presumably

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't count on amazon delivering video content for blackberry. Currently, they only deliver it to their own Fire devices and iOS.

This really just seems to be about apps and apps only.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Jonny Quest posted:

I don't think this will change the native development all that much (even though my own app sales are in the single digits*) when really it can't fall that much further. Having tried both Android and Blackberry development I much prefer Blackberry's IDE and QML/C++ mashup, but I just use it for fun, not a living.

*I've reached market saturation, presumably

What are your apps, and do they run on OS7.1?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android runtime apps run like such utter buggy crashy dogshit on BB10 that this news is basically useless.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Interesting.

Amazon is licensing their app store to Blackberry.

http://www.androidcentral.com/amazon-licensing-android-appstore-blackberry

That helps the app problem quite a bit AND they won't have to lean on google services, I'm just wondering what Amazon gets out of it in the long run and that pretty much puts a nail in the coffin for development of native BB apps.

So the 100 people who bought BB10 devices have access to more apps.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is the most hilariously stupid design I've ever seen.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Wait that isn't a real thing is it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

It's real. Called the "BlackBerry Passport".

:negative:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

big mean giraffe posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495621&pagenumber=167#post431236493

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
It is remarkable how much that phone looks like what I'd think a crappy knockoff of a Blackberry would look like

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Instead of removing the keyboard or keeping it a usable size, they went the middle ground, of still wasting space on a keyboard that is now too small to easily use!

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm actually excited to use it as the entire thing is touch sensitive. In theory you can swipe the spacebar like the old trackpads in addition to swiping the keys to do other functions (shift, symbols, delete, choose auto-completed words, etc).

Then again I drank the KoolAid long ago.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How on earth can you be excited about something that looks like it was designed by a retarded grandma who has never seen a smartphone before?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jonny Quest posted:

I'm actually excited to use it as the entire thing is touch sensitive. In theory you can swipe the spacebar like the old trackpads in addition to swiping the keys to do other functions (shift, symbols, delete, choose auto-completed words, etc).

Then again I drank the KoolAid long ago.

How do I type punctuation or numbers on that keyboard? Do I have to remember that "swipe from A to F" is comma, and "swipe from F to A" is period?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Double space bar automatically puts in a period for most normal sentence typing. I'm assuming that for numbers maybe you swipe up with one finger on the whole keyboard and an onscreen soft-keyboard will appear. Swiping up with two fingers may bring up symbols--who knows? It's novel (not necessarily the same as useful), so I'm willing to give it a shot.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Jonny Quest posted:

Double space bar automatically puts in a period for most normal sentence typing. I'm assuming that for numbers maybe you swipe up with one finger on the whole keyboard and an onscreen soft-keyboard will appear. Swiping up with two fingers may bring up symbols--who knows? It's novel (not necessarily the same as useful), so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Everybody in-thread already knows I'm a hopeless BB romantic, so I'm with you, man. I'm really interested in trying it out!

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Is the Q10/Z10 still worth buying? I have a choice of either an Iphone or a Blackberry, but I have to pay the phone out of pocket (plan is covered).

Not really using any apps except the Awful and reddit (I know), yelp, Facebook, and Maps. No real gaming or anything.

At the $150/$175 I'd have to drop down to an iPhone 4/4S, which doesn't seem like a great idea.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
A 4S is miles ahead of a Z10.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zarfol posted:

Is the Q10/Z10 still worth buying? I have a choice of either an Iphone or a Blackberry, but I have to pay the phone out of pocket (plan is covered).

Not really using any apps except the Awful and reddit (I know), yelp, Facebook, and Maps. No real gaming or anything.

At the $150/$175 I'd have to drop down to an iPhone 4/4S, which doesn't seem like a great idea.

Z10 is a pile of poo poo and not worth it. Go with the 4S. If you absolutely need a Blackberry 10 device (and I question, loving why), get a Z30.

Q10 has the physical keyboard going for it, but the small screen turns any app experience into poo poo, especially android apps.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Z10 is a pile of poo poo and not worth it. Go with the 4S. If you absolutely need a Blackberry 10 device (and I question, loving why), get a Z30.

Q10 has the physical keyboard going for it, but the small screen turns any app experience into poo poo, especially android apps.

Wow didn't realize BB10 devices are that lovely. I might just spend the extra $$ to get a regular iPhone 5 (almost bought a z10 off craigslist yesterday from a dude who was unloading it for $99)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Huge apologist here, but the Z10 is actaully a really nice machine... unless you need to use third party apps. So yeah, you'll want a Galaxy Ssomething instead.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Huge apologist here, but the Z10 is actaully a really nice machine... unless you need to use third party apps. So yeah, you'll want a Galaxy Ssomething instead.

I think the problem is that he can't use an Android device, it sounds like corporate IT allows iPhones or Blackberries. The Moto E is an excellent android device at $129 new and unsubsidized, and the Moto G at $199 unsubsidized, but aren't options for him.

Don't get an iPhone 4, they are about to be obsolete in 3 months when iOS 8 comes out. A 4S would be a decent option, and a used 5 sold in anticipation of the 6 coming an even better choice.

Edit: How much does a Z10 cost you? I'm seeing them for $599 unsubsidized, just like an iPhone 5S.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 1, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

It's not. I had one for 6 months and it was loving brutal. The Z30 that I have now is the only marginally acceptable and competitive BB10 device, I'm lucky that i managed to grab someone's who quit. The Z10 is a total piece of poo poo, I'd use an iPhone 3GS over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I think the problem is that he can't use an Android device, it sounds like corporate IT allows iPhones or Blackberries. The Moto E is an excellent android device at $129 new and unsubsidized, and the Moto G at $199 unsubsidized, but aren't options for him.

Don't get an iPhone 4, they are about to be obsolete in 3 months when iOS 8 comes out. A 4S would be a decent option, and a used 5 sold in anticipation of the 6 coming an even better choice.

Edit: How much does a Z10 cost you? I'm seeing them for $599 unsubsidized, just like an iPhone 5S.

Z10's are going on Amazon for $199 and Q10's for $249 (for unlocked GSM variants)

Since I have to pay out of pocket, I would have just bought one off Swappa or craigslist. I was really looking at BB over the iPhone since I don't run anything that requires a high end phone (texting, alarm to wake up in the morning, email, music/podcast/iheartradio, and the Awful app).

• Locked thread