Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

empty sea posted:

Yesterday a woman came into the vet clinic where I work and asked about a microchip for her cat. Alison talked to her and the woman left, only to return minutes later and ask if Al could scan her hands for microchips. She believed some raised bumps on her hands were from her roommates putting microchips in her while she was asleep.

You bet we scanned her. Crazy requests like that only come around once, maybe twice in a lifetime. No chip, sadly. I would've poo poo myself if there'd been a loving chip in her hand.

I've had scanners that use the same noise for "chip found" as they do for "you pressed a button".
So it's pretty easy to make people think they're chipped. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I like turtles posted:

I've had scanners that use the same noise for "chip found" as they do for "you pressed a button".
So it's pretty easy to make people think they're chipped. :allears:

It's not very nice to take advantage of the mentally ill for the sake of a cheap laugh.

(Messing with conspiracy theorists is pretty funny, though)

brokowski
May 13, 2013
Got fired for reeking of weed for the fifth time in an industry where that should get you get blacklisted and maybe even have legal action taken against you; my boss said he'd give me an excellent reference and i got a job four days later from one of his old business partners... the world can be a strange and beautiful place sometimes.

Hopefully no one involved in this is a goon but if you are, I am fully committed to doing the best job possible, i was just trimming on the side to pay medical bills.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not very nice to take advantage of the mentally ill for the sake of a cheap laugh.

(Messing with conspiracy theorists is pretty funny, though)

Yeah, we joked about making the scanner beep, but I'd hate to provoke her into cutting her hands open or something horrible like that.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

PromethiumX posted:

Sounds like a dugout for weed to me. Probably be a glass rose if it were crack.

Could still be crack, corner stores will sell both copper Brillo pads and tiny satin roses in glass tubes for that purpose.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Lolitas Alright! posted:

tiny satin roses in glass tubes

Those are for drugs? I've always wondered who would gift those to someone.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

fork bomb posted:

Those are for drugs? I've always wondered who would gift those to someone.

Yep, you shove bits of Brillo pad in there to heat up and hold the crack rock. They end up burning the poo poo out of your lips when you use them, because the glass conducts heat REALLY well and it's a very short glass tube.

Basically if you see blunt wraps, Brillo pads, roses in glass tubes, tin foil, and plastic party straws all towards the front of the store or at the front counter, you're in a poo poo area and they know their customers.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Someone reads his cracked.com

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Hilariously a lot of the store owners actually have no idea that stuff is drug related. It seems obvious to most people with any modicum of street smarts but it really isn't. The guys who drive the trucks and stock the store will sell you all that poo poo and tell you to leave it up front. They know what its used for and they don't care. By the time store owners find out its usually profitable enough they'll keep stocking it, maybe double the price.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Yesterday I was driving up the highway to Milwaukee, 8:30ish AM. 4 lanes, everyone speeding and going around 65ish. I was in the 3rd lane, right next to the fastest lane. Car ahead of me (blue), car behind me, car in the left lane about a car length further ahead than any in my lane.

Dude comes tearing up the fast lane (red), then moves to merge over into my lane. In the space where the car ahead of me is. Blue swerves to avoid dying, flying over into the far right lane, over corrects back to the fast lane, barely missing the median, then over corrects AGAIN back to the right.

Blue hits the brakes this time when over correcting and spins completely around and comes to a stop directly in front of me, straight on facing me, about 5 inches from my bumper. I am stopped. The person behind me is stopped. Everything is stopped. Blue (who I now know is a woman because we stared at each other for about 30 seconds) then backs up and turns around. Again, middle of a 4 lane highway in a semi-large city.

It was the single most terrifying experience of my life in retrospect. At the time, I was just watching it all in slow motion. My brain apparently short circuited my mind and took control of steering and braking so I stayed in my lane and got to a stop so we didn't all die.

If anything had gone differently, you may have heard a news item about a 5 car pile up on I 94 in Wisconsin.

Edit: After looking at the initial post not sure if this strictly counts, but I certainly went WHAT THE gently caress for about 10 minutes afterwards.

KitConstantine has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Feb 17, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The first time I drove my first van in the rain, I made a turn onto a highway and just did a full 180 and watched a school bus bear straight down on me.

Got new tires the next day.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Yesterday I was driving up the highway to Milwaukee, 8:30ish AM. 4 lanes, everyone speeding and going around 65ish. I was in the 3rd lane, right next to the fastest lane. Car ahead of me (blue), car behind me, car in the left lane about a car length further ahead than any in my lane.

Dude comes tearing up the fast lane (red), then moves to merge over into my lane. In the space where the car ahead of me is. Blue swerves to avoid dying, flying over into the far right lane, over corrects back to the fast lane, barely missing the median, then over corrects AGAIN back to the right.

Blue hits the brakes this time when over correcting and spins completely around and comes to a stop directly in front of me, straight on facing me, about 5 inches from my bumper. I am stopped. The person behind me is stopped. Everything is stopped. Blue (who I now know is a woman because we stared at each other for about 30 seconds) then backs up and turns around. Again, middle of a 4 lane highway in a semi-large city.

It was the single most terrifying experience of my life in retrospect. At the time, I was just watching it all in slow motion. My brain apparently short circuited my mind and took control of steering and braking so I stayed in my lane and got to a stop so we didn't all die.

If anything had gone differently, you may have heard a news item about a 5 car pile up on I 94 in Wisconsin.

Edit: After looking at the initial post not sure if this strictly counts, but I certainly went WHAT THE gently caress for about 10 minutes afterwards.

I had pretty much the same experience, a miata nearly merged from an onramp into a RAV-4 in the far right lane, who swerved, spun around and ended up on two wheels before coming to a halt directly in front of me in the far left lane, driver's eyes were like dinner plates. Highway patrol rolled up within about 60 seconds.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The other week I was merging onto the interstate, and the driver behind me:

1. Sped up and passed me on the right on the on-ramp,
2. Continued accelerating as she merged onto the interstate, and across traffic into the left lane, as though she didn't even notice she had left the ramp,
3. Hitting the truck in the left lane in such a way that she basically executed a Pitt maneuver on herself and spun across traffic to end up on the right shoulder.

Nobody was hurt, but it was the first time I ever had an accident happen right in front of me, and maybe the single most bafflingly stupid thing I have seen a driver do. It might just be college towns in general, but Columbia, MO, has the worst loving drivers I have ever seen, and I say this as a former Floridian.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread, this also happened in Columbia:

Rollersnake posted:

On my way home from class the other night, the car in front of me did this. Thank gently caress there wasn't any traffic.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Feb 17, 2014

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I hate pine forests. They're always deathly quiet and creepy. When I was around 8 or 9, I liked to go out into the woods and look for fossilized corals. The problem was that to get to the streambed where I would find them, I had to walk down a fairly steep hill covered in pine trees. It was easy to lose footing because of the needles, and there weren't any branches to hold onto walking down the hill.

One day, I was heading back home and climbing back up the hill when I felt a hand close around my shoulder and throw me to the ground. I get up and look around, no one in sight (not that there'd be anyone out there, it was a quarter mile from my house and nearly a mile to the next nearest road or house). I looked around for a branch, but there's not one that could have caught my jacket, either. I kind of freaked out and didn't go into the woods by myself for a few years.

--

A couple years ago I was using the computer when I feel my arm itching. I scratch at it, and the itching stops for a second. This happened a couple of times before I decide to just slap it. When I do, I hear a slight crunch and feel something there. I shake out my sleeve and out falls this GIANT loving HORNET. I mean it must have been 5-6 inches long. I had no idea where it came from or how it managed to crawl to my shoulder without feeling it.

I was considering giving it a stay of execution because it was nice enough not to bite or sting when I slapped it, but stomped it anyway because I didn't want a hornet nest near the house.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So it snowed (again) here in the Chicago area and while we like to pride ourselves as being able to drive competently in the snow, some people will still tempt fate.

Like this lady who couldn't make it over the tracks, got stuck, and couldn't back away from the oncoming train in time. Was apparently unhurt, according to the comments. The Chicago Tribune has a blurb about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlKGGT03s0

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah, driving last night in the Chicago area was insane. I saw some idiot driving in the oncoming traffic lane with his hazard lights on at the base of a huge blind hill (WHAT THE CHRIST), he almost got wrecked by a snowplow. Luckily the guy got pulled over shortly thereafter (his back window was completely covered with snow, the cop had to ditch his car, run up and bang on the guy's window at a stop light) but holy poo poo this guy was driving like he was the only person on the road.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fork bomb posted:

I think I helped a dude smoke crack today.

I was standing on the sidewalk outside my apartment smoking a cigarette. Some guy approaches and asks if I have a light. I hand him my lighter and he turns away, lifting his cupped hand up to his face like he's shielding from the wind. However, when he brought his hand up I saw he was holding a glass tube that was blackened at the tip.

I only heard him flick the lighter once but he was facing away for longer than it takes to light a smoke. He turned back around and returned my lighter then just stood there kinda mumbling. I walked away.

This happened in San Francisco.
You definitely helped someone smoke crack.

[Edit] If you intend to stay in San Francisco, the WTC factor of blatant public crack smoking is gonna go way down for you.

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Feb 18, 2014

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Thwomp posted:

Like this lady who couldn't make it over the tracks, got stuck, and couldn't back away from the oncoming train in time. Was apparently unhurt, according to the comments.

This was my father's nightmare. We grew up in Clarendon Hills, just south of this area. It also had a set of triple train tracks running through town. My father lived in fear that the car would stall on the tracks and our entire family would be wiped out by several hundred tons of Burlington Northern pig iron.

Anyway, one particularly brutal late 70's winter, he bought a Chevy Impala wagon. And it would not run in the cold until it had been warmed up for at least half an hour. But we were running late to a dinner reservation, and that restaurant was on the other side of the tracks. So he guns it as we start to cross, and the car just stops dead in its tracks. On the tracks. And then the bells and lights go off, and the gates come down. The car won't start, and we are trapped.

Fortunately, all of us kids are well drilled in what to do. For our entire lives, our father has told us that if the car ever stops on the tracks, just calmly get out and walk away. We all exit the car and walk to safety. But in my little kid mind I was now ready for the good part. Any momment a freight train was going to come by and blast our car into a billion pieces! This was going to be the best day ever! Too bad the police station was right there. They already radioed ahead to the railroad that there was a train on the tracks, and a cruiser came and pushed the car off before the train rolled through at a much lower speed than normal.

But we never made fun of my dad and his nightmare scenario again. His paranoia may have saved us. That lady is lucky to be alive. She had ample time to just walk away and leave the car, but she just lost situational awareness and let death come to her.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

When I was young, I remember Operation Lifesaver, it was a 'safety around trains' thing aimed at kids. Don't put stuff on the tracks, don't go around crossing gates when they're down EVER, that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure there was a 'if the car gets stuck on the tracks, just get out and get away, because you don't know when a train is gonna come barreling through and not have time to stop.'

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!
I remember being taught different Operation Lifesaver materials in different grades--my town is situated next to a huge train yard, meaning that train crossings are very common around here--but I do not recall a single thing about safely vacating cars if you happen to be stalled-out on tracks. To be honest, I would have probably found that more useful than any information about not playing near train tracks, but then again, I guess I wasn't the sort of kid that they were aiming this stuff towards. Then again, this was more than fifteen or twenty years ago, so maybe we did cover that and I forgot.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

This is my first time posting a picture from the app, I hope it worked. My latest WTC is Disney dog food branded after "Old Yeller."

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Kitten Head Ridge posted:

I remember being taught different Operation Lifesaver materials in different grades--my town is situated next to a huge train yard, meaning that train crossings are very common around here--but I do not recall a single thing about safely vacating cars if you happen to be stalled-out on tracks. To be honest, I would have probably found that more useful than any information about not playing near train tracks, but then again, I guess I wasn't the sort of kid that they were aiming this stuff towards. Then again, this was more than fifteen or twenty years ago, so maybe we did cover that and I forgot.

My dad's a bit of a train enthusiast, so I grew up around them. Some days I have to remind myself that there are lots of people out there who have never ridden on a steam train, or even any train that's not a subway.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

samizdat posted:

This is my first time posting a picture from the app, I hope it worked. My latest WTC is Disney dog food branded after "Old Yeller."

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Nobody's putting a gun to your head.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
The marketing genius who thought that up should probably be taken out and shot.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Nobody's putting a gun to your head.

Unlike poor Old Yeller.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Unlike poor Old Yeller.
:thejoke:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Early this morning, I woke up to something briefly crawling along my arm. "No big; we'll get along fine as long as it stays off my face," I think, and go back to sleep. I wake up proper several hours later and go to the bathroom, where I notice something stuck in my hair. Thinking it's probably a clump of cat hair, I bring it closer to my face. Ground into several strands of hair, is a slightly pressed, not-quite-dried, ex-spider. The only way I could tell it was a spider was the body with several eyes, as it had significantly less legs than it should have. I'm sorry, spiderbro. :( At least you didn't walk over my face.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are you sure it was a dead spider and not a shed exoskeleton? It'd be way creepier if a spider chose your hair as a great place to go

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

kinmik posted:

Early this morning, I woke up to something briefly crawling along my arm. "No big; we'll get along fine as long as it stays off my face," I think, and go back to sleep. I wake up proper several hours later and go to the bathroom, where I notice something stuck in my hair. Thinking it's probably a clump of cat hair, I bring it closer to my face. Ground into several strands of hair, is a slightly pressed, not-quite-dried, ex-spider. The only way I could tell it was a spider was the body with several eyes, as it had significantly less legs than it should have. I'm sorry, spiderbro. :( At least you didn't walk over my face.

You're cool with something crawling on your arm during your sleep?

That's my :wtc: moment

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Phy posted:

Are you sure it was a dead spider and not a shed exoskeleton? It'd be way creepier if a spider chose your hair as a great place to go
When insects and arachnids shed, don't they leave clear bubbles where their eyes were? No, the eyes were black and filled with imploring betrayal. Also, are exoskeletons usually so...moist? There was dried stuff where I assume I squished the poor thing's insides out.

BoyBlunder posted:

You're cool with something crawling on your arm during your sleep?

That's my :wtc: moment
Growing up, there was usually something or other crawling through the sheets. I was also really groggy this morning.

kinmik has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Feb 25, 2014

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

kinmik posted:

Growing up, there was usually something or other crawling through the sheets. I was also really groggy this morning.

The gently caress? That's gross, man.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

You've never gone camping outside, have you? :cheeky:

kinmik has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Feb 25, 2014

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

kinmik posted:

You've never gone camping outside, have you? :cheeky:

I used to camp a whole lot. Once, I was exhausted and just threw my groundcloth down, laid my sleeping bag on top of it and passed out. This was in the area of Panama City, FL. Woke up to a really bad stinging sensation on my midsection. Could feel something, some kind of bug, but chased it off, shook out my sleeping bag, went back to sleep.

The next day I was going to show a buddy a newspaper article I had been carrying in my backpack, opened it -- there was a small brown scorpion, pincers and tail at the ready, right in the center of the page I had unfolded it to. We captured him and nobody got stung, but I've always wondered if it wasn't in fact a scorpion that stung me the evening before, as well. Not used to seeing scorpions in Florida.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I'm currently single dad-ing it and have missed a lot of work lately due to children being sick. Enough that my office mate has been ribbing me about it.

Yesterday she sent an email to our team with a schedule of training events over the next month, I replied to all telling her that I wouldn't be able to make any of them - my kid has an appointment on each day at that time. She read it and we had a good laugh.

Our boss then replies "I don't have any of these on my calendar?! Please come see me ASAP so we can schedule coverage!"

sporktastic
Jan 30, 2005
100%originalsin
I started working at a law firm recently and was taking some documents to the courthouse with another co-worker. We drop the documents off with the judge and are taking the elevator down. There are two other women in the elevator, and one is talking to the other...
She's talking about how she turned something off because she didn't know what it was. "I didn't know what it was for, I've worked there for months and never heard it make a sound!"
OK, so I figure she's talking about some sort of office equipment she turned off that she shouldn't have, whatever.
No...she turned off the OXYGEN MACHINE for a BRAIN DEAD person. :psyduck: I'm guessing that didn't end too well. Probably why she was at court. Just...what the christ??

And yes, I am aware that this is an urban legend, but I swear I actually overheard this conversation.

When we got off the elevator, I turned to my coworker and was like "did...did that woman just admit to accidentally killing a brain dead patient??" :psyduck:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This post right here, in the Health Care Stories thread.

:nms: and heartbreaking like you wouldn't believe.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

This post right here, in the Health Care Stories thread.

:nms: and heartbreaking like you wouldn't believe.

Sweet loving Jesus, that's probably my :wtc: moment of the week. The saddest part is I imagine that it probably happens on a pretty regular occurrence (maybe not to that extent, but still).

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
At work, today and I'm doing a delivery of a small freezer to an apartment building.
We arrive at the building, call the person on the delivery slip and wait a spell for him to show up.

This obese older looking (50's or so?) guy in filthy sleep pants and t-shirt ambles on over to the door with his walker and let's us in.
Through his wheezy-whistley voice, he conveys where his apartment is (just down the hall on the ground level floor) and instructs us to go on ahead of him and go on in - the door is unlocked. So fine, we go on past him and wait 'till he gets there.

A minute or so later he catches up and swings the door open and god drat.

I've seen hoarders several times, I've braved the goon lairs thread in bemused shock. But when you meet it head on, in real life. It's.. different. visceral. I immediatley wanted to get away - quickly.

I'm assuming the small freezer was purchased due to the fact his fridge was.. somewhere behind piles of garbage and he must have given up on getting to / seeing it, again.

Garbage was everywhere. Just just clutter, not just boxes and junk and knickknacks. Flat out garbage. Food containers, Cans, Bottles, everything.

There was one very clear path leading from the main entryway and up to a table that had his computer on it (unsurprisingly) what DID shock me was the computer table was right in front of his giant-rear end window. Which incidentally had no curtains, blinds or anything.

So this guy is living in utter filth on the ground floor, with a gigantic window showcasing his living conditions for anyone who cares to walk by said gigantic (we're talking 4 foot high and maybe 8 or so foot across?!) window. (and there was a pathway maybe 8-10 feet away from said window, outside)

I'm still running just how the gently caress any of this is possible through my head. (short of him being the landlord, himself)

FIX SIGNS has a new favorite as of 03:43 on May 2, 2014

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

The other day I was in Dunkin Donuts and a woman came in, she was wearing a metal army helmet and stood in the middle of the store informing us about the government was attacking her with magnetic waves and following her with drones. I always thought people like this were trolls or just flat out didn't exist in real life. I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

anotherblownsave posted:

The other day I was in Dunkin Donuts and a woman came in, she was wearing a metal army helmet and stood in the middle of the store informing us about the government was attacking her with magnetic waves and following her with drones. I always thought people like this were trolls or just flat out didn't exist in real life. I was wrong.

How do you know she wasn't trolling, practical joking, dared to, etc?

• Locked thread