Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Sucks that all this cool poo poo is squirreled away in some random side book.

It's the hired gun career supplement, not really a 'random side book'. And where else would they put it? I'd love some free online content as much as the next guy, but they really can't put out a lot of online stuff, due to the crazy rights issues with "digital games".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I do wish they would release softcover or spiral bound books with less fluff and just gameplay poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe when all the career supplements are out they could put out a compendium of just the 18 new specializations...I'd probably buy that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Sucks that all this cool poo poo is squirreled away in some random side book.

On the plus side, they are putting stuff in the supplements that's worthwhile.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

Maybe when all the career supplements are out they could put out a compendium of just the 18 new specializations...I'd probably buy that.

This is what I mean. Make a core companion book that has everything in it instead of 10 random books with scraps of material in each of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

This is what I mean. Make a core companion book that has everything in it instead of 10 random books with scraps of material in each of them.

Well, at least they haven't gotten to the "scraps" level yet. Unlike some other publishers I could name, all the EotE books so far have felt crammed full of useful stuff. The explorer book was handy to me as a GM, and my IRL group loved having more ship and gear options.

I'd rather have 10 content filled tomes over a 60 page PDF with no cool fluff in it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I just hope we get planet and spaceship books along with these career books. Suns of Fortune was a great write supplement even if it was expensive as hell.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Elendil004 posted:

I do wish they would release softcover or spiral bound books with less fluff and just gameplay poo poo.

It's Star Wars, it's cool fluff poo poo, at least it's not Drizzt.

FFG wouldn't make money off printing 1 book a year of crunch

Funktastic Dog
Nov 8, 2011

by Ralp
I'm probably gonna switch my 40krpg group over to Edge of the Empire. I've GM'ed Edge before, so I know the score, what do you guys think would be more fun as a general experience.

Mercenaries who take out targets and act as elite henchmen (A-Team).
Treasure hunters who restore treasure from ancient ruins for profit (Indiana Jones... sorta).
Or heisters, performing elite heists on the most valuable pieces of merchandise from dangerous people and hazardous places (Oceans 11).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Heisters, because heists could end up being either or both of the other two choices at any given time.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Funktastic Dog posted:

Mercenaries who take out targets and act as elite henchmen (A-Team). Treasure hunters who restore treasure from ancient ruins for profit (Indiana Jones... sorta). Or heisters, performing elite heists on the most valuable pieces of merchandise from dangerous people and hazardous places (Oceans 11).

Is there any reason they can't be "goons for hire" that are willing do all of those things? It would allow you to mix up the encounters a bit.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Does anyone have Dangerous Covenants yet? If you do, would you mind telling me what Weequay's look like? I made a weequay character using the unofficial stats, but i probably ought to update it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Beardless posted:

Does anyone have Dangerous Covenants yet? If you do, would you mind telling me what Weequay's look like? I made a weequay character using the unofficial stats, but i probably ought to update it.

321321, rank in Athletics, 90 XP, can communicate with other Weequay by smell

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

homullus posted:

321321, rank in Athletics, 90 XP, can communicate with other Weequay by smell

Thanks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wow, that is drastically different from the unofficial guide, stat-wise.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Yes, yes it is. :suicide:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Fuzz posted:

I don't think I like them going too crazy with the stat blocks. The one three, a bunch of twos and a one statline is a little boring, but keeping the characters on a more even footing seems like it's better for actual play. Have they released an official race of murderhobos with a 441111 stat line yet?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I made a crawl for Beyond the Rim because my crew is playing it next. If you want to use it, go for it, but don't link it anywhere :colbert: I have no idea if the audio will show up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4JWahvhfzs

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Okay, so I'm definitely going to start a game, however I have several options on which plot to use, so I figured I'd just ask people in here to get a feel for what people would prefer.

Scenario A:
Aforementioned underworld politics and intrigue campaign involving a small group of mercs who get sucked into a web of schemes and plots that end up being wild. Could be set in the Old Republic, but could be Imperial era too. Has a sort of focused narrative, not as flexible as something like Swags' current game. 3-4 players.

Scenario B:
You are a team of Mandalorian Raiders/their captives who were on a raiding mission in the Outer Rim. It is the height of the Mandalorian Wars, and an internal clan civil war has just ended following the murder of the last Mandalore, Mandalore the Magnificent. Unfortunately, you backed the wrong side, and the rest of the clans want you dead. You're outlaws in the Republic, to boot. Have fun figuring out how to survive! This is a very open ended "let's make a crazy story" sort of campaign. Players can choose to play as Mandalorians or their captives or a combo of both. 4-8 players, ends whenever the hell we want, and if players want to split up groups and make a separate team, whatever, sure.

Scenario C:
Sleemo the Hutt has chosen YOU, yes YOU, to have the wonderful opportunity to leave his Slave pens/prisons/Rancor breakfast line to be forced into supervised labor! Specifically, hunting down a rogue Bounty Hunter who has greatly angered His Illustrious Sleemo. Catch him and you earn your freedom! And maybe after you can continue your employ or go freelance as hunters/whatever.
Or maybe this rogue hunter isn't so bad a guy. You decide! 4-6 players, also open ended and flexible.

Scenario D:
The filthy Rebel swine have the audacity to rebel against the glorious Empire! Moff Barenna is not amused. Hunt down these terrorists and bring them to justice. 3-5 players, actually will use AoR's Duty, except flipped around. This is the least fleshed out idea, but could be fun.

Suggestions welcome, you want to steal one I don't use, just ask and we can chat.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
@ Fuzz: I'm imagining that you intend to use the AoR beta Duty rules, but are you planning to allow anything else from AoR for character generation?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Scenario D:
The filthy Rebel swine have the audacity to rebel against the glorious Empire! Moff Barenna is not amused. Hunt down these terrorists and bring them to justice. 3-5 players, actually will use AoR's Duty, except flipped around. This is the least fleshed out idea, but could be fun.

Suggestions welcome, you want to steal one I don't use, just ask and we can chat.
Playing as the Empire always sounds cool (getting to ham it up and say backwards things about "the rebel traitors" is fun), but when it comes down to it, there's always the question of 'well, if we know where the rebels are, let's just bring the Conquest, Retribution and Intimidator, turn those ISD's sideways and flatten half of Raltiir with 120 turbolaser batteries for about half an hour, that should solve it."

Basically if you want to run an Imperials game, you'll need a drat good reason why they can't just bring the full might of the Imperial Navy down on anyone who looks at them sideways.

The two best ways to do that are as an intrigue game with the players as covert ISB agents, or set it post-RotJ with the players part of the remnants of the Empire trying to hold together after losing the Emperor, a second Death Star full of ranking officers, and with the Rebellion now in the driver's seat.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Scenario D:

You can always try this guy's idea for an Empire side campaign: http://triumphdespair.wordpress.com/category/crush-the-rebellion/

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Tharizdun posted:

Basically if you want to run an Imperials game, you'll need a drat good reason why they can't just bring the full might of the Imperial Navy down on anyone who looks at them sideways.
Two words: "Politically sensitive." After all, not every Rebel is in uniform, and not ever 'subversive' is a Rebel...

Tharizdun posted:

The two best ways to do that are as an intrigue game with the players as covert ISB agents, or set it post-RotJ with the players part of the remnants of the Empire trying to hold together after losing the Emperor, a second Death Star full of ranking officers, and with the Rebellion now in the driver's seat.
I've seen at least one proposed post-ROTJ premise where the movie characters don't make it out of the second Death Star's blast radius or Endor's forest moon and the Rebels get mauled harder in the fighting thereafter the second Death Star's destruction, the idea being to "clear the stage" for the Heroes of Yavin to pass into legend while the PCs become the new stars, and another where instead the Imperials rallied afterward enough to counter-attack while the Rebels were trying to repair and to refit captured prizes or defecting starships, thereby not only hurting the Rebels but also pre-empting the canonical "fracturing"... a decapitated Empire, but a still-unified one.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 25, 2014

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If you did an imperial campaign, you could maybe do a black ops level one, decent starting xp and the reason you can't call in bombing runs every 2 seconds is you're operating on way off the books level black poo poo.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Elendil004 posted:

If you did an imperial campaign, you could maybe do a black ops level one, decent starting xp and the reason you can't call in bombing runs every 2 seconds is you're operating on way off the books level black poo poo.
There's always the Dark Heresy Acolyte setup- you're not actually ranking Imperial officers, you're their bitches. ISB officers are busy and any use of their official powers will leave evidence rebels can track. Half a dozen unlucky scum who're in hock to the ISB, though...
Then the person in charge of calling in the star destroyers is your handler, who needs solid evidence you've discovered the whole rebel conspiracy and has no compunction with letting you die to accomplish it (because there's always more smugglers and unlicensed bounty hunters willing to work for them to get out of jail).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You can also do what the more recent MMO did with Imperial characters: the Rebels are far from your only problem as the ruling body. Black Sun, Hutts, rogue Jedi and Sith, bizarre little terrorist cells, mysterious breakdowns in key supplies caused by Things From Long Ago... many of the things that "good" characters would face are also threats to Imperial order.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It would be ISB covert ops, trying to flush out rebel sympathizers and agents. You COULD find a Rebel cell and then blast it to smithereens, Vader-style, or you could infiltrate it and stay unraveling the web and see how deep the whole conspiracy goes.

Basically it would be like a CIA anti-terrorism thriller, but way more KGB/Gestapo than HOORAH FREEDOM!

Jaynen
Jul 7, 2005
Hmm, you could meld some of the concepts from Dark Heresy which is all about this sort of hunting down heretics and finding dangerous people elements into the much more playable EoTE/AOR system set.

That would be pretty sweet in my opinion. As a side effect of the great/hilarious things about Dark Heresy anyway characters seem to often die and players make new ones which makes for interesting stories. It's a pretty interesting idea Fuzz. Your biggest issue will likely be having too many volunteers :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jaynen posted:

Hmm, you could meld some of the concepts from Dark Heresy which is all about this sort of hunting down heretics and finding dangerous people elements into the much more playable EoTE/AOR system set.

That would be pretty sweet in my opinion. As a side effect of the great/hilarious things about Dark Heresy anyway characters seem to often die and players make new ones which makes for interesting stories. It's a pretty interesting idea Fuzz. Your biggest issue will likely be having too many volunteers :)

Yeah, never played Dark Heresy. I dunno, of the four options, it's not my top choice for what to run, but the players are what will make it fun, so if people are really into it and proactive like in Swags' game, I will totally enjoy running it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Fuzz I'd throw a character into an imperial game.

Jaynen
Jul 7, 2005
I never played it either but read all the books.

I still really like Scenario B but I think D could be interesting from another angle of the universe than normal standpoint. I would love to play either but knowing you want to keep it small I know it will be hard to get picked :). Swags game is going awesome so far because of the high activity level (which I really like being an online most of the time post whore)

Just picture investigating huge planets for locations of cults/fighting demon possessed people or demons themselves etc

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I think I'd be interested in your original scenario A of the four. Star Wars as a setting lends itself to plots in a way that can be forgiving of what in other games would be slight railroading. And it'd be a whole campaign of Han Solos, which is my favorite character arc.

VVVV A classic opening to many a D&D campaign in my youth. Beats "You're all in a tavern when..."

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 25, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I forgot to mention, in Scenario A you're also prisoners, who have served their time and are being transported to their parole hearings. That's the initial setup.

... what, I was playing a lot of Morrowind and Daggerfall when I thought it up. Shutup.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If you go with A I can be the wacky and crazy pilot.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
You could also straight-up rip the plot from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and have the players be prisoners who hijack and escape with their prison ship during transport in the opening adventure.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Chortles posted:

You could also straight-up rip the plot from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and have the players be prisoners who hijack and escape with their prison ship during transport in the opening adventure.

:smugbert:

*whistles*

Looks like D and A are in the lead. I'll cook something up and have a recruitment thread up tomorrow.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Fuzz posted:

:smugbert:

*whistles*
Hey now, as I told some people on the FFG forums by PM, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is essentially "EotE in the Age of Sail"... it also offers up another possibility for how a first voyage can be made: local troops mistake a hapless merchant for a pirate, so when said troops are dispatched a grateful merchant lets the party aboard for the next leg.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
My group is in the process of making characters for EotE, a game I've never played before, and I have some questions about whether or not some things are a good idea. Specifically, it looks like it's really easy to make droid characters with a whole lot of dump stats, and I'm feeling a lot of temptation to make a droid assassin with AGI and either CUN, PER or WIL at 3, leave the rest at 1, and then blow the remaining 75 XP on skills and talents.

Obviously this will mean a BS wound threshold, but if I have enough strain threshold and I take Dodge, I can theoretically avoid taking a lot of hits. Also, if I understand the rules right, you get ability dice equal to the higher number between your applicable skill and characteristic, and proficiency dice equal to the lower of those two numbers, whichever is higher or lower. Therefore, in a way, it's "cheaper" to buy a skill up to 2 and leave its characteristic at 1 (you get 1 ability and 1 proficiency die for a total 10 XP buy (for a career skill)) than it is to buy the characteristic up to 2 and the skill up to 1 (25 XP).

It seems like there are (combat) advantages to this, because it lets you spread your points more between Cool and Vigilance for initiative purposes, it lets you use the aforementioned Dodge talent (possibly as many as 12 times with a 3 WIL), and you get to throw XP at everything that matters for Ranged attack rolls.

The obvious disadvantages are that you suck at every single skill you haven't put points into, and you have an 11 wound threshold with a 1 soak. Having looked at the weapon stats, since a lot of weapons start off doing like 9 damage, plus the attacker's margin of success on the attack roll, I have to say that I would not want this character to get hit by anything ever.

Is this sort of glass cannon reasonably survivable?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
When you say you can use Dodge 12 times, do you mean against one attack? If so, that's the problem: Dodge is a ranked talent, and you can only use it against a single attack a number of times equal to your ranks.

Some other thoughts: without a decent Brawn score you're not going to be able to carry much, and that includes any guns worth a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That's dumb. Character creation is the only time you can directly spend XP on stats, so use as much of your starting XP as mathemtically possible on bumping them.

• Locked thread