Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, Joe, I give you a lot of poo poo for your tastes in television, and in all likelihood I'm probably going to continue to give you poo poo. That tends to happen when I don't, you know, get where a person's coming from. But I want this known and on the record: It's always been clear that you're a very smart guy and your point of view is refreshing, even if I don't agree with it -- hell, even if I don't get it.

If you're a troll, you're possibly the greatest troll to ever roam the Internet. But if you're for real, that doesn't change how cool you are, if only because of how shamelessly you go against the grain, and how damned entertaining you can be about it. If I had that ability I'd be a much better person than I am.

Keep doing you!

Time and relative proximity doing their magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I won't put Bedazzled with his comedy classics but if I'm flipping channels and its on I'll stick around. It's got the same sly wit and charm of Ramis' other work.

I actually liked the remake of Bedazzled more than the original. I'm not a Peter Cooke/Dudley Moore fan.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'm calling bullshit on the "Ghostbusters is only awesome if you were a kid when it came out" because there is a LOT of poo poo I loved in the 80s that I can't stand now (Beverly Hills Cop comes to mind).

I don't think it's like, the greatest film ever, but it's definitely a top 20 comedy of all time.

Honestly, I just finished it and I didn't get the love at all. The jokes are so few and far between. And I don't mean it's unfunny, I mean that they seem to deliberately leave it about five minutes between each joke or funny line of dialogue as if the premise and concept is enough to sustain a comedy movie by itself, which I don't really think it is.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 25, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Honestly, I just finished it and I didn't get the love at all. The jokes are so few and far between. And I don't mean it's unfunny, I mean that they seem to deliberately leave it about five minutes between each joke or funny line of dialogue as if the premise and concept is enough to sustain a comedy movie by itself, which I don't really think it is.

Difference of opinion, I think; that spacing out of jokes is what I like about a lot of modern things too (some of them starring Bill Murray, even - Rushmore comes to mind).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Bown posted:

Life moved at a much slower clip back then and entertainment wasn't as easily and ubiquitously available, so movie audiences had a smaller opportunity cost and more patience to wait for the next joke. I fully agree with you.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Bown posted:

It's time for you to admit you have ADHD.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bown posted:

It's one of those 80s movies where it's not so much about the jokes but the situation and the one-liners.

"You're not going to lose the house everybody has three mortgages nowadays"

"No studying!"

There's a reason parts of the closed Ghostbusters thread in CineD would go on with just quotes for, sometimes, pages at a time. It's just chock full of classic lines.

It's also really subtle with some of the jokes like when they capture slimer and come out of the ballroom, Egon has a look on his face like "Peter, what are you talking about?!" as Peter goes into the "we are having a special this week on proton charging and storage of the beast" spiel.

Also, you've gotta appreciate the construction a movie where the climax involves the reveal of a giant malevolent marshmallow man and everyone buys it.

Alright, more TV focused: Ghostbusters also spawned off several animated series which had some seriously messed up (for children's tv) episodes.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The background gags and subtle performances (oh god I sound like an idiot don't I) are amazing, in Ghostbusters. Murray's facial expressions in the background, and as a reaction to other characters, are incredible. There are faces, gestures and sounds in that movie that are forever burned into my head, because of how perfectly it's put together. There are two horn-honks when Dana is entering her apartment that forever stick out to me, almost like they're a part of the music.

In high school, a few of my friends and I realized that between the four of us, we could recite the entire film from memory (well, most of it, I think we later discovered).

That movie is the boilerplate for an entire generation's sense of humor and expectations in film and satire. It's literally the foundation of some of our tastes. Mine, included.

edit:

ALSO, got around to watching Late Night with Seth Meyers, finally... Jesus, that was rough. I mean, I'm sure it'll get better, but goodness, everything fell flat except for Armisen's gags and some of the Poehler interview.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 25, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thwomp posted:

It's also really subtle with some of the jokes like when they capture slimer and come out of the ballroom, Egon has a look on his face like "Peter, what are you talking about?!" as Peter goes into the "we are having a special this week on proton charging and storage of the beast" spiel.

That whole scene is amazing, especially the way Egon subtly signals Peter how much he should tell them to pay.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Also, you've gotta appreciate the construction a movie where the climax involves the reveal of a giant malevolent marshmallow man and everyone buys it.

I didn't buy it, they have the monster tell them to choose the form it takes 30 seconds beforehand just so that could happen, it's not like it was inserted in there in any kind of clever way?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

I didn't buy it, they have the monster tell them to choose the form it takes 30 seconds beforehand just so that could happen, it's not like it was inserted in there in any kind of clever way?

I think he meant that the reveal doesn't come off as unbelievable in the internal mythos of the film. It's not like some "SO RANDOM!!!!!" thing, it's played deadpan.

"It's... the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man."

*crowd goes wild*

OK, so, back to TV. I'm about to watch the latest True Detective. :ohdear:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly like Men In Black more, it's the same kind of movie as Ghostbusters but the pacing is a lot better and the action, humor, and special effects are all way more consistent.

Of course Men In Black came out when I was 12 years old :haw:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Just watched the "About a Boy" pilot. It's just a mediocre rip-off of "Ben & Kate". I wish Ben & Kate wasn't cancelled.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I honestly like Men In Black more, it's the same kind of movie as Ghostbusters but the pacing is a lot better and the action, humor, and special effects are all way more consistent.

Of course Men In Black came out when I was 12 years old :haw:

The actual funniest comedy of 1984 is Amadeus.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm also not sure the "life was slower" logic makes much sense either considering Woody Allen had already made most of his classics by then and they're crammed full of great jokes. Not that I'm suggesting Ghostbusters needed to be rapid-fire slapstick but there was still room for much more than they did. edit: I mean Airplane! had been out for four years at this point too, plus Monty Python and god knows how many others.

Anyway, yes, TV! HIMYM did an episode that was basically 22 minutes of callbacks and it wasn't obnoxious imo!

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 25, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > TV IV Couch Chat: CineD Couch Chat

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
CineD is talking about TV right now so the universe balances out.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Also there's been like 4 new episodes of anything over the last 2 weeks. All the new shows were covered in tarps and thousands of roaming wild dogs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I watched all of Arrow over the last two weeks. Well worth the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been catching up on Vampire Diaries and watching Cult.

Right now I'm watching a documentary on Hole's old drummer, though.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm on the Party Down train thanks to this thread.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Season 2 of Vikings start this Thursday and Suits is back next week. Nice to have an overload of TV again after the Olympics drought. Just need to sleep-walk through March and wake up when GoT is suddenly back.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

Also there's been like 4 new episodes of anything over the last 2 weeks. All the new shows were covered in tarps and thousands of roaming wild dead dogs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You shut your whore mouth. The wild dogs are all partying with the US snowboarders and Pussy Riot.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Joramun posted:

Nathan is starring on a deeply embarrassing Amazon pilot.
Nothing can be more embarrassing than Heroes Reborn, right?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I would like to point out that we live in a world where Heroes is coming back, and yet eight years on instead of a revived The Lost Room all we have is Warehouse 13.

Now that I've reminded myself of that I feel physically ill, as should you.
The Lost Room was great but we can let its greatness stand, we don't have to turn it into a TV series.

BigRed0427 posted:

On an impulse buy, I decided to get Birds Of Prey on DVD. I'v seen it on shelves for years and have always been curious. How big of a mistake did I make?
The climactic fight scene takes place in the clock tower and features Harley Quinn lesbian licking Huntress's face while TaTu's "All The Things She Said, Running Through My Head" plays... after which Alfred phones Master Bruce and tells him about how he's been watching and he's seen everything...

...so basically, you didn't make a mistake at all.

raditts posted:

If NBC had to bring back a dumb superhero show that they cancelled, I'd rather it be The Cape. At least that one made no illusions about how loving stupid it is, and had Keith David to chew the poo poo out of every piece of scenery available. Of course the main character is now in another dumb NBC show so that's probably a no-go.
They can recast The Cape easily. They just have to keep Keith David (who will have plenty of time once Enlisted is cancelled).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha yeah you aren't kidding about that Tatu fight:

CAUTION EPIC SPOILERS FOR TV MASTERPIECE BIRDS OF PREY FOLLOW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kda9_RDHwM4

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The best subtle Ghostbusters joke is when they switch on Ray in the elevator and Venkman and Egon just sort of awkwardly shuffle away from him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

Gotham has some big shoes to fill...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Geez. What happened in here? Two pages of analyzing and tearing down Ghostbusters? Why we gotta do stuff like that. Ghostbusters is fun. Why can't we just have fun?

DivisionPost posted:

Oh, and just so I'm clear.

I'm not laughing at this at all. This is a fantastic observation, even though I'd argue that there was more intangible sexual energy building between Leslie and Ben before they hooked up.

And I guess I'd also argue that Nick wasn't really on Jess's radar until he kissed her, but I'd have to re-watch the season.
I don't know, it seems like a bit of a knee jerk reaction to me. As you said Nick wasn't ever especially interested in Jess until they kissed so he was hardly "friend zoned" so much as he was, you know, her friend. As you said I think there was plenty of apparent attraction between Ben and Leslie because they were very similar people and I thought the show played that very well. Ted's kind of a douche but he dated dozens and dozens of women in those eight years and broke up with all of them for valid reasons. He's not a douche because he "waited 8 years for Mrs. Right" he's a douche because he turned a "How I Met Your Mother" story into 8 years of boasting about banging hot chicks.

I don't think Peter Venkman is especially creepy either. You can hit on women and be overtly interested in them short of being Barney from How I Met Your Mother.

But Irish Joe's take just seems to be a hard knee jerk response the other way. But maybe he was trolling? I don't know, I don't get Irish Joe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm I dunno guys, what do you think, do you think Irish Joe was trolling?

Dexo posted:

Gotham has some big shoes to fill...

It is without a doubt the worst musical cue I've ever heard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Geez. What happened in here? Two pages of analyzing and tearing down Ghostbusters? Why we gotta do stuff like that. Ghostbusters is fun. Why can't we just have fun?

This is a media forum, dear.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

The current derailed discussion in the Comic Book Movie thread in CineD is due to SMG's prodding questions of "what is fun?" Seriously.

I hate the internet sometimes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

Hmmm I dunno guys, what do you think, do you think Irish Joe was trolling?
Yeah, like I said I freely admit I'm one of the people who just doesn't get it. I'm tone deaf to some things but at least I know it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
One more for the revival list (or should I say, someone should finally pick up the pilot): Global Frequency. We all remember that, right guys?

god it was so long ago it was even shot in 4:3 iirc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Holy poo poo this is the greatest thing I have seen all day week month year.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Bown posted:

I'm also not sure the "life was slower" logic makes much sense either considering Woody Allen had already made most of his classics by then and they're crammed full of great jokes. Not that I'm suggesting Ghostbusters needed to be rapid-fire slapstick but there was still room for much more than they did. edit: I mean Airplane! had been out for four years at this point too, plus Monty Python and god knows how many others.

I love Ghostbusters but Airplane! is absolutely one of the best comedies of all time. It's not a nostalgia thing either, it's just hilarious from beginning to end.

I need to watch the new True Detective episode. Sister won't shut up about it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

precision posted:

It... it just keeps on going.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

precision posted:

Every time that gets posted I have to rewatch it just to remind myself how far we've come.

It also never fails to make me laugh, so that's cool when I have a lovely day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched that video but unfortunately while I was everyone I've ever known in my entire life walked in the room and shook their head in disdain. I tried to explain to them I was just watching it out of curiosity but they just wouldn't listen. Now I'm dead of embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I watched that video but unfortunately while I was everyone I've ever known in my entire life walked in the room and shook their head in disdain. I tried to explain to them I was just watching it out of curiosity but they just wouldn't listen. Now I'm dead of embarrassment.

Follow it up with episodes of Cleopatra 2525

• Locked thread