Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I see that the Fighter class has options for bow stuff. A player of mine was looking at that, and wondering how the mechanics of swapping weapons works. Do you guys consider that a quick action, two quick actions (i.e. a quick and a move), or what when it comes to switching between a melee weapon and a bow?

Edit: Oh, and while I'm at it, is there any reason a Paladin, Fighter, or Cleric would ever want to use anything besides heavy armor?

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Pretty sure it's one quick to switch weapons, and no, not really unless you want to wear weaker armor for some kind of flavor reason.

e: You could also rework Rapid Reload to make swapping a free action, maybe, since I'd guess approximately nobody actually uses it (or has reason to use it).

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Okay those are both awesome! Here's what I've got so far:

Archmage -> Pritek Dynamics: the cutting-edge research & development concern responsible for prototyping most of the modern conveniences of society. Though outwardly academic, it is rumoured that a number of their present projects are pointed towards something very practical in the not-too-distant future...
Crusader -> The Dreadnought: the Dreadnought's singular focus is keeping at bay the encroaching Yxev. She sees them as an all-imperilling threat that must be countered at any cost, and has formed the Sword Legion to fight her battles (be they in Yxev-held systems or seemingly-innocent colony worlds).
Diabolist -> Yxev: an utterly alien collective with unparalleled control over mutagenics, the Yxev strive to absorb other sentient life and overwhelm Central. Capable of tremendous shows of force, the Yxev is also known to use guile and proffered rewards to further its ends.
Dwarf King -> The Builders: a group of industrialists dedicated to exploiting the infinite resource potential of the universe. Closely aligned with the Starfarers.
Elf Queen -> Starfarers: artists and creatives following the teachings of the Far-Reaching One, the Starfarers venture out into the galaxy to find new muses for their talents. They work closely with the Builders, sharing location data of more mundane deposits of interesting elements or using heavy equipment to move particularly inspiring pieces of space mysteria.
Emperor -> Central: a massive artificial intelligence, Central covers a full third of a Terran-scale planet. Within its bedrock-digging crystal mainframes, the machinations of an interstellar empire are carried out with machine logic and blinding speed.
Great Gold Wyrm -> Shield Legion: organized as much as the result of an ideological schism as to address a credible threat, the original Shield Legion was mandated with defending the known frontier from hostile incursions by malevolent alien species. Its purpose has since muddied, turning its members into a secondary policing force as well as remaining the nominal defenders of the fringes.
High Druid -> The Reshapers: a race of sentient, bipedal fungi, the Reshapers are driven almost compulsively to expand and colonize any available space. Their aggressive terraforming has provoked several conflicts in the past, and anxiety grows as the next fungus war looms.
Lich King -> Koschei: A rogue AI excised from Central's programming, Koschei the Deathless has focused most of its efforts on developing technology to foster immortality in any number of grisly-seeming ways. Its ultimate goal is to use these methods to expand its dominion to all sentient life, though what it might do then is anyone's guess.
Orc Lord -> Pirate King: Space piracy has, in the past, not rated highly as a concern amongst travellers. The past decade, however, has seen this assumption turned completely on its ear - packs of heavily-armed pirate vessels clash more and more frequently with system security forces, and while casualties are generally minimal, it is clear that a show of force is being made. Captured pirates report a tall, masked figure giving orders to ship's captains, though the endgame of the pirates has yet to be seen.
Priestess -> Silver Alice: Possibly the only cultural product that resonates amongst almost any species, Silver Alice is both a woman and a media empire. Through advanced virtualities and artificial sensory manipulation, she provides entertainment to much of known space.
Prince of Shadows -> The Blackbody: As much disregarded as a myth as accepted as a prime mover, the entity known as the Blackbody may or may not exist, and may or may not be pulling the strings of the entire universe. Though you might not want to debate its existence one way or the other in certain corners of the galaxy, if you're averse to strange consequences.

So that's what I've got. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with The Three - either make it an ethically-bereft foil to the Archmage, or some kind of private military/mercenary contractor, or something else entirely. Meanwhile, let's play "spot the shameless trope-stealing"!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Majuju posted:

So that's what I've got. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with The Three - either make it an ethically-bereft foil to the Archmage, or some kind of private military/mercenary contractor, or something else entirely. Meanwhile, let's play "spot the shameless trope-stealing"!

Weyland-Draconis-Yutani

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

I was raving about it on IRC last night, but Theurge looks awesome and I can't wait to try it out.

Great! Please tell me how it works out.

Ryuujin posted:

I too am really liking the looks of the Theurge. I assume the Magic attack is a basic attack and thus usable when people are limited to basics? Just that if there is an anti-magic zone they can't use it.

Yep.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Majuju posted:

So that's what I've got. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with The Three - either make it an ethically-bereft foil to the Archmage, or some kind of private military/mercenary contractor, or something else entirely.
Given what you have, I'd say a completely money-driven PMC would make sense. They have no morals whatsoever, no lines they won't cross as long as the mercs get paid and the company makes a profit make a profit. Rumor has it they will spark or manipulate conflicts "behind the scenes" in order to drum up business.

If you wanted to keep the one-Icon-three-figures thing, then maybe it's a sort of conglomeration of a PMC, a weapons developer, and a political bloc. The politicos keep wars going on, the weapons get sold, and the PMC gets work.

Also I would play the everloving poo poo out of this. Somebody please write 31st Age.

Dec 26, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Overwhelming numbers of enemies with ranged attacks makes things difficult for fighters and paladins to actually defend their party. I'd reccommend going 50s scifi, with robots who have sword hands and big leathery monsters and space pirates with cutlasses to round it out?

Of course, if everyone goes in knowing most opponents are going to have lasers and masers and phasers then they can just not take Intercept and be perfectly fine.

Yeah, the ranged focus was kind of a sticking point when I initially thought about it. My mental train of thought was to keep it as-is and simply introduce talents for the fighter/barbarian/paladin that allow a ranged focus (well, allow less awkwardly in the case of fighter), but I like the idea of "smaller guns are engagement range, larger are near/far range" that someone upthread thought of.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

01011001 posted:

Yeah, the ranged focus was kind of a sticking point when I initially thought about it. My mental train of thought was to keep it as-is and simply introduce talents for the fighter/barbarian/paladin that allow a ranged focus (well, allow less awkwardly in the case of fighter), but I like the idea of "smaller guns are engagement range, larger are near/far range" that someone upthread thought of.

It wouldn't be too big of a leap to go from that to full-on urban warfare tactics. If you assume engagement to be the size of a room, then moving from engagement to engagement would be like storming a building. You fight through each part of the building, clearing the places you've left behind you. Attacks that operate on a nearby or far level then blow through walls or use psionics or gas or radiation maybe?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

RyvenCedrylle posted:

OK. I'll start messing around with that. Meanwhile, take a look at this. I'm not going to playtest it but I would like a few eyes scanning for obvious flaws. After that, Wade, it's all yours.

I've got some questions on Theurge mechanics.

MAGIC: Does an enchanted implement allow you to apply that enchantment to attacks with your MAGIC?

Elemental Proclivity: Does the theurge need to choose a single type of energy per attack, or can energy types be combined?

Touch of Life: What type of action is used for Touch of Life? Does it use the normal quick action for healing abilities?

Mass Enchantment: Does the adventurer feat effectively turn the Theurge's MAGIC into a ranged weapon, or does the ability granted by the feat only kick in when the Theurge is dropping damage?

I really like this class and now I'm even more pissed that no one in my group is running a game so I can try it out. :rolldice:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I wish there was another 13a recruit going up so I can try the Theurge. But as for your last question isn't MAGIC already a melee, close and ranged weapon? Though not sure exactly what that means. Unless melee is used against engaged, close works against nearby and ranged against far? One thing I noticed, and might determine which race one goes, is that it is the stat you choose to get the +2 class bonus to is the one you use for attack. So if you want to attack with Con you want to grab +2 Con from your class rather than race.

Actually for Mass Enchantment how far can you lower the damage die? Down to 1d4? Down to some nebulous 1d2? Is 4 targets the absolute most you can ever target at one time?

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 25, 2014

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah I wish there was another 13a recruit going up so I can try the Theurge. But as for your last question isn't MAGIC already a melee, close and ranged weapon? Though not sure exactly what that means. Unless melee is used against engaged, close works against nearby and ranged against far? One thing I noticed, and might determine which race one goes, is that it is the stat you choose to get the +2 class bonus to is the one you use for attack. So if you want to attack with Con you want to grab +2 Con from your class rather than race.

Actually for Mass Enchantment how far can you lower the damage die? Down to 1d4? Down to some nebulous 1d2? Is 4 targets the absolute most you can ever target at one time?

Thank you for pointing that out, because I completely missed that section on the class. I had thought that based on the description MAGIC was only a melee weapon.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Actually speaking of classes and magic implements. Anyone know what is up with the official Druid? Can a magic staff be used as a weapon as well? What implements work for Druid spells? Wands? Holy Symbol? Only Staffs? Or do even Staffs work? And is there any way to get an enchantment bonus to attack and damage with the Druid Shapeshifter Beast Form attack? Would an implement's enhancement bonus transfer to the attack? Would a magic weapon's?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Given what you have, I'd say a completely money-driven PMC would make sense. They have no morals whatsoever, no lines they won't cross as long as the mercs get paid and the company makes a profit make a profit. Rumor has it they will spark or manipulate conflicts "behind the scenes" in order to drum up business.

If you wanted to keep the one-Icon-three-figures thing, then maybe it's a sort of conglomeration of a PMC, a weapons developer, and a political bloc. The politicos keep wars going on, the weapons get sold, and the PMC gets work.

Also I would play the everloving poo poo out of this. Somebody please write 31st Age.

The Three -> Dalton-Reinhardt-Genzu Interstellar: Formed from the merger of a private military corporation, an arms manufacturer, and a firm of political consultants, DRG forges its profits providing weaponry, training, and protection services to non-Central-aligned ventures. Notoriously amoral, it's rumoured that they provoke governments into conflict to perpetuate their military-industrial dominance.

Booyeah! With that I have I think a decent foundation for grand space opera and a frigate full of roustabouts to leave their mark. Thanks to everyone who entertained my weird, stupid ideas. I will throw a link in here once I get the recruit thread set up!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Majuju posted:

The Three -> Dalton-Reinhardt-Genzu Interstellar: Formed from the merger of a private military corporation, an arms manufacturer, and a firm of political consultants, DRG forges its profits providing weaponry, training, and protection services to non-Central-aligned ventures. Notoriously amoral, it's rumoured that they provoke governments into conflict to perpetuate their military-industrial dominance.

Booyeah! With that I have I think a decent foundation for grand space opera and a frigate full of roustabouts to leave their mark. Thanks to everyone who entertained my weird, stupid ideas. I will throw a link in here once I get the recruit thread set up!

I'm so glad you posted this. I now know exactly how I want to theme my first session. Gonna channel some Firefly meets Neuromancer.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

SageNytell posted:

I've got some questions on Theurge mechanics.

MAGIC: Does an enchanted implement allow you to apply that enchantment to attacks with your MAGIC?

Elemental Proclivity: Does the theurge need to choose a single type of energy per attack, or can energy types be combined?

Touch of Life: What type of action is used for Touch of Life? Does it use the normal quick action for healing abilities?

Mass Enchantment: Does the adventurer feat effectively turn the Theurge's MAGIC into a ranged weapon, or does the ability granted by the feat only kick in when the Theurge is dropping damage?

I really like this class and now I'm even more pissed that no one in my group is running a game so I can try it out. :rolldice:

1) Yes. MAGIC is basically a weapon so your implement lets you keep up with other weapon-users.

2) At the moment, blending is fine. If frostcheese and/or radiant mafia garbage ever ends up in 13th Age, I may have to note that separately. As it stands there are no elemental-based bonuses, so throw holy fire to your heart's contentment.

3) Yes. Quick Action. I thought I put that in there, but maybe not. I'll fix it if I didn't.

4) This has been covered, but yes. MAGIC is melee, close or ranged. Tangential answer - I can't imagine anyone going lower than d4 for damage (three targets unless you're also rocking Unholy Might) but if you have some interesting reason to hit d3 or d2, I'm not going to stop you. Yet. Unless someone finds some crazy loophole with it somehow.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Yet. Unless someone finds some crazy loophole with it somehow.

If anyone can find it, my wife will.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So I'm rolling a Monk up and I've got a snag.

I took the Strength of Earth talent...but the question is, does my Ranged attack now become Strength based, or does that not count as part of the "Monk features", and it only affects stuff like my powers and melee attack?

It's not HUGELY important. It'll likely be the difference between using stars and just running at people.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Classtoise posted:

So I'm rolling a Monk up and I've got a snag.

I took the Strength of Earth talent...but the question is, does my Ranged attack now become Strength based, or does that not count as part of the "Monk features", and it only affects stuff like my powers and melee attack?

It's not HUGELY important. It'll likely be the difference between using stars and just running at people.

It was later clarified that things like ranged basic attacks and AC were not affected by Strength of Earth.

I say "were" because you are building a Monk with the playtest rules from two versions ago.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Earthorn posted:

It was later clarified that things like ranged basic attacks and AC were not affected by Strength of Earth.

I say "were" because you are building a Monk with the playtest rules from two versions ago.

Well poo poo. I guess I'll have to look for an updated version.

Also, an updated character sheet. This one seems to insist that the Monk uses Int to attack (and it's supposedly the most recent)

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Actually speaking of classes and magic implements. Anyone know what is up with the official Druid? Can a magic staff be used as a weapon as well? What implements work for Druid spells? Wands? Holy Symbol? Only Staffs? Or do even Staffs work? And is there any way to get an enchantment bonus to attack and damage with the Druid Shapeshifter Beast Form attack? Would an implement's enhancement bonus transfer to the attack? Would a magic weapon's?

If those things aren't clear in the playtest doc, it would be excellent feedback to give the designers. You're looking at the first public draft so there are many things to be hammered out.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

RyvenCedrylle posted:

1) Yes. MAGIC is basically a weapon so your implement lets you keep up with other weapon-users.

2) At the moment, blending is fine. If frostcheese and/or radiant mafia garbage ever ends up in 13th Age, I may have to note that separately. As it stands there are no elemental-based bonuses, so throw holy fire to your heart's contentment.

3) Yes. Quick Action. I thought I put that in there, but maybe not. I'll fix it if I didn't.

4) This has been covered, but yes. MAGIC is melee, close or ranged. Tangential answer - I can't imagine anyone going lower than d4 for damage (three targets unless you're also rocking Unholy Might) but if you have some interesting reason to hit d3 or d2, I'm not going to stop you. Yet. Unless someone finds some crazy loophole with it somehow.

The loophole is dropping your damage as far as it will go so you can debuff the entire encounter when combined with Disruptive Casting; if the effect you're placing is more important than the damage you'd do, it doesn't matter that your damage is pathetic. In particular, stunning a lot of targets once per day at epic levels is more important than damaging those targets.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

If you're interested in creating new icons instead of reskinning the base ones I feel like any space game really needs some sort of 'Collection of Free Colonies' movement or group. Before I started on my Fantasy 1920's based game I flirted with the idea of the 31st Age and my Crusader spot was taken over by The United Far Colony Freedom Movement, a rough collective of all the far colonies that had been abandoned by the central government either because things got too dicey or because whatever natural resource the colony was generating was running dry or was found closer/more abundant elsewhere. Politically they're mostly unrecognized with the Main government (Emperor reskin) officially treating them as terrorists and rebels. They're doing whatever they have to to keep their colonies running and safe, getting into small scale skirmishes with the ruling authority for control of important points/warp gates/trade routes/etc. Just an idea.

Also I finished my first wave of playtest feedback for the last packet if anyone's interested in reading it

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you're interested in creating new icons instead of reskinning the base ones I feel like any space game really needs some sort of 'Collection of Free Colonies' movement or group. Before I started on my Fantasy 1920's based game I flirted with the idea of the 31st Age and my Crusader spot was taken over by The United Far Colony Freedom Movement, a rough collective of all the far colonies that had been abandoned by the central government either because things got too dicey or because whatever natural resource the colony was generating was running dry or was found closer/more abundant elsewhere. Politically they're mostly unrecognized with the Main government (Emperor reskin) officially treating them as terrorists and rebels. They're doing whatever they have to to keep their colonies running and safe, getting into small scale skirmishes with the ruling authority for control of important points/warp gates/trade routes/etc. Just an idea.

Aaaah now you've sent me into some sort of spiral that means I will never complete things to my ideal liking AAAAAAA

e: Actually I could probably suffice in changing the Great Gold Wyrm for something like what you're describing above, as I feel like they're the weakest-defined of my icons. ONWARD!

Majuju fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 27, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Majuju posted:

Aaaah now you've sent me into some sort of spiral that means I will never complete things to my ideal liking AAAAAAA

e: Actually I could probably suffice in changing the Great Gold Wyrm for something like what you're describing above, as I feel like they're the weakest-defined of my icons. ONWARD!

Every Space setting needs it's Zeon.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also I finished my first wave of playtest feedback for the last packet if anyone's interested in reading it

Reading this.

The 3rd sentence on your 3rd paragraph is just, grammatically... hosed. I think you need to take out that "and" that's in there.
Also, don't say "like" all the time.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Sefer posted:

The loophole is dropping your damage as far as it will go so you can debuff the entire encounter when combined with Disruptive Casting; if the effect you're placing is more important than the damage you'd do, it doesn't matter that your damage is pathetic. In particular, stunning a lot of targets once per day at epic levels is more important than damaging those targets.

If you hit, yes. That's one of the places I need to watch carefully in playtesting. I think if it's a daily ability in Epic tier that you had to feat into, that's probably enough investment to justify the outcome but we'll see how it plays out at the table.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Speaking of classes, Ryven and I made a class:

The Lurker

Inspired by the Assassin, Vampire, and other shadowy classes from 4e that were really cool and fun to play (even if they were less than efficient). You'll see a few familiar mechanics in here revamped for 13th Age and other new shadowy powers. It's going to get a release as a pretty PDF with pictures and whatnot, but we thought we'd give you guys access to it now!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The Lurker is drat cool, and my only qualms involve the extremely low amount of recoveries (4 instead of 8 is probably a safe bet) and the Evil Eye die roll (could probably trigger off a 6 as well, or even a relationship die, for maximum Satanic :evil:).

If I can just hijack this discussion for a sec: as I previously mentioned I'm running on Saturday, most likely the opening of a grand war scenario. What should I do to ensure a good fun time for all? How the hell do I use story guide dice, first of all? Should I make sure the players have at least some shared relationships?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Walker posted:

The Lurker is drat cool, and my only qualms involve the extremely low amount of recoveries (4 instead of 8 is probably a safe bet) and the Evil Eye die roll (could probably trigger off a 6 as well, or even a relationship die, for maximum Satanic :evil:).

If I can just hijack this discussion for a sec: as I previously mentioned I'm running on Saturday, most likely the opening of a grand war scenario. What should I do to ensure a good fun time for all? How the hell do I use story guide dice, first of all? Should I make sure the players have at least some shared relationships?

If you can, find out what relationships the players are interested in in advance, so you can brainstorm how they might interact with the rough scenario you have in mind.

I'm also fond of players and GMs both having access to banked relationship dice rolls - if the player wants to use it in response to something they've encountered, let them describe the usage and roll with it. (if appropriate - for example, when being shaken down by crooked guards, a Crusader die might call for a random paladin/knight to wander by and intervene in their favor) Otherwise, you as a GM can use those relationships to drive stories and give the players a deeper investment into where things are going based on their own personal relationship connections.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

-Fish- posted:

Speaking of classes, Ryven and I made a class:

The Lurker

Inspired by the Assassin, Vampire, and other shadowy classes from 4e that were really cool and fun to play (even if they were less than efficient). You'll see a few familiar mechanics in here revamped for 13th Age and other new shadowy powers. It's going to get a release as a pretty PDF with pictures and whatnot, but we thought we'd give you guys access to it now!

Okay going to bring things up as I come across them:

I assume Heavy Two-Handed is supposed to be 1d10 (-2 attack) instead of the 1d20 (-2 attack) that is listed.

Death's Mark's Champion feat. What does the Vulnerable 18+ mean? Vulnerability already improves your crit range by +2, usually to 18+, so what does this feat do?

"Choose three Tricks and Treats(name subject to final approval) at level 1. Gain an extra Trick or Treat at levels 5 and 8." Does this mean 3 Tricks and 3 Treats. Or just 3 talents that could be any combination of Tricks and Treats?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ryuujin posted:

Okay going to bring things up as I come across them:

I assume Heavy Two-Handed is supposed to be 1d10 (-2 attack) instead of the 1d20 (-2 attack) that is listed.

Death's Mark's Champion feat. What does the Vulnerable 18+ mean? Vulnerability already improves your crit range by +2, usually to 18+, so what does this feat do?

"Choose three Tricks and Treats(name subject to final approval) at level 1. Gain an extra Trick or Treat at levels 5 and 8." Does this mean 3 Tricks and 3 Treats. Or just 3 talents that could be any combination of Tricks and Treats?

1) Yeah, that's a typo on my part. I'll edit that in a moment.

2) We were under the impression that Vulnerable only increased the critical range by one. If what you say is the case we'll probably go nuts and make it 16+.

3) Gain one extra thing (trick or treat) at these levels. I'll either clean up the wording or we'll come up with something suitably dark and nasty to rename these to in order to avoid confusion.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

"Thus the reason 13th Age does not have an outcry over damage on a miss. If the whole game is entirely objectionable on so many levels there is no point fighting over one mechanic."

If only we could still add blurbs to the back cover.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What's the context for that quote? It doesn't make any sense. :confused:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Jackard posted:

There's an entire forum dedicated to discussing how terrible it is that 5th edition D&D has Damage on a Miss as an effect for a single fighter class feature.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Jackard posted:

Grogs.txt

More specifically, probably the guy who has made 30 different accounts on the Wizards boards to complain about how fighters in NEXT getting DoaM ~ruins his versimilitude~ or some bullshit, responding to someone who pointed out that 13A does it too.

e: Or what Mystic Mongol said because holy poo poo that's actually a thing that exists :psyduck:

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 27, 2014

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

waderockett posted:

"Thus the reason 13th Age does not have an outcry over damage on a miss. If the whole game is entirely objectionable on so many levels there is no point fighting over one mechanic."

If only we could still add blurbs to the back cover.

You could still put that on 13 True Ways, right? Or maybe the signs for the convention demos?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The Something Awful Forums > Games > Traditional Games > Damage on a Miss Appreciation Station (also the 13th Age RPG)

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 27, 2014

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The guy who said it is Emerikol I believe and he is sorta infamous on the Wizards boards for basically being the most hardcore angry grognard ever. Anytime Next has done anything that deviates from his conception of what D&D's sacred cows are, he's there with his battle cry of "dissociative!"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

-Fish- posted:

1) Yeah, that's a typo on my part. I'll edit that in a moment.

2) We were under the impression that Vulnerable only increased the critical range by one. If what you say is the case we'll probably go nuts and make it 16+.

3) Gain one extra thing (trick or treat) at these levels. I'll either clean up the wording or we'll come up with something suitably dark and nasty to rename these to in order to avoid confusion.

1) Yeah that was what I assumed, especially since a later ability allows them to use d12s for an encounter.

2) Yeah I checked the Conditions section in the main book and it had this to say: "Vulnerable: Attacks against you have their crit range expanded
by 2 (normally 18+)." Also improving it to 16+ is pretty cool. I think Rangers have ways to get that kind of crit range but otherwise it is pretty rare so that would be nice.

3) I meant at 1st level when they get 3. I assume they get three talents, and not 3 Treats and 3 Tricks. Calling them Tricks and Treats is interesting but I didn't see any reason they couldn't just be called talents. I was expecting something to interact with Treats or Tricks specifically.

Rosalind posted:

The guy who said it is Emerikol I believe and he is sorta infamous on the Wizards boards for basically being the most hardcore angry grognard ever. Anytime Next has done anything that deviates from his conception of what D&D's sacred cows are, he's there with his battle cry of "dissociative!"

Emerikol is one of the more vocal grognards yes, but he is hardly the most hardcore angry grognard ever. That seems to be MtlKnight/whatever other name currently being used out of what half a dozen or so. That said Emerikol is pretty hardcore grognard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Theurge question: if you take Disruptive Casting at level one, do you drop the damage dice to just your ability modifier (thus making it incompatible with Mass Enchantment until level 2)?

• Locked thread