Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FightingMongoose posted:

In Shaun of the Dead, Shaun rings up a restaurant to book a table for his anniversary and they tell him they just gave away the last table. The character's distraught as he realises he's ruined his anniversary. Except that he lives in London and there must be a thousand restaurants they could go to. Go through the phone book and keep going until you find one! Such a tiny thing but it annoys me every time I see it.

:effort: is Shaun's thing, though. The point isn't that there could be a thousand other restaurants but he forgot about it and left things until the last minute again because he was happy in his little rut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Wasn't that supposed to be the restaurant they both liked or something? And didn't he also promise that he would get the reservation there? I'm not saying he couldn't have wormed his way out of it, just that that restaurant meant something to the couple.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FightingMongoose posted:

In the T.V. series of Game of Thrones (minor season 2 spoilers) when the army of northerners march into the south they keep wearing their huge fur clothing. Surely if they're used to the cold they should all be stripping down by that point?

You'd be amazed what people will put up with for national pride.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FightingMongoose posted:

In Shaun of the Dead, Shaun rings up a restaurant to book a table for his anniversary and they tell him they just gave away the last table. The character's distraught as he realises he's ruined his anniversary. Except that he lives in London and there must be a thousand restaurants they could go to. Go through the phone book and keep going until you find one! Such a tiny thing but it annoys me every time I see it.
He'd told his girlfriend that he'd already booked that place specifically. It's not the having a place to eat, it's her finding out that he'd forgotten to book anything and then lied about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, but he also makes it worse by saying that they should go to the pub instead.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

FightingMongoose posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but wasn't it a specific restaurant that he'd lied to Liz about and said he'd already made reservations?

e: whoops new page :downs:

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but wasn't it a specific restaurant that he'd lied to Liz about and said he'd already made reservations?

e: whoops new page :downs:

Yeah it was the "place that does the fish" I believe or something like that. So it was a specific restaurant that liz really liked.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
On reflection I think FightingMongoose's point was that he could have rung around until he was able to make some reservations at short notice somewhere fancy and maybe earn points for belated effort. That he didn't do this and instead immediately defaulted to Pub is probably not an oversight of the writers or script but rather yet another example of Shaun just being generally awful at everything.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

Splicer posted:

That he didn't do this and instead immediately defaulted to Pub is probably not an oversight of the writers or script but rather yet another example of Shaun just being generally awful at everything.

Perhaps. It still fills me with rage.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At that point in Shaun and Liz' relationship, though, the positive "Shaun managed to find another place (that isn't the Winchester)" doesn't remotely outweigh the negative "Shaun didn't do what he promised to, again." It's not about having a reservation, it's about Shaun getting his poo poo together.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

LeJackal posted:

:ohdear: What have I done? :ohdear:

If you survive, bring us a trip report and tell us how Drop Zone killed your love for Point Break.

Trip report underway!

DROP ZONE is a movie where Gary Busey kills someone while skydiving, wearing zebra pants.

DROP ZONE is a movie where one of the villains is balding and has a ponytail at the same time.

DROP ZONE is a movie where Wesley Snipes gets dropped from a plane without a parachute, gets caught in midair and punches the person who catches him in the face.

DROP ZONE is so extreme I feel a mental obligation to spell its title in caps, every time.

DROP ZONE is amazing.

Oh yeah and I still love Point Break

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

M.Ciaster posted:

DROP ZONE is a movie where Wesley Snipes punches a woman in the face.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gaunab posted:

She deserved it, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

M.Ciaster posted:

Or as Wesley Snipes calls it...Tuesday.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

I dunno, if I got dropped out of a plane without a parachute, with the addition of my brother having died a short while ago because of that exact thing, I'd probably do the same

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm not for or against it. I'm just saying you don't see men hit women for comedic effect that often. That's the kind of movie DROP ZONE is

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

FightingMongoose posted:

In the T.V. series of Game of Thrones (minor season 2 spoilers) when the army of northerners march into the south they keep wearing their huge fur clothing. Surely if they're used to the cold they should all be stripping down by that point?

In the books (and I guess with like one line in the show), they establish that summer is officially over by that point and it's getting colder. Autumn in the Riverlands would be pretty cold, even if you're used to summer in the North.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
Then everyone else should be bloody freezing.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bad Company (the one with Sir Anthony Hopkins and Chris Rock, because there are apparently 20 movies with that title) is a terrible pile of poo poo overall, but one thing stands out: one of the bad guys is named Michelle Petrov. Yes, Michelle, the woman's name, not Michel, the man's name. I was gonna rant about a Russian terrorist having a French name, but it turns out that Michel is also a Czech name, a variant of Michal. A good portion of the movie is set in the Czech Republic, so he might well be Czech and not Russian.

Still, though. Michelle. And no mention is made of this in the movie. You only find out if you watch the credits or turn the subtitles on.

I suspect that whoever did the credits and subtitles just hosed up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mister Nobody posted:

I've been watching Fringe, and my wife just pointed out how agent Dunham has the irritating habit of just repeating whatever Walter or Peter says, or just flat out stating the obvious long after everyone has already jumped to a conclusion.

For example Peter says that a certain disease causes irreversible organ and tissue damage, Dunham follows with "So its fatal?"

No poo poo Sherlock.

That's the purpose of a straight man: first, you assume the audience is idiotic. That means that when anyone talks about smart stuff, the straight man has to repeat it in a simpler, laymans-terms fashion. Because the audience won't get it otherwise.

See: Big Bang Theory.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Fringe (and many others), how horrible our crew is despite clearly not being intended to be antiheroes. Just in the first half of S1 they drilled into some mentally challenged guy's skull with a rusty drill bit and multiple times withheld medical treatment from suspects to force them to cooperate. When someone like Vic or Raylan does something like this that's ok because they're rear end in a top hat, but they are clearly supposed to be nice guys.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Morpheus posted:

That's the purpose of a straight man: first, you assume the audience is idiotic. That means that when anyone talks about smart stuff, the straight man has to repeat it in a simpler, laymans-terms fashion. Because the audience won't get it otherwise.

Like blowing too much air into a balloon!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of Fringe (and many others), how horrible our crew is despite clearly not being intended to be antiheroes. Just in the first half of S1 they drilled into some mentally challenged guy's skull with a rusty drill bit and multiple times withheld medical treatment from suspects to force them to cooperate. When someone like Vic or Raylan does something like this that's ok because they're rear end in a top hat, but they are clearly supposed to be nice guys.

Walter has done poo poo that makes them look downright cuddly, but I'm not sure if you've gotten to the part where they really show you what a complete madman he is/was.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Walter has done poo poo that makes them look downright cuddly, but I'm not sure if you've gotten to the part where they really show you what a complete madman he is/was.

You will also meet a character that makes past Walter seem like a teddy bear.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Morpheus posted:

See: Big Bang Theory.

But I don't want to see Big Bang Theory.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

At that point in Shaun and Liz' relationship, though, the positive "Shaun managed to find another place (that isn't the Winchester)" doesn't remotely outweigh the negative "Shaun didn't do what he promised to, again." It's not about having a reservation, it's about Shaun getting his poo poo together.
I was contemplating whether Shaun really got his poo poo together at the end and I realized that what really opened up Shaun and Liz' relationship other than the effect of surviving an apocalyptic crisis together was the third wheel best friend Ed dying. I mean, Shaun is still slacking off and chilling out all day watching TV and poo poo, it's just that now he's doing that stuff with his girlfriend. There's relief because the impediment between them (his friend) was removed and now there's room for him to live the slacker life with her. I seem to remember she still even sort of expresses mild irritation (though maybe jokingly, I haven't seen it in a while) at him wanting to go out and play videogames with the undead abomination Ed is now.

Do I need to spoiler Shaun of the Dead? :v:

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Feb 24, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm a huge fan of John Noble. He's great in Sleepy Hollow, too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm a huge fan of John Noble. He's great in Sleepy Hollow, too.

He was brilliant as Denethor in Lord of the Rings, too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What did the aliens in Pitch Black eat when there weren't delicious humans around?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Len posted:

What did the aliens in Pitch Black eat when there weren't delicious humans around?

Each other?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bobkatt013 posted:

Each other?

But like nocturnal cave dwellers that come out every 22 years and killed everything that lived on the planet? Would there really be as many as there are with them eating other for food during that down time? I demand to know how fictional creatures function biologically!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Len posted:

But like nocturnal cave dwellers that come out every 22 years and killed everything that lived on the planet? Would there really be as many as there are with them eating other for food during that down time? I demand to know how fictional creatures function biologically!

Maybe they're like cicadas and have a long dormancy phase.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Maybe they're like cicadas and have a long dormancy phase.
Every cycle there's a few more of them and they eat a little more. Last cycle was the tipping point, and the fallout from their feeding phase caused the entire ecosystem to collapse during their hibernation. If a ship of tasty humans hadn't shown up then they'd have spent this dormancy phase ripping each other to shreds as the death-cry of a once fertile world.

No I'm not getting this from anywhere I made it up.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I wonder what evolved advantage skin that falls apart if lit by something as small as a flashlight offers.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Splicer posted:

Every cycle there's a few more of them and they eat a little more. Last cycle was the tipping point, and the fallout from their feeding phase caused the entire ecosystem to collapse during their hibernation. If a ship of tasty humans hadn't shown up then they'd have spent this dormancy phase ripping each other to shreds as the death-cry of a once fertile world.

No I'm not getting this from anywhere I made it up.

This actually makes perfect sense considering given information within the context of the movie.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I wonder what evolved advantage skin that falls apart if lit by something as small as a flashlight offers.

Evolution doesn't always pick the trait that makes you physically stronger, just the one that allows survival. Considering the planets Sun issues it was already having, it's feasible that sometime in the planets past the surface became so fuckoff hot that creatures with frail, brittle skin were the most adaptable simply because they were already chillin' underground. Then it just snowballed from there.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dr_Amazing posted:

Exfoliation. They were genetically engineered by Laboratoires Garnier.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Walking Dead is a pretty bad offender for irritating firearm moments. One of the rifle props at the Governor's place is clearly bent and would probably explode if you tried to shoot it and their .50 cal looks like it's made of cardboard.

During the first episode, police officers take the safeties off their Glocks.

A good one last night was during the last episode of Season 3 where Andrea had gotten bit and was in the room with Michonne; Rick lends Andrea his .357 which Andrea shoots herself with. After that you hear a shell casing hit the floor..

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Well did they at least remember to cock the hammers back when they drew their pistols?

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

Pneub posted:

Well did they at least remember to cock the hammers back when they drew their pistols?

Of course! Who wants to put up with pesky double action on the first shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Walking Dead is a pretty bad offender for irritating firearm moments. One of the rifle props at the Governor's place is clearly bent and would probably explode if you tried to shoot it and their .50 cal looks like it's made of cardboard.

A good one last night was during the last episode of Season 3 where Andrea had gotten bit and was in the room with Michonne; Rick lends Andrea his .357 which Andrea shoots herself with. After that you hear a shell casing hit the floor..

The Walking Dead is just "Irritating Moments: The TV Show." I watch it with my girlfriend and we have both taken to calling it "Stupid people doing stupid things stupidly."

• Locked thread