Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Are there any programs or tweaks that I can use to make sure that a network drive is always connected? If it gets disconnected or for whatever reason isn't, to then connect it? I have my Plex server on the iMac and the files on my NAS and want to ensure that it's always there. I've had the drive disappear seemingly random without reboots or sleep/wake cycles being involved. Could be something with fast user switching to my wifes account but am doubtful of that.

Thanks!

Haven't personally tried it.

http://plumamazing.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=85

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
.cbz reader, preferably that supports retina?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus christ the OSX SMB support is such garbage

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

JHVH-1 posted:

Probably something you could use controlplane to do one way or another http://www.controlplaneapp.com/

If it doesn't support it directly, it also allows you to use shell scripts.

Thanks. I will check these both out!

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

PRADA SLUT posted:

.cbz reader, preferably that supports retina?

http://dancingtortoise.com/simplecomic/

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is there any free software that converts a Mac Mail mbox file to a PST file?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

So a bug was found in Safari on both OS X and iOS over the weekend. I'm not a security person but from what I understand it's Pretty Bad. Something about SSL being compromised. iOS has been patched but OS X is still waiting. In the meantime people smarter than me suggest using Firefox or Chrome in lieu of Safari until the bug is resolved.

I think my iMac was compromised or something while reading about this on macrumors. Can't connect to internet using any apple software (safari, mail, app store, itunes) but everything else works. I patched my phone and my snow leopard macbook using firefox is fine. I'm kinda pissed and freaking out.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Those symptoms have nothing to do with the vulnerability, and browsing a web page cannot trigger the vulnerability that was patched. Someone on your local network would have to set up a man-in-the-middle attack and would consequently be able to intercept SSL encrypted communications, it's not a virus that infects your computer.

It has nothing to do with your software not connecting to the internet. A potential solution to that would be restarting your computer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Isn't the bug simply "You won't get notified if the site isn't really HTTPS/authenticated" or something like that?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I think the issue is that it fails to verify the certificate signature being presented to it during key exchange.

edit: So basically the man-in-the-middle can say 'here use this key to encrypt your stuff' and OS X says 'okay, thanks' without verifying that it's the proper server giving it the key.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 24, 2014

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yup. I'm a spaz and you are right. Reboot fixed it. I wonder what happened there.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I noticed my late 2012 iMac runs very hot in Windows 8.1 under Boot Camp when playing games. What's the recommend programs to control iMac fans in Windows?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

DarkJC posted:

I think the issue is that it fails to verify the certificate signature being presented to it during key exchange.

edit: So basically the man-in-the-middle can say 'here use this key to encrypt your stuff' and OS X says 'okay, thanks' without verifying that it's the proper server giving it the key.

Exactly right. So it could be a nefarious middleman, and from Safari's point of view, you're happily connected over SSL to your bank or whatever.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

evil_bunnY posted:

And NFS support is even worse (after they broke auto mounts in Mavericks)! And there's no built-in iSCSI initiator either!

Yeah, fun stuff.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

So a bug was found in Safari on both OS X and iOS over the weekend. I'm not a security person but from what I understand it's Pretty Bad. Something about SSL being compromised. iOS has been patched but OS X is still waiting. In the meantime people smarter than me suggest using Firefox or Chrome in lieu of Safari until the bug is resolved.

Unfortunately, it's not just Safari. Any Apple app that can initiate a HTTPS connection is vulnerable. So, Mail, Calendar, etc. all borked. Basically, don't use your Mac on public wifi until this is fixed.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
I'm trying to checkout an svn repo from my work server with OSX 10.9 and it's not working. Here is what I'm doing.

The repo is on the work intranet at
code:
https://ipaddress/svn/project/trunk
I set up a tunnel with ssh by doing this.
code:
ssh -N user@workdomain.com -L 443:ipaddress:443
I can then use my browser to hit the repo all day long but svn fails with ...
code:
cmd> svn up
Updating '.':
svn: E120171: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://localhost/svn/project/trunk'
svn: E120171: Error running context: An error occurred during SSL communication
It might be worth mentioning that I had to compile and install the latest version of Subversion in OSX, but I tested it with other public repositories using the https protocol and it seemed to work fine. It only seems to fail using the tunnel.

I also tried to use Xcode to check it out rather than the command line and it did ask me about an untrusted certificate but once I accepted that Xcode crashed/disappeared.

Also, I can set up a tunnel with putty on a windows virtual machine and use tortoise svn to check out and commit just fine.

Update: I can also connect with the exact same settings in a virtual linux environment running from the same machine. I am thinking it's something to do with the bad cert sent by the subversion server.

Noxious fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 25, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

evil_bunnY posted:

I have two Macs running System 10.9 Mavericks on the same LAN and they cannot connect to each other in the sidebar "network neighbourhood" feature because that defaults to SMB. You have to do Command+K afp://blah.local to force it to connect over AFP then it will work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SeANMcBAY posted:

I noticed my late 2012 iMac runs very hot in Windows 8.1 under Boot Camp when playing games. What's the recommend programs to control iMac fans in Windows?

Try this one:

http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

They have both Mac OS and Windows Boot Camp versions, and it's freeware and is actively (so far) developed, last revision was three weeks ago or so.

On the Mac side it requires at least Snow Leopard (10.6.x) and on the Windows side it works under XP/7/8.

I've already used it to keep the fans from going into overdrive on some Late 2009-2010 iMacs that got a new SSD.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 25, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I have two Macs running System 10.9 Mavericks on the same LAN and they cannot connect to each other in the sidebar "network neighbourhood" feature because that defaults to SMB. You have to do Command+K afp://blah.local to force it to connect over AFP then it will work.
That's precious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CygnusTM posted:

Unfortunately, it's not just Safari. Any Apple app that can initiate a HTTPS connection is vulnerable. So, Mail, Calendar, etc. all borked. Basically, don't use your Mac on public wifi until this is fixed.

Or use a VPN, or use Chrome or Firefox, or...

Does anonymous setup shop at the Starbucks in your area?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
In any event, the update has been released.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There is a 10.9.2 OS X update available now. I'm not seeing a fix for the recent problem in the notes?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It fixes it, you can test for yourself at gotofail.com

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

phosdex posted:

There is a 10.9.2 OS X update available now. I'm not seeing a fix for the recent problem in the notes?

You have to click through to the security notes. It's there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

phosdex posted:

Combo update is here, for those who prefer them over the MAS.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
I installed the 10.9.2 update on my early 2013 15" Macbook Pro and after rebooting I had to reconfigure all of my display settings including changing my wallpaper back to what it was pre-update. Weird. That's pretty trivial, but one bigger thing I'm noticing is that there is definitely now some sort of lag when using my external mouse that was not there pre-update. I can't tell but it seems like there might be inconsistent lag when typing on my external keyboard as well. I was using the computer all morning (for work) and something is definitely off now. Anybody else update and notice anything like this?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No issue like that with my Magic Mouse or older Apple keyboard. Updated via the MAS, too.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?
I restarted again and that seems like it might've fixed it - I can't quite tell yet. Even if it is still off I'll probably be used to it by the end of the day anyway...

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Have confirmed the SSL fix is in 10.9.2

https://gotofail.com

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

What is the best window snap software? I've been looking at Cinch but was wondering if there is anything you guys recommend better?

edit: The closer it resembles Windows, the better. Also if it has the arrow key shortcuts.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BetterSnapTool is usually the most recommend option around here.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

BetterSnapTool is usually the most recommend option around here.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

jink posted:

Have confirmed the SSL fix is in 10.9.2

https://gotofail.com

What ungodly operation does that Internet Explorer button perform?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lexicon posted:

What ungodly operation does that Internet Explorer button perform?
It's a Parallels extension that'll open the current page in IE.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a Parallels extension that'll open the current page in IE.

Ha. Exactly. I never use Safari so I left it on. :)

Other security fixes in 10.9.2:
https://gist.github.com/FredericJacobs/9215169

Looks like Apple has the security page updated for 10.9.2:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6150

jink fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 25, 2014

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Is that new update supposed to take more than 30 minutes or is my Mac Mini bricked now?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Just updated to 10.9.2. Went through basically a mini-OS X install setup. Saw the X logo for 7 minutes, and was asked to log back in to iCloud.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Is that new update supposed to take more than 30 minutes or is my Mac Mini bricked now?

Took me 5-8 mins on my mid 2011 MBA

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

awesome-express posted:

Took me 5-8 mins on my mid 2011 MBA

Oh poo poo. I'll see what happens in another hour.

How do you reboot to the recovery partition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
hold cmd + r after powering on mac