Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ponzicar posted:

If you've ever seen The Blob it would make perfect sense. Cold was its only weakness.

Ahhh, of course. I haven't seen The Blob but that's pretty excellent, it's so very like ZAMN to reward players with knowledge of such movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

joek0 posted:

Here is a link to the raw for GCCX#175: Nosferatu. Next episode is the season 17 finale. Nosferatu is a 2 part episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxOeekFC3JI

Also, there is a slight mistake on the sagccx website. In the episode guide, it says that Nosferatu is a NES game. It should instead say it is a SNES game.

I wonder if Season 18 will be cursed like the other multiples of 6. :ohdear: Can somebody ask Kan over Twitter?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Nosferatu looks pretty "gently caress you" hard. I had a big laugh when Matsui tells Arino how to do the stage select after the first stage and Arino's like, "If you're telling me this already..."

Is this the first time Matsumura has been on the show? I don't recognize her from anything else. Also, new AD (?) Kachibe looks uncannily like a female version of Nakayama.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Rochallor posted:

Nosferatu looks pretty "gently caress you" hard. I had a big laugh when Matsui tells Arino how to do the stage select after the first stage and Arino's like, "If you're telling me this already..."

Is this the first time Matsumura has been on the show? I don't recognize her from anything else. Also, new AD (?) Kachibe looks uncannily like a female version of Nakayama.

She was in Jogging Race during the Tamage, and when they were taping up Arino's legs. And I think in the Paris trip too for that mallet game.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Fooley posted:

She was in Jogging Race during the Tamage, and when they were taping up Arino's legs. And I think in the Paris trip too for that mallet game.

She debuted as the AD responsible for ordering lunches in #146, Karnov as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey, there's a special guest in an upcoming episode!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I hope his appearance on GCCX is as memorable as his appearance on Nintendo Direct:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Hey, there's a special guest in an upcoming episode!

How does his tan look?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I watched the Nosferatu RAW earlier and I gotta say it was one of the best episodes of the new season for me, since personally I think Season 17 has been somewhat lackluster. A great arcade trip segment, funny staff interaction (that trio of ladies!) and a tough game to challenge.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010

Obeast posted:

You should buy a second copy just in case, and to support getting more official English GCCX stuff over here. :)

I really bought a new version of the Retro Game Master DS game. Only because I felt so guilty that I bought the first one use. After that I gave that copy to a friend and bought a new one. I learned from the harshness of sales from that game that Arino-san needs all the good sales in American for him to be like Iron Chef was.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

I watched the Nosferatu RAW earlier and I gotta say it was one of the best episodes of the new season for me

Kibe finally danced!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

It's Arino's birthday today (February 25th), send the man in a message on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/arimorokoshi415

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

It's Arino's birthday today (February 25th), send the man in a message on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/arimorokoshi415

Is there no specific hashtag this year for Arino's Bday tweets?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

joek0 posted:

Is there no specific hashtag this year for Arino's Bday tweets?

Not that I know of, but he did post "I sure get a lot of Happy Birthday messages from overseas fans" a little while ago, so he's noticing.

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006

Sandata posted:

I really bought a new version of the Retro Game Master DS game. Only because I felt so guilty that I bought the first one use. After that I gave that copy to a friend and bought a new one. I learned from the harshness of sales from that game that Arino-san needs all the good sales in American for him to be like Iron Chef was.

Not to be a downer, but I wouldn't believe RGC is still in production, so I'm not sure buying new results in any sort of feedback up the chain since nothing is being bought to replace it. Getting more copies into the hands of others is where it helps most now, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
On a vaguely similar note, it's been a while since we heard anything from Discotek. If they were planning a second DVD we'd surely know about it by now, right?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Via Arino's Twitter:

"My birthday is over. Thank you for all the birthday messages, people of earth!"

and

"Which countries did the messages come from? I don't know how to search by country, people of earth!"

If you sent a birthday message, you were part of making his day today.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 25, 2014

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
http://kotaku.com/the-retro-game-master-movie-is-a-great-episode-but-a-te-1530289446

Sounds like nothing was re-filmed for the movie, its just the original episode blown up bigger, mixed with the movie segments (also, spoilers in the review, but they are marked).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
How dare Kotak post about GCCX. They should've talked about it ya know, a couple years ago

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Not to defend or give good old KOTAK too much credit for, well, really anything but if that's how the movie plays out it does sound pretty drat awful. Ever since the movie was announced I had a hard time understanding or imagining how to turn a show like GCCX into a ~2 hour motion picture. But when plot details started trickling in, it didn't sound so bad. It sure as hell had nothing to do with "Game Cener CX" the show we're all used to watching, in all honesty, but it sounded like it could be a cute movie with some serious 80s videogame nostalgia and all that jive. So, close enough I guess and I was sure it'd at least be charming or funny.

From reading the review (and the spoilers in it), it sounds pretty cliche and boring for the actual movie portion of the movie and just "what the hell were they thinking?" for re-using old episode footage blown up for the big screen. Was that really necessary? Why even have that old footage in the movie at all? And the spoilers that they have make it sound really stupid, too. So the kid is suddenly time traveling AND teleporting just to fail at playing Mighty Bomb Jack with Arino for a minute and then sits back down in the audience? I assume he is then magically transported and time traveled back to being a kid and getting the game to the girl? What the hell? I really don't get it at all. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though and just blame KOTAK for being godawful at explaining and reviewing things. Maybe it actually makes sense in the context of the movie somehow.

I'm kind of baffled at how this turned out, even though I don't wanna judge it too harshly (or really at all) without having seen even a second of it. It does sound pretty crappy though :( Maybe they should've gone with Kibes idea after all :v:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

gunstarheroes posted:

http://kotaku.com/the-retro-game-master-movie-is-a-great-episode-but-a-te-1530289446

Sounds like nothing was re-filmed for the movie, its just the original episode blown up bigger, mixed with the movie segments (also, spoilers in the review, but they are marked).
I could've sworn someone around here mentioned that Arino and Inoue (and maybe some other staff, I don't remember) had to lose weight to look like they did back when they originally did Mighty Bomb Jack to film new footage that took place around that time. :confused:

Still, it sucks to hear that it's not that good. Hopefully other people who've seen it might have a better opinion about it. :(

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Game Center CX is to me sort of a weird relaxing familiarity-TV anyway. Games I like getting played with some fun recurring people. Have something else to partially distract yourself and sit back and enjoy sort of deal. I am not at all surprised if the movie sort of fails as a movie, because the TV show itself is sort of part of the currently ultra-modern slow TV trend. It is not supposed to be hugely exciting for an hour straight, it is just sort of relaxed fun and perhaps a tense moment or two tossed in at times.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

At least Kibe's book sounds good

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

I'll still watch it if/when I'm able to. It doesn't sound any worse than The Wizard, which also two pretty weird plotlines going on, although they were a bit more related (its been a while).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

rdbbb posted:

At least Kibe's book sounds good

But...I wanted a good Game Center CX movie! :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah that sounds exactly as bad as I was expecting it to be. I really didn't have high hopes for the production at any point, to be honest. The way to go would have been to do somethng like Wayne's World, where you take the basic premise of Arino with his little show and have him go on some kind of larger wacky adventure where he's a fish out of water but his video gaming skills still come into play at the end. Hell maybe do the very cliched tv show to movie thing where he becomes too big and famous and loses sight of his friends from the old show, until he finds out Inoko Max is wrestling hobos for cans of beans and realizes he's sold out.

But those ideas, while dumb and cliched, also sound well beyond the abilities of everyone involved in the production, except Arino himself.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The way that film is described makes it sound like an utter abomination, which is a shame because GCCX deserves nothing but the best.

I don't know how they thought splicing in outdated clips of GCCX that everyone who likes it has surely seen alongside an extraneous plot would be a good idea, but they can't all be winners.

What they should have done is have Arino do a Moshi Moshi Tactics thingy into the past to get help and stuff on a new challenge.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Aurain posted:

What they should have done is have Arino do a Moshi Moshi Tactics thingy into the past to get help and stuff on a new challenge.

They should have done one of the "Live at the Met"-style theatrical simulcasts with this idea.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
As you know, I've read the script. But what I didn't say is I also had the privilege of getting a sneak preview of the completed film, and I think that review is being a little too harsh. I disagree with the claim that there's absolutely nothing tying together the two stories in theme. There are parallels to their stories. The theme is how rewarding it can be to fight against seemingly impossible odds, even if if's for something as trivial as wanting to beat a video game. Both Arino and Daisuke grow a little from their experiences, even though Arino triumphs but Daisuke doesn't (although he does manage to get his game back). The theme song sums up the message the movie wants to deliver (according to Kan), which is that whether you're a kid or an adult, life is full of struggles.

I do wish so much of it wasn't reused footage from the TV show. It's probably a way to promote the TV show to moviegoers who've never seen it. I never even thought about how it might look on the big screen, too... But that's the worst of it, in my opinion. The movie is far from terrible. I'm hoping it'll be successful enough that 1. Arino and co. can go to Las Vegas, and 2. they can make a second film, this time with less reused footage.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 25, 2014

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

zari-gani posted:

As you know, I've read the script. But what I didn't say is I also had the privilege of getting a sneak preview of the completed film, and I think that review is being a little too harsh. I disagree with the claim that there's absolutely nothing tying together the two stories in theme. There are parallels to their stories. The theme is how rewarding it can be to fight against seemingly impossible odds, even if if's for something as trivial as wanting to beat a video game. Both Arino and Daisuke grow a little from their experiences, even though Arino triumphs but Daisuke doesn't (although he does manage to get his game back). The theme song sums up the message the movie wants to deliver (according to Kan), which is that whether you're a kid or an adult, life is full of struggles.

I do wish so much of it wasn't re-used footage from the TV show. It's probably a way to promote the TV show to moviegoers who've never seen it. I never even thought about how it might look on the big screen, too... But that's the worst of it, in my opinion. The movie is far from terrible.

Do you remember if anybody from the show had a cameo in the past? One of the trailers had someone who I'm pretty sure was Toujima.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fooley posted:

Do you remember if anybody from the show had a cameo in the past? One of the trailers had someone who I'm pretty sure was Toujima.

I can promise you there were metric tons of cameos. I haven't seen the film, myself, but I have seen footage from the movie in recent episodes and they include more staff members than you can shake a stick at.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Fooley posted:

There are lots of staff member cameos. Some of them are really hard to catch. I haven't even spotted them all yet, so I'm going to have to watch it again and look carefully at the people in the background. I didn't even notice Nakayama until they showed him in a behind-the-scenes look in a recent episode.

ETA: Oh yeah, and I'm credited for the poster! When they asked me how I wanted my name to be written out, I requested it to be in English so that it stands out against the sea of kanji.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 25, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That is way too cool.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

zari-gani posted:

ETA: Oh yeah, and I'm credited for the poster! When they asked me how I wanted my name to be written out, I requested it to be in English so that it stands out against the sea of kanji.

I'm so loving proud of where this thread has taken you and the show.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I'm so loving proud of where this thread has taken you and the show.

Yeah thank god for this thread, think of where GCCX and ZG would be without it!

Edit: Seriously though thats awesome Zari Gani, congratulations.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 26, 2014

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

I disagree with the claim that there's absolutely nothing tying together the two stories in theme. There are parallels to their stories. The theme is how rewarding it can be to fight against seemingly impossible odds, even if if's for something as trivial as wanting to beat a video game. Both Arino and Daisuke grow a little from their experiences, even though Arino triumphs but Daisuke doesn't (although he does manage to get his game back). The theme song sums up the message the movie wants to deliver (according to Kan), which is that whether you're a kid or an adult, life is full of struggles.

I agree, it just had too much reused footage. I'd have liked to seen more of the 1986 segments.

Here's my spoiler-loaded synopsis of the 1986 parts if anyone's interested.
http://pastebin.com/x1AtBtiS

And here's the program, I'll upload scans when I have some time.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm not really surprised to see the reactions to the movie.

I think altering the framing device slightly would have made it at least a bit better. I would start the movie with a challenge at Budokan and emphasise that this was the biggest challenge in the show's history. The 1986 storyline would feature Arino himself and have his struggles as a kid mirror what was happening during the live challenge. As the 1986 storyline climaxes we see Arino of the present drawing on his failures/successes as a child in order to overcome the challenge.

Or just make Famicom Rocky: The Movie.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That's awesome. Maybe you can get your SAG card if they don't look up the katakana. :v:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Thanks all. Just wanted to mention that although Kibe is in my poster, he's not in the movie at all. He didn't even go near the movie set. The script didn't indicate exactly which clips from the MBJ challenge were going to be used, so just to be safe, I threw him in there. Kan had no objections, so I guess it's fine. Suda, Abe and Kan aren't in the movie either (except for Kan's narration, and Suda & Abe make cameos I haven't spotted yet), but it feels weird that Kibe is so prominently featured. I guess it's okay since he's a driving force behind GCCX and his movie idea wasn't used...

Kakaricho posted:

I agree, it just had too much reused footage. I'd have liked to seen more of the 1986 segments.

Looking at user reviews, pretty much everyone feels the same way. Enjoyable story, too much MBJ Challenge.

Here's the actress from the movie posing with a display at Cine Libre in Ikebukuro. No clue why my unrelated art is up there.

Arino pretending to be Arino.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
That's comedy gold. At first I thought the picture on the left was a really bad caricature of Arino before I noticed the body behind it.