Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Don't adjust the truss rod for anything that isn't real reason for it. Your neck has to be slightly bowed when the guitar is tuned up. Best way to check this is to depress the same string on 2nd and 14th fret, and check the clearance between the string and 7th fret. If it's anything above (or below) 1.5mm (0.06in) you need to adjust the truss rod. Just don't forget to re-tune each time you touch the truss rod. Typical reasons to adjust the truss rods are changing string gauges, or moving the instrument from dry to humid environment (or vice versa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Describing and quantifying tone is hard. Everyone knows what "bad" tone sounds like, and most everyone should be able to pick out a J, a P, a Rick, a Stingray, and a hollowbody in the most general terms by sound. Past that, it's like trying to say one color is "better" than another, you know?

I've been a J-bass guy for the last ten or so years, favoring just a smidge towards the back pickup to get more definition, which works fantastically in heavier or denser mixes. I just like that little quack you get from the back pickup of a J with roundwounds. For the last few years I've also kept a P with flats on hand, as well as an electric upright, both sit fantastically as the mixes get sparser.

Guys whose tone I love: Stu Zender, Paul Turner, Rocco, Tim Commerford, Chris Squire, Pino, Janek Gwizdala, Richard Bona, Robert DeLeo, Steve DiGiorgio.

But (if you want to talk about pretentiousness) my main rig is the best bass tone I've ever heard or played in my life.

Soooo I have had my new bass (Ibanez SR1400E) for several days now and I'm in love with the Nordstrand big singles. Like you, I think my tone is now one of the best I've ever heard, and I think these pickups are the center-piece of it all. This bass even sounds good through my old boomy Peavey TNT115, a rare feat.

The video you posted was a deciding factor for me in buying this bass.

I want to try out more Nordstrand stuff.. and I'm wondering if big singles would fit in my early model Peavey Grind.. I feel like these pickups would do any bass justice.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

adary posted:

Don't adjust the truss rod for anything that isn't real reason for it. Your neck has to be slightly bowed when the guitar is tuned up. Best way to check this is to depress the same string on 2nd and 14th fret, and check the clearance between the string and 7th fret. If it's anything above (or below) 1.5mm (0.06in) you need to adjust the truss rod. Just don't forget to re-tune each time you touch the truss rod. Typical reasons to adjust the truss rods are changing string gauges, or moving the instrument from dry to humid environment (or vice versa)

Yeah, spend the $5 and get a set of feeler gauges. Being able to set your relief accurately and consistently makes a big difference.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

adary posted:

1.5mm is Ibanez's suggested ACTION at the 14th fret (don't press strings, measure in playing position, adjust with saddle height), the suggested RELIEF is 0.3 - 0.5mm (depress at first and thirteenth fret measure at eighth fret, adjust with truss rod)... don't get those two mixed up, or your not going to have a good time.

Now, most basses and guitars, the highest part of the fretboard is essentially straight (same with the lowest part, but it's more obvious at the highest frets). After setting the relief and action (in that order!) if your highest fret, 24th for the SR505, is closer to the strings than the 15th, you got yourself a "ski slope" there, mister. Solution to that is a shim, which is a tale for another day...

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I took it to a guitar tech. He confirmed that the 15th fret is low, and the 16th and 17th are a bit low too, so fixing the 15th will just move the problem up the fretboard.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I would really like some instruction on how to transition into a more musical style - I've been learning from the Bass Method books and I can play a great variety of sheet music in different keys, tempos, time-signatures and styles: but applying this to a 'real' song is incredibly difficult, as is inventing a bassline that doesn't meander without thought. Is there an intermediate step?

Thanks,

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
In terms of applying it to playing songs you're listening to, with time you'll be able to pick out what key and mode they're playing in, and will be able to just hop right in. You should be able to determine if they're playing major or minor pretty easily, and just hop in with the root and go from there. It really is just ear training and will involve a lot of trial and error.

As for writing a bass line... it's really hard to describe, at least for my own method. It's really going to depend heavily on the style of music, the beat/rhythm that's present (or not), and just the overall feel of the song you want to convey.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Southern Heel posted:

I would really like some instruction on how to transition into a more musical style - I've been learning from the Bass Method books and I can play a great variety of sheet music in different keys, tempos, time-signatures and styles: but applying this to a 'real' song is incredibly difficult, as is inventing a bassline that doesn't meander without thought. Is there an intermediate step?

Thanks,

Just remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4

You know?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This is the greatest bass instructional video I've ever seen.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Just in Valen-time!

New DR Neons. So far, so good, other than playing on coated strings feels a bit weird from having gone from uncoated ones.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

EvilChameleon posted:

Just in Valen-time!

New DR Neons. So far, so good, other than playing on coated strings feels a bit weird from having gone from uncoated ones.

Neato, keep us updated on how the coating holds up.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EvilChameleon posted:

Nice! They will feel weird for a while, but you'll soon get used to them. Those reds are seriously bright!

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
So, I'm picking my bass back up after not playing for a few years, and I've discovered I lost a lot of my random equipment. I found a decent-looking metronome phone app, but I'm having trouble finding any tuners. I can find a billion guitar tuners, but when I try them with the bass they don't really work.

Anyone have a good recommendation for an iOS bass tuner app?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Dr. Platypus posted:

So, I'm picking my bass back up after not playing for a few years, and I've discovered I lost a lot of my random equipment. I found a decent-looking metronome phone app, but I'm having trouble finding any tuners. I can find a billion guitar tuners, but when I try them with the bass they don't really work.

Garageband's tuner works okay. iPhone mics suck at picking up bass frequencies

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
That'd explain why the chromatic one I downloaded was going all over the place. I'll try that out when I get home, thanks!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The PolyTune app works fine for me, just play harmonics at the 12th fret, and through an amp.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I'd recommend Pitch Lab but apparently Apple charges $1.99 for it and its free tester version is god awfully limited and ugly.

Made me look like a drat fool when I recommended it to friends, because I loved it so much on the Android market. Guess I already looked like a fool for having android :smugdroid:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Laying down rhythm tracks for the band's EP this week, and got in a good 5 hours yesterday afternoon. drat do I love my Lakland...

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have some poo poo for you all to check out. Also, the VT Bass makes an absolutely great studio pre.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Scarf posted:

Laying down rhythm tracks for the band's EP this week, and got in a good 5 hours yesterday afternoon. drat do I love my Lakland...

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have some poo poo for you all to check out. Also, the VT Bass makes an absolutely great studio pre.

I'm in the market for one right now too! On another pedal related question i've got, do you know anything about the soundblox bass envelope filter? it seems really nifty for the price and comes with a ton of sounds but I was wondering if another pedal has more quality built in it? The moog pedals would seem like the next step but they are waaay too expensive.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Dr. Platypus posted:

Guitar Toolkit is the one most worth dropping a couple bucks on, in my opinion - especially if you also play guitar.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Ericadia posted:

Soooo I have had my new bass (Ibanez SR1400E) for several days now and I'm in love with the Nordstrand big singles. Like you, I think my tone is now one of the best I've ever heard, and I think these pickups are the center-piece of it all. This bass even sounds good through my old boomy Peavey TNT115, a rare feat.

The video you posted was a deciding factor for me in buying this bass.

I want to try out more Nordstrand stuff.. and I'm wondering if big singles would fit in my early model Peavey Grind.. I feel like these pickups would do any bass justice.

Glad the video helped!

Yeah, you can even get a Sadowsky with Big Singles nowadays. They just have this extra *something* no other pickup I've heard has. And I think you can get them in an EMG-sized shell as well - check bestbassgear.com, that's the best place to grab them.

I've had Nordstrands in two separate J basses and a PJ as well as all of my Stambaughs, and I'm really looking forward to getting a set for my newest PJ. (All of my basses are designed around pickups - going to run a P+Big Split in my next Stambaugh 5 and a pair of dual coils in a Singlecut 6. Just wish they made upright pickups!) I'm also considering switching from Aguilar preamps in my Stambaughs to Nordstrand's - they're cheaper than the Pope preamp but the EQ is supposedly a bit more controllable and centered better than the Aguilar OBP3 I'm running.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Odddzy posted:

I'm in the market for one right now too! On another pedal related question i've got, do you know anything about the soundblox bass envelope filter? it seems really nifty for the price and comes with a ton of sounds but I was wondering if another pedal has more quality built in it? The moog pedals would seem like the next step but they are waaay too expensive.

No personal experience, but I like the sounds I've heard from them. Pretty sure Mike Gordon of Phish is/was using one for a while.

I've actually considered getting one myself, but I keep putting it off. I honestly love my EHX Enigma for just a great, straight-forward, wet envelope filter with plenty of tweakability. It doesn't have as wide a variety of sounds as that Source Audio pedal does, but it has a great sound to it.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Do y'all think a coliseum bass or a acoustic 470 through an emperor 610 will keep up with a v4(guitar) through a half stack (full?)

problem is that it will be running at 8 ohms but from what I've heard is that it's not a drastic fall off from the volume standpoint but not super sure.

if not hat vintage bass amp would you suggest that wont break the bank, under a grand for sure.

ps if y'all know anyone selling any of these, lemme know!

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 18, 2014

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone here use/played with a Darkglass Duality? I've only seen promo videos but I really liked what I saw/heard.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
anyone have any black/silverface sunn coliseum bass, or beta bass heads they'd be willing to part with? i'm looking for both slave and main units but speficially slave units. ebay sellers don't ship overseas..

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hi bass thread! I've decided to try and start playing bass; I played guitar for a while but my buddy who wants to play with me is a lot better than I am. Looking at these two on Craigslist:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/4326495861.html

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/4326643155.html

I want to play mostly punk & metal, any opinions on which is a better deal/better sound for that?

Thanks!

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Evan Montegarde posted:

Hi bass thread! I've decided to try and start playing bass; I played guitar for a while but my buddy who wants to play with me is a lot better than I am. Looking at these two on Craigslist:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/4326495861.html

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/4326643155.html

I want to play mostly punk & metal, any opinions on which is a better deal/better sound for that?

Thanks!

I would say the spector + Line VI amp. Same price and slightly better rig in my opinion

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

adary posted:

I would say the spector + Line VI amp. Same price and slightly better rig in my opinion

Thanks, I'm going to pick it up later tonight for $350! I am really excited to join y'all in playing bass.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Evan Montegarde posted:

Thanks, I'm going to pick it up later tonight for $350! I am really excited to join y'all in playing bass.

Congratulations, everyone will want you for their band.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I'm looking for a new set of pickups to put in my 5-string Jazz bass and I've been looking into Nordstrands. Anyone have any experience/opinions on these? I love the "traditional" Jazz sound but I also want something a little hotter. If anyone else has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Hi bass thread.

I'm still wanting to learn the bass, but now I actually have a job!
So in theory I will have money at some point!

I've been looking at the epiphone performance starter pack
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Packs/Toby-Bass-Performance-Pack.aspx
Because it's pretty cheap and comes with pretty much everything I guess I need?
Also has my name plastered all over it, which helps.

Is that a decent bundle for around 200€ or would I be better off just buying some 150€ bass?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

organburner posted:

Hi bass thread.

I'm still wanting to learn the bass, but now I actually have a job!
So in theory I will have money at some point!

I've been looking at the epiphone performance starter pack
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Packs/Toby-Bass-Performance-Pack.aspx
Because it's pretty cheap and comes with pretty much everything I guess I need?
Also has my name plastered all over it, which helps.

Is that a decent bundle for around 200€ or would I be better off just buying some 150€ bass?

That kind of kit can be nice to start with, but I'd be wary of buying Epiphone sight unseen. They're notorious for poor QC. Maybe look into a peavey, ibanez, or squier starter kit instead (unless you are dead set on having that tobias)

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Ericadia posted:

That kind of kit can be nice to start with, but I'd be wary of buying Epiphone sight unseen. They're notorious for poor QC. Maybe look into a peavey, ibanez, or squier starter kit instead (unless you are dead set on having that tobias)

I found a place that sells these kits
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/na/products/jumpstart/IJSR190.html

They are more expensive but come with more stuff. It does cost like 300€ though.
The problem is that there isn't really any music store close to me, nearest one is 2 hours away by car, and since I'm new at this I don't know what to look/listen for.

Also I keep seeing Harley-Bentons and they are cheeeaaaaap but I've never heard of them before, are they just cheap poo poo?

I'll keep looking around though, not really in a hurry with this as such.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

organburner posted:

I found a place that sells these kits
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/na/products/jumpstart/IJSR190.html

They are more expensive but come with more stuff. It does cost like 300€ though.
The problem is that there isn't really any music store close to me, nearest one is 2 hours away by car, and since I'm new at this I don't know what to look/listen for.

Also I keep seeing Harley-Bentons and they are cheeeaaaaap but I've never heard of them before, are they just cheap poo poo?

I'll keep looking around though, not really in a hurry with this as such.

Stay away from Harley-Benton as far as you can. It's a chinese mass produced poo poo with a flashy name. If i'm not mistaken they are pretty much limited to one big chain in germany that has them mass produced.

Not that the Epiphone one is any better. They try to monetize on a name that was once great (Tobias).

If you can go for Squier or Ibanez starter kit. A lot more bang for the buck.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Okay, thanks, managed to find that ibanez jumpstart pack for 250€. I think in the end it might save me money since it comes with headphones and a guitar stand, so really the difference (compared to the epiphone pack) is at most like 20-30€

Now the biggest question is, do I want it in red or black?
Gonna take a long good think to figure that out.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

organburner posted:

Okay, thanks, managed to find that ibanez jumpstart pack for 250€. I think in the end it might save me money since it comes with headphones and a guitar stand, so really the difference (compared to the epiphone pack) is at most like 20-30€

Having a guitar stand is a nice touch imo, and something I'd want any student of mine to have. Having the bass out in the open helps encourage practice.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Glad the video helped!

Yeah, you can even get a Sadowsky with Big Singles nowadays. They just have this extra *something* no other pickup I've heard has. And I think you can get them in an EMG-sized shell as well - check bestbassgear.com, that's the best place to grab them.

I've had Nordstrands in two separate J basses and a PJ as well as all of my Stambaughs, and I'm really looking forward to getting a set for my newest PJ. (All of my basses are designed around pickups - going to run a P+Big Split in my next Stambaugh 5 and a pair of dual coils in a Singlecut 6. Just wish they made upright pickups!) I'm also considering switching from Aguilar preamps in my Stambaughs to Nordstrand's - they're cheaper than the Pope preamp but the EQ is supposedly a bit more controllable and centered better than the Aguilar OBP3 I'm running.

I'm toying with the idea of putting some nordstrand p-bass pickups and a preamp in my warlock. Might get a new bridge for it too if I go that route, the stock bridge is a POS and bending a little.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

organburner posted:

Look at wisdom of Henry Ford: You can have any color you like as long as it's black :)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
It looks like I might be on the road for a little while and I'm thinking about bringing my bass along.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of smallish, portable component that will let me plug in my bass, an ipod and my headphones so I can play to my favorite tunes straight to headphones. Even better if it had effects included that I could use to add color to my bass tone without affecting the incoming music from my ipod.

Does such a beast exist?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well there's these things
http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/
The bass one has a compressor and overdrive boost, unless you're looking for choruses and whatever

Here's the Woot shilling for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2CN_LHrUo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finally finished up the rhythm tracks for my band's EP (minus a few punch-ins I need to do). I FINALLY convince our drummer to record without a click-track, on a pretty tricky song, the last one, at the very end of our time... and when we get done he asks if we could go back and record all of them without a click. I was trying to suggest that the entire time, and now we're out of time...

I've always been anti-click track, always will.